Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

Not necessarily true, but only Dan could tell us for sure .
    The piece described in the eBay listing is described as a LESHER STRIP and the Lesher tokens are smaller then the owl slugs .
    The Leshers may fit back in the holes perfectly like a puzzle .
    I have a huge group of them , so I could have made an interesting nine piece or cut it up and made smaller ones as I have a few three piece sets of Leshers (brilliant,color toned,antique)

I'd like a strip with a few non-cut Lesher or owls struck directly on the strip. That would be neat

Or he could cut them, but them place them back in the spots when striking them, so they they enlarged in the hole, and get "stuck" there. I too was wondering if the cutouts would fit back in their holes... guess I will find out soon.

Please let us know your results I'm really curious now in case another comes along . I actually had the bid loaded and watched the seconds tick down , but at the final moment decided I had too many other fires burning .
    Kind of sorry now I didn't go to wa with you .. lol
    That 9 hole strip could make for a really interesting framed piece if they end up fitting .
    Good Luck with it !!!

An idea for you :smile:
    Get two blank Leshers and flip them with the portrait side facing forward and place them on the ends and maybe one in the middle . There are multiple varieties so you could mix them up .
    That would leave either 7 to face forward with imprints or two sets of three on each side of the center piece .

I hope you do it

I wish there was a little more silver in between the holes.. it would make cutting them a lot easier. I think 2 holes would be a cool length to cut them. That way you could display it with an obverse and a reverse showing.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2017 9:35PM

Cancel Dies Morgan shipped.

Real happy I got one.

;^)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got the email that my order shipped !

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto! Looking forward to hunk o' silver!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Just got the email that my order shipped !

Shipped also....

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Or he could cut them, but them place them back in the spots when striking them, so they they enlarged in the hole, and get "stuck" there. I too was wondering if the cutouts would fit back in their holes... guess I will find out soon.

The struck Leshers will not fit into the strip holes. In fact, the punched blanks won't even fit back into the holes without some "massaging" of the blanks.

Regarding the existence of these signed strips, when a friend and good customer asks in person to buy a signed one, it is hard to say "no". Either way, somebody is probably not going to be happy. Regardless, I never did ascribe a significant value to them above the melt price.

The hologram shim that I have been using is getting harder to use. As noted, the holographic effect is not very strong. But a real eclipse doesn't look like a hologram either.

Anyway, I will probably discontinue the hologram version soon. I will instead carry on with a lower-priced non-holographic version (possibly in copper and/or brass in addition to silver).

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    The hologram shim that I have been using is getting harder to use. As noted, the holographic effect is not very strong. But a real eclipse doesn't look like a hologram either.

Anyway, I will probably discontinue the hologram version soon. I will instead carry on with a lower-priced non-holographic version (possibly in copper and/or brass in addition to silver).

Dan, could you tell us about the holographic shim. What's the size and cost etc, thanks for any info.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Ditto! Looking forward to hunk o' silver!

Double ditto!!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2017 6:03PM

The solar eclipse is now discontinued on Dan's website.

@dcarr Please order another shim for future products. I like your creativity with these, especially the Knights of the Coin Table Merlin piece.

http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-2-1.aspx

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

As noted, the holographic effect is not very strong. But a real eclipse doesn't look like a hologram either.

Captured for the record.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:
    @dcarr said:

As noted, the holographic effect is not very strong. But a real eclipse doesn't look like a hologram either.

Captured for the record.

Why? Do you think a real eclipse looks like a hologram?

The more you VAM..
    edited July 5, 2017 12:50PM

@CascadeChris said:

Man, you just tee it up so I can hit it out of the park.

Of course I don't think a solar eclipse looks like a hologram, but a coin promoted as a hologram effect, sold and shipped should have a hologram on it. At least a hologram I can discern.

The concept that a hologram coin depicting an eclipse is not a representation of reality, is suggested by DC, not me.

Where you came up with this, I have no idea.

All I thought was that there should be a hologram on my RE eclipse coin.

Discussion of eclipse hologram shims in this thread shows it was the last of the last.

Look, here's the deal, I sat on the back porch rotating that RE sucker with full sun, moved to filtered light, light of my living room - guess what? No hologram reflection.

@epcjimi1 said:

@CascadeChris said:

Of course I don't think a solar eclipse looks like a hologram, but a coin promoted as a hologram effect, sold and shipped should have a hologram on it. At least a hologram I can discern.

The concept that a hologram coin depicting an eclipse is not a representation of reality, is suggested by DC, not me.

Discussion of eclipse hologram shims in this thread shows it was the last of the last.

Look, here's the deal, I sat on the back porch rotating that RE sucker with full sun, moved to filtered light, light of my living room - guess what? No hologram reflection.

Sell it to me then.

Out of the park? More like a bunt.

My coins have a nice subtle hologram on them. Fully visible just not as strong as the Merlin and I wouldn't want it as strong as the Merlin given the design. If you don't like it or believe it to be a manufacturing error Dan will exchange or refund with no questions. And now you have a 3rd option of selling it to jwitten.

The more you VAM..
    edited July 5, 2017 1:15PM

Mine look their best in a dark room with low indirect light, but hey, that's just me.

edited July 5, 2017 1:15PM

@CascadeChris said:
    Out of the park? More like a bunt.

To score a runner from third base.

My coins have a nice subtle hologram on them

Where did this idea of "subtle" hologram come from?

And now you have a 3rd option of selling it to jwitten.

Man, you guys work close, sorry to disappoint the jwitten.

edit: didn't see the jwitten offer, sorry, no dice, pm that user for details The Bs'ers post is funny.

edited July 5, 2017 1:13PM
    The more you VAM..

Naw, not for me,, but thanks for the info

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:
    @dcarr said:

Captured for the record.

I received both tyes of these... I saw initial comments about the prominance of the hologram. I find when these are angled in direct light the effect is greatest and enhances the eclipse image, any more would distract from the image. Thanks for the offering, glad I got mine. Looking forward to future offerings

(l8-)>>

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody get their newps from the second round of shipping yet??

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

@BruceS said:
    Anybody get their newps from the second round of shipping yet??

I think shipping times may be a little slower than normal due to the holiday week.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

My shipment is here! But.....I have to wait till 8:30am Monday morning...I missed the mailman. :(

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Hate missing mail man when I have mail with sig, confirmation but lucky for me I find mail man in my neighborhood and he lets me sign and gives me my mail

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got both my orders today. I really like the 1 1/2 ounce CG owl, nice and heavy. The treasure cobs are nice too. Eclipse as others have said, has very little noticeable holo effect, but nice nonetheless. All in all a very nice group, and worth the wait.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

HaHa! Just 2 days ago I saw the mailman who works my routes filling up his vehicle at the gas station, and I had a different delivery confirmation that I missed. I hit him up at the pumps, signed, and road off happily on my way!

Wish usps had tracking devices on these vehicles...maybe I'll chuck a pocket finder under seat next time. ;)

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭

My order stuck in Denver since 7/5... :( ...Oh well...

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2017 7:08PM

Got mine yesterday. RE hologram, owl slug, cancelled Morgan and others. They are all nice. Love the X-cancelled Morgan. It's nice and flashy and the cancellation marks reflect the light well. The RE hologram is nice as a non-hologram coin if you rotate it in natural light. The hologram effect requires direct light to see on mine but then hologram shows like you are seeing a secret, something special. My indian / owl slug has a satin look to it which is nice. It would be great to have a brilliant piece with luster to go with it.

picked me up another one of these mintage 261 HG cant have to many! http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_5.htm

I know I posted before but just wanted to mention the coin Dan posted above only 25 minted 4oz hologram you dont need much light for it I love this coin

edited July 9, 2017 6:00AM

Hey Dan the 1964 die 6 PL from your sight says MS-66 PL ! so if you had a ms 68 that would be about the best you could do right ?
    http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-3.aspx

I have been trying to post something more interesting than my coin has shipped!

@1940coupe said:
    I have been trying to post something more interesting than my coin has shipped!

Keep 'em coming, me likey.

edited July 9, 2017 7:02AM

I think these are are Dans first overstrick coins maybe wrong ? but they are very desirable with thick mint mark! only 368 with full crescent !
    http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-2-1.aspx

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel's 2008 Knights of the Coin Table (KOTCT) "Award Medal" with full moon reverse design is one of my favorites, mintage of 10...

This is the regular 2008 KOTCT shield design reverse, matte finish, mintage of 27...

Dan Fan

I'm crossing my fingers delivery happens tomorrow since several report receiving their orders. I didn't receive a tracking number so I hoping blind.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 9:44AM

Now that is a herd of "Merlins" if I ever saw one !

Dan Fan
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

,> @Kudbegud said:

I'm crossing my fingers delivery happens tomorrow since several report receiving their orders. I didn't receive a tracking number so I hoping blind.

It's free to sign-up for Informed Delivery at usps.com.

Then, you can automatically get tracking numbers & email alerts of your incoming packages.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:
    ,> @Kudbegud said:

It's free to sign-up for Informed Delivery at usps.com.

Then, you can automatically get tracking numbers & email alerts of your incoming packages.

Yes, I've been signed up for years. Nothing shows originating in Colorado. I'm actually clear of all tracking right now having received two packages yesterday. But I've experienced this with shipments from Dan before. The package just shows up and no email progress from the USPS. I'll email Dan again for the tracking number.

@Bullsitter said:
    These are at ANACS being graded, hope to have grades by late July.

Ugh! You bought that black & gold one on eBay back when they came out Chief? I was thinking about getting it but the price was such that I wanted to mull it over and before I could it was gonzo. That one is sweet looking and what, only 5 or 6 were made

The more you VAM..

Ugh! You bought that black & gold one on eBay back when they came out Chief? I was thinking about getting it but the price was such that I wanted to mull it over and before I could it was gonzo. That one is sweet looking and what, only 5 or 6 were made

That's it, it's the MS Plated version with 13 made.

Dan had 29 versions available but only 27 versions sold, some with only a mintage of one.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

My group arrived, all are great.

Need something designed and 3D printed?

@epcjimi1 said:

@CascadeChris said:

Sell it to me then.> @LindyS said:

Have you received this yet? I bought the other one, and have not received mine yet. Hmm.

No.

Lindy

Gee just like I said earlier

@LindyS said:
    No.

Lindy

Have you asked them about it? Hey, even if we don't get them, it was worth a shot. We would get our money back and the seller gets stuck with a few negatives, lol.

edited July 10, 2017 1:06PM

No. I realized I had done a prior DC transaction with them. That deal wasn't quick, but I did get that goodie after some time passed so I remain patient. I can understand if someone gets overwhelmed with the delivery of goods, I'm sure the long strip is an oddball item to mail.

I am also waiting on a two piece DC orders 13332, 13352 that "shipped" July 3. Its not showing up at MY USPS account as being shipped or delivered.

Lindy

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    ... I am also waiting on a two piece DC orders 13332, 13352 that "shipped" July 3. Its not showing up at MY USPS account as being shipped or delivered.

Lindy

July 3rd I received emails that both my orders shipped -- presumably in the same package, because MyUSPS shows only one tracking number.

My shipment was last scanned July 7th at 11pm in Los Angeles. "Expected Delivery Date" is still July 8th.

No updates yet... too soon to worry, I think.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file