Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    By the way, did anyone order more than 1 of the holgram eclipse rounded edge?

When I add more than 1 to my cart, this message pops up:
    "You are not allowed to purchase more than 1 of 2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, Rounded Edge."

I was only able to buy one as well. I'm HOPING that means it will be limited mintage. Last year, the 1.5 owls also limited how many you can buy. This year, it didn't. I hope that means he isn't minting to demand on them

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@U1chicago said:

"You are not allowed to purchase more than 1 of 2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, Rounded Edge."

I was only able to buy one as well. I'm HOPING that means it will be limited mintage. Last year, the 1.5 owls also limited how many you can buy. This year, it didn't. I hope that means he isn't minting to demand on them

Same here; I'm hoping the eclipse will be limited!
    The 1.5 owls seem like they will be either mint to demand or a fairly high number (maybe 300-400?).
    The owls actually allow you to add as many as you want (but only up to 999,999 each time...the system won't take 1,000,000...it will let you keep adding 999,999 though...anyone have the funds to buy that many :D ).

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Mr. Carr did say "I've had some requests from people who are in the path of the eclipse for larger quantities of the medals for them to re-sell. But my last holographic shim is not going to last forever. So I may do a lower-priced version without the holographic applique. Not sure yet."... That "could" mean an over-all greater population of plane finished examples, a much smaller population of "holographic applique" examples and much-much smaller sub-population (15) of "flat edge" examples. 3 varieties?

(l8-)>>

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

"1964-D" Morgan Silver fantasy issue, "X" Cancelled Dies, High-Grade Finish, Die Pair 1 Clashed, Brilliant Satin "No more than 100 will be produced from "X" cancelled dies"
    Out of stock!

(l8-)>>

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2017 1:07AM

@edgar said:
    "1964-D" Morgan Silver fantasy issue, "X" Cancelled Dies, High-Grade Finish, Die Pair 1 Clashed, Brilliant Satin "No more than 100 will be produced from "X" cancelled dies"
    Out of stock!

All the ones I had allocated for sale on the website been sold. I'll have fill orders and see how many are left after that (there are probably some). The maximum mintage that I announced for these is 100. So far, 77 have been minted. So 23 more may be produced and available for sale at a later time.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received shipping notice- should get this week! Cool!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 6:42PM

Perhaps the other orders are soon to follow.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all United States coins need to be 500 years old to be worth collecting.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Not all United States coins need to be 500 years old to be worth collecting.

Aahh...there was not even a United States five hundred years ago!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine have shipped also......yeehaa.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

my guess is unlimited mintage until the Denver show but 1 per person. I could be wrong.

edited June 19, 2017 7:14PM

Dan, could you please indicate on your mintage figures the Flat Edge Solar Eclipse medal, as a separate line item from your rounded edge medals? I'd appreciate if you'd separate from the 74 total, since the flat edge carried a premium, and we recognized this item as a notable rarity.

Thanks Dan,

Rich

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2017 8:10PM

@PocketArt said:
    Dan, could you please indicate on your mintage figures the Flat Edge Solar Eclipse medal, as a separate line item from your rounded edge medals? I'd appreciate if you'd separate from the 74 total, since the flat edge carried a premium, and we recognized this item as a notable rarity.

Thanks Dan,

Rich

He does mention it below the line items. That seems good enough for me. The line items usually dictate separate specific finishes

The more you VAM..
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I too probably spent more than I should of, but less than I wanted. Seems most of what was in the cart was a 'one per order' item but that's cool. I've been buying Dan's stuff for a decade or more and really enjoy the inspiration it provides. I've got a 5oz silver Tesla medal hanging in my shop just to remind me of what can be done with a cnc mill. Of course I still break bits and my feeds and speeds suck but I'm getting better.

I'll order some gold next week when my 3D printers finish their jobs.

Need something designed and 3D printed?

@CascadeChris said:

@PocketArt said:

Thanks Dan,

Rich

He does mention it below the line items. That seems good enough for me. The line items usually dictate separate specific finishes

True, but not all 74 Eclipse medals sold for $70 as indicated by Dan's figures. The 15 FE sold for $130. I'd think there would be a distinction for this variety, and would have been backed out from the 74? At least I would like to see that- but that's just me. I guess whatever Dan decides is cool- his Solar Eclipse medals are truly unique, and these items will undoubtedly be highly desirable down the road.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 7:53AM

I probably went overboard on the eclipse medals, but I really like the hologram effect.

Fortunately, I woke up around 2 30 AM EST ( a little insomnia) that morning when they were first offered, got on Dan's site and was able to purchase both the flat and round edge eclipse medals. Also got the Indian Gruber.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! That is a chunk.....Think that Indian might be like the Ind. head cent or the $10 gold with it being DANNY coifed up?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited June 20, 2017 11:19AM

@PocketArt said:

@CascadeChris said:

@PocketArt said:

Thanks Dan,

Rich

True, but not all 74 Eclipse medals sold for $70 as indicated by Dan's figures. The 15 FE sold for $130. I'd think there would be a distinction for this variety, and would have been backed out from the 74? At least I would like to see that- but that's just me. I guess whatever Dan decides is cool- his Solar Eclipse medals are truly unique, and these items will undoubtedly be highly desirable down the road.

Maybe if anything he could put (offered at $130) or something like that after the mention of them but I don't think they need a separate line item. His call though of course if he wants to do something like that.

The more you VAM..
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I think what may be an 'under seller'\ deal are the 2 gram silver Princess Head silver strikes.
    The 2016 only had 86 minted and took quite awhile to sell out.
    I purchased four, only $20 bucks each, liked the Owl reverse.
    The 1\10 ounce gold are killers.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:

The 1\10 ounce gold are killers.

Yep

edited June 20, 2017 12:05PM

SSSSSHHHHHHHHH... ;)

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 12:11PM

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    I think what may be an 'under seller'\ deal are the 2 gram silver Princess Head silver strikes.
    The 2016 only had 86 minted and took quite awhile to sell out.
    I purchased four, only $20 bucks each, liked the Owl reverse...

Inexpensive silver Owl. Low mintage. 2 for my Carr collection.

But maybe not enough profit for the flippers.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still, 2 gm coin for 20 seems a bit high at greater than $300/oz. Like the design however.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I am surprised more people have not commented on buying the X canceled Morgan

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

I'm waiting till I receive mine :)

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

Mine is on the way to me and I'll post photo when it arrives.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

@CascadeChris said:

@PocketArt said:

@CascadeChris said:

@PocketArt said:

Thanks Dan,

Rich

Maybe if anything he could put (offered at $130) or something like that after the mention of them but I don't think they need a separate line item. His call though of course if he wants to do something like that.

Dan did update his mintage figure page for Solar Eclipse medal, and did similar to what you had suggested. Glad it's indicated- thanks Dan!

edited June 21, 2017 8:45AM

Arrived this AM

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Nice pic.
    I see that it was from the clashed dies, cool!
    My order shipped yesterday, should arrive by Saturday. :)

I guess a "special" item needed to be ordered to get the ball rolling on shipping? My order still says "Payment Received" from 13 Jun 2017.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
    edited June 21, 2017 11:23AM

I suppose it depends if the item (s) you ordered were minted.
    When the 1964 Morgan and WWI items came out last October I had to wait at least 2 weeks for it to arrive.
    ETA, How could I forget the High-Relief Peace Dollar?

@Twobitcollector said:
    Arrived this AM

It appears he used a rotary device with a circular wheel maybe instead of the old hammer and chisel method. I get why he does it but if he handed me the instrument and ordered me to destroy the die it would be soooo damn hard work up the courage. A few shots of single malt would be required, and I'm not even much of a drinker!

The more you VAM..
    edited June 21, 2017 1:30PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Arrived this AM

It appears he used a rotary device with a circular wheel maybe instead of the old hammer and chisel method. I get why he does it but if he handed me the instrument and ordered me to destroy the die it would be soooo damn hard work up the courage. A few shots of single malt would be required, and I'm not even much of a drinker!

The task of destruction is ultimately swifter than the task of completion.
    Daniel has struck others with cancelled dies, would be an interesting set to have. (oh my aching wallet, however, I use my 'mad money' for such things...when I get mad I spend it!!!!!)

edited June 21, 2017 11:31AM

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    I suppose it depends if the item (s) you ordered were minted.
    When the 1964 Morgan and WWI items came out last October I had to wait at least 2 weeks for it to arrive.
    ETA, How could I forget the High-Relief Peace Dollar?

That is what I ordered (2017 100th Anniversary of WW1 Failure, 2-troy-oz 999 Silver)...it will get here.

I have the 2 oz WW1 failure, you'll really like it.

@oih82w8 said:
    I guess a "special" item needed to be ordered to get the ball rolling on shipping? My order still says "Payment Received" from 13 Jun 2017.

When a bunch of orders come in all at once, it can take a while to process them all.
    They are shipped in the order received. Orders up to about 13200 have been shipped.
    I need to make a few more of the small Clark Gruber silver (1/10 oz) and then shipping will resume tomorrow.

@CascadeChris said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Arrived this AM

Correct - I used a small ceramic cutting disk.

@dcarr said:

When a bunch of orders come in all at once, it can take a while to process them all.
    They are shipped in the order received. Orders up to about 13200 have been shipped.
    I need to make a few more of the small Clark Gruber silver (1/10 oz) and then shipping will resume tomorrow.

Thanks for the update Dan...it's all business...and business is seemingly good. Thank you for sharing your talent!

With any luck my FE eclipse will be here Saturday

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 6:42PM

@dcarr said:

@oih82w8 said:

Oohhh, I'm very close after that. Should be soon for mine!

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order# 13178 from June 13th shipped on June 20th and hopefully will arrive by Saturday. Daniel has the shipping department humming right along !

Dan Fan
  • FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

My order #13177, shipped on the 20th and with a bit of luck it could arrive tomorrow. Feel like a ten year old waiting for Christmas...it has been awhile since I've felt so eager for a package to come with so many goodies at once​. My poor wallet! Lucky me!

I think I'm most excited that I have a friend coming to visit in August. He's a history buff and I picked up an extra WWI Anniversary medal for him. I'm wondering if anyone else here has gifted a Dan Carr product to someone who is not a coin collector? If so, did the recipient like it?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FallGuy said:
    My order #13177, shipped on the 20th and with a bit of luck it could arrive tomorrow. Feel like a ten year old waiting for Christmas...it has been awhile since I've felt so eager for a package to come with so many goodies at once​. My poor wallet! Lucky me!

I think I'm most excited that I have a friend coming to visit in August. He's a history buff and I picked up an extra WWI Anniversary medal for him. I'm wondering if anyone else here has gifted a Dan Carr product to someone who is not a coin collector? If so, did the recipient like it?

I don't gift coins to my family & friends. None of them care about the hobby. Doesn't matter what I say; the extent of their interest is, "What's it worth?"

That said, I bet your friend will enjoy Dan's WWI token for its historical backstory:

Here's where I got the above card: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1917-high-relief-broken-sword-peace-clashed-morgan.289847/page-9#post-2638035

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@COCollector, much thanks for the link. I had the same thought, that the background would add a level of appreciation. I doubt it will make a convert but it does relate to an area of interest we share.

I have had the same experience overall when it comes to giving coins to family. My daughter makes a sincere effort to at least act interested because she sees how animated I become when sharing about the historical aspect of coins.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

More Good News ~ received shipping notice for order # 13217 this morning ! Now I will have to wait for the next version of the "Broken Sword" Peace Dollar ...

Dan Fan

@Voyageur said:
    More Good News ~ received shipping notice for order # 13217 this morning ! Now I will have to wait for the next version of the "Broken Sword" Peace Dollar ...

Getting closer...Heck fire, if I had to wait six weeks for a PCGS order, another week won't hurt on an outstanding Carr piece. Looking forward to it!

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 12:01PM

Sweet, Just 115 more orders filled & then I'll get my Canceled 64D Morgan shipped.
    I got lucky the 64D Cancelled Morgan became available for sale again on the 17th of June, just 5 days ago.

;^)

Lindy

@Voyageur said:

edited June 23, 2017 2:01PM

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky you ! Mine have not shipped yet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file