Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Missed out on the flat edge.

ditto

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited June 13, 2017 5:10AM

amount able to spend = $0

amount spent = $ :#

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Gots me the X cancelled, flat edge and the 1-1/2 oz Owl

Damn. That eclipse makes a great avatar @Twobitcollector !!

The more you VAM..
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got an eclipse (missed the flat edge), some 1.5 owls, a Lesher, Morgans, and some more peaces. Whoo hoo!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of the Indian design but got one anyway (the silver). Still like the 2015 best! Wonder why he did two types of the half oz gold? I like the Lesher [50] Dollar on page two actually the best.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got in around 3:20 am CST this morning.

Small Gold Owl
    1 1/2 Ounce Silver Owl
    1717 Antiqued Cob
    Lesher Dollar
    Round Edge Eclipse
    Flat Edge Eclipse

The Flat Edge sold out in less than an hour.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭

I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and checked Dan's site. Got both of the Eclipses, plus a bunch of others. Very, very lucky this time.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eclipse RE
    Lesher
    Whyda BF
    CG owl

Can't wait to get them :)
    And that gold is soooo tempting

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 10:53AM

mostly...all gone in the wee morning hours.

"The page you have requested cannot be found or has been removed. Please use the menus provided to navigate this store."

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    I literally woke up and checked and all were available. 10seconds later I get to my computer and the flat edge solar was gone FML lol. I usually don't miss out but but I did this time. That's how it goes though. Stupid West Coast time! Happy for you dozen or so who got one :smile:

Me too. The price of working in Mexico

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

Me too. But got the rounded edge

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 9:18AM

I missed out on the Eclipse FE as well but did get a first order in. May consider a second after the dies are warmed up a bit.

Of note, I've recently gotten into fidget spinners and one maker put out 36 different anodized, unique offerings that went live at a set time and all sold out per below. Imagine Dan did something similar? Would someone try to get every one?

The offering:

https://flyaway-toys.myshopify.com/collections/fidget-spinners-2/products/anodized-titanium-060217

**** Friday June 2 **** These spinners will show sold out until 6 PM PDT - At that time they will all change to 1 piece in stock for each item. If someone checks out before you, the item will disappear from your cart. We don't have any way to control that. Thanks everyone!

@Kudbegud said:

@cheezhed said:

first strike doesn't leave out second strike, does it?

@Zoins said:
    I missed out on the Eclipse FE as well but did get a first order in. May consider a second after the dies are warmed up a bit.

Of note, I've recently gotten into fidget spinners and one maker put out 36 different anodized, unique offerings that went live at a set time and all sold out per below. Imagine Dan did something similar? Would someone try to get every one?

The offering:

https://flyaway-toys.myshopify.com/collections/fidget-spinners-2/products/anodized-titanium-060217

**** Friday June 2 **** These spinners will show sold out until 6 PM PDT - At that time they will all change to 1 piece in stock for each item. If someone checks out before you, the item will disappear from your cart. We don't have any way to control that. Thanks everyone!

Oh god, $100 fidget spinners?? That fad will be done so soon. The market is way oversaturated. Its a big fat bubble that's about to burst hard. It will make furby's, tickle me Elmo's & beanie babies look like they lasted a decade.

The more you VAM..

@MsMorrisine said:

@Kudbegud said:

@cheezhed said:

first strike doesn't leave out second strike, does it?

I'm cryin' cuz I was awake at midnight but had stopped refreshing the site

@BruceS said:
    Eclipse RE
    Lesher
    Whyda BF
    CG owl

Can't wait to get them :)
    And that gold is soooo tempting

Looks like my order....now the anticipation of shipping and receipt

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.
    I consider the "flat edge" eclipse to be a noteworthy (but somewhat minor) variation. The overall appearance of them is not really very much different than the round edge version. They were struck first in a 39mm smooth edge collar. I found that they didn't have the look that I wanted, so they were lightly broad-struck a second time out of collar. Due to the fairly shallow relief and rimless Aurora reverse, the medals would easily get circular scratches on them from the edge-marking process. After producing about 40 of them, of which 25 had unsightly hairline scratches (15 did not), I scrapped those 25 and went with a different production technique. The rest were edge marked first and then broad-struck. That way, any scratches from the edge marking are obliterated during the striking. And the edge marking is preserved because they are struck out of collar.

I've had some requests from people who are in the path of the eclipse for larger quantities of the medals for them to re-sell. But my last holographic shim is not going to last forever. So I may do a lower-priced version without the holographic applique. Not sure yet.

My goal at this time is to have most of these products available at least until the end of the ANA Denver show. Some older products (such as all three of the "1917" Peace Dollar items) will no longer be minted after that show.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Fidget spinner = what is the fascination with the FS? I've seen dogs tolerate a FS for a treat. You whack a FS and it spins?

Common eclipse, not flat edge, I was late @ 530a, CST, catalog shows final mintage, both flat and round edge?
    1.5 oz silver Owl
    1/4 oz, eagle
    1/10 gold owl

The Eclipse appears to have final mintages according to the catalog, the remainder of my order no evidence of final mintage, probably pay to play.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 10:29AM

Thank you US Mint for putting out such stuff that allowed me to keep from wasting my free cash. I finally am able to get some cool 1 Oz and 1/2 Oz Colorado Gold pieces , which I missed out on last year. Keep up the same level of work , US Mint.

And to Moonlight Mint / Dan Carr, keep up the great work. You add so much to the World of Numismatics.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 10:39AM

@epcjimi1 said:
    Fidget spinner = what is the fascination with the FS? I've seen dogs tolerate a FS for a treat. You whack a FS and it spins?

Common eclipse, not flat edge, I was late @ 530a, CST, catalog shows final mintage, both flat and round edge?
    1.5 oz silver Owl
    1/4 oz, eagle
    1/10 gold owl

The Eclipse appears to have final mintages according to the catalog, the remainder of my order no evidence of final mintage, probably pay to play.

The flat-edge eclipse mintage of 15 is final. The proof-like (on map side) version has three test strikes (not released). But I didn't like they way they turned out, so I went with a satin map instead. The round-edge eclipse medal is currently listed in the catalog as 59 "so far" (15 + 59 = 74). I intend to have these, in one form or another, available through the eclipse date (which is only about two months away). After the eclipse, minting will stop and there may still be some remainders available for a time.

Thanks Dan for your filling in important information about today's releases. It really adds to the value you represent to your fans.

but will the first strike have a flag and the words on the label?

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr what is the total planned mintage on the 1.5 oz Clark Gruber 1.5 oz Owls? I see that there are 156 so far. Thank you!

edited June 13, 2017 10:50AM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

The offering:

Oh god, $100 fidget spinners?? That fad will be done so soon. The market is way oversaturated. Its a big fat bubble that's about to burst hard. It will make furby's, tickle me Elmo's & beanie babies look like they lasted a decade.

Yes, it's a fad but sometimes you need to be aware of and part of the fad to be up to date. The execs where I work all have them. It may be a sign of being aware of current trends.

The made in America ones go for $35 to over $200 and higher. The made in China ones go for like $2 to $20.

I like them because they remind me of my shop machining classes back in junior high.

@epcjimi1 said:

Yes, that's about it. You need to get one to see for yourself. People say the same thing about coins, but you generally only spin raw coins, not slabbed ones ;)

Dan, the 1.5 silver owls have been limited in past years, correct? Are you not doing a limited amount this year? I bought more than it allowed me to last year, which worried me a bit.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 11:04AM

It's nice that production numbers are put up, but it would be nicer to see a few more "final" numbers put up at the beginning rather than an open ended "so far". Like somebody said above some of the gold numbers are tempting, but if 8 can turn into 80 then it would be nice to know that now so I can buy other things of interest first. The super low numbers listed on some items tend to make you to want to jump on it quick, but then the numbers can rise many times over initial numbers.

im a little confused, on the new 2017 treasure cob ( brilliant finish) the order page shows a round reeded edge, and when looking at mintage figurers it shows an irregular ,non-round edge. What am I missing?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

@BruceS said:
    im a little confused, on the new 2017 treasure cob ( brilliant finish) the order page shows a round reeded edge, and when looking at mintage figurers it shows an irregular ,non-round edge. What am I missing?

On the mintage page it should show all the options, round and non-round

Dan
    You show a Palladium Pioneer in the catalog but no mintage number. Will you be making one? Platinum too?

edited June 13, 2017 11:34AM

@jwitten said:

@BruceS said:

On the mintage page it should show all the options, round and non-round

Where can you see the irregular shapes for sale though? Never mind........found it, and added an antique finish cob to my order.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    edited June 13, 2017 11:33AM

@dcarr said:

The round-edge eclipse medal is currently listed in the catalog as 59 "so far" (15 + 59 = 74).

No, it isn't. I don't see 59.

Add the distinction for the extra $60 charged for the first 15 pieces to your catalog.

Jeez-a-louiza, wow-a-zooey and a holy moly

2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, Rounded Edge
    Your Price: USD $70.00

2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, FLAT EDGE FIRST STRIKE
    Your Price: USD $130.00

@epcjimi1 said:

@dcarr said:

The round-edge eclipse medal is currently listed in the catalog as 59 "so far" (15 + 59 = 74).

No, it isn't. I don't see 59.

Add the distinction for the extra $60 charged for the first 15 pieces to your catalog.

Jeez-a-louiza, wow-a-zooey and a holy moly

2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, Rounded Edge
    Your Price: USD $70.00

2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, FLAT EDGE FIRST STRIKE
    Your Price: USD $130.00

If you can do math, yes, it shows the mintage of them. He does need to add the cost of the flat edge though.

@BruceS said:

you have to cut them up to spend them anyway

edited June 13, 2017 11:53AM

@KbKards said:
    It's nice that production numbers are put up, but it would be nicer to see a few more "final" numbers put up at the beginning rather than an open ended "so far". Like somebody said above some of the gold numbers are tempting, but if 8 can turn into 80 then it would be nice to know that now so I can buy other things of interest first. The super low numbers listed on some items tend to make you to want to jump on it quick, but then the numbers can rise many times over initial numbers.

I think open is better for Dan's collector base and business because mintages will track collector interest. Many final numbers may attract flippers who raise the price on the secondary market. Too many of these may turn off his collectors and also reduce the revenue that should go to his business.

@jwitten said:

He does need to add the cost of the flat edge though.

No kidding.

I will say that given this year's Lesher dollar has the California territorial gold reverse, it may be nice to make one that says "Restore Prosperity with Gold" ;)

Options could be brass, gold plating before striking or gold.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some neat pieces being offered! Very cool!

:+1:

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 1:54PM

Got the idea from twobitcollectors avatar.....

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@KbKards said:

I think open is better for Dan's collector base and business because mintages will track collector interest. Many final numbers may attract flippers who raise the price on the secondary market. Too many of these may turn off his collectors and also reduce the revenue that should go to his business.

Daniel Carr coins got me interested in collecting coins !Quality coins low mintage ! but if he starts open ended minting coins over producing Im done!

edited June 13, 2017 3:18PM

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@KbKards said:

Daniel Carr coins got me interested in collecting coins !Quality coins low mintage ! but if he starts open ended minting coins over producing Im done!

Can you explain and provide an example of what you mean by "over producing"? Do you think Dan wanting to have offerings available at the ANA Denver show is over producing?

Regarding open ended mintages, I believe he's generally always had those, even for many of his low mintage pieces. Of course, when the offering ends, that is it. Mintages may be low because few people purchased during the offering period, not because of an artificial low limit that was below the number of collectors that wanted them.

To be clear, open ended here means during the offering period, not forever. This is generally how his coins have been offered.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think Dan wanting to have offerings available at the ANA Denver show is over producing? dont have a problem with that ! But I like the way he has always said up front what his final mintage would be ! Dont want him to change to producing tell he cant get anymore orders

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@KbKards said:

Can you explain and provide an example of what you mean by "over producing"? Do you think Dan wanting to have offerings available at the ANA Denver show is over producing?

Regarding open ended mintages, I believe he's generally always had those, even for many of his low mintage pieces. Of course, when the offering ends, that is it. Mintages may be low because few people purchased during the offering period, not because of an artificial low limit that was below the number of collectors that wanted them.

To be clear, open ended here means during the offering period, not forever. This is generally how his coins have been offered.

Definitely some cool pieces again this round. I do understand where 1940coupe is coming from on this though. Overproducing may be a bad term, but I believe that there are a few key ingredients to the appeal of Dan's items. First being they are cool and that will likely make his items continue to be in demand by collectors long after many would have jumped the shark, but a couple of other interesting parts of his items have always been relatively low mintages and low cost. Now I know Dan was leaving a lot of meat on the bone for others and can't blame him for raising his prices, but as the price goes up, I would assume some people will back out. Lastly being that many of his items have really low mintages and these numbers are usually known at issue. High mintages on all of his items may lessen the appeal to some. He does have some items with relatively high mintages that still seem to hold their appeal. Usually they are the items with already established collector followings like his Buffalo Centennial and Morgan/Peace overstrikes. JMO

edited June 13, 2017 4:13PM

@bigjpst said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@KbKards said:

Definitely some cool pieces again this round. I do understand where 1940coupe is coming from on this though. Overproducing may be a bad term, but I believe that there are a few key ingredients to the appeal of Dan's items. First being they are cool and that will likely make his items continue to be in demand by collectors long after many would have jumped the shark, but a couple of other interesting parts of his items have always been relatively low mintages and low cost. Now I know Dan was leaving a lot of meat on the bone for others and can't blame him for raising his prices, but as the price goes up, I would assume some people will back out. Lastly being that many of his items have really low mintages and these numbers are usually known at issue. High mintages on all of his items may lessen the appeal to some. He does have some items with relatively high mintages that still seem to hold their appeal. Usually they are the items with already established collector followings like his Buffalo Centennial and Morgan/Peace overstrikes. JMO

One thing I like about many of Dan's low mintages is that they were low due to demand, not artificially low. Many of his pieces are available on his website for some time before being discontinued so collectors have ample opportunity to get them, e.g. if they have to be budgeted. To me, this is a true rarity vs. a manufactured rarity. Of course, both kinds are nice, but the former has a certain kind of appeal when it is recognized later.

How long to keep the purchase window open seems to be somewhat of an art. You don't want it too short that people don't get a chance and you don't want it too long that offerings become stale.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

I understand that "so far" means quantities could and will change. But it would be nice going in to know more clearly what exactly I'm investing my limited collecting funds in. I can't buy all items he lists, but if I see say the eclipse at 15-59-74, I'm thinking it's cool looking and $70 for something produced in that range has a good chance of retaining value. I'm also thinking it would be even more cool to be the owner of one of only 15 special eclipse medals. I know the quantity, I see the premium, I know exactly what I'm buying. Then you hear the possibility of that 59 number blowing up and available in any quantity for months, and it loses a bit of its sparkle. The same applies to many of the very low initial numbers on much of the gold and cobs. I would very much like to buy a few, but I would feel much better knowing what I'm buying isn't suddenly going to go from an initially listed 6 or 8, up to a massive number. I would still buy what I like the best but it would limit my interest in some minor speculative spending on things I could do without.

KbKards

I hear what your saying. Dan stated that the hologram die would not hold up to many more strikes.
    "I've had some requests from people who are in the path of the eclipse for larger quantities of the medals for them to re-sell. But my last holographic shim is not going to last forever. So I may do a lower-priced version without the holographic applique. Not sure yet."
    So there won't be that many, if any, more with the hologram effect. I would say get one while you can cuz once they are gone.......

Guys, my take on it is that sometimes he does ultra-rare items on occasion like the 15 FE eclipse, sometimes semi-rare low mintages then sometimes he does open mintages for a specific time frame. If there's one thing you can say about the man is that he likes flavor. A little of this, a dash of that etc. Since he's that way with what he produces then why not be that way with how he offers them as well. Variety is the spice of life. Now, I do agree that if he starts doing open mintages on all items it would severely damage the intrigue of his business model but I don't think that's the case at all. I for one don't generally care about mintages aside the ultra-rarities and hopefully getting one when they come up. Now that's the real spice element of the MM. Too bad I missed out on the 15 eclipse but hey, win some lose some. The open mintages are also nice in terms of being able to know you can get one later with the next paycheck instead of having to pick and choose. Again, variety. It makes things fun :wink:

The more you VAM..

By the way, there are only 6 cancelled dies Morgans left. Better get one while you can :smile:

The more you VAM..

How can you tell what was sold, and what's remaining?

@CascadeChris said:
    By the way, there are only 6 cancelled dies Morgans left. Better get one while you can :smile:

eBay ID-bruceshort978

@BruceS said:
    How can you tell what was sold, and what's remaining?

@CascadeChris said:

Add some high number, like "100", and you'll get a pop-up message saying "The quantity you requested (100) is not currently in stock."

If you add 7, that message still appears. However, when you add 6, that amount goes into your cart.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

you know what would be cool, if Dan selected random orders and offered the buyers one of the really limited mintage coins. It does two things, prevents friends from calling friends at 4am and rewards those that are buying coins on a regular basis.

call the program Dan's Denver Dozen.

That's just my two cents and i expect to get some change back.

By the way, did anyone order more than 1 of the holgram eclipse rounded edge?

When I add more than 1 to my cart, this message pops up:
    "You are not allowed to purchase more than 1 of 2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal, 999 Silver (one troy oz), Brilliant Satin / Proof-like & Hologram, Rounded Edge."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file