Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Not sure of the price. But the Baseball Concept does nothing for me and I don't want one. I might have 600+ Carr pieces in total

mark

I respect your opinion Mark .
    Do you have one of these 13 pieces and if not would you be willing to pay the prices they are bringing on the secondary market ? Or what would you be willing to pay ??

edited March 30, 2017 11:23PM

I can't speak for Dan, but I'm guessing he takes a lot more pride in his Baseball Concept Dollar submission than his counter struck ASE . ???
    If he didn't take pride in it's design then I don't think he would have submitted it for consideration to the US Mint design contest.

@dcarr said:

@Bigpoppas said:
    I can't speak for Dan, but I'm guessing he takes a lot more pride in his Baseball Concept Dollar submission than his counter struck ASE . ???
    If he didn't take pride in it's design then I don't think he would have submitted it for consideration to the US Mint design contest.

Ok, I'll speak for 'Dan' ;)
    I don't really "take pride" in either one all that much.

The over-struck ASE is not my design (except for some small parts). But they were fun to make and experiment with. That is why I made them, mostly for my own entertainment. They sat in a drawer for several months before I decided to do something with them. I kept a couple for my own collection and offered the rest on my website.

The Baseball coin was one of the few occasions where the US Mint conducted an open design competition where anyone (such as myself) could enter. I like baseball ok but I'm not a huge fan and I don't think it is something that the US Mint should be making coins for. But it was an opportunity to design a legal-tender coin, so I entered. I think my resulting design is ok, not great, not bad. I was pretty sure that it wasn't going to win.

Here is a design that I take more "pride" in than either of the above:

Okay Dan !! Thanks for speaking up on the matter,
    Now enters though the comparing of:
    Golden Apples versus Oranges ;)

Umm .. I think I'll take the piece you posted over the other two . I'm a pretty simple man with simple needs :)

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 5:01AM

I do love those big silver pieces, but that gold looks pretty nice too !

Always nice to hear from DC and It will be fun to see what else will happen with the 1917 "Broken Sword" creation. I personally prefer it over both the 1964-D Peace and 1964-D Morgan designs. 2017 should be another great year, courtesy of the Moonlight Mint.

Dan Fan
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, but the matte 1964 Peace is really hard to beat. Actually I prefer it to the very nice 1917 Broken Sword. Starting to take on a lovely golden tone (not the usual dirty appearing golden tone on many coins - not his).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I also have the 1964 Peace Dollar in Matte Proof, one of my favorite DC strikes.
    152 Minted.

Now I am going to have to find one of those 1964 Matte Peace Dollars ! If anyone has an extra looking for a new home, please send me a PM.

Dan Fan
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 8:12AM

I was an under bidder at 656.66.

I liked the fact the ebay images for it exactly matched DC's website image of it.

I would have bought one at $200 had I seen DC's website during those brief few minutes of availability.

This $720 example would have fit in well with the seven 3 piece 2016 silver sets I'm sitting on:
    Six 3 ounce sets I bought from DC when he announced and one set bought at silver melt via an ebay BIN offer.

Lindy

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

@Cakes said:

@Bigpoppas said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:
    You guys that are even are his fans are killing me and is has nothing to do with acquiring one .
    Dan threw you a bone and the lucky few got a bite .
    I can't even believe the stuff I'm reading on these threads

Part of the fun and intrigue with Moonlight Mint offerings is the strong probability of a return on investment whether one sells or just holds and knows that if they do decide to sell they can make a nice ROI. An item that one can quintuple their money on, no matter how awesome or limited, is hard to pass up selling for some. We didn't know exactly how well these would do when we bought them. I'm not saying that I will sell mine and I have a few pieces that will never leave my hands for various reasons until I'm old and grey or I pass them down.

However, to be shocked that some of us would sell this limited piece for such a tidy profit is kinda crazy imo. I can fully understand and appreciate why those who are selling are doing so. And you sell Carr items too. Heck, I bought a an awesome open house piece from you. So I'm not sure where this is coming from unless I'm mis-understanding what you're getting at.

I would respond with many opinions, however what I have to say shouldn't be in the public review. I totally respect you and your love of D.C. , but I think some things I have to say should be private . Please pm if you wish to continue this conversation .

Bigpoppas, I have no dog in this fight as I don't own any of DC's work but IMHO you can't say what you said in your first post and then try to take the high road on your second post. Respectfully either say what you have to say or don't say anything at all.

@Cakes
    Since you have no dog in the fight and don't collect DC issues then why enter the ring ??
    I worded my original statement incorrectly as it was meant more to things I would rather say to CC in private.
    He is a collector, fan and seller of D.C. Pieces , so there are things I wanted to say privately . My apologies for confusing the group .

Bigpoppas,

I entered the ring because guarded statements like the one you made makes it confusing. Are you the Boss at work that during a meeting wants to take everything off line instead of discussing it openly and above board with everyone? I am not, I want it all laid out, not guarded, and best idea wins.

I like the DC stuff I just always miss out on the ones I like the best.

Good luck with your DC collection, I hope to add a couple soon.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Bigpoppas said:

The over-struck ASE is not my design (except for some small parts). But they were fun to make and experiment with. That is why I made them, mostly for my own entertainment. They sat in a drawer for several months before I decided to do something with them. I kept a couple for my own collection and offered the rest on my website.

The Baseball coin was one of the few occasions where the US Mint conducted an open design competition where anyone (such as myself) could enter. I like baseball ok but I'm not a huge fan and I don't think it is something that the US Mint should be making coins for. But it was an opportunity to design a legal-tender coin, so I entered. I think my resulting design is ok, not great, not bad. I was pretty sure that it wasn't going to win.

Dan, that one is badass, are those still for sale on your site?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

DCarr items are a buy / sell / flip. It's a restrike, the coin dates don't exist, never will. I think some of his originals have merit, yet receive little notice. It's all focused on the US coin restrikes. Weird. MHO.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 12:30PM

I agree with Cakes....BADASS.

When was the last time the US Mint issued something like this.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah.....never?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

my issue with the baseball issue.
    catcher- looking down 3rd base line & catching from that direction
    runner- sliding in from somewhere closer to a run from the pitcher's mound.

The home plate and idea is a hit, the orientation of the runner is taking a strange way in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to agree. The 2016 owl is great to just look at. Good design and well executed. I wish I was able to afford the 2.5 oz gold version. Maybe someday. And your Merlin is off the charts in terms of creativity. I also like the bi-metallic astronaut. I haven't seen one in hand but I'm following the ones in eBay hoping to snag one when the time is right. Oh and let's not forget about the Panda. Talk about making a bold, blunt and appropriate statement. And the simple touch of making both sides the same but one side in Chinese was brilliant :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 3:57PM

@Bullsitter said:

Over 100 years ago in 1915. Owls and gold slugs. What a great combo then and now.

Given the low mintage, Dan's is even more rare and harder to find!

I agree Dan has a lot of great, original pieces. Many of them are sold out and hard to find.

Recently Dan's coin club medals have been getting a lot of attention!

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:

Over 100 years ago in 1915. Owls and gold slugs. What a great combo then and now.

And I like Dan's boarders better. More art deco than the pan-pac's art nouveau. Really hope I can get one of the gold slug owls one day.

The more you VAM..

Dan already has some interesting new Club Medals in the works for 2017. Here is the obverse design for Jeff Shevlin's 4th "So-Called Dollar Gathering" Medal...

...from the original authentic die created for the U.S. Mint by George Morgan for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition held in Seattle.

Dan Fan
    edited March 31, 2017 5:37PM

@Voyageur said:
    Dan already has some interesting new Club Medals in the works for 2017. Here is the obverse design for Jeff Shevlin's 4th "So-Called Dollar Gathering" Medal...

...from the original authentic die created for the U.S. Mint by George Morgan for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition held in Seattle.

Sweet! I have an original George Morgan die for that as well. Since it has the 1909 date on it, it would have been cool to use that in 2009 or perhaps 2019.

I also have some other dies and have been thinking about what would be some cool pieces to have struck by Dan!

Zoins ~ What an excellent idea. There is a lot of numismatic history to be had there as well as designs in a style that we will never see again.

Dan Fan
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:

I'm partial to the 2015 look. It's classic, lady Liberty, smoewhere between the PanPac and 2016 slug.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:

I'm partial to the 2015 look. It's classic, lady Liberty, smoewhere between the PanPac and 2016 slug.

@renman95 said:

@renman95 said:

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:

Not fair. You suck! :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to get my broken sword.

edited April 6, 2017 11:54AM

One Hundred years ago today, the USA entered WWI.

Yes, and will it bring about the 'next' version of the 1917 "Broken Sword" Peace Dollar ?

Dan Fan

I wonder what is coming next?
    Octagon Owls in Silver and Gold...
    A 2017 ASE over struck by Mr. Carrs 1917 Peace Dollar would be really nice.
    Obverse AND Reverse.

does an ASE have the thickness needed?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

To bide the time until his next burst I just picked this up. I don't usually collect his 1/20 silvers but this one is starting to tone nicely.

The more you VAM..
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 1:22PM

Maybe some day

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 1:30PM

He could just do a wildlife refuge series like the United States mint did in 2003. They made an eagle, duck, salmon and elk

@Twobitcollector said:

Maybe some day

Disco moose?

The more you VAM..

I really like the 1 ounce bars, purchased 2.
    Cute little things.

The 'Disco Moose" is most interesting and I like those nice little silver bars as well. Here is one of my latest arrivals, a most unusual 2015 Colorado Coin Club 80th Anniversary medal that I was able to obtain from another Dan Carr Collector.......

Dan Fan
  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Voyaguer, that is cool! Now I want one!

@nk1nk said:
    Voyaguer, that is cool! Now I want one!

Me first. That thing is wicked.

The more you VAM..
  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Well if you're going to have a table at the Denver ANA and be pulling out some archives I'm not going to miss that, I'm in salt lake and have some skymiles to burn so it's a no brainer for me. Now to save up some money and make sure I get in line before the other hardcore Carr fans.

I can hardly wait to see the 2017 Solar Eclipse medal, but will be sure to put on my sun glasses first !

Dan Fan
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember logging in to DC's page when the 13 overstrikes were posted and I passed because I thought it was too much for my budget.

Many happy BST transactions
    edited April 23, 2017 8:38PM

@cheezhed said:
    I remember logging in to DC's page when the 13 overstrikes were posted and I passed because I thought it was too much for my budget.

I remember seeing that and immediately clicking to make an order but it was too late! :open_mouth:

@Voyageur said:
    I can hardly wait to see the 2017 Solar Eclipse medal, but will be sure to put on my sun glasses first !

I suppose it will have a hole in the middle

Yeah. Can't wait to see what he comes up with for the solar eclipse token. Sooo many creative possibilities.

The more you VAM..
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots to look forward too in the coming months.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Voyageur said:

I suppose it will have a hole in the middle

Maybe a hologram?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/preparing-for-the-august-2017-total-solar-eclipse

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose I'll miss some more offerings. I can't seem to be in the right place at the right time to get a chance at some of the more interesting offerings. Always on the hunt though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file