Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps just remove the "VDB" altogether.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Perhaps just remove the "VDB" altogether.

1909 Lincoln Cents without "VDB" were issued by the US Mint.
    So, no on that one as well.

How about with Lincoln facing the other direction (like on the nickel)?

@abcde12345 said:

Technically that is possible, but it would not work very well when over-striking existing Lincoln cents because the bust would not line up with the host coin well at all.

I have a fantasy-date Lincoln cent in mind that will be of interest. I plan to come out with it some time this year.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a secrect discount code for that check out box? I ordered some things the other day and saw that little box on check out. I have wondered ever since. I tried "dancarriscool" but it didn't work. B)

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Is there a secrect discount code for that check out box? I ordered some things the other day and saw that little box on check out. I have wondered ever since. I tried "dancarriscool" but it didn't work. B)

Good try ;)
    But I've never actually issued any discount codes.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 3:52AM

@abcde12345 said:
    How about a 1909 S "VDB" but make the "VDB" VBD"?

@dcarr said:

@abcde12345 said:
    How about a 1909 S "VDB" but make the "VDB" VBD"?

That is a rather small change from an existing coin, so I would not do that.
    I do have a Lincoln Cent item in mind, however, but it is a fantasy date piece.

what would VBD mean anyway?

hypothetically speaking, it makes more sense to go B, V . D.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be cooler still to have Dan put his OWN 3 initials there! (Assuming he has a middle name.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I just kidding but how about he has a auction and the winner gets there initials put on it LOL want a honor

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@abcde12345 said:

Technically that is possible, but it would not work very well when over-striking existing Lincoln cents because the bust would not line up with the host coin well at all.

I have a fantasy-date Lincoln cent in mind that will be of interest. I plan to come out with it some time this year.

Since Lincoln Cents have been issued every year since their introduction in 1909, will be interesting to see what fantasy date you have in mind that will be of interest.

I thought a 1909-D V.D.B. cent and a 1909-O V.D.B. cent would have been fun to issue, but I know Dan mentioned before he is avoiding dates where the coins have been issued and just changing a mintmark isn't enough of a change.

We'll see :)

How about where the 1909-S VDB is printed on the reverse of the penny and the reverse is then printed on the front?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

1959 wheatie?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 6:28PM

@7Jaguars said:
    1959 wheatie?

I like it Jag, plus my birth year :)

How about a 1909 DJC ?? Or 1908 DJC

Or maybe something over struck on a 43 Steelie could be interesting.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a redo of the 2009 (the set) lincolns as steelies only in silver :smiley:

(l8-)>>

edited March 19, 2017 6:31PM

or in palladium and proof like

(l8-)>>

in a mahogany crate with numbered COAs...... just kidding about the last part.

(l8-)>>

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    1959 wheatie?

That's my 1st guess too. Nice 50th tribute.

Or maybe a 4-coin set like 2009.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

A mormon made a 59 wheatback penny and is now in prison.

@Bigpoppas said:

@7Jaguars said:
    1959 wheatie?

I like it Jag, plus my birth year :)

How about a 1909 DJC ?? Or 1908 DJC

Or maybe something over struck on a 43 Steelie could be interesting.

1974 steel cent?

would it need re-plating before striking?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we're guessing I'll go out on a limb and say a 2017 with P mint mark but with memorial reverse

The more you VAM..

There was a 1959 Wheat Cent in a Goldberg auction not too long ago... questionable authenticity on that one as it was not certified and was being sold as-is. Because of that being out there and because there are 1959 Lincoln Memorial Cents that do exist, not sure a 1959 Wheat Cent overstrike is on the way.

And here's the PCGS article on the 1959-D Wheat Cent for anyone not familiar with this one:

https://pcgs.com/News/The-Mystery-Of-The-1959-d-Mule-Lincoln-Cent

I think he will make a 1942 steel penny (overstruck 1943) with large P on back like he said

Sold

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 8:49PM

Wow!!! A 1907-VDB Lincoln based on an original sculpture.

That's better than any fantasy cent I imagined.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 8:47PM

@dcarr Great idea and use of the original VDB sculpture. It might be cool to make some larger dollar/ silver ounce sized medals too, similar to your Broken Sword 1oz medals.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    Wow!!! A 1907-VDB Lincoln based on an original sculpture.

That's better than any fantasy cent I imagined.

Yeah. He's a crafty guy. I knew none of us had it but I didn't expect that. I'm in.

The more you VAM..
  • VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Zoins idea about also making a larger silver version medal is an excellent one and perhaps some could even be struck over a 2009 Lincoln Commemorative Dollar.

The possibilities are absolutely endless.......

Dan Fan
    edited March 19, 2017 9:08PM

Didnt think I would be interested in Lincoln penny ! but want one these pennies for sure !

Where do you put the second period?

edited March 20, 2017 12:26AM

there

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 9:35PM

@1940coupe said:
    I guess after you make Lincoln penny that just leaves Jefferson nickel ?

From Dan's previous post, it seems there are quite a few to go including 18th and 19th century coins as well as gold.

In an earlier post he mentioned, "My ultimate goal was to eventually produce an entire fantasy-date over-strike type set." along with a discussion of Capped Bust gold $10.

As his pieces gain in popularity, it may become more viable to strike the more expensive pieces.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Zoins and Voyageur.....except....use the bronze bust as the model, wheat back just like the original......on a Peace dollar over strike.

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:
    I guess after you make Lincoln penny that just leaves Jefferson nickel ?

From Dan's previous post, it seems there are quite a few to go including 18th and 19th century coins as well as gold.

In an earlier post he mentioned, "My ultimate goal was to eventually produce an entire fantasy-date over-strike type set." along with a discussion of Capped Bust gold $10.

As his pieces gain in popularity, it may become more viable to strike the more expensive pieces.

Sorry should have said for 20th century silver and copper coins !

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got nothing to add other than to say I dropped off 28 Carr creations for grading with ANACS at the Tukwilla show this weekend. B)

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

@MsMorrisine said:
    Where do you put the second period?

what does this mean please explain ?

fun question

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question for the Carr experts:

I received some coins back from ANACS, and some do not match the 'die pair' label that came with the coins. They labeled the 1964-D Morgan proofs as die pair 1 (the proofs used die pair 2). I emailed them about that issue.

The ANACS labels for some 1909-O Morgans also do not match the labels that came with the coins (I bought the 1909-Os off Ebay and then submitted to ANACS). It's entirely possible ANACS is correct for the 1909-Os (and the labels were swapped before I bought them), so I thought I'd ask here.

Here are some photos pf 1909-O Morgan proof like to illustrate (I have the same issue for two of the satins as well). One had a 'die pair 1' insert, the other was 'die pair 2'. Both show as Die pair 2 on the ANACS slab.

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

Carr inserts:

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

I received some coins back from ANACS, and some do not match the 'die pair' label that came with the coins. They labeled the 1964-D Morgan proofs as die pair 1 (the proofs used die pair 2). I emailed them about that issue.

The ANACS labels for some 1909-O Morgans also do not match the labels that came with the coins (I bought the 1909-Os off Ebay and then submitted to ANACS). It's entirely possible ANACS is correct for the 1909-Os (and the labels were swapped before I bought them), so I thought I'd ask here.

Here are some photos pf 1909-O Morgan proof like to illustrate (I have the same issue for two of the satins as well). One had a 'die pair 1' insert, the other was 'die pair 2'. Both show as Die pair 2 on the ANACS slab.

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

Carr inserts:

When I send them in I copy the label that comes with each token and include them with my submission.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    edited March 20, 2017 2:56PM

sorry wrong guy

edited March 20, 2017 2:57PM

@felinfoel said:

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

Carr inserts:

cant tell by your picture but die 1 has closed nines and die 2 has open nines he shows difference on web site http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_6.htm

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a close-up of the dates.

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

coin one looks like die 1 closed 9 and coin 2 looks like die 2 open 9 but click on link and see for yourself it has pictures

great picture Weiss

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    great picture Weiss

I was going to post it as a "guess the grade" thread :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2016 PL Clark & Gruber 1/4 oz 24k Colorado Gold arrived today in a well packed box.
    My first DC Colorado 24k gold piece.
    I needed this piece to complete my little set of MMOH 2016 issues as I thought it was related. I hope its the same die.

Daniel, is this 2016 22mm PL Gold Obverse Die same as you used on your 2016 PL MMOH overstrikes / counterstrikes ?

Lindy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file