• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@Justacommeman said:

Mark

OK now I get it your number 900 to comment

The thread has legs!

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple 5oz ATBs that I would like to submit to you Daniel for these canceled Morgan die strikes you're considering.

I really like your MMOH 2016 canceled $5 die overstrikes I've picked up.

Lindy

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:
    Why are the DC 1964 Morgan $ history ?

I feel like I made enough of them and I'm a little bored with it now.
    I would have made more proof-likes, but due to the striking parameters, the "cameo" effect would wear off the dies rather quickly when striking. I also wasn't entirely satisfied with how the matte version looks, so those were even more limited.

However, there might be a "last hurrah": "X"-cancelled die strikes.
    I did some years ago when I produced the "1964-D" Peace over-strikes (but I never released any of those).
    If I do any X-cancelled Morgans, I will make enough over-strikes to offer them as a product this time.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 10:39AM

@LindyS said:
    I've got a couple 5oz ATBs that I would like to submit to you Daniel for these canceled Morgan die strikes you're considering.

we are idea-ing and requesting him to death.

we know these are just on a wish list.

although, he does want to do a type set of overstrikes, and speaking of ATBs, I ask the crowd what they would envision overstruck on an ATB.

i'm still thinking.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 11:20AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@LindyS said:

although, he does want to do a type set of overstrikes, and speaking of ATBs, I ask the crowd what they would envision overstruck on an ATB.

i'm still thinking.

I've always wondered if his press could do a full overstrike of a 5oz atb. Not just broad struck with smaller dies. I believe the US MINT had to get new presses from Germany to do the series right.

The more you VAM..
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I understand the 64 peace ,65 peace and why you chose those dates ! but how about making a 1966 and going on up 1967 1968 and so on

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes!
    Much as I love the 1964 matte peace and the new 1917 peace, I'd request a break from these other dates. Too many other worthy projects plus it becomes a bit boring.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

just a thought ! what ever he makes people will be in line to buy !

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    I understand the 64 peace ,65 peace and why you chose those dates ! but how about making a 1966 and going on up 1967 1968 and so on

As of last year, I was planning to eventually make "1931" high-relief Peace Dollars. But that was before I discovered the "Broken Sword" casting. Now that I have done a "1917" High Relief Peace, I'm not planning a "1931". Future plans for over-strike Morgan/Peace dollars include some things in 2021 related to the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan and the first Peace dollars. Maybe a "1920" Morgan using the 1921 hub style, and perhaps a "1920" Broken Sword Peace. Beyond that, I have no plans for any other Morgan/Peace items (unless some other unforeseen and significant artifact turns up).

would love a 1920" Broken Sword Peace!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2017 1:49AM

For an upcoming Broken Sword Peace Dollar, please consider a Roman numeral date like de Francisci's original plaster.

Some other coins that could be of interest:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

You mentioned the Arrows & Rays dollar earlier and I recall even TDN said it would be neat. I've been waiting for this one ever since.

@MsMorrisine said:

@LindyS said:

i'm still thinking.

Sand Creek Massacre NHS

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

As to what 5oz I'd like overstruck with canceled 1964 Morgan dies I'm thinking 2016 Roosevelt or 2017 Effigy Mounds. I'd choose 2017 representing the year the 1964 was issued.
    Then again, the 2014 Sand Dunes Colorado issue works with Moonlight Mint located in Colorado theme and 2014 minus 1964 date equals 50.

I think I'll move 2014 Colorado ATB to the top of my wish list.

Lindy

the question isn't about overstriking an ATB with a cancelled 64-d die.

it's about a new design to overstrike on a mint issued ATB

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I think the mint had to purchase a new coin press made especially for the 5 ounce size dies.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2017 12:52PM

@dcarr said:

@1940coupe said:

As of last year, I was planning to eventually make "1931" high-relief Peace Dollars. But that was before I discovered the "Broken Sword" casting. Now that I have done a "1917" High Relief Peace, I'm not planning a "1931". Future plans for over-strike Morgan/Peace dollars include some things in 2021 related to the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan and the first Peace dollars. Maybe a "1920" Morgan using the 1921 hub style, and perhaps a "1920" Broken Sword Peace. Beyond that, I have no plans for any other Morgan/Peace items (unless some other unforeseen and significant artifact turns up).

Great looking stuff! I saw your work in Coin Heist. My kids actually sat and watched the entire movie, and while they are not into coins, they said yours were awesome. Are Any still available? The fish one...
    I digress,
    Here is my new purchase! I hope it's ok to post a screenshot of this. Let me know if it's not. I got these last night.

I missed coins he made for the movie ?

I did not read the coin heist threads to read about or see them.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

It was the Fish state quarter the teens added an extra fin. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/972968/netflix-coin-heist

edited March 9, 2017 4:43PM

@HalfStrike said:
    I think the mint had to purchase a new coin press made especially for the 5 ounce size dies.

Curse me yet again and again

I knew that but forgot.

Anyway, expansion anyone?

It's still an interesting academic discussion as I was going to throw in which release would make a good candidate, can DMPL ones be made and how costly, and could a blasted version be made, too?

I think the blasted version would likely require the same process. It'd be interesting to see if the host coin would be wholly hidden by the dual process. Perhaps these might be more readily produced than a DMPL and would be the first of the two made..,
    Of course this is just discussion.

For me, the original question is an interesting one. These are a rotating design coin. Conceptually, a new year but same design would be the way to go eg 1999 CO Sand Dunes ATB or 1998 just to be safe. However, I'm of the opinion that a simple re-date, despite that's what is done already on other issues, would be missing an opportunity. While changing the Morgan design wouldn't place it as a Morgan overstrike in a type set, the varied designs on the State and ATB coins has the opportunity for a new reverse design for both.

So I guess a new State quarter design is another question.

My parody Q is CT - NY's back yard + kid on tree swing + soccer mom planting flowers underneath.

But as an opportunity as a type set and an alternate state quarter, the state ones have a wider latitude than even the ATB. I would like to see a redo for HI. I would seek inspiration for what traditional native life was like.

I did strike over some of the large Perry's Victory "pucks". But the over-strike die was 39mm, which is quite a bit smaller than the puck. Here is one (not my auction, I don't know the seller):
    ebay.com/itm/272575419336

@MsMorrisine said:

I did not offer any of the Coin Heist coins for sale. That may yet happen, but it is not a high priority right now.
    They paid me to make the dies and the coins, but we had no agreements on selling them. The coins used in the movie are still in storage, apparently. I have some extras (not to sell). I gave a couple away to a friend (for reasons I won't go into here).
    Mintages are listed here (2nd section from the bottom): moonlightmint.com/other.htm

I really hope you make a 1920" Broken Sword Peace! makes more since that 1917 date and I be leave it would rival 1964 in value in short time !

edited March 9, 2017 4:47PM

@dcarr said:
    I did strike over some of the large Perry's Victory "pucks". But the over-strike die was 39mm, which is quite a bit smaller than the puck. Here is one (not my auction, I don't know the seller):

nice medal v coin turn

the medal design looks like obverse items were positioned for placement on the puck...

@MsMorrisine said:

@dcarr said:

nice medal v coin turn

Yes. At the time, "Oops".

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I did not offer any of the Coin Heist coins for sale. That may yet happen, but it is not a high priority right now.
    They paid me to make the dies and the coins, but we had no agreements on selling them. The coins used in the movie are still in storage, apparently. I have some extras (not to sell). I gave a couple away to a friend (for reasons I won't go into here).
    Mintages are listed here (2nd section from the bottom): moonlightmint.com/other.htm

My God !!
    I've missed so much in my absence. I didn't even know a thing about the coins and the show , Two years ago I knew more details about Dan Carr items than anyone except D.C. himself .

I'll bet I know this friend you speak of as there can only be one :)

I'm now determined to make a comeback .
    You only live once !! Cheers !!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:
    I've missed so much in my absence. I didn't even know a thing about the coins and the show , Two years ago I knew more details about Dan Carr items than anyone except D.C. himself .

I'll bet I know this friend you speak of as there can only be one :)

Nope, not that one ;)

edited March 11, 2017 11:22AM

@Zoins said:
    For an upcoming Broken Sword Peace Dollar, please consider a Roman numeral date like de Francisci's original plaster.

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

You mentioned the Arrows & Rays dollar earlier and I recall even TDN said it would be neat. I've been waiting for this one ever since.

Im in for a Arrows and Rays half dollar! It would have to be next he has made capped bust, walking liberty , Franklin ,Kennedy and the 1927-D” Oregon Trail Commemorative Silver Half Dollars

edited March 11, 2017 11:23AM

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

Im in for a Arrows and Rays half dollar! It would have to be next he has made capped bust, walking liberty , Franklin ,Kennedy

Half dollar would be good but an Arrows and Ray dollar would be great :)

edited March 11, 2017 11:32AM

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

Im in for a Arrows and Rays half dollar! It would have to be next he has made capped bust, walking liberty , Franklin ,Kennedy

Only problem I see is wouldn't it be counterfeit if he doesn't have a dollar one to over stamp ?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2017 11:29AM

.> @1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

Im in for a Arrows and Rays half dollar! It would have to be next he has made capped bust, walking liberty , Franklin ,Kennedy and the 1927-D” Oregon Trail Commemorative Silver Half Dollars

A must-have for my half dollar collection. And the one-year-only (1853) Arrows & Rays is my favorite Seated design.

I'm in for two of all versions!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

Only problem I see is wouldn't it be counterfeit if he doesn't have a dollar one to over stamp ?

I think the previous discussion was to overstrike a non-A&R dollar. This would be like the 1917 broken sword Peace dollar where the underlying coin isn't a broken sword reverse.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2017 11:39AM

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

Agreed! And I'd love to see a Proof version.

But for a fantasy overstrike, the host Seated dollar is pricey. I'd still go for 1 or 2 each of all versions.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

I think the previous discussion was to overstrike a non-A&R dollar. This would be like the 1917 broken sword Peace dollar where the underlying coin isn't a broken sword reverse.

I guess maybe Dan Could comment ? a broken sword and a normal reverse is not that much different ! arrow and rays way different ?

edited March 11, 2017 12:28PM

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

• Arrows and Rays dollar
    • Fugio cent

I guess maybe Dan Could comment ? a broken sword and a normal reverse is not that much different ! arrow and rays way different ?

I think the arrows and rays would be less different than the broken sword because the broken sword is a change to an existing device where as arrows and rays would be additions. Either way, it would be good to hear from Dan. There was definitely some excitement when the arrows and rays dollar was discussed here in the past with Dan, TDN and others. It would be fun to see. I agree with @COCollector that a proof would be nice.

if push comes to shove, any 90% dollar would do.

these are fantasy items. changes, and additions are changes, are expected.

@MsMorrisine said:

He takes a host coin lines it up perfect then strikes it ! if he doesn't use same kind of coin he cant produce same kind of quality !

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well he has used blank planchets before. He is not restricted to over striking actual coins. Example: the 2017 100th Anniversary of WW1 Failure, 2-troy-oz 999 Silver

@Kudbegud said:
    Well he has used blank planchets before. He is not restricted to over striking actual coins. Example: the 2017 100th Anniversary of WW1 Failure, 2-troy-oz 999 Silver

well thats not a coin its a bullion piece ?

edited March 11, 2017 1:20PM

Once a coin is over struck doesn't it loose it's coin status and become a fantasy "coin" but more accurately a medal? Art pieces really.
    Three base materials are used to convey his art: an actual coin, a blank planchet of various metals and diameters and bars of several sizes and styles. The common denominator is the striking of an impression of his own manufacture and design.

@Kudbegud said:
    Once a coin is over struck doesn't it loose it's coin status and become a fantasy "coin" but more accurately a medal? Art pieces really.
    Three base materials are used to convey his art: an actual coin, a blank planchet of various metals and diameters and bars of several sizes and styles. The common denominator is the striking of an impression of his own manufacture and design.

Well how long would it be before the Feds come if he made dollars on blank planchets ?

He usually has an admonition in the description NOT to use his work as currency. Below is posted in the "1964-D" Morgan Silver fantasy issue

_NOTE: Defacing of US coins is legal so long as the defacement isn't for fraudulent purposes.

By purchasing one or more of these, the buyer agrees to provide full disclosure of their origin when reselling them. Failure to provide potential buyers with complete and accurate information when offering these could result in criminal and/or civil fraud charges. In other words, don't try to sell to unaware buyers as original coins of this date.

Since these are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the over-strike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike.

Do not attempt to use these as legal tender. This product is NOT endorsed or approved by the US Mint, US Treasury, or US Government._

@Kudbegud said:
    He usually has an admonition in the description NOT to use his work as currency. Below is posted in the "1964-D" Morgan Silver fantasy issue

_NOTE: Defacing of US coins is legal so long as the defacement isn't for fraudulent purposes.

By purchasing one or more of these, the buyer agrees to provide full disclosure of their origin when reselling them. Failure to provide potential buyers with complete and accurate information when offering these could result in criminal and/or civil fraud charges. In other words, don't try to sell to unaware buyers as original coins of this date.

Since these are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the over-strike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike.

Do not attempt to use these as legal tender. This product is NOT endorsed or approved by the US Mint, US Treasury, or US Government._

you dont get it ! all this is true for overstrike ! but not if he uses blank planchets ! ****Since these are over-struck on existing coins

@1940coupe said:

@MsMorrisine said:

He takes a host coin lines it up perfect then strikes it ! if he doesn't use same kind of coin he cant produce same kind of quality !

I'd be interested to hear the dcarr take on it. I've seen some with significant ghosting and some where it is impossible to see any remnants.

I'd also be interested to hear if he anneals them to death, too.

edited March 11, 2017 5:25PM

@Kudbegud said:

true. still, will-way. it may take more work, higher prices, but it might be doable. 1792 dollar with silver plug and adjustment marks anyone? These won't be coming from any 1794 dollar overstrike. Perhaps it will simply take moving all the metal a lot back and forth on a much more recently dated silver dollar.

(I'd kill for one)

and another thing I can guess he has dismissed: overstriking blanks. less work.
    but the mint might not call them "once money."

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If everyone would send these coins into pcgs as the same time it may force their hand and lead to these finally getting slabbed.

right.

not coins.
    tokens.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or perhaps in the case of the non-overstruck Coin Club issues ~ medals.

Dan Fan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file