Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    Just another good day at the P.O.... Dan's 1964-D High Grade Finish, CLASHED, Die Pair 2 PL arrived today, and quickly too !

Die pair 2 is the proof like, die pair 1 is the high grade. Did you get one of each or just the proof like?

The more you VAM..
  • VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@Voyageur said:
    Just another good day at the P.O.... Dan's 1964-D High Grade Finish, CLASHED, Die Pair 2 PL arrived today, and quickly too !

Die pair 2 is the proof like, die pair 1 is the high grade. Did you get one of each or just the proof like?

By Golly, you are correct ! Think I was fortunate to get one each of the five (5) 1964-D Morgan issues (so far)...

1 .Die Pair 1 High Grade
    2. Die Pair 1 High Grade, Clashed
    3. Die Pair 2, PL
    4. Die Pair 2, PL, Clashed
    5. Matte

Dan Fan

@Voyageur said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Voyageur said:

By Golly, you are correct ! Think I was fortunate to get one each of the five (5) 1964-D Morgan issues (so far)...

1 .Die Pair 1 High Grade
    3. Die Pair 2, PL
    5. Matte

Cool. Not "so far" though. He's said he's done with the morgans aside possibly another small batch of clashed PL's. If you want anymore 64d's at issue price I suggest pouncing once you see those up :)

The more you VAM..

Thanks for the suggestion. It will be most interesting to see what Dan has in store for the 1917 "Broken Sword" Peace. Hope the Tax Man is very kind this year, I may need it !

Dan Fan
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 7:25PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Voyageur said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Voyageur said:

1 .Die Pair 1 High Grade
    3. Die Pair 2, PL
    5. Matte

Cool. Not "so far" though. He's said he's done with the morgans aside possibly another small batch of clashed PL's. If you want anymore 64d's at issue price I suggest pouncing once you see those up :)

Here's a vote for another batch of clashed PL Morgans. I need one to go with my '64 PL Morgan.

It could also be interesting to create some colorized / toned / hologram Morgans.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Voyageur said:

Very glad I got mine too.

In the long run, I expect these Morgans will do better than the 1964/1965 Peace dollars -- which already sell for quite a premium (when you can find one).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 9:12AM

Great Photos !

If I was a Morgan Guy, I'd be all over those.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fresh from the PO box this AM

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 6:03AM

more CLASHED Die Pair 2 Proof-like listed for sale

@1940coupe said:

The 64D Morgan is coming to an end. It was a great ride. Light a candle and get em while you still can guys!

I wonder if a few stragglers of the other finishes will show up again. If not, this should be the last chance to get one.

The more you VAM..
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

The 64D Morgan is coming to an end. It was a great ride. Light a candle and get em while you still can guys!

I wonder if a few stragglers of the other finishes will show up again. If not, this should be the last chance to get one.

yes.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 7:57AM

The Moonlight Mint page shows 92 of the clashed proofs as the final mintage.

moonlightmint.com/blog_18.htm

Only 23 left out of 40 when I checked an hour ago. I doubt they'll last much longer

The more you VAM..

Down to 7!

The more you VAM..
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Morning Cascade Chris,
    Where are you getting these dwindling inventory numbers from ?

• PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

Sold out now

edited March 7, 2017 9:11AM

@LindyS said:
    Good Morning Cascade Chris,
    Where are you getting these dwindling inventory numbers from ?

Simple. You put X number in your cart and adjust it up or down to find how many are left then empty your cart. Just like with US mint offerings

The more you VAM..
    edited March 7, 2017 9:34AM

Wow, I've been looking for a 64-D Clashed PL Morgan day and night on his website but just woke up to find out I missed them. I asked him for one via email earlier so hopefully I can still get one.

If his pieces keep selling out before one even has a chance to buy them, the collecting dynamic is certainly changing. Checking the website all the time and not being able to buy one is an interesting experience.

I've been collecting Dan's work for 10 years and love my 1917 Peace. If the pieces sell out this fast, then perhaps there needs to be a way to for long time collectors to get them, e.g. via a pre-order or something.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The early bird catches the worm.

edited March 7, 2017 10:18AM

There is something to be said for creating more demand similar to limited edition sneakers if that's the goal. I do know people that collect these. Internet sales go off at a certain time and people race to put in their orders.

I have no problem with clearly limited edition pieces like the 2016 silver eagle overstrike (which I also saw too late) but with a more mainstream piece like the 64-D clashed PL Morgan, it can prevent collectors from building sets. I imagine Dan would still like to encourage people to build sets. It will be interesting to see how this evolves as his work becomes more popular and it's certainly a good problem to have from a business perspective.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here she be, just delivered. In a hurry, so I took some quick shots which are terrible.

She be a beauty too ~ I'll be looking for one at the ANA in Orlando for sure !

Dan Fan

My opinion His limited mintage on coins is one of the things that make collecting his products fun ! wouldn't be fair if he had a select group guaranteed there coins ! if you missed out on something then you need to man up and try harder ! I have been collecting his products for years and when I miss something I dont whine about it if I want it I go to secondary market and buy it!

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see folks getting upset when they miss out on a new release that sells out in an hour or so...

But that clashed Morgan was available for at least a couple of weeks, right??? Everyone who wanted one of those had a fair shot at it.

And luckily for you, the mintage of those is high enough that you'll probably be able to find one in the aftermarket if you still really want one, though you'll likely have to pay a little more now.

Good luck!

:+1:

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Got my PL clasher yesterday too. Boy did I have a dickens of a time last night trying to photograph it well with the mirrored fields while also trying to show the extensive clashing. These are SICK! Might have to try to grab another if he does put a few more up! I expect a rush though once they are posted on the forums.

Very, very nice!! Ya gotta love it <3
    I'm a pretty big fan of Dan Carr as he is quite the artist. Great work and lovely to look at. On top of how interesting his work is.
    Carry on, CHD

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I often purchase two each of Daniels minting's.
    Perhaps, for example, I have an 2015 1\10 ounce gold that I can trade for the 2016 that I missed.
    Say I have an extra 2016 Octagonal and miss the 2017, maybe someone would do a swap with me.

edited March 7, 2017 5:38PM

@illini420 said:
    I can see folks getting upset when they miss out on a new release that sells out in an hour or so...

But that clashed Morgan was available for at least a couple of weeks, right??? Everyone who wanted one of those had a fair shot at it.

And luckily for you, the mintage of those is high enough that you'll probably be able to find one in the aftermarket if you still really want one, though you'll likely have to pay a little more now.

The clashed brilliant satin version was available for weeks but the clashed PL version was only available twice, for hours each time. I now have an order in and will have both a PL and PL clashed pair. Thanks Dan!

Another piece that I've seen only available for hours is the 1/10th ounce owl gold piece. I believe it was out for a day or less the first time and possibly just 2 hours the second time. I was able to pick up one of the gold owls (to go with my silver owl) during the second window between work meetings.

So there are definitely some of what I consider standard issue pieces that get sold out within hours.

gee I guess mintage will go up to 93 ! unless more people say oh Dan oh Dan I missed then it will go up to 100 !

my opinion when he says final it should be final ! case in point http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1.aspx 2016 owl wound up being 138 !

@1940coupe said:
    my opinion when he says final it should be final ! case in point http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1.aspx 2016 owl wound up being 138 !

125 -> 138 not a big deal

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 4:33PM

@1940coupe said:
    gee I guess mintage will go up to 93 ! unless more people say oh Dan oh Dan I missed then it will go up to 100 !

The mintage will stay at 92. I usually keep a couple extra in reserve. sometimes people will email me when something goes out of stock and ask if I can hold one for them once they become available again. Once in a while (but not always) I can actually acommodate that.

People have asked about a "subscription service" or the like. The problem is that, with such a diverse line of products, it can get complicated trying to track who wants what (rarely does anybody want everything).

So for now, it will generally remain a "luck of the draw" situation. When I put out new products (or more quantities of existing products) I don't tell anyone beforehand. Things can come and go without any prior warning, and at any time of the day (or night ;) ).

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a blast to have a coin press. I've been a machinist/toolmaker most all of my life so this would be right down my alley. Really cool stuff B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

@Zoins said:
    Wow, I've been looking for a 64-D Clashed PL Morgan day and night on his website but just woke up to find out I missed them. I asked him for one via email earlier so hopefully I can still get one.

If his pieces keep selling out before one even has a chance to buy them, the collecting dynamic is certainly changing. Checking the website all the time and not being able to buy one is an interesting experience.

I've been collecting Dan's work for 10 years and love my 1917 Peace. If the pieces sell out this fast, then perhaps there needs to be a way to for long time collectors to get them, e.g. via a pre-order or something.

That's the nature of a free market. Dynamics change all the time. With this issue though, they were up for a while then sold out so he decided to do another batch which he announced a week or so ago. I think once people started getting these in hand word spread of how killer they are (guilty) and that pumped the interest. You need to move fast sometimes. I hope you do get one. Maybe someone who bought many multiples will throw one your way. I would but I only got a couple for myself.

I've noticed there's good reason he calls it the Moonlight Mint. A lot of stuff is activated sometime during the night. The early bird analogy is spot on. When I saw that he put up 40+ at first I thought they would at least last until mid day. I was wrong. > @Zoins said:

@illini420 said:

The clashed brilliant satin version was available for weeks but the clashed PL version was only available twice, for hours each time. I now have an order in and will have both a PL and PL clashed pair. Thanks Dan!

Another piece that I've seen only available for hours is the 1/10th ounce owl gold piece. I believe it was out for a day or less the first time and possibly just 2 hours the second time. I was able to pick up one of the gold owls (to go with my silver owl) during the second window between work meetings.

So there definitely some of what I consider standard issue pieces that get sold out within hours.

The PL clasher was up for at least a few days the first time if I remember right. But once people started getting theirs and posting how killer they were in hand (guilty) it spurred a high level of interest which attributed to the quick sellout of the second batch today.

Was the 1/10 gold owl only up for only a few hours the first time?? I wasn't really paying attention.
    As for the second go last week it was up for a good portion of the day and I bought the last one in the early evening.

The more you VAM..

Here's a Schuler for 125k or best offer considered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321897782251

@crazyhounddog said:
    It would be a blast to have a coin press. I've been a machinist/toolmaker most all of my life so this would be right down my alley. Really cool stuff B)

If the 1964-D Morgan Dollars are history, we now anxiously await the next version of the 1917 Peace "Broken Sword". Let the excitement begin !

Will Dan have some new Coin Club / Numismatic Society / Commemoratives in the works for 2017 as well ? We can only hope so.

Dan Fan
    edited March 7, 2017 5:45PM

@CascadeChris said:
    The PL clasher was up for at least a few days the first time if I remember right. But once people started getting theirs and posting how killer they were in hand (guilty) it spurred a high level of interest which attributed to the quick sellout of the second batch today.

This is not the case with the PL clashed dies according to my recollection. It was posted in the evening and when I woke up the next day it was out of stock before anyone received them in hand. I know because I've been checking the website multiple times a day from that time forward and did email Dan while I continued to check. I just wasn't counting on it to be out while I was still sleeping.

I think it's actually great to have Dan's pieces increase in popularity. Dan's been a great member of the boards for years. It's great to see the progression of pieces including creativity and design as well as his first hand knowledge of minting techniques.

edited March 7, 2017 6:05PM

Why are the DC 1964 Morgan $ history ?

My count shows 1,579 total made of 1,964 possible.

I'm holding out for true black and white frosty cameos please, not just proof like.

Maybe we can see some mule strikes with 1964 Morgan obverse & 1917 broken sword reverse, Or ???

Lindy

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

This is not the case with the PL clashed dies according to my recollection. It was posted in the evening and when I woke up the next day it was out of stock before anyone received them in hand. I know because I've been checking the website multiple times a day from that time forward and did email Dan while I continued to check. I just wasn't counting on it to be out while I was still sleeping.

I think it's actually great to have Dan's pieces increase in popularity. Dan's been a great member of the boards for years. It's great to see the progression of pieces including creativity and design as well as his first hand knowledge of minting techniques.

I seem to remember them being up for a day or two. Not entirely sure though so I'll have to take your word for it.

The more you VAM..

@LindyS said:

I feel like I made enough of them and I'm a little bored with it now.
    I would have made more proof-likes, but due to the striking parameters, the "cameo" effect would wear off the dies rather quickly when striking. I also wasn't entirely satisfied with how the matte version looks, so those were even more limited.

However, there might be a "last hurrah": "X"-cancelled die strikes.
    I did some years ago when I produced the "1964-D" Peace over-strikes (but I never released any of those).
    If I do any X-cancelled Morgans, I will make enough over-strikes to offer them as a product this time.

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Take it from someone that has spent $50k on D.C. Issues , that Dan will never be able to make everyone happy .
    He does his best to accommodate and make things as fair as possible, but everyone needs to realize that the final mintage is most times never known ( unless noted) , so if you want it you better grab it while you can .
    His releases can come at any time and any hour of the day or night .
    He's been doing it this way as long as I know of and that's what builds the mystery and the chase .
    If you expect to cherry pick every single small issue then you will be in for surprises .
    Buy at least one of every issue when seen and you will be guaranteed some home runs and if nothing else then you will add another amazing D.C. Piece to your collection.
    When I see people asking for special treatment after buying a few pieces I have to chuckle .

I can tell you one thing though with all certainty ,that you will always receive a quality product and though you may impatiently wait on occasion, be sure that your items will arrive unless some drastic unforeseen circumstances arise and Dan will make good on the problem .

Peace
    DC fan , collector, friend

@LindyS said:
    Here's a Schuler for 125k or best offer considered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321897782251

@crazyhounddog said:

Stamping is the easy part. Making the dies is the hard part. Of course, a coin press isn't much good without dies.
    That Shuler press is interesting. I was not aware that the US Mint has released any of that generation equipment (if that is indeed US Mint surplus). Those Shuler presses are super fast. But they are not so good for collector coins because they are horizontal-acting (gravity assists in feeding blanks and extracting struck coins). You can't easily strike collector coins one at a time with a horizontal-acting press - a traditional vertical-acting press is better for that. That is why when the Denver Mint swapped out all their Grabener presses for Shuler presses, they sent all their Grabener presses to San Francisco (except for one ;) ).

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 7:57PM

Very intrigued about the X-ed out morgans... interesting! How about an X-ed out morgan front on a broken sword peace reverse????

are we wearing you out or the morgans?

although ~400 is a lot of ideas and a lot of sell through.

hmmmm high relief?

there are those desirous of items struck with current dies.

@jwitten said:
    Very intrigued about the X-ed out Morgans... interesting! How about an X-ed out Morgan front on a broken sword peace reverse????

these would surely mark (ha) the end of the 64-d Morgan overstrikes.

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

I feel like I made enough of them and I'm a little bored with it now.
    I would have made more proof-likes, but due to the striking parameters, the "cameo" effect would wear off the dies rather quickly when striking. I also wasn't entirely satisfied with how the matte version looks, so those were even more limited.

However, there might be a "last hurrah": "X"-cancelled die strikes.
    I did some years ago when I produced the "1964-D" Peace over-strikes (but I never released any of those).
    If I do any X-cancelled Morgans, I will make enough over-strikes to offer them as a product this time.

Kill me now! I'm in for 3; or 2 each if you're doing it with both die pairs. :smile:

The more you VAM..
    edited March 8, 2017 9:44AM

image from Dans web site

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 10:01AM

@CascadeChris said:

Maybe you're thinking of the Brilliant Satin clashed Morgan?

That version was released Jan 21st -- perhaps over-shadowed by the same-day release of the 1917 Peace Dollar pieces.

6 days later you posted some great photos.

Interestingly, the Brilliant Satin clasher's mintage is only 84 (so far). If that becomes final, it'll be the lowest mintage version of the '64 Morgan.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file