Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2017 4:40PM

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although final mintages for the five (5) 1964-D versions are not yet listed, each now shows as NOT IN STOCK. Can this be the end of the Morgan mintage and what does Dan have in store for us with the already stunning 1917 Peace "broken sword" ?????

Dan Fan
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received my peace dollar and '64 Morgan; beautiful!

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it would be nice to make some more from burnished eagles for the rest of us schmucks that didn't get one.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Dan- thanks! I'm starting to accumulate a nice little hoard of Carr creations- this is fun.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Maybe it would be nice to make some more from burnished eagles for the rest of us schmucks that didn't get one.

This is all part of the fun with Carr offerings. And I'm not just saying that because I got one. I get it, if I didn't I'd be a touch bummed too but when you do it's awesome. And another bus always comes along. He's always doing fun things.

The more you VAM..
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    ...what does Dan have in store for us with the already stunning 1917 Peace "broken sword" ?????

After looking at the previous 64/65 Peace dollars, I'm guessing we'll see matte and proof-like versions for the 1917.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

PocketArt ~ You are breakin' my <3 with those images !

I Absolutely agree with CascadeChris and am very pleased to have one each of the 1964-D Morgan varieties.

COCollector may very well be correct and perhaps Dan will even create something "extra special" as well.

Dan Fan
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding the Broken Sword Peace dollars, Dan told me by email that he would likely release a matte version but the a proof like version wasn't likely due to technical difficulties

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drfish said:
    Regarding the Broken Sword Peace dollars, Dan told me by email that he would likely release a matte version but the a proof like version wasn't likely due to technical difficulties

I could see this due to the Broken Sword field surface which is concave and quite beautiful. The die would have to be polished to have a flat field for a proof like.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@drfish said:

I could see this due to the Broken Sword field surface which is concave and quite beautiful. The die would have to be polished to have a flat field for a proof like.

I disagree. You can certainly have a proof or proof-like look on a concave surface... just a couple of years ago we had the Baseball Hall of Fame coins that were much more concave and those came in proof.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, but the matte on his '64 Peace dollars was by far the nicer (IMHO) and would be on for one of the '17s in matte also.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited March 1, 2017 9:49PM

@illini420 said:

@Zoins said:

@drfish said:

I disagree. You can certainly have a proof or proof-like look on a concave surface... just a couple of years ago we had the Baseball Hall of Fame coins that were much more concave and those came in proof.

To be more accurate, I should have said that it would be harder to do a concave surface if the polishing equipment for a concave surface isn't readily available. I'm assuming that the polishing equipment is different for a flat vs. concave surface and that the equipment for a concave surface is less readily available.

edited March 1, 2017 9:50PM

I don't think mirrored fields will look all that great on a peace dollar. Now a matte, well, I just heard my wallet shed another tear and it will probably have an all out panic attack once they're released :wink:

The more you VAM..
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who wants to start a Dan Carr price guide? Not me but someone should :D

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

A price guide would be interesting.

I've been thinking that with the continuing talk of the down market, Dan's pieces are one of the bright areas in the hobby where prices and demand seems to continue to go up. The pieces are very well executed and have a growing following. For new collectors, I would actually recommend buying select pieces at issue prices to protect from paying too much tuition up front.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2017 10:39PM

I like my 1964 die 6 peace proof like finish dollars 180 minted ! If he made 1964 peace dont know why he couldn't make 1917

@Justacommeman said:

mark

It could go with the DcarrFacts pages

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see a 2021 Peace HR in gold...if the Mint doesn't do one. A Peace centennial silver round would be nice and consistent with other products.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the "S" mint mark on mine

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Where are these pages?

@Kudbegud said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Where are these pages?

wishful thinking on my part

a fan may be able to start them with his permission

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 9:04AM

A 1906 St. Gaudens Double Eagle in high relief would be so nice.

edited March 2, 2017 9:17AM

"Facts pages" do exist. His production blog is here with mintage totals, production dates and issue prices...

http://www.moonlightmint.com/coin_catalog.htm

The more you VAM..
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The gold St. Gaudens would be nice, maybe we could supply the coins and pay him the price for striking them.

@HalfStrike said:
    The gold St. Gaudens would be nice, maybe we could supply the coins and pay him the price for striking them.

A high-relief would be awesome.

Dan's Confederate double eagles were ones where you could supply your own double eagle.

I've been wondering if this approach would work better for other higher priced coins.

@CascadeChris said:
    "Facts pages" do exist. His production blog is here with mintage totals, production dates and issue prices...

of course.

I was thinking more of putting all the mintages, images, dimensions, content, year etc. for each issue on a page or group of issues on a page

edited March 2, 2017 9:26AM

@Zoins said:

@HalfStrike said:

Dan's Confederate double eagles were ones where you could supply your own double eagle.

I've been wondering if this approach would work better for other higher priced coins.

I would readily supply a gold coin for overstriking. the delay would be with finding a suitable one at auction or for sale at a reasonable price.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:

@HalfStrike said:

I would readily supply a gold coin for overstriking. the delay would be with finding a suitable one at auction or for sale at a reasonable price.

i think he could do a high relief on any gold St. Gaudens coin, the ones he just released were done that way. I notice they came out much cleaner as the strike went deeper into the surface.

Q: are all of the matte proof 64-D morgan overstrikes finished as pictured or are they all antiqued or ?

Here is a quick scan of mine with certificate. It looks just like the image on the web site. As far as I know they are all identified only as 'matte finish'.

Wonder if Dan is going to release the eight pieces that were struck with clashed dies ????

Dan Fan

@CascadeChris said:
    Since I'm a variety hunter and really hate filling holes etc I've been thinking of selling off my albums, aside the near full Morgan and peace, and all the random slabs and stuff I accumulated when I was a novice and focus exclusively on cherrypicking while trying to complete a full Carr collection. One of every overstrike and original he has produced while getting new ones as they come out. That should be quite the challenge. Am I crazy lol.

please keep us updated on your attempt to buy one of every strike and original he has produced !

edited March 2, 2017 3:59PM

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:
    Since I'm a variety hunter and really hate filling holes etc I've been thinking of selling off my albums, aside the near full Morgan and peace, and all the random slabs and stuff I accumulated when I was a novice and focus exclusively on cherrypicking while trying to complete a full Carr collection. One of every overstrike and original he has produced while getting new ones as they come out. That should be quite the challenge. Am I crazy lol.

please keep us updated on your attempt to buy one of every strike and original he has produced !

Well that might be way too lofty a goal as a lot are super low mintage or not even released or super expensive but when I can pick up something I don't have I will. And I probably won't go after different finishes unless it's a series I really like.

Hey 40, just curious if you got that walker / ASE on eBay for $750 as I know you like his pieces that are multi-struck.

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

Well that might be way too lofty a goal as a lot are super low mintage or not even released or super expensive but when I can pick up something I don't have I will. And I probably won't go after different finishes unless it's a series I really like.

Hey 40, just curious if you got that walker / ASE on eBay for $750 as I know you like his pieces that are multi-struck.

no not me ! I prefer his fantasy date over strikes ! few years back I started at top of fantasy date page and bought two of everything its been a hard and costly road ! I do have a new double strike I will be posting soon

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

no not me ! I prefer his fantasy date over strikes ! few years back I started at top of fantasy date page and bought two of everything its been a hard and costly road ! I do have a new double strike I will be posting soon

Hmm. One of the buffalo nickels maybe?

The more you VAM..
    edited March 2, 2017 5:16PM

Is anyone going to the ANA National Money Show in Orlando next week and who might be the best dealers to check with for some of Dan's work ??

Dan Fan
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    Is anyone going to the ANA National Money Show in Orlando next week and who might be the best dealers to check with for some of Dan's work ??

Illini420 or Jay Robinson if they are going

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 8:29PM

Here's two quick images for your viewing pleasure. They came in last week.
    I can see that the two coins have really different finishes.

1917 'High Grade', 1964-D 'Die pair 2, Proof Like'

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Amazing pictures!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow lance. Those pics are the cats meow!

The more you VAM..

Hope Dan waits a while before releasing anything new so we can all refill our pocket books !

No joke there, he could hurt a few with some big gold issues of this Peace Dollar!

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Voyageur said:

Illini420 or Jay Robinson if they are going

mark

I won't be able to make the show and I don't think Mike(illini420) is but I would check with him here to be sure.
    Not sure if either will be there but Jim Cauley(errors and more)
    And jackpot gold and silver usually have some of Dans items.

@7Jaguars said:
    No joke there, he could hurt a few with some big gold issues of this Peace Dollar!

would it look as good in gold?

maybe a gold poof, but that'd show those lathe lines.

I've got faith in Dan improving the "lathe" effect soon. They don't seem to show in the 1/4 oz Clark, Gruber specimens as much.

@MsMorrisine said:

@7Jaguars said:

would it look as good in gold?

maybe a gold poof, but that'd show those lathe lines.

I think it could look great in gold, especially the broken sword reverse.

@MsMorrisine said:

@CascadeChris said:

of course.

I was thinking more of putting all the mintages, images, dimensions, content, year etc. for each issue on a page or group of issues on a page

uh.

I see he has essentially this already (with b/w drawings)

Yes.

Yes, I'm a moron.

Just another good day at the P.O.... Dan's 1964-D High Grade Finish, CLASHED, Die Pair 2 PL arrived today, and quickly too !

Dan Fan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file