Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest score off the Bay

My first ANACS slabbed. Will go perfectly with the 2016 Centennial 3 coin set.

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

Great piece for sure . I bought some, however I wish I had bought many more as they were a great offering from Dan :)

The neatest one I've seen was offered by eBay seller Jackpot G&S . He had his friend John Schipp a hobo coin carver do a decoration around the open spaces surrounding the coin center . Great idea and well executed. It may be in someone's collection that is a member here . I'm sorry I don't have a pic to show you. There is a lot of room around the center for a carver to work their magic :)

Enjoy your new purchase !!

Nice. That would be a double art piece. Art on art.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck on a real coin: COIN

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Gee just like I said earlier ! cant use blanks for fantasy dates and uses same type coin to over strike !

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

@Kudbegud said:

>

The neatest one I've seen was offered by eBay seller Jackpot G&S . He had his friend John Schipp a hobo coin carver do a decoration around the open spaces surrounding the coin center . Great idea and well executed. It may be in someone's collection that is a member here . I'm sorry I don't have a pic to show you. There is a lot of room around the center for a carver to work their magic :)

Enjoy your new purchase !!

I had a couple of those carved as well a year or so ago. Only the only the ones that had other issues.
    We have a member of our coin club who sent several out to carvers around the country for his collection. Some are pretty darn awesome.

Pictures? Please?

@bigjpst said:

I had a couple of those carved as well a year or so ago. Only the only the ones that had other issues.
    We have a member of our coin club who sent several out to carvers around the country for his collection. Some are pretty darn awesome.

It seems in the last 3-4 years a lot of unknown carvers have appeared on the scene . Some stuff is amateurish and some is WORLD CLASS ..
    This particular piece offers a large canvas, so I can imagine the potential for some amazing carvings .
    I wish I could afford Aleksey Subarov as his stuff is absolutely amazing.
    Anyone that has seen his piece called " The Coin Collector" knows what I'm saying .
    There are some really talented people out there though that only recently have arrived on that scene .
    Good stuff for sure !!! :)

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have pictures of the ones I had carved, they have long since sold. Neither were from big name carvers.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

A fantasy strike trade dollar would be popular.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

The insight is much appreciated

The thought behind the issues makes them even more interesting

It also helps with bio and issue story telling

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 10:57PM

@dcarr For the 1942 steel cent, would you consider a "D" mark instead of a "P" mark? "D" similar to the 1964-D Peace Dollars has more meaning to me because Moonlight Mint is located near Denver and D can also mean Dan ;) Would "P" have a meaning here?

For the "DC" mark, I think that may generally suffice for overstrikes with different details. In a slightly different scenario, the Smithsonian has issued fantasy Confederate cents with correct dates where the only identifier is a "SI" mark on the reverse for "Smithsonian Institute".

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 10:04PM

How about an 1859 flying eagle cent?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @dcarr For the 1942 steel cent, would you consider a "D" mark instead of a "P" mark? "D" similar to the 1964-D Peace Dollars has more meaning to me because Moonlight Mint is located near Denver and D can also mean Dan ;) Would "P" have a meaning here?

For the "DC" mark, I think that may generally suffice for overstrikes with different details. In a slightly different scenario, the Smithsonian has issued fantasy Confederate cents with correct dates where the only identifier is a "SI" mark on the reverse for "Smithsonian Institute".

I like the "1942" large "P" idea because it just seems strange and yet somehow fitting due to the war nickels. This is partly because no Lincoln cent ever had a "P" mint mark (until this year).

edited March 12, 2017 11:11PM

@COCollector said:
    How about an 1859 flying eagle cent?

That is one that I have thought of, and is probable at some point.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel, How about a 1974-P mint marked Aluminum Cent ?

Overstruck on a ?

Host coin would have to be foreign, maybe US struck for a foreign country that weighs about .93 grams.
    Maybe something made for the Philippines ?

I've always liked the improved details of 1974 Lincoln obverse die. And I've always liked Aluminum Lincoln.

Lindy

the problem with a true 1974 aluminum overstrike is there is nothing available in the lincoln cent category to overstrike. as he described above, he wants to overstrike on the same type coin.

He likely wouldn't want to overstrike a copperless zincoln either, but I'd like to see one. I think it'd be a good laugh.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    the problem with a true 1974 aluminum overstrike is there is nothing available in the lincoln cent category to overstrike. as he described above, he wants to overstrike on the same type coin.

He likely wouldn't want to overstrike a copperless zincoln either, but I'd like to see one. I think it'd be a good laugh.

If I were to ever make any sort of aluminum-looking "1974" cent, it would probably be over-struck on a copper-less zinc Lincoln.

edited March 13, 2017 2:32PM

wow.

ok.

the insight is much appreciated. it's very valuable.

@Kudbegud said:

Looks like the Buffalo is on a little site seeing trip. Took an excursion to Guam. Gonna be a couple more days till I have him in hand. Oh those crazy guys in the USPS.

edited March 17, 2017 4:34PM

Question about ANACS for you guys ?????

I tried calling today, however I got back late today and missed them .

I received the email about the $8 submissions Special for G & S US minted Coins with a min 15 coin limit .

Do any of you know if they will grade my D.C. Issues for this price ??
    If so is there a max limit of coins submitted at that special price ??

Thanks in advance if you know the answer for sure :)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:
    Question about ANACS for you guys ?????

I tried calling today, however I got back late today and missed them .

I received the email about the $8 submissions Special for G & S US minted Coins with a min 15 coin limit .

Do any of you know if they will grade my D.C. Issues for this price ??
    If so is there a max limit of coins submitted at that special price ??

Thanks in advance if you know the answer for sure :)

Others have sent the DC coins in during those specials, and they were allowed. I have about 10 $2 1/2 Indians I will probably send along with a few DC coins for the special. I think you can do as many as you want, it was just a minimum of 15 coins.

Thanks again JW !!
    I'm finding you to be about the most helpful guy on all of these coin forums :)

edited March 17, 2017 5:43PM

I called them direct a few years back and they told me that they wanted like $13 a coin based on its category . Since then I've seen people say differently.
    I just don't want to spend the time and energy filling out all of those forms only to be hit with something more expensive.
    I would love to have a great deal of my D.C. Issues slabbed, but at $13 plus other expenses per coin it starts to get expensive for lesser $ amount issues .

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent 20 of my DC coins on their last special for something like 15 for $140 shipping included. All it said was US coins only. And an extra $10 per over 15. I called and they said Carr items are included. I sent his original work tokens too. They know DC items and are included in their specials. However since this is a silver or gold special the hiccup would be if you wanted to slab his bronze or platinum etc issues imo. I might just send some more off with this special too

The more you VAM..
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

A year or so ago I sent in about 20 gold Indians on one of the specials. It wasn't until I sent it that I realized it was only for a tier that did not include gold. I thought they would charge me extra, but they went ahead and gave me the special price! I was pleased.

@CascadeChris said:
    I sent 20 of my DC coins on their last special for something like 15 for $140 shipping included. All it said was US coins only. And an extra $10 per over 15. I called and they said Carr items are included. I sent his original work tokens too. They know DC items and are included in their specials. However since this is a silver or gold special the hiccup would be if you wanted to slab his bronze or platinum etc issues imo. I might just send some more off with this special too

Sounds good to me Brother !!

I have a feeling though that some of the stuff I'm going to send them will have them on the phone with Dan ;)
    Lol

edited March 17, 2017 6:53PM

If they know Dans stuff and will accept the $8 grading charge then why would they care if it was bronze, pewter, brass or platinum ??
    If they know the his stuff then it doesn't cost them anymore time ;)

I don't know crapola between MS 69 and MS 70, but it may save them time on the phone authenticating DC items by bringing me in .. lol
    I could use the work and I like the Colorado scenery :)

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:
    ...I have a feeling though that some of the stuff I'm going to send them will have them on the phone with Dan ;)

Some of Dan's products include a descriptive card. But some don't.

And even if you're familiar with his products & website, sometimes it takes a while to find the right info -- especially for older low-mintage stuff.

So when there's no card, I make my own. Like this:

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding using the ANACS special offers to grade Dan's coins: I emailed ANACS last year and I was told I could not use last year's Fall Special offer for Dan's coins, but they'd offer me $12/coin for amounts over 20.

I know folks here have received better deals by combining special offers. Maybe it depends on the special offer.

I am very happy with ANACS service and am not complaining. Just FYI.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2017 3:36AM

ALL listed “1964-D” Fantasy Over-Struck Morgan Dollars SOLD OUT

(l8-)>>

edited March 18, 2017 6:08AM

I enrolled at My USPS yesterday and this morning it gave me tracking number of my current in transit Dan Carr order.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2017 6:18AM

Yes, it looks like the 1964-D Morgan issue is now in the history books, except perhaps, for some of those "special" strikes Dan has not released (yet). Glad I was able to get a full set at the issue price.

Will there be new die pairs for the 1917 Broken Sword Peace Dollar in our future? Only Dan knows for sure.........

Dan Fan

Dont want to sound like a broken record but I hope he does a 1920 peace dollar he said he might do !

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, can you put a release date below the title when you release new items?

I'd like to purchase 1921 in roman numerals like in the image from the bottom of the article:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/an-interview-with-peace-dollar-historian-roger-burdette/

"MCMXXI"

@LindyS said:
    I'd like to purchase 1921 in roman numerals like in the image from the bottom of the article:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/an-interview-with-peace-dollar-historian-roger-burdette/

"MCMXXI"

I have a feeling that there's a strong possibility of this one happening. We'll have to wait few years to find out though.

The more you VAM..

Dan said this ! As of last year, I was planning to eventually make "1931" high-relief Peace Dollars. But that was before I discovered the "Broken Sword" casting. Now that I have done a "1917" High Relief Peace, I'm not planning a "1931". Future plans for over-strike Morgan/Peace dollars include some things in 2021 related to the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan and the first Peace dollars. Maybe a "1920" Morgan using the 1921 hub style, and perhaps a "1920" Broken Sword Peace. Beyond that, I have no plans for any other Morgan/Peace items (unless some other unforeseen and significant artifact turns up).

@edgar said:

Sweet. I saw a new batch of PL and Satin Clashed a couple of nights ago around midnight Moonlight Mint time and was able to get one last order in. When I woke up, they were out again.

edited March 18, 2017 9:23AM

Dan said he would definitely consider a Roman numeral date in the future in this post. Can't wait!

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:
    Great use of the Broken Sword casting @dcarr ! Would it be possible to do an overstrike with the following:

• Obverse relief same as reverse relief at 0.030 inches
    • Obverse date using Roman numbers per de Francisci's design

That is something that I would definitely consider four years from now (in 2021 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Peace Dollar).

This year I am focusing on items related to the 100th anniversary of WW1.

@Zoins said:

@edgar said:

Sweet. I saw a new batch of PL and Satin Clashed a couple of nights ago around midnight Moonlight Mint time and was able to get one last order in. When I woke up, they were out again.

Me to I bought a Pl no clashing about 1am ! and then he was out so I bought the very last proof (no clashing)

I can see a 2021 100th anniversary date coin in 2021 ! but the 1920 dated coin hopefully comes sooner some of us may not be around in 2021 ?

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a 1909 S "VDB" but make the "VDB" VBD"?

• Well, I guess I am only getting the die 2 clashed on ebay. Have all the others and 3 of some, but didn't get the clashed die 2. That means Die 1 clashed (Die 2 very close though) and matte versions are the winners of this.

Im guessing time is running out on these if you want one better get it now ! http://www.dc-coin.com/2008hardtimestoken536minted-2-3-1-1-2-2-2-1-1.aspx

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Morgan coins. I wonder how the cheek and field are so smooth and free of bag marks because the coin is over-struck over existing circulated Morgan dollar ... hmn ?

@Rarity said:
    Beautiful Morgan coins. I wonder how the cheek and field are so smooth and free of bag marks because the coin is over-struck over existing circulated Morgan dollar ... hmn ?

The new strike obliterates any minor imperfections of the host coin.

The more you VAM..

@Rarity said:

If marks on the host coin are deep enough, those marks will still show after the over-strike.
    So when I buy Morgan and Peace Dollars to over-strike, I choose ones that have smooth wear, cleaned, polished, etc. But no deep gashes.

@abcde12345 said:
    How about a 1909 S "VDB" but make the "VDB" VBD"?

That is a rather small change from an existing coin, so I would not do that.
    I do have a Lincoln Cent item in mind, however, but it is a fantasy date piece.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file