Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    coin one looks like die 1 closed 9 and coin 2 looks like die 2 open 9 but click on link and see for yourself it has pictures

That is correct.

@LindyS said:
    My 2016 PL Clark & Gruber 1/4 oz 24k Colorado Gold arrived today in a well packed box.
    My first DC Colorado 24k gold piece.
    I needed this piece to complete my little set of MMOH 2016 issues as I thought it was related. I hope its the same die.

Daniel, is this 2016 22mm PL Gold Obverse Die same as you used on your 2016 PL MMOH overstrikes / counterstrikes ?

Lindy

The obverse die used for the 2016 Moonlight Mint Open House tokens was the exact same obverse die used on the 1/4-oz gold 2016 Clark Gruber issues.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@1940coupe said:
    coin one looks like die 1 closed 9 and coin 2 looks like die 2 open 9 but click on link and see for yourself it has pictures

That is correct.

Thank you 1940coupe and Dan! I knew I came to the right place.

The satin versions show the same differences in the denticles and date (both labeled die pair 2 by ANACS).

I'm glad I have the right coins (one each of the four 1909-O Morgan versions). I'll contact ANACS about the labels.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

@dcarr said:

@1940coupe said:

That is correct.

Thank you 1940coupe and Dan! I knew I came to the right place.

The satin versions show the same differences in the denticles and date (both labeled die pair 2 by ANACS).

I'm glad I have the right coins (one each of the four 1909-O Morgan versions). I'll contact ANACS about the labels.

I have some of these 1909 Proofs ! I like Die 2 Pl best only 57 high grade made !

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS labels are more trustworthy than the labels from the Moonlight Mint?
    That's an interesting theory.

@abcde12345 said:
    ANACS labels are more trustworthy than the labels from the Moonlight Mint?
    That's an interesting theory.

Are you referring to my post?

If so: I said it was possible. I also noted that I bought the 1909-Os off Ebay, so the labels could have been accidentally swapped later.

I wanted to get the expert's opinions before I approached ANACS.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

For long-term storage of the 2oz token, I found this Air-tite:

Inside depth (5.49mm) is fine. But the black ring is slightly too big. So I inserted a tiny wedge of that black stuff, to keep it snug & rattle-free.

The Air-tite is available from many sources, like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NRBD7PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I received my 1917 high relief and 2 ounce medal. The obverse is nice but not overly impressive, both my pieces have faint annoying spiral marks. The reverse though!!! Wowzers is all I can say, it's completely off the charts! The detail and crispness is far beyond anything I've seen on a coin. I just love the 2 ouncer! Looks like I need to clean out the sofa cushions so I can buy a few more. Nice job Dan!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice lighting felinfoel

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    nice lighting felinfoel

Thanks! The lighting on my setup is jury-rigged right now; I just ordered two clip-on lamps that should help.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 8:36PM

One thing Dan has mentioned is that luster improves as the dies are used and aged. I ordered a 1917 when they first came out which had some luster and I thought was beautiful. I just received my 2nd 1917 which has an amazing amount of luster. I'm simply blown away by how gorgeous it looks! I may have to get another one further down the line to do another comparison!

Dan's 1917 Broken Sword Peace Dollar is one that I can whole heartedly recommend to everyone.

@Zoins said:
    One thing Dan has mentioned is that luster improves as the dies are used and aged. I ordered a 1917 when they first came out which had some luster and I thought was beautiful. I just received my 2nd 1917 which has an amazing amount of luster. I'm simply blown away by how gorgeous it looks! I may have to get another one further down the line to do another comparison!

Dan's 1917 Broken Sword Peace Dollar is one that I can whole heartedly recommend to everyone.

I experienced that with the 1965 peace dollars ! order some early and some late the the late ones looked almost proof !

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

I experienced that with the 1965 peace dollars ! order some early and some late the the late ones looked almost proof !

But proofs don't have luster lol. Can we get comparison pics. I'm curious of what the progression looks like.

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

But proofs don't have luster lol. Can we get comparison pics. I'm curious of what the progression looks like.

cant take picture at this time ! but Dan has examples on his blog for 1964 peace die 5 quad struck http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_1.htm although his dont look proof mine does

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 10:46PM

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

cant take picture at this time ! but Dan has examples on his blog for 1964 peace die 5 quad struck http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_1.htm although his dont look proof mine does

Thanks for the link to his blog pages. Didn't know about these. Changed the last number and another topic page is revealed. Page 19 is the last right now. What will be next? Learning thanks to Dan and the forum.

How much do Airtights weigh? Too many of these and the added bulk would be tough for dealers to travel to coin shows with.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like another one of Dan's 1916 Walking Liberty Centennial overstrikes on a 2016 Silver Eagle is up on eBay this AM at $1250 (or best offer). Perhaps whoever snagged the one at $750 did not do too bad. By the way, this one does not appear to be the same example as the other that previously sold.

Hey Dan ~ how about doing a 1917 Broken Sword Peace Dollar overstrike on a 2017 Silver Eagle. I would sure buy one of those !

Dan Fan
    edited March 22, 2017 6:10AM

@Voyageur said:
    Looks like another one of Dan's 1916 Walking Liberty Centennial overstrikes on a 2016 Silver Eagle is up on eBay this AM at $1250 (or best offer). Perhaps whoever snagged the one at $750 did not do too bad. By the way, this one does not appear to be the same example as the other that previously sold.

Hey Dan ~ how about doing a 1917 Broken Sword Peace Dollar overstrike on a 2017 Silver Eagle. I would sure buy one of those !

Technically the ASE/WLH is a counterstamp more so than an overstrike due to the smaller size and anniversary ring abound the WLH dies. If he did an overstrike of the broken sword on an ASE the sizes are the same and he doesn't release fantasy date full overstrikes on non-similar host coins if he does a few for fun. I could see a batch of the 999 "failure" broken sword design overstruck on ASE's being technically kosher though.

The more you VAM..
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be a buyer as well, but am a working stiff so can' t usually manage a 10 minute window offering.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited March 22, 2017 8:29AM

This was Dan's posting for them if anyone missed missed it.......

1916 Walking Liberty Centennial, Struck on US Silver Eagle, Only 13 produced

Your Price: SOLD OUT

Out of stock
    Item Number: SB_2016_50_C
    Email this page to a friend

Reeded edge, brilliant satin finish. Nominal diameter is 42mm, but can vary slightly. Walking Liberty design. One troy oz 999 silver. Most show some amount of strike doubling. Do not use as legal tender.
    Central design is an exact-size replication of the US coin which originally debuted in 1916.
    Housed in a non-PVC "flip" holder with certificate.

NOTE: These were produced in late 2016, but were not offered prior to February 2017. Only 13 produced and no more will be made.

They do appear rather impressive and perhaps, someday, I will get to see one 'in hand'.

CascadeChris makes an excellent point about the .999 WW1 "Failure" hard times token. I'm hopeful that Dan will find something appropriate to either overstrike or counterstamp with the 1917 "Broken Sword" design. It would undoubtedly be HUGE.

Dan Fan

How many wonka bars will I have to search for one of those?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    ...I'm hopeful that Dan will find something appropriate to either overstrike or counterstamp with the 1917 "Broken Sword" design. It would undoubtedly be HUGE.

A 5oz silver ATB coin is big enough to counterstamp.

But, is it appropriate? I don't see a tie-in with any ATB subject -- except maybe the year of 2017 coins.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited March 23, 2017 10:08PM

Daniel Carr 1916-S Walking Liberty Centennial, Struck on US Silver Eagle 1 of 13 Well here you go if you wanted one of these ! you have a fair shot at it ! (not my auction) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carr-1916-S-Walking-Liberty-Centennial-Struck-on-US-Silver-Eagle-1-of-13-/332161304516?hash=item4d565b47c4:g:S0AAAOSwXYtY0Yov

Yes, and bidding already seems to be moving right along....
    By the way, this is the new design for the 2017 Greater Jacksonville (Florida) Coin Club 70th Anniversary Medal from Dan.

I like it.

Dan Fan

I like it but it's gone past my wife's OK limit. Always remember rule #1: Happy Wife, Happy Life

@1940coupe said:
    Daniel Carr 1916-S Walking Liberty Centennial, Struck on US Silver Eagle 1 of 13 Well here you go if you wanted one of these ! you have a fair shot at it ! (not my auction) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carr-1916-S-Walking-Liberty-Centennial-Struck-on-US-Silver-Eagle-1-of-13-/332161304516?hash=item4d565b47c4:g:S0AAAOSwXYtY0Yov

It that our bullsitter?

What do you speculate the closing price will be? My guess: over 1K is the value. May close at $800.00

• Paulyaces76Paulyaces76 Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited March 24, 2017 3:07PM

Wish I would have looked on moonlight that day! Damn. I want it, but will go way out of my price range for this!

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

$650.00 or so is my guess.

Since the previous one listed on eBay went for $750, I would guess close to that, if not more.

Dan Fan

Even if not bidding it's still exciting

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

What was the initial price of the over stamped ASE?

Why 13 minted and not 12? 12 is a friendlier number for collectors.

I'm sure whoever got #13 was quite happy there were more than 12. Although I did not see the initial offering, I believe the issue price was for them was $200.

Dan Fan

@Voyageur said:
    I'm sure whoever got #13 was quite happy there were more than 12. Although I did not see the initial offering, I believe the issue price was for them was $200.

Correct. And there were a bunch of naysayers at the $200 pricetag but we Carr collectors knew better. It sure was a split second decision offering though :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Why 13 minted and not 12? 12 is a friendlier number for collectors.

Baker's Dozen.

Actually, 13 is how may 2016 Silver Eagles I had in-hand at the time.

SB_2016_50_C 5,7
    41mm, 1 troy oz. 999 Silver
    Satin

$200

2017 100th Anniversary of WW1 Failure, 2-troy-oz 999 Silver sold out if he doesnt make any more this will be a jewel

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    2017 100th Anniversary of WW1 Failure, 2-troy-oz 999 Silver sold out if he doesnt make any more this will be a jewel

Not sold out just out of stock.

@Bullsitter said:

@1940coupe said:

Not sold out just out of stock.

correct but if he doesnt make more like I said same out come

It's getting damn hard not to sell my WLH/ASE. And if the one up now goes for over $1k it's only gonna get harder. It's at anacs now. I wonder what a 70 would go for :naughty:

The more you VAM..
    edited March 25, 2017 1:51PM

@CascadeChris said:
    It's getting damn hard not to sell my WLH/ASE. And if the one up now goes for over $1k it's only gonna get harder. It's at anacs now. I wonder what a 70 would go for :naughty:

70 = moon money, good luck.

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2017 3:14PM

You guys that are even are his fans are killing me and is has nothing to do with acquiring one .
    Dan threw you a bone and the lucky few got a bite .
    I can't even believe the stuff I'm reading on these threads

edited March 25, 2017 5:02PM

@Bigpoppas said:
    You guys that are even are his fans are killing me and is has nothing to do with acquiring one .

Part of the fun and intrigue with Moonlight Mint offerings is the strong probability of a return on investment whether one sells or just holds and knows that if they do decide to sell they can make a nice ROI. An item that one can quintuple their money on, no matter how awesome or limited, is hard to pass up selling for some. We didn't know exactly how well these would do when we bought them. I'm not saying that I will sell mine and I have a few pieces that will never leave my hands for various reasons until I'm old and grey or I pass them down.

However, to be shocked that some of us would sell this limited piece for such a tidy profit is kinda crazy imo. I can fully understand and appreciate why those who are selling are doing so. And you sell Carr items too. Heck, I bought a an awesome open house piece from you. So I'm not sure where this is coming from unless I'm mis-understanding what you're getting at.

The more you VAM..
  • BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Part of the fun and intrigue with Moonlight Mint offerings is the strong probability of a return on investment whether one sells or just holds and knows that if they do decide to sell they can make a nice ROI. An item that one can quintuple their money on, no matter how awesome or limited, is hard to pass up selling for some. We didn't know exactly how well these would do when we bought them. I'm not saying that I will sell mine and I have a few pieces that will never leave my hands for various reasons until I'm old and grey or I pass them down.

However, to be shocked that some of us would sell this limited piece for such a tidy profit is kinda crazy imo. I can fully understand and appreciate why those who are selling are doing so. And you sell Carr items too. Heck, I bought a an awesome open house piece from you. So I'm not sure where this is coming from unless I'm mis-understanding what you're getting at.

I would respond with many opinions, however what I have to say shouldn't be in the public review. I totally respect you and your love of D.C. , but I think some things I have to say should be private . Please pm if you wish to continue this conversation .

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, you going to leave us hanging? Explain please. Some of us love DC stuff, some of us don't. That's what's great about this hobby. Buy what you like or don't. It's as simple as that.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hate that it has gotten to a mini-segment of flippers now. I never did buy to resell, and have not as I just wanted to collect them for myself as they came out. I don't try to get everything but I do get the pieces I like; a shame about the overstruck silver eagles, but it happens. Won't try to get that one or any further of that genre.
    The overstruck coins I like.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Wanted this one for some time and it became available last week. Arrived yesterday, pics are with the coin in the vinyl flip.

edited March 27, 2017 8:41AM

Dan's fastest delivery.....

Ordered: 3/22/2017
    Shipped: 3/23/2017
    Received: 3/27/17

Was this one of the last "2 ouncers" made at the factory ?

Dan Fan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file