Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2017 10:24AM

I like the self slab you use better than the Lighthouse ones I use. The only draw back I see is not being able to trim the foam in the Lighthouse ones to make a larger coin fit. You need the exact size slab. But your look is excellent.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 12:06PM

The 2016 ASE overstrike with the Centennial Walking Liberty is up to $622.87 on E-Bay.
    1 day and 7 hours to go, WOW!
    [http://ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carr-1916-S-Walking-Liberty-Centennial-Struck-on-US-Silver-Eagle-1-of-13-/332161304516?hash=item4d565b47c4:g:S0AAAOSwXYtY0Yov]

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When this one sells, how long it will take for a third example to appear ? I'm sure the final selling price will have an impact on that potential event.

Dan Fan
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 12:36PM

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    The 2016 ASE overstrike with the Centennial Walking Liberty is up to $622.87 on E-Bay.
    [http://ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carr-1916-S-Walking-Liberty-Centennial-Struck-on-US-Silver-Eagle-1-of-13-/332161304516?hash=item4d565b47c4:g:S0AAAOSwXYtY0Yov]

Bid appears to have started @ $250.

I don't get the current bid value of the DC overstrikes. Looks llke this.

Must be the one out of thirteen.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:

Bid appears to have started @ $250.

I don't get the current bid value of the DC overstrikes. Looks llke this.

Must be the one out of thirteen.

Yes. Its one of the 13 made.

The more you VAM..

@Voyageur said:
    When this one sells, how long it will take for a third example to appear ? I'm sure the final selling price will have an impact on that potential event.

Who knows. With so few available most if not all are in permanent collections already. My guess is maybe only 1 or 2 more at best will come to market in the near future and only due to the persuasion of the selling price. And I wouldn't doubt if someone throws one up BIN to try to get say $1500+ moon money.

The more you VAM..
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:
    You guys that are even are his fans are killing me and is has nothing to do with acquiring one .
    Dan threw you a bone and the lucky few got a bite .
    I can't even believe the stuff I'm reading on these threads

Part of the fun and intrigue with Moonlight Mint offerings is the strong probability of a return on investment whether one sells or just holds and knows that if they do decide to sell they can make a nice ROI. An item that one can quintuple their money on, no matter how awesome or limited, is hard to pass up selling for some. We didn't know exactly how well these would do when we bought them. I'm not saying that I will sell mine and I have a few pieces that will never leave my hands for various reasons until I'm old and grey or I pass them down.

However, to be shocked that some of us would sell this limited piece for such a tidy profit is kinda crazy imo. I can fully understand and appreciate why those who are selling are doing so. And you sell Carr items too. Heck, I bought a an awesome open house piece from you. So I'm not sure where this is coming from unless I'm mis-understanding what you're getting at.

I would respond with many opinions, however what I have to say shouldn't be in the public review. I totally respect you and your love of D.C. , but I think some things I have to say should be private . Please pm if you wish to continue this conversation .

Bigpoppas, I have no dog in this fight as I don't own any of DC's work but IMHO you can't say what you said in your first post and then try to take the high road on your second post. Respectfully either say what you have to say or don't say anything at all.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@CascadeChris said:

And I wouldn't doubt if someone throws one up BIN to try to get say $1500+ moon money.

Like I said, it must be the one of thirteen made.

Moon money of $1500 for an overstruck 2016 ASE? LOLOL

Pull the conjecture reins back, bro.

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

With only 13 of them it would be interesting to see how many went to posters in this thread. I recall several people posting they got one, and 2 have hit Ebay. That makes 11 here or in the wild.

edited March 29, 2017 1:35PM

@epcjimi1 said:

@CascadeChris said:

And I wouldn't doubt if someone throws one up BIN to try to get say $1500+ moon money.

Like I said, it must be the one of thirteen made.

Moon money of $1500 for an overstruck 2016 ASE? LOLOL

Pull the conjecture reins back, bro.

No conjecture. I can most definitely see someone doing that to either sell at that price or let it sit to keep. These have proven to be very popular and command a high price. Carr items have proven to be worth much more than the sum of their parts so the "just an overstruck ASE" counterpoint has nothing to do with it.

The more you VAM..
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone would want it if the mintage were more in line with the other products?
    To each his own, but I can think of so many other cool things to buy with that kind of money.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 5:23AM

there are collectors of DC stuff that what every thing for there collection so if they miss something there willing to pay the price! thats why for instance the 2015 silver owl 95 minted has sold better that 2016 138 minted more people missed out!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    there are collector of DC stuff that what every thing for there collection so if they miss something there willing to pay the price! thats why for instance the 2015 silver owl 95 minted has sold better that 2016 138 minted more people missed out!

I paid $250 for the 2015 silver owl early last year on eBay. I had to get one of these after purchasing Dan's 2016 silver owl when he offered these on his website to complete my set. I remember those selling out pretty quick so I've been a bit hyper-vigilant checking for the 2017 owl. That's what led to me purchasing the over-struck 2016 ASE- silver lining for OCD I suppose. I still have mine, and no plans to sell.

@PocketArt said:

@1940coupe said:
    there are collector of DC stuff that what every thing for there collection so if they miss something there willing to pay the price! thats why for instance the 2015 silver owl 95 minted has sold better that 2016 138 minted more people missed out!

I paid $250 for the 2015 silver owl early last year on eBay. I had to get one of these after purchasing Dan's 2016 silver owl when he offered these on his website to complete my set. I remember those selling out pretty quick so I've been a bit hyper-vigilant checking for the 2017 owl. That's what led to me purchasing the over-struck 2016 ASE- silver lining for OCD I suppose. I still have mine, and no plans to sell.

I've only ever sold 2 of my many Carr items. One was a 2016 owl for $325. And I still have my one that graded 70 :wink:

The more you VAM..
    edited March 30, 2017 3:08PM

deleted

Dan Fan

@Justacommeman said:
    I've given away a few of my dupes including a Peace fantasy piece to promote the Carr cause. I actually think flipping is indeed healthy on these pieces. How else are you going to have price discovery

mark

Couldn't agree more. My problem though is that I don't even want to sell dups unless it's for a price I just can't say no to.

The more you VAM..
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

95-W?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited March 30, 2017 3:07PM

deleted

Dan Fan
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 6:10PM

This thread sure took a left turn. Someone post a new D.C to get it back on track.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@PocketArt said:

@1940coupe said:

I've only ever sold 2 of my many Carr items. One was a 2016 owl for $325. And I still have my one that graded 70 :wink:

Geez-louise, I wonder how much my 2015 C&G $5,000 gold slug would go for these days? Mebbe I should list it on ebay starting at a buck and let the free market roll. ;-)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1 -> $90,000
    $5,000 -> $450,000,000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 11:41PM

@COCollector said:

Results of my recent ANACS submission:

Nice ! Why does the 1917 broken sword cent. say PL didnt know he made a PL Oh Okay guess it means plain edge

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 12:14AM

@1940coupe said:
    Nice ! Why does the 1917 broken sword cent. say PL didnt know he made a PL reeded edge

The "PL edge" designation surprised me.

To me, PL means proof-like -- which doesn't apply to this broken sword Token. (Its got a nice satin look.)

I'm guessing ANACS uses the "PL edge" designation to mean "Plain edge". This Token is definitely the smooth-edge version.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

Results of my recent ANACS submission

That's a lot of beautiful silver!

Congrats on the collection and the 70s!

edited March 30, 2017 10:33AM

No conjecture. I can most definitely see someone doing that to either sell at that price or let it sit to keep. These have proven to be very popular and command a high price. Carr items have proven to be worth much more than the sum of their parts so the "just an overstruck ASE" counterpoint has nothing to do with it.

LOLOLOL

Speculation or guesswork, that works too.

For an over struck ASE, "just" was never posted,

Pull the reins in, bro.

edit - oh yeah, I forgot, the "{Carr items have proven to be worth much more than the sum of their parts", the synergistic whatever that means baloney.

@epcjimi1 said:

LOLOLOL

Speculation or guesswork, that works too.

For an over struck ASE, "just" was never posted,

Pull the reins in, bro.

edit - oh yeak, I forgot, the "{Carr items have proven to be worth much more than the sum of their parts", the synergistic whatever that means baloney.

:wink:

https://youtu.be/v4LPkmGO5Cc

The more you VAM..

I'm convinced

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will ANACS award any of these the MS70 grade?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 12:42PM

@Voyageur said:
    Great submission COCollector ! I like your idea of posting the images as well. Here is my 'batch' that arrived yesterday.
    Some of Dan's great work on Coin Club and Commemorative designs. A couple are reverse mounted, but that is OK.

Nice bunch you have there, you too, COcollector.

edited March 30, 2017 1:20PM

It's not a Saturn V rocket where each stage, indiivually, each stage succeeds.. Put 'em all together and it'd fail.

Synergistically.

I gotta go on record. C-Chis suggests that a coin is larger than the sum of it parts. Please explain.

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@Voyageur said:
    Great submission COCollector ! I like your idea of posting the images as well. Here is my 'batch' that arrived yesterday.
    Some of Dan's great work on Coin Club and Commemorative designs. A couple are reverse mounted, but that is OK.

That's a really great assortment of D.C. Pieces that you have there :)
    It shows the diversity of his work instead of just the hyper focus on the over strike pieces.
    I LOVE YOUR COLLECTION !!
    Keep on building .

Nice pics too by the way !!

@COCollector said:

Results of my recent ANACS submission:

Another great collection and photo !
    Awesome stuff right there :)

One day I'll get around to submitting all of my stuff . It should.be interesting.

Congrats on some nice submission results. :)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 8:17PM
    edited March 30, 2017 8:55PM

If those went for $750 and $720 then I want to know what the "Guru of value predictions" thinks a piece from Dan should go for with a total mintage of 19 ???
    That would be six more total than the above mentioned issue.

The 2014-D Silver Baseball Concept Dollar, which was submitted to the Mint for consideration in the contest a few years ago.
    It didn't win, but was certainly more significant in DC history than a counter struck ASE .

Please give me opinions Sir , as you said maybe I can't resist the hammer price

@Bigpoppas said:

If those went for $750 and $720 then I want to know what the "Guru of value predictions" thinks a piece from Dan should go for with a total mintage of 19 ???

The 2014-D Silver Baseball Concept Dollar, which was submitted to the Mint for consideration in the contest a few years ago.
    It didn't win, but was certainly more significant in DC history than a counter struck ASE .

Mintage is only one aspect. The counterstamped ASE is highly symbolic. The walking liberty design gave birth to the silver eagle. 1916 is the 100yr anniversary of the WLH and 2016 is the 30th anniversary of the ASE. There are many layers to this one. Its pretty easy to see why it's so desirable and I knew it the second I saw it. Honestly, I think he should have done at least 100 of them but he didn't. I'm not sure where all this hostility is coming from all of the sudden bigpoppas.

The more you VAM..

@Cakes said:

@Bigpoppas said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:
    You guys that are even are his fans are killing me and is has nothing to do with acquiring one .
    Dan threw you a bone and the lucky few got a bite .
    I can't even believe the stuff I'm reading on these threads

Part of the fun and intrigue with Moonlight Mint offerings is the strong probability of a return on investment whether one sells or just holds and knows that if they do decide to sell they can make a nice ROI. An item that one can quintuple their money on, no matter how awesome or limited, is hard to pass up selling for some. We didn't know exactly how well these would do when we bought them. I'm not saying that I will sell mine and I have a few pieces that will never leave my hands for various reasons until I'm old and grey or I pass them down.

However, to be shocked that some of us would sell this limited piece for such a tidy profit is kinda crazy imo. I can fully understand and appreciate why those who are selling are doing so. And you sell Carr items too. Heck, I bought a an awesome open house piece from you. So I'm not sure where this is coming from unless I'm mis-understanding what you're getting at.

I would respond with many opinions, however what I have to say shouldn't be in the public review. I totally respect you and your love of D.C. , but I think some things I have to say should be private . Please pm if you wish to continue this conversation .

Bigpoppas, I have no dog in this fight as I don't own any of DC's work but IMHO you can't say what you said in your first post and then try to take the high road on your second post. Respectfully either say what you have to say or don't say anything at all.

@Cakes
    Since you have no dog in the fight and don't collect DC issues then why enter the ring ??
    I worded my original statement incorrectly as it was meant more to things I would rather say to CC in private.
    He is a collector, fan and seller of D.C. Pieces , so there are things I wanted to say privately . My apologies for confusing the group .

https://youtu.be/pWS8Mg-JWSg

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Mintage is only one aspect. The counterstamped ASE is highly symbolic. The walking liberty design gave birth to the silver eagle. 1916 is the 100yr anniversary of the WLH and 2016 is the 30th anniversary of the ASE. There are many layers to this one. Its pretty easy to see why it's so desirable and I knew it the second I saw it. Honestly, I think he should have done at least 100 of them but he didn't. I'm not sure where all this hostility is coming from all of the sudden bigpoppas.

No hostility CC !!!
    I already invited you too discuss this privately, however you chose not to do so

edited March 30, 2017 9:48PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Do you really believe what you just responded ??
    Seriously bro ??

How about the value of the Silver Baseball Concept Dollar ??

I need to know

Apples and oranges.

edited March 30, 2017 9:55PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Apples and oranges.

Come on Chief !!
    You've been one of the original DC collectors and I'm glad you did well on your sale as it is a great thing for us all .
    Apples and oranges though ??
    One is a concept submission to the US Mint for consideration of a US issue and one is counter stuck ASE .
    Yes they are different pieces for sure, but I just want his opinion on value .

@Bigpoppas said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Seriously bro ??

I need to know

Yes. I believe everything I just wrote as it's the truth. As to the baseball concept dollar value, hard to say, but while it's a cool piece I don't think it would come close to the WLH/ASE for the reasons I stated above. And I'm not really a seller of DC items. I've only ever sold 2 of my many dozens. I just have good instincts due to my aptitude and experience.

The more you VAM..
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure of the price. But the Baseball Concept does nothing for me and I don't want one. I might have 600+ Carr pieces in total

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Bigpoppas said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Apples and oranges.

Come on Chief !!
    You've been one of the original DC collectors and I'm glad you did well on your sale as it is a great thing for us all .
    One is a concept submission to the US Mint for consideration of a US issue and one is counter stuck ASE .

If these 2 coins were available today I would purchase the ASE and pass on the baseball coin, but that's just my opinion. Do you have the baseball coin you're talking about? If you do why not list it for $750 or Best Offer and see what kind of offers you get...ya might get $750 for it, but I doubt it.

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Seriously bro ??

I need to know

Yes. I believe everything I just wrote as it's the truth. As to the baseball concept dollar value, hard to say, but while it's a cool piece I don't think it would come close to the WLH/ASE for the reasons I stated above. And I'm not really a seller of DC items. I've only ever sold 2 of my many dozens. I just have good instincts due to my aptitude and experience.

I think you are the same guy who stated that the seller was asking a little too much for a one of a kind 1880's Morgan Dollar that was Double Broad Struck DC MMOH piece for $200.

Maybe I'm confused ..

I guess it's more of that apples vs oranges scenario .
    Hmmm ??

The ASE is just so much more significant I guess based on your assumptions :)

@Bullsitter said:

@Bigpoppas said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Apples and oranges.

Come on Chief !!

If these 2 coins were available today I would purchase the ASE and pass on the baseball coin, but that's just my opinion. Do you have the baseball coin you're talking about? If you do why not list it for $750 or Best Offer and see what kind of offers you get...ya might get $750 for it, but I doubt it.

Chief, I have the full set of three (Silver-Copper--Brass), however it's not for sale at this point in my life . I'm just curious what he or others think they would bring on Feebay if offered as I haven't seen a single one of them offered since 2014 .

Maybe MOON MONEY !!

I might not be able to resist ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file