Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Netflix - Coin Heist

F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow numismatists,

Just found a cool trailer for an upcoming Netflix movie called Coin Heist. It's supposed to be released January 6th. Since there are so few movies and shows that deal with our hobby, I thought you would all like to know. It looks like it deals with the US mint so it looks pretty cool.

The link to the trailer can be found below or you can just log into your netflix accounts to see the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUyTRSlmXf4

:)

-Stevo

Beware of the flying monkeys!
Aerospace Structures Engineer

Comments

• Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Haha, cool. It made me laugh when they said "print some coins"

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a page for that movie with a better picture of a particular coin:
    https://netflix.com/title/80097725

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a start.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@F117ASR
    Thanks for posting this.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are better heists on the BST and eBay :smile: ... but any coin news is good news.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. Where's the guy that catalogs coins in movies. This should be on the top of the list now lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

I can only imagine how bad the movie is going to be. That said, I will more than likely watch it to see this 10M coin. It'd be neat if the heist was for a real 10M coin, like the 1794 Specimen dollar with silver plug. I wonder if the "money" behind this movie has any interest in coins.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Marked it for viewing even though I should know better.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2016 4:12PM

I think they are going to make a ton of ERROR coins.
    There was a statement the Teacher or US Mint guy said about error coins when the kids were on the field trip.
    It's stated @ 22 secs in the vid.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Italian Job" was good.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

LOL! Love that Michigan quarter!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@dcarr said:

LOL! Love that Michigan quarter!

In the trailer you can see glimpses of more "big fish" Michigan quarters in the pile.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll probably have to take the phone out of service at the shop on January 7. Or field a lot of inane, ambiguous questions about caller's "really rare" coins.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most movies made today are real disappointments... impossible or ridiculous situations, overdone special effects, transparent plots and lousy acting. Very few worthwhile movies anymore.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Most movies made today are real disappointments... impossible or ridiculous situations, overdone special effects, transparent plots and lousy acting. Very few worthwhile movies anymore.... Cheers, RickO

Most forms of entertainment hold this value.
    Whether TV shows, movies, books or sporting events, the enjoyment is in the "eye of the beholder".
    When you break most things down 99 percent of things are vapid.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite coin related movie so far is
    'Getting Even with Dad' - has Ted Danson ripping off PCGS

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks terrible. I'll watch it.
    Lance.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the Netflix film "Coin Heist" about a week ago and am debating whether to add it to my "Coins in Movies" website.

Most of the films on my website are old films, and I have no problem with discussing plots and film events, but "Coin Heist" was released on January 6, 2017, only two weeks ago.

The film was interesting although unrealistic.

Four Philadelphia area high school students, a musician, a socialite, a computer "hacker", and a machinist, break in to the Philadelphia Mint with a scheme to manufacture 2,000 error coins to sell them to raise funds for their school.

The coin they are going to manufacture is a fictional "Wildlife of America" Michigan State Quarter.

Prop coins

The prop coins were made for the film and appear to have the same design on both sides.

At one point the student computer hacker gets into the mint's computer and finds a list of future projects.

Mint project list

The projects include a Medal of Honor Medallion, Nixon Nickel, Wildlife of America Michigan State coin, Sitting Bull One Dollar Coin, and a Trump Wooden Nickel.

Interestingly enough, people here have speculated on what will follow the National Parks series of quarters.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@aus3000tin said:

@ricko said:

Most forms of entertainment hold this value.
    Whether TV shows, movies, books or sporting events, the enjoyment is in the "eye of the beholder".
    When you break most things down 99 percent of things are vapid.

Agreed. The Ghostbusters remake is a prime example. Heck, all remakes and Hollywood's current affinity for them really speaks volumes

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2017 8:19AM

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    I watched the Netflix film "Coin Heist" about a week ago and am debating whether to add it to my "Coins in Movies" website.

Most of the films on my website are old films, and I have no problem with discussing plots and film events, but "Coin Heist" was released on January 6, 2017, only two weeks ago.

The film was interesting although unrealistic.

Four Philadelphia area high school students, a musician, a socialite, a computer "hacker", and a machinist, break in to the Philadelphia Mint with a scheme to manufacture 2,000 error coins to sell them to raise funds for their school.

The coin they are going to manufacture is a fictional "Wildlife of America" Michigan State Quarter.

Prop coins

The prop coins were made for the film and appear to have the same design on both sides.

At one point the student computer hacker gets into the mint's computer and finds a list of future projects.

Mint project list

The projects include a Medal of Honor Medallion, Nixon Nickel, Wildlife of America Michigan State coin, Sitting Bull One Dollar Coin, and a Trump Wooden Nickel.

Interestingly enough, people here have speculated on what will follow the National Parks series of quarters.

I say go for it. Coin being in the title seals the deal alone. And the plotline should have no bearing on inclusion imo.

Fyi, the fish coins have the Washington obverse and are overstruck by Dan Carr on genuine US Mint issued quarters if it helps

The more you VAM..
  • Options

I did NOT like this movie.

Too many plot holes.

The whole execution of the coin making, ie. breaking into the US Mint, was TOO unrealistic.
    Honestly, they just walked in and replaced the die. WHAT ??? HOW ??? Didn't they have to go through security checks. Where did he get an acetylene torch ??? They walk out with a mold of the error coin. HOW ???
    In error, they produced 20,000 coins in less than an hour and got back to play at the Winter Formal. HOW ???
    The whole movie seemed rushed, with scenes pushed together to make a full movie.

The ending was drivel.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started to watch this movie the other day, but didn't make it very far... very corny and ended up shutting it down.

:lol:

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sat through / endured the entire thing, with my three daughters 11, 15, and 15. They actually kind of liked it, I guess the blonde girl was in some tv show they watched. They plan to tell some friends, maybe some new collectors...

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Nice of you to watch it with your 3 Daughters.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Saw the movie. Basically one of the most average movies ever. Some reality flaws, but had the guest appearances of the Red Book and the US Mint so I'm happy.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file