Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed the Total Solar Eclipse medal is back up,so if you didn't get yours ,now may be a good time....Can only buy one or I'd get some more...

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinlearner said:
    Noticed the Total Solar Eclipse medal is back up,so if you didn't get yours ,now may be a good time....Can only buy one or I'd get some more...

Looks like non-holographic versions might be available eventually: http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_list.htm

Maybe soon?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I should purchase one for my wife.
    She is taking my grandson and nieces to view it.
    I'll be home enjoying 4 quiet days with my dog!

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@Coinlearner said:

Last I saw the hologram SE was "discontinued". Probably returns for sale now.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

photo confused013.gif

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a slow shipper, for sure. I waited and waited, and my order finally came. My guess is, if that buyer had waited, he would have gotten his as well. All in all, he probably does deserve a few dings for his slow shipping and poor customer service (the ebay seller, not D. Carr)

• Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 8:16PM

@jwitten said:

He is a slow shipper, for sure. I waited and waited, and my order finally came. My guess is, if that buyer had waited, he would have gotten his as well. All in all, he probably does deserve a few dings for his slow shipping and poor customer service (the ebay seller, not D. Carr)

Click on the link for the Lincoln and you will see the estimated delivery date is July 20-24th and what is today's date ?????

Like you said , the buyer would have received the coin with a little patience and I totally disagree that a seller should get a NEGATIVE for slow shipping .
    Ding him on the shipping speed if need be, but a negative is undeserving .

Tell Coupe to stop stalking the poor guy .. lol :wink:

• Options

wrong again !
    Shipping: $7.20 Expedited Shipping | See details

Item location:
    Fletcher, North Carolina, United States

Ships to:
    United States and many other countries | See details
    Delivery:
    Estimated within 2-5 business days

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright who was the wisenhiemer that disagreed with my above post. How ridiculous. Its a good thing I don't care about that but it's pretty funny

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Alright who was the wisenhiemer that disagreed with my above post. How ridiculous. Its a good thing I don't care about that but it's pretty funny

Who cares about this. Why are we polluting the Carr thread

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2017 2:58AM

Thanks for the image Bullsitter ~ those "Merlin" overstrikes are always nice to see !

Dan Fan
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my 2017 C&G half eagle, nice. And the 2017-D $60 silver owl. Observation on the owl: The octagon portion outside the outer ring is much higher than the devices inside. I don't remember this on my 2015 slug (didn't get the 2016). I know, this is worthless w/o pics. I'll try to image...

• Options

I don't exactly remember which variety this one is as I purchased it about 3-4 years ago . I think it's a copper matte with gold plating on the icon and possibly even rhodium , which gave it the gray finish .. ???
    One of the favorites in my collection from the 2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club varieties set .

CHEERS !!!

• Options

Looks like this one

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    I just received my 2017 C&G half eagle, nice. And the 2017-D $60 silver owl. Observation on the owl: The octagon portion outside the outer ring is much higher than the devices inside. I don't remember this on my 2015 slug (didn't get the 2016). I know, this is worthless w/o pics. I'll try to image...

Okay, seeing them side by side now I see the major difference is the smooth rim on the 2015 and the 2017 has a raised borderless octagon...looks like a blade I could use with my circular saw to rip a few boards. The raised portion makes the Indian design look flat. I have to say, I prefer the 2015 design...

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@renman95 said:

Okay, seeing them side by side now I see the major difference is the smooth rim on the 2015 and the 2017 has a raised borderless octagon...looks like a blade I could use with my circular saw to rip a few boards. The raised portion makes the Indian design look flat. I have to say, I prefer the 2015 design...

Without the border, the central devices can be scaled larger. Also, the outer edge was difficult to strike up completely on the design that had the blank outer border. These were the reasons for the change. I do tend to like the (borderless) "cob" style.

The relief heights are the same for all three years 2015, 2016, 2017.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just started rereading this thread

Posted yet?

Thermochromatic stamp for eclipse. Heat and image of moon is revealed.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_475304

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Posted yet?

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_475304

Already sold on at my po. I bought 7 or 8 sheets, lol

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm kinda late to the party but I got 2 of these before I had to take a break from here and
    I see I missed out on quite a few other great ones.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Posted yet?

Thanks for posting. I needed some stamps for postage... much more fun with a cool commemorative design & trick thermochromatic (I'm guessing that's a heat-related effect).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Mintage of the 40mm hologram version was discontinued a couple weeks ago.
    I had misplaced about 40 of them from the original mintage. I just found them so they were added to available inventory. They will be available until sold.

You misplaced 40 SE holograms? How does that happen? I'd burst my jugular and aorta.

• Options

those meddling cosplay kids

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 2:21PM

@epcjimi1 said:

@dcarr said:
    Mintage of the 40mm hologram version was discontinued a couple weeks ago.
    I had misplaced about 40 of them from the original mintage. I just found them so they were added to available inventory. They will be available until sold.

You misplaced 40 SE holograms? How does that happen? I'd burst my jugular and aorta.

After minting they were in "clamshell" tubes on my desk. I added them to the mintage total at that time. I was also going to add them to available sales inventory, but I forgot to do that and then they got "buried", only to be rediscovered later.
    This is not unheard of since things are often in flux during (and for a time after) production.

@MsMorrisine said:
    those meddling cosplay kids

Yes, Comic-Con was the source of the distraction.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a discoloration on some of my previous DC items and I know there was a thread or post about it, does anyone remember?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 2:45AM

Merlin/Morgan O/S, what is the date of the Morgan, 1883 or 1888? Thanks for any input.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 9:50AM

@MsMorrisine said:

Posted yet?

Thanks. Did not know these existed. Bought 3 sets only $1.25 shipping so bought online.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    I wonder what is coming next?
    Octagon Owls in Silver and Gold...
    A 2017 ASE over struck by Mr. Carrs 1917 Peace Dollar would be really nice.
    Obverse AND Reverse.

I have 2017 octagon dies engraved, but not heat-treated yet. I may engrave the other 2017 Clark Gruber dies and then harden them all together. I'm also working on some unrelated household projects and getting over a cold/flu.

Other items currently in progress:
    Fantasy-date over-strike Lincoln cents.
    21 August 2017 USA Total Solar Eclipse medal.
    Various items for Denver Comic-Con June 2017.

I expect that the Denver ANA show in early August will be the last offering of several current products and the debut of some new things. I may also go through my "archives" and pull out some duplicates for that show (I will have a table there).

Dan if you do bring some coins from your archives will you sell them at issue price are the price they bring now ? buying one might pay for trip !

• Options
    edited July 23, 2017 10:32AM

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    Obverse AND Reverse.

I have 2017 octagon dies engraved, but not heat-treated yet. I may engrave the other 2017 Clark Gruber dies and then harden them all together. I'm also working on some unrelated household projects and getting over a cold/flu.

I expect that the Denver ANA show in early August will be the last offering of several current products and the debut of some new things. I may also go through my "archives" and pull out some duplicates for that show (I will have a table there).

Dan if you do bring some coins from your archives will you sell them at issue price are the price they bring now ? buying one might pay for trip !

ack for people who can't make it with a want list! (like me)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2017 11:08AM

I picked this one up . I gotta say I like these Clark & Gruber pieces.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2017 11:18AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    Obverse AND Reverse.

If you want to PM me your want list I'll see what I can do for you.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor Indian...like the owl.

• Options

Now I am going to cry since I will not be at the ANA in Denver ! Hey Daniel, how about making a trip to the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) show in Tampa, Jan 2018. It will be warmer than Colorado and we would be very happy to see you !

Dan Fan
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure would like to go, never been to Colorado. If we weren't so busy at work I'd be there. Hey Benny, I need to borrow your crying towel..... :'(

• Options

@dcarr said:

@1940coupe said:

Anything that I offer from my personal collection ("archives") will be priced somewhat less than what I think a similar item would sell for currently in a public market such as eBay. So the final prices will be based on the issue price, gold/silver content, and current market price.

But I also recently bought back a number of pieces that I sold to an acquaintance several years ago. He made a decent profit on most of them. I will offer those as well, possibly at a little greater discount. Those items include some silver Hard Times tokens and 1/10th oz gold. Among those are several "Globalization Pandas".

I may also have a few items that were never previously offered.

Pandas? Sweet! That's on my top 3 current want list alongside the Oregon Trail Commem & DP 2 "thick DC" Silver Eagle.. (The gold Confederate overstrike too but those never come up for sale anyway so it doesn't count)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2017 10:20AM

I sold the last Panda I offered on eBay for $380 and that was to a dealer ( Jackpot G&S) and he told me I was too cheap as he had it resold already . He offered me over $400 each for my last two , but they are part of my wife and kids collection, so there was no way . They rarely come available as the last time I saw one offered was at $375 and I think he lowered it to that price as there were no bites ,probably because he was from outside the US and buyers get nervous . That piece was totally legit .

Good luck on the Confederate gold piece ( that's a killer piece) as I'm not sure I've even seen one offered in the past 4-5 years . The Brass version comes up now and then, but those went fast and even on the secondary market they were gobbled up quicklyat 2-3 times the original price.

I recommend the Oregon Trail as it does come up now and then and seems to be a really solid overstrike piece that is loved by all that have one

Enjoy the show .. wish I could see the offerings . Should be fun :)

Next year the money show is in Philly, so gotta try and talk Dan into that trip , so that he can display his creations :smiley: .

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Poor Indian...like the owl.

I've had more than a couple of people say the same thing. I too don't like the Indian so much but couldn't put my finger on the reason until a friend of mine said he didn't like the full face of the Indian and would rather it be a profile. I've gotta say he nailed it as that's exactly what it is. The owl is super cool and dwarfs the owls on the other pieces. But the full face of the Indian is odd.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Merlin never looked so good !

If anyone is at the ANA in Denver, stop by Daniel's Moonlight Mint / Clark Gruber Table and let us know what you see.

It looks like he created a new Merlin 1oz silver bar....

Dan Fan
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    Obverse AND Reverse.

If you want to PM me your want list I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks for the offer.

reality set in and I'm reminded I really have $0.00 to spend.

Thanks again. It was very kind.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 10:23AM

Looks like a Merlin??? What's up with the sorcerer, Merlin stuff? Make what you want, I'll purchase what I want.

[2017] Moonlight Refinery [Clark Gruber] Silver Bars

MR_01_2017_S 1

38x17x4mm, 999+ Silver, 109, $65, 1) 1.0 troy oz., struck in collar on machine-made blanks.
    Obverse with Merlin The Magician and “Moonlight Refinery” reverse.

It's in the page below, page down a couple screens.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    Looks like a Merlin??? What's up with the sorcerer, Merlin stuff? Make what you want, I'll purchase what I want.

[2017] Moonlight Refinery [Clark Gruber] Silver Bars

MR_01_2017_S 1

38x17x4mm, 999+ Silver, 109, $65, 1) 1.0 troy oz., struck in collar on machine-made blanks.
    Obverse with Merlin The Magician and “Moonlight Refinery” reverse.

It's in the page below, page down a couple screens.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

I see it on that page but can't find the order page with it so it can be added to my cart.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file