Home Sports Talk

Is Kaepernick a jerk?

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNP777 said:
    Jon, they already do have that right. Do they have the fortitude to exercise it? I guess we will see. As has been noted, the league is approximately 70% black. Obviously not all of those players engaged in kneeling, but should the league or ownership end up mandating that players "must stand proudly, hand over heart" during the Anthem, I think there will be massive pushback by the athletes.

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with any other employer, with the exception of the Armed Forces, that has a specific time to honor the Flag and playing of the Anthem. Attempts to parallel professional sports with real everyday jobs fall short in that regard.

Also, you noted "not on my time during the game". I'm sure you meant "before the game", as the Flag and Anthem are pregame activities. Your point remains, though - I've done my best to answer.

Even though we are on different sides of this I do appreciate your candor your willingness to discuss. I consider the pregame and game as "all" belonging to the owner. I don't usually agree with much the owner of my team (Jerry Jones) says or does, but I do like the stand he took on this matter. I hope he sticks to it. I guess we will see Sunday.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly my point that I’ve made about 100 times in this thread. Let these guys protest on their own time and not on national TV! > @stevek said:

@TNP777 said:
    Steve, it is the opinion of many that those who see the actions and words of the kneelers as blatant and willful disrespect of the Flag and Anthem of likewise being woefully and willfully ignorant. However, I don’t believe that those people are liars. I accept the beliefs that you and Paul and others are strongly felt, but I don’t agree that the kneelers are un-American or unpatriotic as some of you suggest or believe.

Again, the pig socks are offensive and hurt the message. Period. I agree that the shirt with Castro was offensive and hurt the message. That doesn’t change the message, though. We disagree on the validity of the message, and I accept that, too.

Have a good day, gentlemen.

The ironic thing is that under Castro, the man he adores, if Kaepernick would have done what he did there, we all know that Colin the kneeler wouldn't be feeling too well the next day.

Geordie I'll speak for myself, but i think i speak for almost everyone with my point of view, Kaepernick has every right to his protest. However at his place of work is not the proper venue to do it, and he could get legally fired for doing so.

This is exactly what I’ve stated about 100 times in this thread. Let these guys protest on their OWN TIME! Not on national TV, 99% of these so called “Civil Rights” “activist/Players” go about their daily routine after these games and don’t do s thing about it on their own time

@TNP777 said:
    Jon, they already do have that right. Do they have the fortitude to exercise it? I guess we will see. As has been noted, the league is approximately 70% black. Obviously not all of those players engaged in kneeling, but should the league or ownership end up mandating that players "must stand proudly, hand over heart" during the Anthem, I think there will be massive pushback by the athletes.

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with any other employer, with the exception of the Armed Forces, that has a specific time to honor the Flag and playing of the Anthem. Attempts to parallel professional sports with real everyday jobs fall short in that regard.

Also, you noted "not on my time during the game". I'm sure you meant "before the game", as the Flag and Anthem are pregame activities. Your point remains, though - I've done my best to answer.

You would be hard pressed to find any other employer that would allow protesting while on the clock. Also if 70% of these Black players were given an ultimatum to stand or get cut and not paid then I would venture to guess that the majority of this 70% would stand. I know I’ve stated this numerous times before but it hits the nail on the head so I have to keep repeating it. Here are some FACTS- The guy says he will stand if he gets another NFL contract, the guy wants to talk about change yet he didn’t Vote, the guy wears offensive clothing and disrespected the entire Law Enforcement industry, he opted out of his contract, he turned down an offer from another team, ( the Broncos ) when he is not that good anymore and now he is crying that he can’t land a NFL job? It’s disgusting how many blind followers this guy has.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NBA has a black player percentage of around 75%.

They have a kneeling percentage of 0% - that's right, zero percent.

Why? Because the NBA commissioner isn't feckless.

LeBron James has made statements, not as radical, but sometimes similar to Kaepernick's statements. No problem - LeBron does it outside the sports arena.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

so if the nfl allows it then as the employer thats their right . What is the problem again? You don't like the nfl don't watch , that is your right.

All the he leagues are all losing fans for a variety of reasons. I stopped watching Hockey when they stop allowing fighting . Baseball games are getting to boring with the pace of play so I won't watch whole games in the regular season anymore. I don't like the way they are calling fouls in the NFL and I'm finding the games harder to watch. I think they are trying to increase offense for the fantasy nerds and the money they think that brings in. Not being a nerd I'd rather see real football.

This anthem stuff happens before the game so just don't watch that part. It sounds like you all want the league to change to suit exactly what you want but the league maybe doesn't care about your opinion. The league is looking at dollar signs and trying to decide which way the wind will blow more dollars at it. They have a certain demographic they are interested in and you ancient old geezers aren't it. :D

@bronco2078 ......the NFL already has the rule about the NA.....they just do not enforce it like the NBA does. All they would have to is enforce it. If you don't stand...you don't play.....you don't play....you don't get paid! Your simple rule of money talks would work here too. I doubt if there would be any kneelers then! ;)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

This anthem stuff happens before the game so just don't watch that part. It sounds like you all want the league to change to suit exactly what you want but the league maybe doesn't care about your opinion. The league is looking at dollar signs and trying to decide which way the wind will blow more dollars at it. They have a certain demographic they are interested in and you ancient old geezers aren't it. :D

Agree that the geezer demographic is of little interest. We have already selected out beer brand and will be driving the Sudebaker until the wheels fall off.

No way in hell though is the NFL happy about this conflict. Ultimately the game comes down to fabric. The fabric of the flag and the fabric of team uniform. Fans pay $50 or $100 plus to attend a game and are asked to cheer for one set of colors as the players are pissing on the other.

Reminds me of the Eastern Airlines strike of a couple decades ago. Employees won the strike but lost the golden goose as the airline went belly up.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Studebaker Avanti is one of the great mid century auto designs that looks as great today as it did 55 years ago

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@bronco2078 said:
    so if the nfl allows it then as the employer thats their right . What is the problem again? You don't like the nfl don't watch , that is your right.

All the he leagues are all losing fans for a variety of reasons. I stopped watching Hockey when they stop allowing fighting . Baseball games are getting to boring with the pace of play so I won't watch whole games in the regular season anymore. I don't like the way they are calling fouls in the NFL and I'm finding the games harder to watch. I think they are trying to increase offense for the fantasy nerds and the money they think that brings in. Not being a nerd I'd rather see real football.

There have been some black players who have given the "black power" salute during the game.

@DIMEMAN said:
    @bronco2078 ......the NFL already has the rule about the NA.....they just do not enforce it like the NBA does. All they would have to is enforce it. If you don't stand...you don't play.....you don't play....you don't get paid! Your simple rule of money talks would work here too. I doubt if there would be any kneelers then! ;)

It's been a while since i looked at it, and I don't recall any specific rule about "kneeling" per se...but you're exactly right...rules are already in place to stifle and prevent these type of protest shenanigans.

All Goodell had to do was levy stiff fines on Kaepernick each time he did it, and make the fine larger each time he did it. With the final punishment being suspended from the league. In my opinion, after the first or second fine, that would have put a quick end to it.

@stevek said:
    The NBA has a black player percentage of around 75%.

They have a kneeling percentage of 0% - that's right, zero percent.

Why? Because the NBA commissioner isn't feckless.

LeBron James has made statements, not as radical, but sometimes similar to Kaepernick's statements. No problem - LeBron does it outside the sports arena.

But seriously you need to watch NBA basketball then. They are trying to get you to be a basketball fan and the NFL doesn't want you anymore. You all are like the guys bill bellichek cuts and then a week later hires back for league minimum because he can and they have no bargaining power . You are old , and theres no fire left in the belly ,you won't stop watching . If you are men , real men , then stand up for your position , shut the tv off , don't go to the stadium anymore . Or lay down in the mud and let the league walk all over you :D

After the kneeling it will be something else and you will all just lay down and take that too. Thank you sir may I have another? Jump ? yes sir rodger , how high rodger? :D

That is hilarious Geordie lol

After giving this more thought and weighing in what has happened since the whole thing started. I don't think he is a jerk....
    rather I think he is a two faced lying scum bag! He doesn't care about anybody but himself......K-CRAP! He made that clear when he said he would "stand" IF someone would sign him. What a hypocrite! And I'm sure he got quite a "DEAL" from Nike! If he cares so much for the cause why doesn't he give this money to the cause! Heck ....he will probably even write a book and make more money off this false crusade he is suppose to be on! What a POS he is! I hope he ends up living in a cardboard box in some alley in NYC with nothing but a Castro shirt on his back and PIG socks on his feet. Maybe then he will feel the "pain"! What a JOKE you are K-CRAP!!!!

Cheers Dimeman!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES.

Castro is too.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Despite all of Kaepernick's money, infamous character, and shameful positions...all of which he seems to get off on....

.....he still won't be playing in any NFL games this week. Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

@stevek said:
    Despite all of Kaepernick's money, infamous character, and shameful positions...all of which he seems to get off on....

.....he still won't be playing in any NFL games this week. Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

And I seriously hope that it bothers him lol

whats the deal with castro rage ? Are you all a bunch of escaped cuban boat people ? He had zero impact on the united states , we tried to over throw cuba and failed , are we angry about that?

edited September 6, 2018 1:09PM

@bronco2078 said:
    whats the deal with castro rage ? Are you all a bunch of escaped cuban boat people ? He had zero impact on the united states , we tried to over throw cuba and failed , are we angry about that?

Are you serious? He was a communist dictator and oppressed his whole country for decades and this clown wore a shirt with Castro on it lol

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Are you serious? He was a communist dictator and oppressed his whole country for decades and this clown wore a shirt with Castro on it lol

that was part of the whole reds under the beds thing. We are starting that up again with the phony russia stole the election meme now. Always has to be a boogieman to keep the mopes in line right?

Little tiny country near the US we invade it 19 times for no reason then act like we are under attack :D

Can you say "Cuban Missile Crisis"?

can you say "Bay of Pigs"?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what can be said next?

Can you say "Cuban Cigar Crisis" or "Socks of Pigs"

Or is the plan to just watch and see the severity of the train wreck?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

In your opinion, there are millions of others who flat out agree with me and think you guys are wrong

Wouldn't be the first time that millions of people were wrong.

Bottom line - The police are not the problem. Inner city violence is the problem. Making inner cities into safe communities for all the good citizens there is what should be addressed.

That is not the bottom line. You use a few outliers, e.g. Chicago, and seem to believe it is representative of what inner city life is like. It is not. You also seem to conflate inner cities with African Americans - otherwise why would you say these African American athletes need to focus on inner city violence - when the majority of African Americans don't live in the inner cities.

For all your nonsense about how there are no issues with how minorities are policed what folks like you can't explain is that whites and African Americans abuse drugs at the same rates yet African Americans are 5 times more likely to go to prison for drug possession than whites. African Americans are also 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of drug crimes than whites, primarily because suspects being framed by the police are overwhelmingly African American. African Americans defendants also get longer prison sentences for the same crimes than white defendants. The bottom line is that the police target minority communities and the criminal justice system treats minorities differently than whites.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    In your opinion, there are millions of others who flat out agree with me and think you guys are wrong

Bottom line - The police are not the problem. Inner city violence is the problem. Making inner cities into safe communities for all the good citizens there is what should be addressed.

That is not the bottom line. You use a few outliers, e.g. Chicago, and seem to believe it is representative of what inner city life is like. It is not. You also seem to conflate inner cities with African Americans - otherwise why would you say these African American athletes need to focus on inner city violence - when the majority of African Americans don't live in the inner cities.

For all your nonsense about how there are no issues with how minorities are policed what folks like you can't explain is that whites and African Americans abuse drugs at the same rates yet African Americans are 5 times more likely to go to prison for drug possession than whites. African Americans are also 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of drug crimes than whites, primarily because suspects being framed by the police are overwhelmingly African American. African Americans defendants also get longer prison sentences for the same crimes than white defendants. The bottom line is that the police target minority communities and the criminal justice system treats minorities differently than whites.

Robb

OMG...….talk about fake news! Come on man.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

OMG...….talk about fake news! Come on man.

So now facts are fake news? Inner city crime is down over the last 20 years, that is a fact. A majority of African Americans do not live in inner cities, that is a fact. African Americans are 5 times more likely to go to prison for drug possession than whites, that is a fact. African Americans are 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of drug crimes than whites, that is a fact. law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Documents/Race_and_Wrongful_Convictions.pdf . Of the 15 major incidents of systematic police framing of innocents the majority of those framed were African American, that is a fact. African Americans get longer prison sentences than whites for the same crimes, that is a fact.

The only fake news here is how blind some of you are to the facts.

Robb

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

Lucky for us it was literally right down the street from the prison. Very convenient in between shifts

Jesus perk, I thought there was a DD's right down the street from everyone in Mass.
    They're freakin' all over da place.

Oh they are lol

@Robb “fergie23” Would you agree that 99% of Blacks getting shot by white cops would NOT have been shot had they complied in the first place?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    @Robb “fergie23” Would you agree that 99% of Blacks getting shot by white cops would NOT have been shot had they complied in the first place?

Ill take the under. Way under.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@fergie23 said:

Robb

You can spew whatever imaginary tales you wish. We all see the pictures of who is killing and who is being killed in the inner cities.

Are you now going to say that the media is photo-shopping all those pics? LOL

Case closed.

@perkdog said:

That is fact...except to those who sadly do not wish to know.

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

And you are WAY WRONG Mark, honestly you really are. I’ve seen the real numbers and have had multiple conversations with many cops including Black cops.

FWIW, I was a use of force instructor for the past several years before I retired and the video’s, the charts and all the “Real” info was right there. The Liberal Media is the big problem and the cause of quite a few problems in today’s America with all the skewed numbers and garbage reporting, it’s a shame adults can’t remember that old saying of “Don’t believe everything you hear”

edited September 6, 2018 5:11PM

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

And you are WAY WRONG Mark, honestly you really are. I’ve seen the real numbers and have had multiple conversations with many cops including Black cops.

Well this just your opinion as there is no data to back either of us up. I respectfully think you are wrong. I do think most cops are great. I think there are way more cops are racists then 1%. Way more. I think there are way more racists in America then 1% of the population. Way more.

In LA for example just looking the wrong way could get you shot if you’re a minority. That comes before compliance. Heck I’m terrified of white police officers in LA. And LA ain’t alone.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited September 6, 2018 5:16PM

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

Well this just your opinion as there is no data to back either of us up. I respectfully think you are wrong. I do think most cops are great. I think there are way more cops are racists then 1%. Way more. I think there are way more racists in America then 1% of the population. Way more.

In LA for example just looking the wrong way could get you shot if you’re a minority. That comes before compliance. Heck I’m terrified of white police officers in LA. And LA ain’t alone.

m

LA is a combat zone period end of discussion. Put yourself in these police officers shoes and you would know exactly why they are on alert, talk to a Black cop that isn’t feeling the same way his brother white cop is feeling! Oh and LA is the worst example you could come up with, the amount of Gangs and Gang wars are absolutely insane and they are 99% made up of minority’s lol

I think You, fergie23 and Geordie should take a walk on the wild side and you will get to understand a lot more than you think you know.

edited September 6, 2018 5:50PM

I was born in Detroit and lived in the city as an adult as well. I know the wild side looks like. I fought my way out of plenty of scrapes.

BTW Boston has more racial hate crimes per capita then any major US city. That spills over

mark

edited September 6, 2018 5:56PM

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

m

LA is a combat zone period end of discussion. Put yourself in these police officers shoes and you would know exactly why they are on alert, talk to a Black cop that isn’t feeling the same way his brother white cop is feeling! Oh and LA is the worst example you could come up with, the amount of Gangs and Gang wars are absolutely insane and they are 99% made up of minority’s lol

You obv> @perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

m

I live in Los Angeles County. I’ve never seen a gang member. While gangs obviously exist I guess I’m fortunate that they battle it out in a smaller geographical area. LA is a large area as in 500 sq miles. Most of LA is gang free I assure you. Happy to clear that up for you

Time for some football. I’m done.

m

@Justacommeman said:

BTW Boston has more racial hate crimes per capita then any major US city. That spills over

mark

I think if you put a stop to the St. Patty's day parade that would change. Even then sexually assaulting a potato is not exactly a hate crime, more like a crime of passion

@bronco2078 said:

The cigars damn it...we lost the cigars.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

The cigars damn it...we lost the cigars.

Seems like Billy boy could still get his hands on those.

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

m

In a forum of hyperbole, your statement about being afraid of the cops in your town is stunning. Get the hell out. Really.

edited September 6, 2018 6:13PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I was born in Detroit and lived in the city as an adult as well. I know the wild side looks like. I fought my way out of it.

mark

Glad you found your way out Mark, really that is a good thing. Boston definitely has tons of killings and it’s mostly Black on Black, I read about it all the time. Dorchester, Jamaica Plane, Roxberry, Mattapan, Chelsea, Hyde Park, > @Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

m

You obv> @perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

m

I live in Los Angeles County. I’ve never seen a gang member. While gangs exist I guess I’m fortunate that they battle it out in a smaller geographical area. LA is a large area as in 500 sq miles. Most of LA is gang free I assure you. Happy to clear that up for you

Time for some football. I’m done.

m

And the smaller geographical areas are exactly what Me and others are talking about, I am sure your in your sunshine and rainbow area everything is fine lol, unfortunately the police have to cover ALL areas. Glad I could clear that up for you. Enjoy the game

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does a bear go to the bathroom in the woods? I just saw his Nike ad. It made me sick. :|

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Does a bear go to the bathroom in the woods? I just saw his Nike ad. It made me sick. :|

Makes you wanna PUKE!

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

Makes you wanna PUKE!

Cost of watching the game I suppose. You fellas will get the message eventually.

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

Makes you wanna PUKE!

Cost of watching the game I suppose. You fellas will get the message eventually.

I sure would like to see Nike go under...….it would make me giggle. :)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you have to pay to watch one way or the other. I just hope Nike goes bankrupt for pulling this stunt.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
This discussion has been closed.