Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course last year matters. How do you think early season rankings are considered? Its based on what the team did last year and the talent they have returning.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only in the AP & coaches polls. Not the committee's rankings. If they did your Buckeyes would be number one and not three and certainly not behind a one loss team. The committees rankings come out later in the season in week 9 for a reason. To eliminate preseason prejudice and rightfully so. The AP & coaches polls are rendered useless at this point in the season.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Not that is matters much anymore but the AP has the following top ten

Clemson

OSU

Alabama

OSU

Notre Dame

Iowa

Oklahoma

Florida

MSU

Baylor

mark

And the coaches had it exactly the same way

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The AP & coaches polls are rendered useless at this point in the season.

mark

Wrong. The AP is not affiliated with the committee, which means it is possible to have a split national championship.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clarifying my point as to OSU being the defending champion, I see the Big Ten team that beats them, should that happen, as compelling justification for getting into the playoffs- And that extends to a 2 loss UM team. I also see a similar logic (although not quite as compelling) to NC making the playoffs should they win out and beat Clemson.

As I have already stated- OSU is defending National champs and currently own the nations longest winning streak. It has to mean something to someone should another Big Team team beat them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the last year relevance.

should Ohio State go undefeated this season, no matter how unimpressive they might seem and how strong the other Teams appear, it would defy logic to not allow THE REIGNING NATIONAL CHAMPION an opportunity to defend their title. that's sort of how it played out last year so there's precedent. a loss certainly changes that.

one point that gets overlooked whenever the Big 10 gets compared to "The Little Sisters of The Poor" is that the defenses of many Teams in the Conference are quite good, most lack the Offense to keep up with the better Teams. last year reflected that when they held their own in head-to-head matches with the SEC.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinkat
    Clarifying my point as to OSU being the defending champion, I see the Big Ten team that beats them, should that happen, as compelling justification for getting into the playoffs- And that extends to a 2 loss UM team. I also see a similar logic (although not quite as compelling) to NC making the playoffs should they win out and beat Clemson.

As I have already stated- OSU is defending National champs and currently own the nations longest winning streak. It has to mean something to someone should another Big Team team beat them.

Ok. I don't agree but I can see your point. There should be some (although I think very small) bonus for such a win. I get it. If Ohio State wins the next two weeks and then loses to Iowa in the Big 10 championship game Iowa should get a bump for such a win. Ok. However, what if Iowa has one loss (totally possible) and beats OSU? What if (unlikely as it is) a two loss Iowa team beats an undefeated and defending national champion Ohio State? I hear ya that it can be a factor but I think last year should be an extremely small factor in my opinion. I personally see nothing compelling about a two loss team. I would rather have an undefeated Houston or someone like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

mark

Wrong. The AP is not affiliated with the committee, which means it is possible to have a split national championship.

Pffttt

Like I said with the committee they are now rendered meaningless. There is a playoff, there will be one recognized winner.

mark
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

mark

They will NEVER do this.

In fact, if it ever was going to happen it would have last year. The #5 team (TCU) has a dominant overwhelming bowl win and the #4 team ends up winning the playoff.

The years of split champions are a thing of the past.
  • Options
    I fully expect Alabama to be #1 in the next release.

However, wasn't this another damning weekend for the SEC?. LSU gets smoked by Arkansas. Arkansas now has wins over LSU, Mississippi and Tennessee. They also have losses to Toledo and Texas Tech.

I'm looking forward to those 2nd-tier New Years day bowls.

LSU, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M

v.

Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa (or Ohio State), Penn State

I like the Big Ten's chances in any of those games, no matter how you match them up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PM770

However, wasn't this another damning weekend for the SEC?. LSU gets smoked by Arkansas. Arkansas now has wins over LSU, Mississippi and Tennessee. They also have losses to Toledo and Texas Tech.

v.

Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa (or Ohio State), Penn State

I like the Big Ten's chances in any of those games, no matter how you match them up.

You make a good point. Clearly the SEC is not quite what it's been in recent years and the Big 10 is better than they have been. That's even with Nebraska down this year. It appears the Pac 12 is down and/or killing off each other each week so maybe better than their two loss teams indicate!? Not sure what to make of the Big 12 but I suspect they aren't great... except Oklahoma is getting a lot of love from the media at least. Bottom line there are a number of teams that could win a two game playoff right now.

• Options
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

v.

You make a good point. Clearly the SEC is not quite what it's been in recent years and the Big 10 is better than they have been. That's even with Nebraska down this year. It appears the Pac 12 is down and/or killing off each other each week so maybe better than their two loss teams indicate!? Not sure what to make of the Big 12 but I suspect they aren't great... except Oklahoma is getting a lot of love from the media at least. Bottom line there are a number of teams that could win a two game playoff right now.

I agree. I'm not sure there are any great teams out there, but a lot of very good ones. I think the Big 12 is very strong as well. Only a few more weeks.

• Options
    I'm not sure there are any great teams out there, but a lot of very good ones.

This is an example of how ridiculous the critique of a Team, a program and a Conference can get. to read everything here a Team with two losses really sucks, a Team with one loss is marginal, a Team that goes undefeated probably did so because of a weak schedule in a weak Conference and the only truly great Team in any season is the one that smokes everyone by 30-40 points each week.

That sets the bar for everyone very, very high.
  • Options

mark

They will NEVER do this.

In fact, if it ever was going to happen it would have last year. The #5 team (TCU) has a dominant overwhelming bowl win and the #4 team ends up winning the playoff.

Disagree it could happen. TCU? Who did they beat last year? They didn't even win their own conference image

• Options
    Greatness today includes style points which I find problematic.

Excitement is different and perhaps the most underrated factor in terms of why we should watch. While everyone has been critical of Indiana and Nebraska, one can only praise the what they brought to the field in terms of unpredictability. That matters and perhaps Nebraska and Indiana can jointly share the title of being the two most exciting teams to watch in the Big Ten.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Roll Tide
  • Options

v.

I'm not sure that anybody wants to play Arkansas right now. Yes they started very slow.

MAC schools have been known to beat Big Ten teams as well. Let us not forget that Ohio State escaped with their life against Northern Illinois at home this year. Toledo is pretty good and spent quite a few weeks in the top 25 this season. Not too shabby

mark

• Options
    I'm not sure that anybody wants to play Arkansas right now. Yes they started very slow.

MAC schools have been known to beat Big Ten teams as well. Let us not forget that Ohio State escaped with their life against Northern Illinois at home this year. Toledo is pretty good and spent quite a few weeks in the top 25 this season. Not too shabby

I think this demonstrates why my 16 Team playoff would be good for College Football, it would give exposure to second tier FSB Teams that play in the "What's The Point Bowl" on a Tuesday afternoon in early December. That would help the programs, help recruiting to those schools and increase the competitive nature of what is already good. I, for one, am a proponent of the NCAA growing some balls and restructuring how things are, getting away from a scheme that currently favors only about 20-30 Teams and leaves the other 100 out in the cold.
  • Options

mark

They will NEVER do this.

Disagree it could happen. TCU? Who did they beat last year? They didn't even win their own conference image

I think you answer why it will never happen. The team that gets left out, even with a dominant bowl win, will be viewed through the "who did they beat" lens.
  • Options
    will be viewed through the "who did they beat" lens.

any Team that beats everyone they play should at least be considered for the playoff.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    This weeks rankings are outimage
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Roll Tide....Sweet 16
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

My Top Eight and I think the committee will agree ; )

Clemson

Alabama

OSU

Notre Dame

Iowa

OSU

Oklahoma

Florida

Not sure how they will treat 9 and 10. Probably MSU at 9. Michigan or Baylor might be 10.

With Alabama's dominate win at Starksville I don't see any reason why Ohio State would jump them. While OSU is 10-0 they have the 101st ranked RPI strength of schedule ( Sagarin 67th) and no signature wins. Their best win is against Penn State at home. It will improve the next two weeks. Beat somebody first before and then maybe they can get out of the third spot.

Maybe just maybe Alabama jumps Clemson this week.

I can't see Iowa jumping ND either with a 40-35 home win against a very average Minnesota team.

Mark

Here's the new committee poll and I do believe I nailed each and every spot image

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Iowa

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Florida

Michigan State

Baylor

mark

• Options
    Originally posted by: thenavarro
    This weeks rankings are outimage

I see you stole Mark Mays bracket lol

• Options
    Article on ESPN with different scenarios where the different conferences could be left out. Fun stuff!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14156076/doomsday-scenarios-how-power-5-conference-get-left-playoff

• Options
    Jeff Long who happens to be a SEC ad, was so disappointed Bama is not #1. Pathetic this committee is sec bias. Its so obvious.

We're still living with the residue of the Old BCS system. Under the BCS system, we were told before the season ever started every single year that the SEC Champ automatically got one spot, while the other 115 teams fought it out for the other spot. That gave the conference a 50% chance of winning the Championship before a down was ever played.

• Options
    Jeff Long who happens to be a SEC ad, was so disappointed Bama is not #1. Pathetic this committee is sec bias. Its so obvious.

We're still living with the residue of the Old BCS system. Under the BCS system, we were told before the season ever started every single year that the SEC Champ automatically got one spot, while the other 115 teams fought it out for the other spot. That gave the conference a 50% chance of winning the Championship before a down was ever played.

Would be interesting to watch the committee's sessions and to listen to the debate and vote. That would be much more riveting TV for me than listening to ESPN's talking heads.

• Options
    Originally posted by: thenavarro

Would be interesting to watch the committee's sessions and to listen to the debate and vote. That would be much more riveting TV for me than listening to ESPN's talking heads.

No doubt I would love to be a fly on the wall.

• Options
    it's interesting that an early season loss by Alabama was overlooked so easily compared with last year's one loss Buckeyes Team which dominated the playoff. Ohio State was fighting to get into the top 10 at this time last year, was scorned when they made it as #4 for not being worthy.

things have a way of working out despite a very flawed system.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets
    it's interesting that an early season loss by Alabama was overlooked so easily compared with last year's one loss Buckeyes Team which dominated the playoff. Ohio State was fighting to get into the top 10 at this time last year, was scorned when they made it as #4 for not being worthy.

I think the difference is the team that beat Alabama was top 10, if not top 5, at the time of the game. Whereas the team Ohio State lost to, V-Tech if I remember correctly, was unranked. As it has turned out Ole Miss is not great this year as they have 3 losses. However, since they were highly ranked at the time of the game people have given Alabama a pass. Plus, it was perceived through much of the year, last year, that the Big 10 was horrible and thus the competition Ohio State played was seen as below that of the SEC competition. Right or wrong. As the season wore on that sentiment went away (obviously in the end since the Big 10 won the championship) but I think the perceptions (SEC-good and Big 10-bad) factor in a lot. I can't say I have watched every team play enough to know who is the best team but I think Alabama will win the national championship so then it will be a moot point.
  • Options

I think the difference is the team that beat Alabama was top 10, if not top 5, at the time of the game. Whereas the team Ohio State lost to, V-Tech if I remember correctly, was unranked. As it has turned out Ole Miss is not great this year as they have 3 losses. However, since they were highly ranked at the time of the game people have given Alabama a pass. Plus, it was perceived through much of the year, last year, that the Big 10 was horrible and thus the competition Ohio State played was seen as below that of the SEC competition. Right or wrong. As the season wore on that sentiment went away (obviously in the end since the Big 10 won the championship) but I think the perceptions (SEC-good and Big 10-bad) factor in a lot. I can't say I have watched every team play enough to know who is the best team but I think Alabama will win the national championship so then it will be a moot point.

Ohio State had the early loss last year and no meaningful wins until the MSU game late in the year and then the Big Ten Champsionship and that's exactly when they made their move in the poll

Alabama had the early season loss but has had several good wins during the course of this season. The committee has said they value quality wins.

If anything the committee has been very consistent

mark

• Options
    I understand the points you guys make but considering the "bump" Alabama gets for beating three-loss 'Ole Miss and what will probably be 3-4 loss LSU I think that whole line of thinking needs to be forgotten. also, regarding the opposite effect that OSU suffered, that sort of worked out in the other direction when the Big 10 did OK(I think at least as good as the SEC) in Bowls.

I have said earlier, it's all about the peak. Ohio State has yet to really play to their believed potential and may indeed lose during the next three weeks. Alabama has played very well since their open date, but I'd watch out for Auburn. Both Teams have potential losses ahead of them, it's just too hard to play at a high level and the cost for a loss is deadly.

Let's hope both win out and can face each other in the Championship instead of an elimination game.
  • Options

Let's hope both win out and can face each other in the Championship instead of an elimination game.

No doubt. Would be good fun for sure!
  • Options
    I suppose one could argue that OSU has yet to peak...

• Options
    The committee has been consistent with ranking sec teams too high.

• Options
    What is a "tin horn"? Saban knows...
    Tin horn
  • Options
    maybe the players were slacking at practice and he was all worked up about it, but the game should be a cakewalk.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    this sat vs msu will be a good test for osu...def must watch tv
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: seebelow

this sat vs msu will be a good test for osu...def must watch tv

I hope so. OSU is a 14 point favorite. If Cook isn't 100% and I think the line suggests he's not then MSU's goose is cooked. MSU has struggled mightily and virtually against everybody this year. Maybe they will save their best for last

mark

• Options
    wow...i haven't looked....i actually think id take the points....msu -14?..hmmm...time to call my "buddy"

makes sense about cook tho
  • Options
    Sic'em Bears and Rah, Rah, TCU this weekend. Don't necessarily like either one of them too much, although Baylor offered my boy a half scholarship last week (academics not football, he'll have a chance for the other half via a music department audition in a coiple months), but I've got to root for them as a means to an end. I do expect Baylor and it's backup QB to beat OK St. Tomorrow night but I doubt a decimated TCU squad can take Boomer but I've seen the Sooners fall flat on many an occasion so there is always hope.
  • Options
    Wow did Florida ever escape. Needed them to lose

mark
  • Options
    BTW I've watched a lot of Big Ten football this year. The officating is not good. They need to clean that up. Hard to watch at times

mark
  • Options
    what did i say about osu? ugh...tend to play at the level of their opponent.....7-7 at halftime....killing me...shudda put the house on it...then i could get a 52 mick psa 3

agree about officials..seems to be at all levels lately incl NFL,,,maybe goodel could pitch in or do something or not part of his $44 million per yr salary? anyways
  • Options
    MSU showed a lot of heart today. Great game. Needed OSU to win today but it is what it is.

mark

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    As an MSU grad and huge fan, I could not be happier. In fact, I'm on cloud 9. But I do not understand what OSU was doing today. They played tentative and "not to lose", not like a 13 point favorite. It was telling that they did not call a time out with about 1:40 to go in the first half and MSU facing a punt. Likewise, I will never understand why teams don't use timeouts near the end of the game when it is clear a team is going to have a field goal attempt to win the game.

Finally, Uncle Urban must have had a lot of $$ on the under today. Not sure why else he didn't throw on every down. And does Ezekiel Elliott still play for OSU?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: detroitfan2
    As an MSU grad and huge fan, I could not be happier. In fact, I'm on cloud 9. But I do not understand what OSU was doing today. They played tentative and "not to lose", not like a 13 point favorite. It was telling that they did not call a time out with about 1:40 to go in the first half and MSU facing a punt. Likewise, I will never understand why teams don't use timeouts near the end of the game when it is clear a team is going to have a field goal attempt to win the game.

Finally, Uncle Urban must have had a lot of $$ on the under today. Not sure why else he didn't throw on every down. And does Ezekiel Elliott still play for OSU?

I didn't watch the game but listened a little in the car. Sounded like OSU played poorly. Elliott was moving up the Heisman watch... before today. You just can't lose when you are a two touchdown favorite. It could get really interesting depending on so many things. Does the Big Ten championship game winner automatically get in to the playoffs? Is OSU out after an ugly loss? Fun stuff.
  • Options

Originally posted by: detroitfan2

I didn't watch the game but listened a little in the car. Sounded like OSU played poorly. Elliott was moving up the Heisman watch... before today. You just can't lose when you are a two touchdown favorite. It could get really interesting depending on so many things. Does the Big Ten championship game winner automatically get in to the playoffs? Is OSU out after an ugly loss? Fun stuff.

If Iowa or MSU run the table they will be in. OSU would have to win at Michigan and PSU to beat MSU and then beat Iowa and get some additional help.

MSU has wins against Oregon ( looking better now), Michigan regardless of how they won and OSU on the road. A win against Iowa rounds out a nice resume.

OSU does not own a real quality win. They can't afford not to play and win in the Big Ten Championship Game. A win against Michigan would be their entire resume. To date a win against Penn St at home is their best win. Penn St is slightly above average. Saying that Michigan and OSU need PSU to pull out a win next week at Spartieville.

I still like Nebraska against Iowa next week. If that happens that could hurt all big ten teams chances.

mark

• Options

If Iowa or MSU run the table they will be in. OSU would have to win at Michigan and PSU to beat MSU and then beat Iowa and get some additional help.

OSU does not own a real quality win. They can't afford not to play and win in the Big Ten Championship Game.

mark

Let's say MSU wins out. Let's say Clemson, ND, Alabama and OK State also win out. You really think MSU is in? I don't see that. Who you bumping?
  • Options
    RE: Ohio State.

Still a little shocked at the way the game went on the Offensive side of the ball. Some might say that MSU beat the Buckeyes on both sides but considering how disgusting the Offensive play calling was and the number of three and out's the "D" was really put in a bad spot. Much of what has plagued OSU all season has been the loss of Herman as OC and that was never as evident as today when they almost entirely avoided passing. Against a Team with a good defense but a suspect secondary, that is what I had expected they would have attacked. Of the sixteen attempts I think only about 4-5 were downfield and they only ran Elliot THREE times in the second half. What were they thinking???