2015 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    man...the race for top 4 getting much more crowded
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Just for fun what if Iowa wins out do they get a bid? They would only play one good team (the Big Ten championship game). I like them but it seems it would be unfair to all the 1 one loss teams who played 4 or 5 tough games. Again, strictly hypothetical as there is a long way to go.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap my Dawgs stunk it up again. Hearing the calls for Richts' job from folks who normally defend. Not a good sign.

Tennessee looked good.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

Just for fun what if Iowa wins out do they get a bid? They would only play one good team (the Big Ten championship game). I like them but it seems it would be unfair to all the 1 one loss teams who played 4 or 5 tough games. Again, strictly hypothetical as there is a long way to go.

I doubt it. Iowa's remaining schedule gets even softer and one loss teams will be in play. FYI the committees picks come out tomorrow at 7pm. I'm guessing Clemson will be #1.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The committee's first Top 4

1. Clemson

2. LSU

3. Ohio State

4. Alabama

They got it right. The sound you hear is me patting myself on my back: )

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    The committee's first Top 4

1. Clemson
    2. LSU
    3. Ohio State
    4. Alabama

They got it right. The sound you hear is me patting myself on my back: )

mark

Arguments can be made but no glaring "mistake" that I can see. I would love to see TCU or Baylor get a shot but you can only fit 4.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    No way Alabama should be near the top 4. You shouldn't get credit for a loss over the other unbeatens. And they struggled against bad teams 2 out of the last 3 weeks.

Iowa has several good wins, Northwestern, Pitt, and Wisconsin. If they win out they will be in the top 4 because they will have to win the Big ten championship game over probably either mich state or ohio state.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

No way Alabama should be near the top 4. You shouldn't get credit for a loss over the other unbeatens. And they struggled against bad teams 2 out of the last 3 weeks.

Iowa has several good wins, Northwestern, Pitt, and Wisconsin. If they win out they will be in the top 4 because they will have to win the Big ten championship game over probably either mich state or ohio state.

Not if Alabama or LSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, Baylor or TCU runs the table. Iowa just don't have the remaining strength of schedule. It's actually pitiful what they have left. They only have the 47th rated schedule as of now. They will slip badly each and every of the next four weeks. Each of those teams are ahead of them and have tough or tougher games ahead. Lots will and can change before then. Oklahoma would also pass an undefeated Iowa as they have TCU and Baylor left. At least the committee is paying attention to strength of schedule. Alabama could do move 2 with a win over LSU this week. Clemson has FSU this week.

mark
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    its fair enough for now...alabama will still have to earn their spot...esp this week....overall, its a decent 4.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Michigan State has a win over a higher ranked team than Alabama. Spartans still not getting any respect.

• Options
    ESPN article with some interesting possibilities. It seems to me the Pac-12 champ is the most likely to be out at this point. I don't think Stanford is great. The Stanford v. ND game could have major implications.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14046459/doomsday-scenarios-how-power-5-conference-get-left-playoff

• Options

Michigan State has a win over a higher ranked team than Alabama. Spartans still not getting any respect.

Alabama has played the 9th hardest schedule to date

Michigan State has played the 59th hardest schedule to date.

Not hard to figure out why Alabama is getting respect and MSU isn't

mark
  • Options

Michigan State has played the 59th hardest schedule to date.

Not hard to figure out why Alabama is getting respect and MSU isn't

mark

SOS really doesn't mean much until all the games have been played. The reason why is because Alabama has overranked SEC teams on their schedule.

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    It seems to me that Alabama is still getting too much credit for the Georgia win. That was considered real impressive at the time, but Georgia has been exposed and the shine should be off of that win. Tennessee is a 4-4 team and Texas A&M is a good win, but much better than Northwestern? I think Wisconsin might be Alabama's best win to date. Iowa has that win too. Alabama has exactly 1 win in the CFP Top 25. Same as Iowa.

If Alabama really is supposed to be that good, then Memphis has the best win on the board.

I also think the committee is trolling the Big 12. That's the only explanation that makes sense.
  • Options
    I think what's hurting Iowa is the eye test in the manner they beat Wisconsin and Pittsburgh ( a QB trip and a 56 yard FG at home) as well as their weak schedule rest of the way. Several one loss teams could pass Iowa besides Oklahoma. Florida for sure if they run the table. LSU vs Alabama and FSU vs Clemson this week should rattle some cages this week. Those are big boy games. OSU, MSU and Iowa all have games this weeks that will hurt their SOS. Please don't tell me that Minnesota, Indiana or Nebraska would be quality wins.

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PM770

It seems to me that Alabama is still getting too much credit for the Georgia win. That was considered real impressive at the time, but Georgia has been exposed and the shine should be off of that win. Tennessee is a 4-4 team and Texas A&M is a good win, but much better than Northwestern? I think Wisconsin might be Alabama's best win to date. Iowa has that win too. Alabama has exactly 1 win in the CFP Top 25. Same as Iowa.

If Alabama really is supposed to be that good, then Memphis has the best win on the board.

I also think the committee is trolling the Big 12. That's the only explanation that makes sense.

Alabama is 4-1 against the Top 30

Iowa has one won against the Top 30

Source Jeff Sagarin. He has more cache then us.

Big 12 has Baylor, TCU, OSU and Oklahoma basically playing each other the rest of the way. If someone emerges through that unscathed they will make it into the the final four discussion

mark

• Options
    I think Iowa probably has 3 wins against top 30 teams. Pitt was just ranked last week, so they couldn't be that far removed from the top 30. Wisconsin is a top 30 team no doubt. If you just want to look at SOS, Iowa should be ahead of both Baylor and TCU. Alabama's offense has struggled in 2 out of their last 3 games.

• Options

I think Iowa probably has 3 wins against top 30 teams. Pitt was just ranked last week, so they couldn't be that far removed from the top 30. Wisconsin is a top 30 team no doubt. If you just want to look at SOS, Iowa should be ahead of both Baylor and TCU. Alabama's offense has struggled in 2 out of their last 3 games.

Who cares that Alabama's offense the past two of three weeks? It has no merit what so ever. But since you opened Pandora's Box let me run with it.

You say Alabama's offense has struggled the past three weeks. The past three weeks they gained 396 yards, 396 yards and 364 yards For the heck of it Alabama gained 502 yards against Wisconsin. What did Iowa gain against Wisconsin? What, 226 yards you say?

Iowa is exactly where they should be. That or 10th.

If Alabama beats LSU this week it will be interesting to see if they land in the 2 or 3 spot.

SOS is only one of the points the committee looks at. Who they play, how they play and when they play goes into it as well. While wins are wins they way Iowa beat Wisconsin and Pittsburgh are marginalized.

mark

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a statistic that gets used which has always intrigued me.

I can see where it might have validity in the moment that it's used, but after the next week's play it changes depending on how the Teams played previously win/lose. just using the Alabama example, if Teams lose that Alabama had played then the schedule becomes "less hard" in retrospect. it is an interesting stat but since it's ever changing I don't consider it much.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still not sold on Clemson. No one seems to be talking about their schedule. From what I see, they have played one difficult game all season up to this point, and it was a 2 point victory against Notre Dame. Every other team they have played is trash. Louisville, GT, Miami, BC, NCST. None of them are good this year or have very good records. Of their remaining 4 games, Florida St. is tough. The other 3 should be easy wins against bad teams. Finishing your season against Syracuse, Wake Forest, and a bad South Carolina team is not impressive. Yet everyone keeps talking about how bad Big Ten schools schedule.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some good games this weekend. Looking ahead:

Penn St- Northwestern

Texas Tech- West Virginia

Notre Dame- Pitt

Florida St- Clemson

Arkansas- Ole Miss

TCU- Oklahoma St

Utah- Washington

Auburn- Texas A&M

LSU- Alabama

Cal- Oregon

Arizona- USC
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Source Jeff Sagarin. He has more cache then us.

I know that Sagarin uses a computer based formula.

But he says USC is #7. #7!!! Apparently winning and losing is not a significant factor in the formula.

I hope no one here thinks USC is the #7 team in the country.
  • Options

Who cares that Alabama's offense the past two of three weeks? It has no merit what so ever. But since you opened Pandora's Box let me run with it.

You say Alabama's offense has struggled the past three weeks. The past three weeks they gained 396 yards, 396 yards and 364 yards For the heck of it Alabama gained 502 yards against Wisconsin. What did Iowa gain against Wisconsin? What, 226 yards you say?

If Alabama beats LSU this week it will be interesting to see if they land in the 2 or 3 spot.

SOS is only one of the points the committee looks at. Who they play, how they play and when they play goes into it as well. While wins are wins they way Iowa beat Wisconsin and Pittsburgh are marginalized.

mark

Keep in mind that Alabama also has something else that Iowa doesn't: a home loss.

I'm just saying that Alabama's "resume" is overvalued relative to the other teams that haven't lost. Back to Sagarin, Tennessee is #18 - that's madness.

Mississippi is #12, Memphis #27. I saw that game. Memphis won comfortably. These Sagarin rankings are beyond worthless. I can't look away at them. I everytime I try to close the window I see something more crazy. Oklahoma #5?!? WVU #31? Ugh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

this is a statistic that gets used which has always intrigued me.

I can see where it might have validity in the moment that it's used, but after the next week's play it changes depending on how the Teams played previously win/lose. just using the Alabama example, if Teams lose that Alabama had played then the schedule becomes "less hard" in retrospect. it is an interesting stat but since it's ever changing I don't consider it much.

It's about to go higher.........LSU this week.

Quality wins is the stat I like most. Wins against weak links should not be a positive.

mark
  • Options

mark

You would have a case if Alabama were undefeated. Alabama barely beat a bad Tennessee team. Those close Iowa games were against good teams, with the Wisconsin game on the road.

• Options

mark

You would have a case if Alabama were undefeated. Alabama barely beat a bad Tennessee team. Those close Iowa games were against good teams, with the Wisconsin game on the road.

I'm not making a case. I was just refuting your ridiculous statement. Besides Tennessee is far from a bad team and you brought them into discussion, not me.

Obviously the committee disagrees with you. Then again they are unbiased.

mark

• Options

mark

I'm not making a case. I was just refuting your ridiculous statement. Besides Tennessee is far from a bad team and you brought them into discussion, not me.

mark

I think you are getting more ridiculous by the day. Tennessee is not a good team. And yes the committee has proven they are very SEC bias. 2 SEC teams in the top 4. Last year at this time they had 3 SEC teams in the top 4.

• Options
    Quality wins is the stat I like most. Wins against weak links should not be a positive.

from that perspective should we devalue what Clemson did last week or what Baylor did last night. if you are really honest you'd view games like those like weak Big 1o0 games, right??
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

from that perspective should we devalue what Clemson did last week or what Baylor did last night. if you are really honest you'd view games like those like weak Big 1o0 games, right??

Last nights Baylor game where they won on the road by a touchdown kind of reminded me of Ohio States one touchdown win AT Indiana. Or Ohio States one touchdown win at home vs Northern Illinois. Yes, it cuts both ways.

mark
  • Options

mark

mark

I think you are getting more ridiculous by the day. Tennessee is not a good team. And yes the committee has proven they are very SEC bias. 2 SEC teams in the top 4. Last year at this time they had 3 SEC teams in the top 4.

Let's see. Tennessee is 4-4. They lost in double OT to Oklahoma. They lost by one point to Florida AT Florida. They played Alabama tough at Alabama. At least they are the playing very very good teams and holding there own. 4-4 is far from horrible. They have played the third hardest schedule in the country. No one in the Big Ten has played a schedule remotely like this to date. So for you to refer to Tennessee as horrible and not very good is plain insanity at best and misinformed on your part at best. Ive grown accused to your biased rantings so no big deal.

I've remind you that this very committee voted your Buckeyes into the Final Four last year even though they had a home loss to a very mediocre team. So let me guess, they were right last year and they are wrong now because it doesn't fit your biased script?

Lot's of football to be played yet...........This weekend will solve part of the puzzle. ND at Pittsburgh is big for a lot of reasons. The outcome for Iowa is huge since they played Pittsburgh at home. LSU vs Alabama is almost an elimination game as is Clemson vs FSU. Let the game begin.

mark

• Options
    BTW I have attended 200+ Big Ten games. I'm a alumni from a Big Ten school. I have seen games on every campus. I've always rooted for the Big Ten vs the others. I have been in several locker rooms (pre and post games including OSU). A very close relative was an All American at Ohio State (football) and made the cover of Sports Illustrated. I'm a Big Ten Fan. However, some of the biased Fan Boy crap this gets posted here does drive me nuts. .............it is what it is

mark
  • Options
    BTW I have attended 200+ Big Ten games. I'm a alumni from a Big Ten school. I have seen games on every campus. I've always rooted for the Big Ten vs the others. I have been in several locker rooms (pre and post games including OSU). A very close relative was an All American at Ohio State (football) and made the cover of Sports Illustrated. I'm a Big Ten Fan. However, some of the biased Fan Boy crap this gets posted here does drive me nuts. .............it is what it is

mark

Can you get me tickets to the OSU v. MSU game? image
  • Options
    I think Tennessee is a decent team. They aren't terrible by any stretch, but they are also a 4 loss team. Most of their losses are quality losses (Arkansas is the lone bad loss), but they only have 1 decent win (Georgia).

I'll admit that I am an Ohio State fan, but I think I am being fairly realistic and as unbiased as possible. I think the committee got the Top 3 right, if not necessarily in that order (to my mind the order is largely meaningless - just get in). But 4 should have gone to Baylor or TCU. I'll have a major problem if one of those Big 12 teams goes undefeated and gets left out in favor of a 1-loss team.

I'm also willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the committee in that they showed they are willing to keep the rankings in flux and change drastically week to week.

The best thing is there is still a lot of games to go! This is going to be another fun Saturday.

I'm curious about the groups thoughts on this: Who is better - Northwestern or Tennessee?
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    No interest in debating rankings today but just an FYI that if anyone happens to be looking for 4 tix for the LSU/A&M game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in Baton Rouge, I've got 4 available at face value. Section 640 Row DD.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    The following teams will be in the top 4 if they win all their remaining games:

Clemson

LSU

Ohio State

Alabama

Notre Dame

Baylor

Michigan State

TCU

Iowa

Florida

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

There are 4 Big 12 teams on the list, but only one can win all their remaining games. More likely, none will. Clemson can win out and be in.

LSU or Alabama will lose this weekend. If LSU loses they are probably out as they won't likely be in the SEC title game. If Florida

wins all its remaining games it means they will have lost only to LSU, beaten Florida State, and won the SEC championship.

(If Alabama beats LSU Saturday, wins the SEC West, and then loses to Florida in the SEC Championship game look out!)

Notre Dame will be in if they win all their games.

Michigan State has to beat Ohio State and then the winner of the Big 10 West. Iowa remains undefeated only by winning out and beating the

Big 10 East winner, insuring that Michigan State and Ohio State both have lost one of their remaining games.

For these teams it is just win the games and do the math.

Stamford, Utah, Memphis, Florida State, and Michigan could get in, but they are not guaranteed a spot if they win the rest of

their games.

• Options

mark

You must be a Michigan fan because you are clearly a Buckeye hater.

The bottom line is people are always going to be biased and slant stats and "facts" to better their argument.

• Options
    That just wasn't nice. Reminder, LSU vs bama at 8pm
  • Options
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid

That just wasn't nice. Reminder, LSU vs bama at 8pm

Noted and I was totally kidding. I meant a meteor image

mark

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to argue rankings as they seem to create more uncertainty and doubt

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Computer ranking are unreliable and what we have now is unreliable and biased. when everyone can agree that a Conference Champion playoff system is the answer we might have a solution. the only thing about that is it would rob us all of what College football fans love, the rivalry aspect that always goes unanswered.
  • Options
    Long way to go....

Florida eeked one out today.

TCU in trouble.

• Options
    Iowa has some neat helmets. Would like to see the Hoosiers outlast them though.
  • Options
    Clemson, ND and Okalhoma State holds serve.

Florida, Iowa survive and Alabama catches a huge break when Arkansas wins an impossible OT game at Old Miss. Alabama now controls their own dynasty in the West. All bout their game with LSU tonight

Great weekend so far.

mark
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    The following teams will be in the top 4 if they win all their remaining games:

Clemson

LSU (losing)

Ohio State

Alabama (heading for #1?)

Notre Dame

Baylor

Michigan State (lost) (bad call)

TCU (lost)

Iowa

Florida

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

• Options
    Things have changed. Fun day in college football! My projected top 10:

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Baylor

Iowa

Oklahoma State

LSU

Stanford

Utah

• Options
    Props to Navy for punishing Memphis. Love the fight in those guys. Hopefully they lay a good strapping on Houston too.

I'm interested to see if the Mizzou players go on their boycott and miss a game or two.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    MSU grad here.... Goes without saying they're my boys. Totally got hosed when a clearly out-of-bounds (and unpushed) receiver came back in to catch that game winning TD!! That being said, MSU had a chance to win in the final seconds and didn't, PLUS when you are ranked that high, you don't let a weak Nebraska team run the field on you. Love'em, but they have not played any D this season and any of their games could have easily been lost. When Cook leaves, I fear Dantonio might not be far behind. It's been a fun ride though!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RoarIn84

MSU grad here.... Goes without saying they're my boys. Totally got hosed when a clearly out-of-bounds (and unpushed) receiver came back in to catch that game winning TD!! That being said, MSU had a chance to win in the final seconds and didn't, PLUS when you are ranked that high, you don't let a weak Nebraska team run the field on you. Love'em, but they have not played any D this season and any of their games could have easily been lost. When Cook leaves, I fear Dantonio might not be far behind. It's been a fun ride though!!

I think you nailed that post

mark

• Options
    Originally posted by: RoarIn84

I appreciate fans that can see the other side of the coin. I didn't see the controversial play but it's a bummer to lose on those. On the other hand as you indicate that last drive was horrendous. I did turn it on, right after the controversial td, just in time to watch that last drive. What was MSU doing on that last play!? They didn't manage that clock very well at all. A field goal would have won. That was not good. Plus, as you say, you shouldn't be in that position against a bad team. Oh well... on to next week.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dantonio is not going anywhere

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.