Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well we have learned that Ohio State and Michigan State are over rated to this point. The only quality win between the two of them is MSU over Oregon at home and even that is now suspect.

mark >>

I don't think Ohio state is overrated. >>

Of course you don't. Urban Meyer's would disagree with you. They are not very good right now. That could change

mark >>

They had one bad game out of four. The defense has looked very good in ALL four. He would agree.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well we have learned that Ohio State and Michigan State are over rated to this point. The only quality win between the two of them is MSU over Oregon at home and even that is now suspect.

mark >>

Of course you don't. Urban Meyer's would disagree with you. They are not very good right now. That could change

mark >>

They had one bad game out of four. The defense has looked very good in ALL four. He would agree. >>

The facts are Ohio State should run the table. Their toughest game until the last two weeks of the season is already behind them . The juggernaut that is No Illinois was a difficult game for them. They will be 10-0 when they play Michigan State. That will be the first ranked opponent they will have faced ALL season. Spin it however you like but those are the facts. OSU's defense isn't even the best in their division of the Big Ten statistically (even against their flimsy schedule ) or in my opinion.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

mark >>

They had one bad game out of four. The defense has looked very good in ALL four. He would agree. >>

The facts are Ohio State should run the table. Their toughest game until the last two weeks of the season is already behind them . The juggernaut that is No Illinois was a difficult game for them. They will be 10-0 when they play Michigan State. That will be the first ranked opponent they will have faced ALL season. Spin it however you like but those are the facts. OSU's defense isn't even the best in their division of the Big Ten statistically (even against their flimsy schedule ) or in my opinion.

mark >>

Guess what. That's what all the haters said in 2014. They had a weak schedule and they went on to beat the top ranked teams in the country with a 3rd string QB.

Go look at TCU's and Baylor's schedule. They are weaker than Ohio State's. In case you didn't know, teams have no control over in-conference schedules. If Ohio state wins their division, they will likely face another ranked team in the Big Ten championship game. The Big Ten this year is pretty strong.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

mark >>

mark >>

Guess what. That's what all the haters said in 2014. They had a weak schedule and they went on to beat the top ranked teams in the country with a 3rd string QB.

Go look at TCU's and Baylor's schedule. They are weaker than Ohio State's. In case you didn't know, teams have no control over in-conference schedules. If Ohio state wins their division, they will likely face another ranked team in the Big Ten championship game. The Big Ten this year is pretty strong. >>

Why do you keep bringing up TCU and now Baylor? I'm only talking about OSU and their weak schedule. Yes in 2014 they had a weak schedule and got into a playoff and won their two games. In 2015 they will have a chance to do the same with an even weaker schedule. They are gaming the system. Congrat's and enjoy. Just don't tell my how great they are. I'm not buying it.

Of course they have no control over their in conference schedule ( if they did it would be even weaker ). But the facts are thhiis their schedule

VT
    Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Penn St
    Rutgers
    Minnesota
    Illinois

40 programs would be undefeated at this point with this schedule. The Big Ten maybe good but you wouldn't know how OSU would handle them up to this point.

Then after they get all the kinks out they have Michigan St and Michigan. That's it folks.

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OSU and MSU are not overrated. They are more of a target. There is more parity in College Football and that trend is likely to continue. As for the Big Ten, Michigan has a decent team and capable of beating MSU or OSU. Northwestern is decent but they seem to be a little banged up. Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern could win the West. Actually one of the more important games this weekend will be Northwestern at Minnesota. This game could speak volumes as to the depth of talent in the conference.

In terms of the whole country, its just premature to determine the top 4- what do you do with teams like Utah, LSU and some one loss teams?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>OSU and MSU are not overrated. They are more of a target. There is more parity in College Football and that trend is likely to continue. As for the Big Ten, Michigan has a decent team and capable of beating MSU or OSU. Northwestern is decent but they seem to be a little banged up. Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern could win the West. Actually one of the more important games this weekend will be Northwestern at Minnesota. This game could speak volumes as to the depth of talent in the conference.

In terms of the whole country, its just premature to determine the top 4- what do you do with teams like Utah, LSU and some one loss teams?
    >>

I basically agree with you except I don't think OSU and MSU deserve to ranked 1-2. I think that is silly. However, you basically stated my case. The Big Ten has MSU and OSU and a few decent teams which you mentioned. The ones you didn't mention are well....... Not very good. FYI Minnesota has been pretty bad so far.

FYI I'm a Big Ten guy and a realist

mark
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    VT
    Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Penn St
    Rutgers
    Minnesota
    Illinois

40 programs would be undefeated at this point with this schedule. The Big Ten maybe good but you wouldn't know how OSU would handle them up to this point.

Then after they get all the kinks out they have Michigan St and Michigan. That's it folks.

mark >>

That schedule is really amazing you are right. As you say they can't control the conference schedule but that non-conference schedule is pretty weak. Though I am a Pac 12 guy I was equally disappointed with Oregon scheduling Eastern Washington AND Georgia State. That's even more pathetic than Ohio State's non-conference... but then Oregon balanced it by playing Michigan State. Oregon gave up about as many points to the lower level schools as they did against Michigan State. Not sure what that means. Lol. Anyway, good thoughts on Ohio State. I, for one, appreciate realists. You seem to have a good balance of optimism and realism in your comments. There are still 20 teams that "could" win it all. It's a long season....
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I posted the following below on 1/8/2014 and it still holds true. They have added a home & home with Notre Dame for 2022 & 2023 and Boston College has been pushed to 2023 & 2024.:

Here are the future home and home series that ohio state has set up for the future:

2014 & 15: Virgina Tech
    2016 & 17: Oklahoma
    2018 & 19: TCU
    2020 & 21: Oregon & Boston College
    2022 & 23: Texas

I show this to illustrate how far in advance non-conference schedules are made. When ohio state set up their home & home with Cal they looked like an up-and-coming program. Remember they were ranked #2 at some point during the 2007 season. The TCU series was set up when they were going to back-to-back BCS bowls.

Can anyone look at those non conference opponents and honestly say that is cream puff scheduling?

Source: NationalChamps.net
    Additional source: fbschedules.com
  • Options

<< <i>I posted the following below on 1/8/2014 and it still holds true. They have added a home & home with Notre Dame for 2022 & 2023 and Boston College has been pushed to 2023 & 2024.:

Here are the future home and home series that ohio state has set up for the future:

2014 & 15: Virgina Tech
    2016 & 17: Oklahoma
    2018 & 19: TCU
    2020 & 21: Oregon & Boston College
    2022 & 23: Texas

I show this to illustrate how far in advance non-conference schedules are made. When ohio state set up their home & home with Cal they looked like an up-and-coming program. Remember they were ranked #2 at some point during the 2007 season. The TCU series was set up when they were going to back-to-back BCS bowls.

Can anyone look at those non conference opponents and honestly say that is cream puff scheduling?

Source: NationalChamps.net
    Additional source: fbschedules.com >>

That's a good post but were these three ever NOT going to be cream puffs?

Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan
  • Options

<< <i>That's a good post but were these three ever NOT going to be cream puffs?

Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan >>

This can't be an Ohio State specific complaint, though. Every major college team in the country plays only one big non-conference game, if that. And usually its a middling tier team from a major conference. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been as ambitious as Ohio State when it comes to scheduling major powers for the future.
  • Options

<< <i>

Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan >>

This can't be an Ohio State specific complaint, though. Every major college team in the country plays only one big non-conference game, if that. And usually its a middling tier team from a major conference. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been as ambitious as Ohio State when it comes to scheduling major powers for the future. >>

Yep. Before recently, Notre Dame turned down Ohio state EVERY YEAR. And I'm sure there are plenty of other big names that have turned them down.

As for the jokers who want to call teams 'cream puffs' just ask Bret Bielema and Gus Malzahn about those 'cream puffs' lol.

• Options

<< <i>

Hawaii
    No. Illinois
    Western Michigan >>

This can't be an Ohio State specific complaint, though. Every major college team in the country plays only one big non-conference game, if that. And usually its a middling tier team from a major conference. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been as ambitious as Ohio State when it comes to scheduling major powers for the future. >>

You are right. I think the previous comments, which I tend to agree with, are that THIS year the Ohio State schedule appears to be very easy. It's hard to argue with that. If they run the table again and win the playoff they are the champion. Not taking anything away from that. It's like the Giants sliding into the playoffs and winning the world series. However, they did it, they got the W when it counted most.
  • Options
    They play a 4-0 team this week. Indiana hasn't beaten any great teams, but one was from the power 5. Not to mention they beat the SEC east champ last year.

• Options
    My point is the teams that are ranked 1 and 2 become targets- OSU and MSU currently are ranked 1 and 2 so they become the targets to beat. Alabama was a target and Ole Miss brought their A game and beat them- it happens. That is why we watch.

Minnesota is 3-1. They have not dominated any game but they have won which matters. Their one loss was against TCU by 6. I would not say they are not very good...

Just my thoughts

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    These are the type of discussions that make college football great.

Go Green!
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawgs/Bama should be a good game this week. We might see Bama go 3 loss this year, which would be absurd.
  • Options

<< <i>My point is the teams that are ranked 1 and 2 become targets- OSU and MSU currently are ranked 1 and 2 so they become the targets to beat. Alabama was a target and Ole Miss brought their A game and beat them- it happens. That is why we watch.

Minnesota is 3-1. They have not dominated any game but they have won which matters. Their one loss was against TCU by 6. I would not say they are not very good...

Just my thoughts >>

I think Minnesota is a pretty good team, they have struggled so far but found a way to win. In the Big Ten, while the power is in the East with Ohio State and Michigan State, the west has real good depth with Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Nebraska might not be horrible either. That will be a race worth watching.

Georgia- Alabama is going to be an interesting game too. It seems Georgia is far and away the best team in the SEC East. But you can never count out Alabama. I'm looking forward to Saturday.
  • Options

<< <i>My point is the teams that are ranked 1 and 2 become targets- OSU and MSU currently are ranked 1 and 2 so they become the targets to beat. Alabama was a target and Ole Miss brought their A game and beat them- it happens. That is why we watch.

Just my thoughts >>

I thought they would be good also but wins like these say otherwise

Colorado State 23-20
    Kent St 10-7
    Ohio 27-24

As for OSU and MSU being over rated my point was literal. There are other 4-0 teams with more quality wins and have played tougher schedules and have looked better. If I were voting I'd have them 5& 6 or maybe even a notch lower.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>They play a 4-0 team this week. Indiana hasn't beaten any great teams, but one was from the power 5. Not to mention they beat the SEC east champ last year. >>

You are desperate spin master

Here are Indiana's wins. I kid you not:

Southern Illinois 48-47
    Florida International 36-22
    Western Kentucky 38-35

Their Power 5 win was 31-24 against Wake Forest. In case in anyone missed it, one of Wake Forest's 2 wins was against Elon. I think that's a hair salon school.

Do you get any other stations but the Big Ten Network?

As for your ND scheduling comment they couldn't add them. They already had instate Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St commitments.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>As for your ND scheduling comment they couldn't add them. They already had instate Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St commitments. >>

I miss the ND/MSU games. Quite exciting stuff, even though that 2013 MSU loss kept them (theoretically) out of a national championship game.

Indiana is not good.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As for your ND scheduling comment they couldn't add them. They already had instate Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St commitments. >>

I miss the ND/MSU games. Quite exciting stuff, even though that 2013 MSU loss kept them (theoretically) out of a national championship game.

Indiana is not good. >>

You were spot now and on your earlier post. These discussions are great!

I miss Michigan- Notre Dame as well. Went to most of them

Congrat's on your Royals!!!!

M
  • Options

<< <i>You were spot now and on your earlier post. These discussions are great!

I miss Michigan- Notre Dame as well. Went to most of them

Congrat's on your Royals!!!!

M >>

Thanks for the Royals comment. Been a tough 19 years, but as a fan since the late 70s, they will always be the team closest to my heart, with a slight edge over the Spartans.
    Last year's playoffs were pretty much like a dream. I literally couldn't watch the games live (didn't think my heart could take it) and had to watch them the next morning before I went to work on the dvr, fast forwarding here and there.

It looks like the ND/MSU games pick it back up next year.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They play a 4-0 team this week. Indiana hasn't beaten any great teams, but one was from the power 5. Not to mention they beat the SEC east champ last year. >>

Southern Illinois 48-47
    Western Kentucky 38-35

Their Power 5 win was 31-24 against Wake Forest. In case in anyone missed it, one of Wake Forest's 2 wins was against Elon. I think that's a hair salon school.

As for your ND scheduling comment they couldn't add them. They already had instate Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St commitments.

mark >>

I stated Indiana didn't beat any great teams but a win is a win. Look at the teams who Arkansas lost to.

Notre Dame turned Ohio state down because they simply did not want to play them. Look at the last 3 results and you can see why lol. Look at how many ACC teams ND is playing this year and one of those teams is Wake Forest.

If you want to make the quality wins case, then Northwestern should be in the top 5 considering they beat 2 quality power 5 teams.

• Options
    I would like to see Northwestern win 10 or 11 games... They play a game that makes College Football what it should be.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Southern Illinois 48-47
    Western Kentucky 38-35

mark >>

I stated Indiana didn't beat any great teams but a win is a win. Look at the teams who Arkansas lost to.

Notre Dame turned Ohio state down because they simply did not want to play them. Look at the last 3 results and you can see why lol. Look at how many ACC teams ND is playing this year and one of those teams is Wake Forest.

If you want to make the quality wins case, then Northwestern should be in the top 5 considering they beat 2 quality power 5 teams. >>

I'd have no problem ranking them higher. Too bad they don't play OSU this year. I don't look forward to playing them the week before MSU.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Southern Illinois 48-47
    Western Kentucky 38-35

mark >>

If you want to make the quality wins case, then Northwestern should be in the top 5 considering they beat 2 quality power 5 teams. >>

I'd have no problem ranking them higher. Too bad they don't play OSU this year. I don't look forward to playing them the week before MSU.

mark >>

Possibility they could play OSU in December.

• Options
    Todays Upsets will be...

I've got nothing...

Indiana hanging around against Ohio State?

Iowa-Wisconsin and Minnesota-Northwestern should be good

• Options
    Amazing how many empty seats at the Ohio State v. Indiana game. It's not that far of a drive I would think that place would be sold out. I think of both those schools as having good fans. Strange. Looks like a game out here in California. Lol.
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing how many empty seats at the Ohio State v. Indiana game. It's not that far of a drive I would think that place would be sold out. I think of both those schools as having good fans. Strange. Looks like a game out here in California. Lol. >>

Most football fans in Indiana are Notre Dame fans.

• Options
    Ohio State v. Indiana came down to the buzzer. As said above it's a lesser team giving their all and gunning for the top dawg. I don't think Indiana is a great team but they played tough today. Time for the evening games....
  • Options
    OSU over rated
    MSU over rated

That is all

mark
  • Options
    What a wild finish in Champaign... 14-13 Illinois wins

• Options
    As for MSU and OSU being overrated... there is a lot football to play. I am not offering an excuse for the Spartans against the Boilermakers at home.

I did not see the Northwestern game-

I am still stunned into silence with the wild end in Champaign

• Options
    I kind of love how this has turned into a Big Ten thread image

Congrats Illinois

mark
  • Options

<< <i>As for MSU and OSU being overrated... there is a lot football to play. I am not offering an excuse for the Spartans against the Boilermakers at home.

I did not see the Northwestern game-

I am still stunned into silence with the wild end in Champaign >>

There is still a lot of football left to be played. Up to this point there in no way OSU and MSU deserved to be 1 and 2. That's been my only point I've been trying to drive home.

OSU's vaunted D was a sieve against Indiana even with the leading rusher in the nation hurt for the Hooisers and their back up QB pressed into action in the second half. Give OSU credit they won an ugly game. OSU has QB issues. Who would have thunk it. Braxton Miller was invisible at WR

mark
  • Options
    What happened today in the Big Ten is why we watch...

Its not always going to turn out as expected.

• Options
    Iowa got a good win today. I watched much of that game. They did what they had to do to win.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dawgs sucked complete asscake today. Horrible performance.
  • Options

<< <i>What happened today in the Big Ten is why we watch...

Its not always going to turn out as expected. >>

No doubt
  • Options
    Folks outside the Big Ten don't have an appreciation for how big the Iowa-Wisconsin game is. For Iowa to win in Madison this year is huge

• Options
    OSU beat a tough team on the road. Indiana always gives OSU a good game. Nothing new. Indiana beat Wake Forest and they gave Florida state a good game. Many of the other top teams lost today, so I see no other team that deserves to be ranked #1.

• Options

<< <i>OSU beat a tough team on the road. Indiana always gives OSU a good game. Nothing new. Indiana beat Wake Forest and they gave Florida state a good game. Many of the other top teams lost today, so I see no other team that deserves to be ranked #1. >>

Of course you don't. You take full credit full your close win against an undermanned Indiana and give Wake Forest full marks full playing well against Florida State at home AND losing. You are just deflecting. I can't debate someone that has a buckeye jammed so far up his behind that it effects his ability to reason.

Indiana played inspired football but they are not very good. The nice thing the 2015 season has showed so far is that there about 30 teams not separated by much. No great teams have emerged so far.

Can't you just admit Ohio State has not played even close to expectations? To me they have been a huge disappointment.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OSU beat a tough team on the road. Indiana always gives OSU a good game. Nothing new. Indiana beat Wake Forest and they gave Florida state a good game. Many of the other top teams lost today, so I see no other team that deserves to be ranked #1. >>

Of course you don't. You take full credit full your close win against an undermanned Indiana and give Wake Forest full marks full playing well against Florida State at home AND losing. You are just deflecting. I can't debate someone that has a buckeye jammed so far up his behind that it effects his ability to reason.

Indiana played inspired football but they are not very good. The nice thing the 2015 season has showed so far is that there about 30 teams not separated by much. No great teams have emerged so far.

Can't you just admit Ohio State has not played even close to expectations? To me they have been a huge disappointment.

mark >>

Wow. You are a hater.

• Options
    Maybe we should consider avoiding a discussion as to the Polls and overrated and underrated teams until week 8 of the season.

The Polls really just do not matter at this stage of the season- its a pointless discussion

• Options

<< <i>Indiana played inspired football but they are not very good. The nice thing the 2015 season has showed so far is that there about 30 teams not separated by much. No great teams have emerged so far.

mark >>

As a Buckeye fan, it is impossible to disagree with anything said above. The announcer kept saying that he expects Indiana to win "8 or 9 games this year". Where can I get that action?

Ohio State has been playing with fire and even if you think Indiana is really good (they're not) this is supposed to be the #1 team in the country. Having one of those type of games is one thing. They now have three of them.

Ohio State does not look like a #1 team. Maybe that will change. They have plenty of opportunities coming. I think the reason that they maintain the #1 rating, as you mentioned, is everyone is flawed. TCU has had close games with substandard opponents. Maybe Utah? Clemson? They had a great win. Based on Saturday, you have to expect Alabama to be sitting there in December with only 1 loss. LSU was only up 8 against Eastern Michigan at , a bad MAC team (not Toledo or Northern Illinois - who are good ones).

So its almost as though Ohio State is #1 by default. You could probably make the best case for Utah and if their name was "USC" instead of Utah, they likely would be #1.

Bring on Week 6!
  • Options
    Ohio State had quite a few close games last year against unranked teams. Nothing new.

• Options

<< <i>Ohio State had quite a few close games last year against unranked teams. Nothing new. >>

Help me out here. What were all the close games last year?

Looking at the schedule and the game-by-game, the Penn State game was the only one that was close late. Last year, Indiana had a 3rd quarter lead after a long run, but the Buckeyes were up 3 TDs in the 4th quarter. The Minnesota game was 31-14 in the 4th and they were down 10 in the last 2 minutes. I'm just not seeing these close games.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ohio State had quite a few close games last year against unranked teams. Nothing new. >>

Help me out here. What were all the close games last year?

Looking at the schedule and the game-by-game, the Penn State game was the only one that was close late. Last year, Indiana had a 3rd quarter lead after a long run, but the Buckeyes were up 3 TDs in the 4th quarter. The Minnesota game was 31-14 in the 4th and they were down 10 in the last 2 minutes. I'm just not seeing these close games. >>

I think people remember them struggling with Navy in the opener and then losing to a mediocre VT at home to start the season. They were behind Navy at half time. Penn St was double OT and you mentioned Minnesota and Indiana. They also struggled against an awful Michigan at home and it was 21-21 late in the third quarter of that game. They pulled away in the 4th.

mark
  • Options
    They struggled against both Minnesota and Indiana. Indiana was ahead late in the 3rd quarter. My point was I don't know why people are complaining this year about the struggles when this happens every year.

• Options
    I still think Utah is overrated. They beat Oregon but I think Oregon is down this year. I watched Utah barely beat Utah State a few weeks ago. Now, all of a sudden, Utah is top 10. I don't buy it. I think they'll lose to Cal this weekend and then Cal will become the new thing out in the Pac-12.