Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still think Utah is overrated. They beat Oregon but I think Oregon is down this year. I watched Utah barely beat Utah State a few weeks ago. Now, all of a sudden, Utah is top 10. I don't buy it. I think they'll lose to Cal this weekend and then Cal will become the new thing out in the Pac-12. >>

They beat Oregon 62-20 at Oregon. They also beat Michigan who has the second best defense in the nation.They have more quality wins then anyone in front of them. Not too shabby.

Cal is good but I think Utah holds serve

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    im sticking with osu
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Those ESPN hacks always make me laugh. Tom Luginbul or whatever his name is has Alabama ranked #1 in his top 5 and another guy has Stanford ranked in his top 5. How in the world can anyone pick Stanford ahead of Northwestern????? image

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I still think Utah is overrated. They beat Oregon but I think Oregon is down this year. I watched Utah barely beat Utah State a few weeks ago. Now, all of a sudden, Utah is top 10. I don't buy it. I think they'll lose to Cal this weekend and then Cal will become the new thing out in the Pac-12. >>

They beat Oregon 62-20 at Oregon. They also beat Michigan who has the second best defense in the nation.They have more quality wins then anyone in front of them. Not too shabby.

mark >>

I hear ya but my thing is that Utah gets a lot of "credit" for putting 62 on Oregon. However, Oregon let FCS Eastern Washington score 42 against them and Georgia State, which is a low level team, score 28. Even Colorado scored 24 against Oregon. Other than the Michigan State game Oregon just hasn't played great. I thus feel that "big" win by Utah isn't that big. As for beating Michigan... ya, it's a nice win I'll give you that but Michigan isn't Michigan of years past.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

I hear ya but my thing is that Utah gets a lot of "credit" for putting 62 on Oregon. However, Oregon let FCS Eastern Washington score 42 against them and Georgia State, which is a low level team, score 28. Even Colorado scored 24 against Oregon. Other than the Michigan State game Oregon just hasn't played great. I thus feel that "big" win by Utah isn't that big. As for beating Michigan... ya, it's a nice win I'll give you that but Michigan isn't Michigan of years past. >>

Actually some think that Michigan is the best team is the Big Ten. Click link below. Anyways the first couple of paragraphs sum up my feelings on OSU better then I did. mark

from CBS sports
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Northwestern-Michigan game should be terrific

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>The Northwestern-Michigan game should be terrific >>

There should be some snot knocked out for sure. Michigan lost their best DL man for the year( hurt last week) so someone else needs to step up

mark
  • Options
    BTW, UM very well could be the best team in the Big Ten. I am really trying to look back at what season had such a wide open race for the top spot of the conference... perhaps 1967?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dawgs better step it up in Knoxville. That place is loud as all hell and UT has shown some good stuff despite the record. We gotta win if we want to keep Atlanta in sight.
  • Options
    I haven't watched a full Baylor game but they are smokin' teams!

REGULAR SEASON

@ SMU
    W56-21

vs LAM
    W66-31

vs RICE
    W70-17

vs TTU
    W63-35

@ KU
    W66-7
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know many, many members don't want to hear about OSU and #1, but they won again today despite still having to struggle a little. the bright spot from MyLoftyPerch is that the problems plaguing the Buckeyes tend to all be discipline problems, mainly penalties and turnovers. again, I know many, many members don't want to hear it, but until OSU loses they should be #1.
  • Options
    Michigan is looking like a top ten team at the moment...

• Options
    I don't think anyone wants to play Michigan right now. Look out Spartans next week.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That first play for the Dawgs was a crusher. I hope Chubb has a speedy recovery. Was nasty.

And we sucked.

Analysts were all over OSU this morning.
  • Options
    Sooooo...

What is the best team with one loss? Alabama? Michigan? or... add the team of your choice

• Options

<< <i>Sooooo...

What is the best team with one loss? Alabama? Michigan? or... add the team of your choice >>

Good question. I think it's bama. Although I have to admit Michigan is apparently better than I thought.
  • Options

<< <i>Sooooo...

What is the best team with one loss? Alabama? Michigan? or... add the team of your choice >>

Alabama didn't look that great against Arkansas.

• Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that Michigan is a 6.5 point favorite over Michigan State. If I were a gambler I think I would take State. Should be a good game.
  • Options

<< <i>I heard on the radio this morning that Michigan is a 6.5 point favorite over Michigan State. >>

I made the mistake last week by taking 9 points with Northwestern.

Meanwhile Florida starting QB out for the season for testing positive for PED's.

• Options

<< <i>I heard on the radio this morning that Michigan is a 6.5 point favorite over Michigan State. If I were a gambler I think I would take State. Should be a good game. >>

Gamblers moved the spread already. Mich opened up as a 3 point favorite. It is Michigan by 7.5 as I type.

I think this is what moved it

MSU 0-6 vs the spread
    UM is 4-2

OSU is 1-5

mark
  • Options
    If the game is at Ann Arbor, I would not bet against the Wolverines...

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>MSU 0-6 vs the spread
    UM is 4-2

OSU is 1-5

mark >>

OSU is 2-4 ATS (VT & Hawaii)

I was driving home from Columbus, so I didn't get to see it, but VERY impressive win for Michigan. I don't think there can be any denying they are the real deal now.

Regarding, Ohio State as #1, I saw the entire game and the started to pull away late the 3rd Q. I get the idea that "#1 stays #1 until someone beats them", but that is the only reason to think Ohio State is #1 right now. I don't who should be the #1 team right now, it just shouldn't be Ohio State

• Options

<< <i>I get the idea that "#1 stays #1 until someone beats them" >>

I think that's totally reasonable. It's not like there is some other team that is so clearly better than them right now. Long way to go still....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>MSU 0-6 vs the spread
    UM is 4-2

OSU is 1-5

mark >>

OSU is 2-4 ATS (VT & Hawaii)

I was driving home from Columbus, so I didn't get to see it, but VERY impressive win for Michigan. I don't think there can be any denying they are the real deal now.

Regarding, Ohio State as #1, I saw the entire game and the started to pull away late the 3rd Q. I get the idea that "#1 stays #1 until someone beats them", but that is the only reason to think Ohio State is #1 right now. I don't who should be the #1 team right now, it just shouldn't be Ohio State >>

I pulled the 1-5 mark against the spread from my Vegas sources. I don't think they covered against Hawaii but no big deal either way. I'd be happy to post the source. I don't think OSU will be number 1 when the BSC comes out unless Baylor, TCU or Utah loses prior. They kjust don't have the strength of schedule or eye appeal to justify it. They will not have played a ranked opponent until week 11 of the season. Vegas has the odds of OSU going undefeated at about 15% the last I looked. College football is the best and I'm glad the games are played on the field.

mark
  • Options
    I'm not sure who will be #1 in the first BCS rankings. I think they might go with Ohio State just because its the safest pick. Who really has a better claim?

Baylor? They are killing teams, but their strength of schedule isn't going to be there either.
    TCU? They have had close calls, one more harrowing than anything the Buckeyes have had to. Kansas State is a better win than VT, I'll concede.
    LSU? They have had struggles too. Florida's QB suspension takes the shine off of this potential win.
    Utah? Could be. They do have the best win of any undefeated team, although if Sparty gets Michigan that dimishes that a little.

It will be fun to watch this shakeout. I imagine we will end with the Big Ten, SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12 champions in the final 4, unless Clemson or Free Shoes goes undefeated, but I read something this weekend about the ACCs weak record against the "Group of 5" conferences not just the major conferences. The ACC must have an undefeated champion.

As far as Ohio State going undefeated at 15%. That translates to about 6-1. I'd take that action in a second, as flawed as they've looked.
  • Options
    Ohio State is number 1 because they started the season unanimous number one. Period. They have not been the best team on the field nor have they played anybody. I'm not sure how that can even be disputed. This happens a lot. FSU was a recent example. Baylor, LSU, Florida and Utah up to this point have the best resumes. TCU certainly has faired better then OSU.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>. TCU certainly has faired better then OSU.

mark >>

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>. TCU certainly has faired better then OSU.

mark >>

image >>

TCU's schedule is laughable. Oklahoma and Baylor are the only difficult games. I'm not saying OSUs is difficult, but TCUs is just plain bad.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    looks as if we are going to be turning the clock back this year- the OSU -UM game should be great again.

• Options

<< <i>Ohio State is number 1 because they started the season unanimous number one. Period. They have not been the best team on the field nor have they played anybody. I'm not sure how that can even be disputed. This happens a lot. FSU was a recent example. Baylor, LSU, Florida and Utah up to this point have the best resumes. TCU certainly has faired better then OSU.

mark >>

Utah has the best win and best overall resume. But the other teams do not have good resumes. Baylor has played a worse schedule than Ohio State. Take a look at LSU's schedule too. Its not all that impressive. Only beat Syracuse by 10 and Eastern Michigan was a one score game starting the 4th quarter - and Eastern Michigan is not like Toledo, Northern Illinois or BGSU, they are a bad MAC team. Florida has that great win over Ole Miss, otherwise they have been living dangerously with close wins over Tennessee and Kentucky. Losing their QB doesn't help their claim to #1 either.

And I don't agree that TCU has fared better than Ohio State. They are a bizarre defected pass away from losing to Texas Tech. SMU was a one score game into the 4th quarter.

I do agree that Ohio State starting at #1 is a huge advantage and that is likely why they are still there, but to my mind the only other team that has a clearly better case is Utah. Everyone else has warts and can be picked apart to some degree.

The best thing is there is still a lot of football to go.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    On paper, it looks like UofM will put a whoopin on the Spartans. I will have to admit that.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ohio State is number 1 because they started the season unanimous number one. Period. They have not been the best team on the field nor have they played anybody. I'm not sure how that can even be disputed. This happens a lot. FSU was a recent example. Baylor, LSU, Florida and Utah up to this point have the best resumes. TCU certainly has faired better then OSU.

mark >>

Utah has the best win and best overall resume. But the other teams do not have good resumes. Baylor has played a worse schedule than Ohio State. Take a look at LSU's schedule too. Its not all that impressive. Only beat Syracuse by 10 and Eastern Michigan was a one score game starting the 4th quarter - and Eastern Michigan is not like Toledo, Northern Illinois or BGSU, they are a bad MAC team. Florida has that great win over Ole Miss, otherwise they have been living dangerously with close wins over Tennessee and Kentucky. Losing their QB doesn't help their claim to #1 either.

And I don't agree that TCU has fared better than Ohio State. They are a bizarre defected pass away from losing to Texas Tech. SMU was a one score game into the 4th quarter.

I do agree that Ohio State starting at #1 is a huge advantage and that is likely why they are still there, but to my mind the only other team that has a clearly better case is Utah. Everyone else has warts and can be picked apart to some degree.

The best thing is there is still a lot of football to go. >>

I'll play. I'll use Jeff Sagarins strength of schedule ratings as it's the most widely accepted. I only used undefeated teams

Record VS Top 30 opponent and (strength of schedule)

Ohio State 0-0 (86)
    Baylor 0-0 (124)
    TCU 1-0 (46)
    Clemson 1-0 (16)
    Utah 2-0 (11)
    Florida 2-0 (21)
    Texas A&M 1-0 (41)
    LSU 1-0 (49)
    Oklahoma ST 2-0 ( 54)
    Florida State 0-0 (76)
    Iowa 0-0 (44)
    MSU 0-0 (89)

So with the way OSU has played and who they have played so far you still feel they deserve to be number one? They have played no one in the top 30 and they have the third weakest strength of schedule compared to the undefeateds. Baylor is on the same cupcake tour but at least they are destroying everybody they play.

Florida and LSU play this week. One of them is going to have an even more awesome resume.

Just food for thought

mark
  • Options
    Ohio states SOS is going to get much tougher they have Penn State, Michigan state, Michigan and if they make it probably Iowa in the BIG championship game.

Every team Baylor has faced their defense ranks in the 100's.

• Options

<< <i>Ohio states SOS is going to get much tougher they have Penn State, Michigan state, Michigan and if they make it probably Iowa in the BIG championship game.

Every team Baylor has faced their defense ranks in the 100's. >>

Of course it's going to get harder. The highest rated team they played so far is number 43 ( VT ). Penn State will not help OSU SOS much if any. Penn St is rated number 52 with their own SOS at 92. You don't get SOS credit because Penn St used to be good or has cool uniforms.

Baylor has indeed played at even softer schedule then OSU. But it's easy to see why defenses slip to 100 AFTER Baylor slaps 70 points and 700 yards on them. I doubt all those teams were 100 or worst before they played Baylor.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ohio states SOS is going to get much tougher they have Penn State, Michigan state, Michigan and if they make it probably Iowa in the BIG championship game.

Of course it's going to get harder. The highest rated team they played so far is number 43 ( VT ). Penn State will not help OSU SOS much if any. Penn St is rated number 52 with their own SOS at 92. You don't get SOS credit because Penn St used to be good or has cool uniforms.

Baylor has indeed played at even softer schedule then OSU. But it's easy to see why defenses slip to 100 AFTER Baylor slaps 70 points and 700 yards on them. I doubt all those teams were 100 or worst before they played Baylor.

mark >>

It all depends how many games Penn State ends up winning. They are pretty good and had votes this week for the top 25. They almost beat the Buckeyes last year. They get Michigan at home. Baylor has yet to play a defense with a pulse.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...

mark >>

Excellent point. To me, no matter how bad the opponent is when you roll up 60-70 points a game on them... EVERY week... you are a really good team. I will be interested to see how Baylor does against a good team. A couple more easy games and then the schedule gets more interesting for them... but might not be a real challenge, other than TCU, until the playoffs. Last year's TCU/Baylor was epic.

UCLA v. Stanford tonight should be good.
  • Options
    Computer based strength of schedule can be a bit tricky because there is some degree of circular logic used. As you state, the teams Baylor plays are going to have poor defensive ranks becasue they had to play Baylor. That will skew what the computer spits out as different teams strength. Baylor may not be the best example because the teams they have played thus far have been horrible, even ignoring the metrics that those teams are going to have. But Baylor's schedule gets tougher too. November includes At Oklahoma State, At TCU and At Kansas State and a home game against Oklahoma. That is pretty good.

As consider that the sample size is way too small 5 weeks into the season for computer inputs to give really good valuable information.

As frustrating as it can be, the eye test is probably the best measure we have to use even considering the biases we all carry (some certainly more than others). That and final conference standings, which we won't have until its all over.

I am a Buckeyes fan, but I think I am being realistic and fair. They have not looked like a #1 team so far. If I were an AP voter, I think I would probably have Utah at #1 right now. Their resume is legit and strong. But nobody else (undefeated) has a so much better resume that they should be ranked ahead of Ohio State, except for Utah. And stand by the flaws I pointed out in my earlier posts. I'd have Ohio State #2, just because I can't justify anyone else being ahead of them.

I have ask Justa, who do you think should be #1? And what # do you think Ohio State should be?

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

It all depends how many games Penn State ends up winning. They are pretty good and had votes this week for the top 25. They almost beat the Buckeyes last year. They get Michigan at home. Baylor has yet to play a defense with a pulse. >>

Baylor is blowing out teams that anyone could blow out, it't not very impressive. Penn State is gonna be a tough game for OSU this week. Like said, they almost beat them last year, the PSU defense is really good, and they're getting their star freshman running back, back this week. The only team i think deserves to be number 1 other than OSU is Utah and that won't happen unless OSU loses a game. As long as they keep winning, they will continue to be number 1.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>Computer based strength of schedule can be a bit tricky because there is some degree of circular logic used. As you state, the teams Baylor plays are going to have poor defensive ranks becasue they had to play Baylor. That will skew what the computer spits out as different teams strength. Baylor may not be the best example because the teams they have played thus far have been horrible, even ignoring the metrics that those teams are going to have. But Baylor's schedule gets tougher too. November includes At Oklahoma State, At TCU and At Kansas State and a home game against Oklahoma. That is pretty good.

As consider that the sample size is way too small 5 weeks into the season for computer inputs to give really good valuable information.

As frustrating as it can be, the eye test is probably the best measure we have to use even considering the biases we all carry (some certainly more than others). That and final conference standings, which we won't have until its all over.

I am a Buckeyes fan, but I think I am being realistic and fair. They have not looked like a #1 team so far. If I were an AP voter, I think I would probably have Utah at #1 right now. Their resume is legit and strong. But nobody else (undefeated) has a so much better resume that they should be ranked ahead of Ohio State, except for Utah. And stand by the flaws I pointed out in my earlier posts. I'd have Ohio State #2, just because I can't justify anyone else being ahead of them.

I have ask Justa, who do you think should be #1? And what # do you think Ohio State should be? >>

Utah. I'll reserve number 2 for the winner of the LSU/Florida game. I'd have OSU anywhere between 4 and 6. Probably 4. OSU does well will traditional pollsters since they started unanimous number 1. Most computer models have them outside the top ten. That's going to hurt OSU when the BSC is complied. I hope OSU keeps winning ugly and stays near the top. OSU needs both Michigan and MSU to keep winning and they need them ranked high otherwise they literally won't have any chance at major quality wins.

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>...

mark >>

Excellent point. To me, no matter how bad the opponent is when you roll up 60-70 points a game on them... EVERY week... you are a really good team. I will be interested to see how Baylor does against a good team. A couple more easy games and then the schedule gets more interesting for them... but might not be a real challenge, other than TCU, until the playoffs. Last year's TCU/Baylor was epic.

UCLA v. Stanford tonight should be good. >>

Man Stanford looks great

mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Computer based strength of schedule can be a bit tricky because there is some degree of circular logic used. As you state, the teams Baylor plays are going to have poor defensive ranks becasue they had to play Baylor. That will skew what the computer spits out as different teams strength. Baylor may not be the best example because the teams they have played thus far have been horrible, even ignoring the metrics that those teams are going to have. But Baylor's schedule gets tougher too. November includes At Oklahoma State, At TCU and At Kansas State and a home game against Oklahoma. That is pretty good.

I have ask Justa, who do you think should be #1? And what # do you think Ohio State should be? >>

Utah. I'll reserve number 2 for the winner of the LSU/Florida game. I'd have OSU anywhere between 4 and 6. Probably 4. OSU does well will traditional pollsters since they started unanimous number 1. Most computer models have them outside the top ten. That's going to hurt OSU when the BSC is complied. I hope OSU keeps winning ugly and stays near the top. OSU needs both Michigan and MSU to keep winning and they need them ranked high otherwise they literally won't have any chance at major quality wins.

mark >>

The BCS no longer exists which means they dont use computers to determine the rankings. Its all decided by the 13 member committee.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

mark >>

The BCS no longer exists which means they don't use computers to determine the rankings. Its all decided by the 13 member committee. >>

You are of course correct about the BCS. Old habits die hard. A team's strength of schedule is one of the most pertinent considerations for the committee in making its selections .Other factors that the committee weighs are conference championships, team records, and head-to-head results. While advanced statistics, computer models and metrics are expected to be submitted to the committee, though like other analytics, they have no formal role in the decision.

mark
  • Options
    Track meet in Waco... 14-7 Baylor after 5 minutes. No defense but fun to watch if you like the ball moving!
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to admit that I cannot believe the Spartans pulled that off. Truly lucky, and sometimes a team needs luck. I thought they might get blown out before the game started, but was pleasantly surprised to see them hanging in there. GO GREEN!
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

A team's strength of schedule is one of the most pertinent considerations for the committee in making its selections .Other factors that the committee weighs are conference championships, team records, and head-to-head results.

all these "considerations" are why NCAA Football needs to figure out a way for a Championship that somehow follows the MarchMadness model. strength of schedule sounds like a good measurement but it can be deceiving and unreliable.

• Options
    Good one tonight with Cal v. UCLA. Go Bruins!
  • Options
    Looks as if the UCLANS played up to expectations

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    tough way to go seminoles.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Good games start tonight. Two on the schedule....
  • Options
    Another exciting weekend in college football. The miracle Miami win and Michigan, Notre Dame, and Stanford dodged bullets.