Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 college football thread

1151617181921»

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After Bosa's sophomore season I thought he may have a chance. He was better as a sophomore.

The trouble with statistics is that they tend to only measure what a player does in terms of yards they gain, tackles they make, etc., there isn't a statistic for how an individual player influences what the opposing Team does. Some can be neutralized and worked around while others just can't be stopped. From watching OSU games these last two years I'd say Bosa is somewhere in the middle: he can be stopped to a point but still gets his share of tackles and the affect he has on the game plan is noticeable. While it is a small sample of less than two quarters, prior to his ejection in the Notre Dame game that Team was wholly ineffective, once he came out the Irish had options that they could exploit.

two good examples in the NFL, one offensive and one defensive player.

when Jim Brown played for Cleveland one of his primary rivals was the New York Giants and linebacker Sam Huff who "shadowed" him. The Giants designed there defensive schemes with the sole purpose of trying to stop Brown. other Teams did the same with little success.

when Deion Sanders played, no one threw to his side of the field or to the receiver he was covering, he "shutdown" whatever side of the field he was working on. it used to make me crazy because guys always looked open. Sanders had such great closing speed that on the rare throws he could make any separation and influence the play.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. A 1000 post thread in the Sports Forum!

As far as my statement on Bosa---

I watch every OSU game via live or on tape. IMHO he was better as a sophomore. More disruptive. Impact on nearly every snap. I'm throwing out the stats just going by the eye test. There were several games this year where I hardly noticed him. Coming into this year I really was pulling for him to win the Heisman. I wanted him to be the first primarily defensive player to win the Heisman since Woodson. I thought he had a good shot with a wide open field.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter

Originally posted by: garnettstyle

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/ ... n-42935156

Buckeyes have #1 recruiting class again.

Not so fast my friend. Signing day is February 3. Bama will get at least 2 more 5 stars, maybe more. They are rated #10 per 247Sports at the current time. Should be in the Top 3 in the end. Bama is getting the #1 and #2 JC players also, OL and DL.

You Duckeyes better watch out for Michigan, they're on the rise and will probably sign the # 1 player in the nation. I noticed in your quote that you said "#1 recruiting class again". With all that top ranked talent seems like y'all would have beat MSU.

**** Bama is a 14 point favorite against USC in next years opener. You know what Garnett, we are going to win 3-4 National Championships in a row. #1 is in the book, and we are gonna be better next year and really loaded in '17. Ain't no stoppin' us.

Michigan did end up signing the number one rated player in the nation today. (Rashan Gary)

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Looks like the Alabama will end up with the top recruiting class.

#1 Alabama

#2 Florida State

#3 L.S.U.

#4 Ohio State

#5 Michigan

as of 3:45pm today and today was National signing day

mark
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

#1 Alabama
    #2 Florida State
    #3 L.S.U.
    #4 Ohio State
    #5 Michigan

mark

Not sure what website you were looking at. I heard it was:

#1 Ohio State
    #2 Ohio State
    #3 Ohio State
    #4 Ohio State
    #5 Ohio State
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I assume ESPN is wrong because they do not have Ohio State #1. WTF!?

1Florida State+225

2Alabama+725

3LSU-223

4Ole Miss 24

5Ohio State-325

6Michigan-128

7Georgia 20

8Clemson 22

9Auburn+121

10Texas+2224

11USC+520

12Florida-625

13Stanford-225

14Tennessee+321

15UCLA+429

16Notre Dame-423

17Baylor-422

18Penn State-320

19Miami (FL)-518

20Texas A&M-222

21Michigan State-119

22TCU-123

23Oklahoma-120

24Arkansas-120

25Arizona State-118
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

#1 Alabama
    #2 Florida State
    #3 L.S.U.
    #4 Ohio State
    #5 Michigan

mark

Mark, looks like the Michigan and OSU games are going to be very good the next few years...Go Michigan. Getting Gary was huge, he'll eat up offensive linemen freeing up the LBs.

Next up is Spring practice and the Spring games which will be on ESPN. At Alabma all eyes will be on the QBs. We finally have some very good young talent this year. Look out for Blake Barnett, he is the QB from California that led our scout team this year.

Can't wait for next year, some great games on tap.
  • Options
    Not sure what website you were looking at. I heard it was:

#1 Ohio State
    #2 Ohio State
    #3 Ohio State
    #4 Ohio State
    #5 Ohio State

Hahahaha...Larry, that's funny.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

The committee made the correct choice. Ohio State is on the outside looking in. Not good enough to crack even the top 4. The sports world is littered with "if this" or "had this happened." Maybe next year. Case closed.

Garnettstyle says:

Oklahoma was not a better team than Ohio State. They got hammered by Clemson. Ohio State destroyed both Michigan and Notre Dame. Committee did not pick the 4 best teams. They were wrong.

Mark says: Ohio State end the season the #7 team by the committee and both polls I believe. Stanford finished ahead of OSU at season end and AFTER the bowl season. So if anybody had a beef it was Stanford.

Yep. Just looked it up. Stanford finished ahead of OSU. Glad they got that right.

Anyways, who cares now. Non event.

mark
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The committee made the correct choice. Ohio State is on the outside looking in. Not good enough to crack even the top 4. The sports world is littered with "if this" or "had this happened." Maybe next year. Case closed.

Garnettstyle says:

Oklahoma was not a better team than Ohio State. They got hammered by Clemson. Ohio State destroyed both Michigan and Notre Dame. Committee did not pick the 4 best teams. They were wrong.

Mark says: Ohio State end the season the #7 team by the committee and both polls I believe. Stanford finished ahead of OSU at season end and AFTER the bowl season. So if anybody had a beef it was Stanford.

mark

Wrong Stanford finished at #3 just a few votes ahead of the Ohio State who finished #4. Even though Stanford at 2 losses(barely beat Notre Dame at home) didn't deserve to finish ahead of Ohio State. Buckeyes finished at #3 in the computers and sagarin.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Garnettstyle says:

mark

Wrong Stanford finished at #3 just a few votes ahead of the Ohio State who finished #4. Even though Stanford at 2 losses(barely beat Notre Dame at home) didn't deserve to finish ahead of Ohio State. Buckeyes finished at #3 in the computers and sagarin.

Wrong how? Where? I said Stanford finished ahead of OSU. Both in the regular season and after the bowl season. All true.

Reread again and settle down. Rest up,for next season. You will need it. It's going to be a long long year for you. 2016 brings us Oklahoma vs Ohio State right out of the gate.

• Options
    Not too worried about Oklahoma. Urban has yet to lose a road game at Ohio State.

• Options

Moving garnettstyle delusional college comments to the delusional 2015 college thread where it belongs in case someone what's to respond there

His delusional baseball comments will remain intact in this thread for posterity. Homers get so emotional. Somewhere deep in a bunker on the Ohio- Pennslyvania border garnettstyle stews. 17-14.

mark

17-14 is a lot better than 42-13 lol.

Of course as a ohio state hater you always bring up their one loss, but never bring up Alabama's one loss.

Losing is losing. I'm sure Michigan fans hurt after the OSU loss. If sure OSU fans hurt after the MSU game. Who hurt more? No difference

Stand on line to hate ohio state. That's just about everybody
  • Options

Not too worried about Oklahoma. Urban has yet to lose a road game at Ohio State.

Get used to it
  • Options

That's because y'all haven't played quality teams during the regular season.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter

That's because y'all haven't played quality teams during the regular season.

Nah, they play quality teams every season in a conference that had the most ranked teams last year.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 1:01AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Originally posted by: larryallen73
    I think "we" as fans put so much stock in wins/losses and "big" wins create momentum in the standings and are fandom (see Michigan State). Though strength of schedule gets mentioned I think it gets short shrift. Would Iowa be 12-0 if they played UCLA's schedule for example? I tend to doubt it. I had been guilty of this myself recently disregarding Stanford with their two losses. However, as I think more about it they lost to two decent teams (Oregon and NW) but they beat several very good teams (Utah, UCLA, USC and ND). The NW loss was a shock to them as they clearly weren't ready for NW to be better than they expected. NW's future opponents were ready! Oregon has been peaking lately so that loss is hardly a bad loss. Plus the low level Pac 12 teams like Cal, UW and Washington State are all tough. I could see the committee jumping Stanford up to 4 if Clemson or Alabama lose.

@garnettstyle said

I just think a 2 loss team should not be ranked ahead of any one loss team. Stanford lost to the big 10's 5th best team. I think Iowa would have an easy road if they had UCLA's schedule because the Pac 12 has no teams with great defenses. Stanford barely beat a struggling Notre Dame who was overwhelmed with injuries. If they make the playoffs, they will be exposed.

From the immortal 2015 thread right before they announced the final four

m

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the great recruiting class the Buckeyes have and the impressive victories they will have there can be no doubt it could only be anti OSU bias that will keep them out of the 2018 playoffs.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph