Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Clemson #1 in AP, Ohio State #1 in coaches poll.

Big Ten has 6 ranked teams.

North Carolina finally gets some respect at #17.

Michigan State should still be undefeated.

Alabama losing to a unranked team should be left out of the top 6.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

Things have changed. Fun day in college football! My projected top 10:

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Baylor

Iowa

Oklahoma State

LSU

Stanford

Utah

Nice top ten. I'll try this:

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Baylor

Oklahoma State

Stanford

LSU

Iowa

Utah/Florida

Six through nine could be coins flips but I'll go this way as it seems the committee is valuing who they have beat rather then then just wins over lesser opponents

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Oklahoma State feeling the love in new polls.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Roll Tide....doubt they cover this weekend vs Mississippi State
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Big Ten followers:

MSU still has OSU, Northwestern and Penn State on the schedule

MSU looses one more game... does not really matter to who for the moment.

OSU still has a game in Champaign, MSU followed by Michigan

Iowa looks be in control in the West...

UM has Indiana, Penn State and OSU...

What if UM runs the table and beats Iowa? Does a two loss UM team make the playoffs? Does the Big Ten get shut out of the playoffs? Be careful what you wish for...

This could happen.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Originally posted by: coinkat

What if UM runs the table and beats Iowa? Does a two loss UM team make the playoffs? Does the Big Ten get shut out of the playoffs? Be careful what you wish for...

This could happen.

MSU doesn't have Northwestern they have Maryland instead. But good point regardless. I think Iowa may have problems with Nebraska but yes in theory they have three lay ups left.

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

This could happen.

yes in theory they have three lay ups left.

As does Alabama.

• Options

Yah, Alabama plays at the number 20 team in the county next week. Only helps their strength of schedule.

Iowa finishes against teams 4-5, 2-7 and 4-6. Yes, it's the same. Wow.

mark
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we wear ourselves out arguing about a dozen Teams that can claim, for one reason or another, that they should be in the Playoff?? I just did a little figuring and a 16 Team Playoff would really make sense and be "doable" if the NCAA leadership just had some sack and told the schools how it was going to be. If each of the FBS Conferences had a champion along with 5 at large Teams everyone would have nothing much to complain about. Adjust schedules so the Championship games are Thanksgiving weekend and then start the Playoff round that would crown a National Champ in early January the same as we do now.

In reality there would still be plenty to debate as Teams that lose out at the Conference level scramble to win the popularity contest of an "at large" ticket. From my perspective it would erase a really negative way that things always seem to end for many really good one-loss Teams.

As for the Top Four this Tuesday and the next six hopefuls:

Clemson

Alabama

Baylor

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Stanford

LSU

Iowa

Oklahoma State

Florida
  • Options

Yah, Alabama plays at the number 20 team in the county next week. Only helps their strength of schedule.

mark

Alabama plays...get this...Charleston Southern. Oh boy image

• Options
    Originally posted by: keets

Do we wear ourselves out arguing about a dozen Teams that can claim, for one reason or another, that they should be in the Playoff?? I just did a little figuring and a 16 Team Playoff would really make sense and be "doable" if the NCAA leadership just had some sack and told the schools how it was going to be. If each of the FBS Conferences had a champion along with 5 at large Teams everyone would have nothing much to complain about. Adjust schedules so the Championship games are Thanksgiving weekend and then start the Playoff round that would crown a National Champ in early January the same as we do now.

In reality there would still be plenty to debate as Teams that lose out at the Conference level scramble to win the popularity contest of an "at large" ticket. From my perspective it would erase a really negative way that things always seem to end for many really good one-loss Teams.

As for the Top Four this Tuesday and the next six hopefuls:

Clemson

Alabama

Baylor

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Stanford

LSU

Iowa

Oklahoma State

Florida

I would love it. Maybe shorten the regular season to 11 teams to allow for it easier. Your top ten looks good too.

mark

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

mark

At 8-1 albeit against lesser competition they could probably hang with Purdue who Iowa plays that week. But just in case you didn't notice Alabama plays number 20 on the road first and end with The Iron Bowl at Auburn. I will explain this to you out of courtesy. Having been to an Iron Bowl and countless Michigan-OSU games the rivalry is exactly the same. Throw the records out the window. Free lesson my friend. You can thank me later

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    ...and end with The Iron Bowl at Auburn. I will explain this to you out of courtesy. Having been to an Iron Bowl and countless Michigan-OSU games the rivalry is exactly the same. Throw the records out the window. Free lesson my friend. You can thank me later

mark

Having grown up in LA going to UCLA v. USC every year the truth in your statement is so accurate out here too... just like for all the rivalry games. The rest of the season doesn't matter if you can pull the guys together and win that one. In fact, the "underdog" really comes in with an advantage in those games. Their season can suck but they know if they win that one the season ends on a positive note and they get local bragging rights. Alabama will not have it easy with Auburn. Fun stuff!
  • Options
    Only Top 20 match ups this week

Baylor vs Oklahoma ( elimination game )

Alabama vs Mississippi State

mark
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    So let's see who comes closest to picking the final 4, not the 4 tomorrow but the 4 teams that make the "playoffs".

In no particular order, mine are:
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma

I've got Iowa getting close but losing in the Big 10 Conference Champ game against the Wolverines, and the two loss Pac champ Stanford Cardinal getting left out as well. Oklahoma doing a meteoric rise up through the standings as they get way too much credit for dumping Baylor, TCU, and Okie State.

What say you? (Not about mine, but who is your projected playoff 4)
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

mark

At 8-1 albeit against lesser competition they could probably hang with Purdue who Iowa plays that week. But just in case you didn't notice Alabama plays number 20 on the road first and end with The Iron Bowl at Auburn. I will explain this to you out of courtesy. Having been to an Iron Bowl and countless Michigan-OSU games the rivalry is exactly the same. Throw the records out the window. Free lesson my friend. You can thank me later

mark

FPI says Alabama has a 99% chance to beat Charleston so I would say yes its lesser competition. Miss state is just another overranked sec team like texas a@m and ole miss. Auburn almost lost to Jacksonville state.

• Options
    Originally posted by: thenavarro
    So let's see who comes closest to picking the final 4, not the 4 tomorrow but the 4 teams that make the "playoffs".

In no particular order, mine are:
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma

I've got Iowa getting close but losing in the Big 10 Conference Champ game against the Wolverines, and the two loss Pac champ Stanford Cardinal getting left out as well. Oklahoma doing a meteoric rise up through the standings as they get way too much credit for dumping Baylor, TCU, and Okie State.

What say you? (Not about mine, but who is your projected playoff 4)

My projected 4:

Ohio State
    Alabama
    Stanford
    North Carolina

• Options
    My projected Top 4: Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa and Michigan

mark
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    My projected 4:

1) Alabama

2) Clemson

3) Ohio State

4) Notre Dame
  • Options

mark

• Options
    On 9/21 I predicted my final 4 of:

Alabama
    TCU
    Michigan State
    UCLA

That's not looking so good now with Alabama being the only likely. As of today I'll predict:

Alabama
    Clemson
    Michigan State (but I hope it's Iowa)
    Notre Dame

LONG way to go....
  • Options

WOW, the Funny emoticon doesn't even do this one justice........................it's classic!!!

my final four in no specific order....................

Clemson

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Stanford
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

WOW, the Funny emoticon doesn't even do this one justice........................it's classic!!!

my final four in no specific order....................
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State
    Stanford

Since Notre Dame and Stanford are playing each other the last game of the season, there is almost 0 chance both of these teams get in the playoffs. And I'm surprised so many people here think ND is going to beat Stanford when Stanford will probably be favored at home.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Big 10 Champion probably goes regardless. Same with SEC. I don't

think any Big 12 team will be undefeated and they will not be in.

Clemson needs to win every game. They are currently #1 because of their win over ND

and ND's only loss being to Clemson 24-22 helps ND, currently at #5. They need each

other.

So, thinking way ahead, I have Big 10 winner, SEC winner, Clemson and ND/Stamford winner,

assuming ND and Stamford are undefeated when they meet.

I don't care about Nebraska or Michigan State, but I think that "pushed out" call was a bad call.

I am an ND fan, but beating ND would go a long way for Wake or BC.
  • Options
    oops.................
  • Options
    Iowa-Minnesota play for the Floyd of Rosedale trophy- this is a huge game for both schools with Minnesota holding a reasonable lead in the series. There have been national ramifications in this series with the 1960 game being quite significant.

Illinois and Ohio State play for the Illnibuck trophy which is the second oldest trophy game in the conference next to the Little Brown Jug. While Ohio State is a 16 point favorite, this series has hand some great games- I still remember the 1968 game. OSU built up a 24-0 halftime lead only to see Illinois respond with three TDs followed by 2 point conversions after each score to tie the game at 24. OSU went on to win 31-24 and won the National championship. This was an Illinois team that was destroyed earlier in the season by Notre Dame, Missouri and Kansas.

My point is simple- anything can happen in either of these games. And those outside the Big Ten need to appreciate what is at stake. This is not about style points and all the modern play-off crap. These traditions are too important to be reduced to the new order of the NCAA.

• Options
    New Top 10:

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

ND

Iowa

Baylor

Stanford

Ok State

LSU

Utah

Reaction!?
  • Options
    Got no problem with it.

Baylor and Alabama have top 20 matches ups this week so there will be changes next week.

mark

• Options
    Alabama ahead of Ohio State lol. I guess the committee forgot about Zeke's 230 yard performance in the sugar bowl when Alabama was #1.

And don't give me the last years results don't mean anything bullcrap. Its clearly a double standard putting them ahead of all the undefeated teams. They didn't put Ohio State in the top 4 last year after they beat Michigan state. This committee is a farce.

• Options
    a few points.....................

--- I will confess ignorance in not knowing that Stanford and ND play each other at season's end: will you guys allow me to edit my final four picks??

--- it appears that the "committee" has a similar view when it comes to both Baylor and Ohio State. Baylor seemed to have the undeniable top Offense and slowed when they lost one player --- OSU is clearly a different team with JTB playing and he'll almost certainly run things for the rest of their games. both Teams should probably be higher than are.

--- although I expected Alabama to be ahead of Ohio State it defies logic, placing a one-loss Team ahead of the defending National Champion(and other undefeated's) in the throes of a 22 game winning streak.

Just like all pro sports, I think a season of College Football is really about the peak, when a Team seems to hit its stride and plays to the top of its ability. an example of a Team that peaked early this year is Michigan while OSU peaked at just the right time last year. it allowed them to beat Oregon who played at a peak level for the entire season, right?? I wonder if Baylor might have had a small letdown last "weak" and now will rise back and play at the level they had been at? this Saturday should answer my questions, I just wish I didn't have to work and had 6-7 TV's so I could watch multiple games.

• Options
    No games look too exciting tonight. U$C plays Friday night. Then it's Saturday! Woooo whooo! Let's roll!
  • Options
    Indiana-UM overtime- tune in now

• Options
    Alabama win over LSU not looking so good.

• Options
    My current top 10

1. Ohio State

2. Clemson

3. Iowa

4. Oklahoma State

5. Alabama

6. Michigan state

7. Houston

8. Oklahoma

9. Notre Dame

10. North Carolina

• Options
    Alabama win over LSU not looking so good.

I had made a general comment a few pages earlier in response to Mark's Strength of Schedule post and this is exactly the type of thing I was alluding to. Though we didn't realize it at the time, LSU is apparently weaker than suspected and Alabama benefitted from that with a win over them. I suspect that the SEC bias will prevail and Alabama will either stand pat or move up. Already that bias is showing in the media: Alabama's 31-6 "shellacking" vs. Ohio State with a 28-3 win that "held serve" for them. It is observational comedy.

What became clearer this weekend isn't who's in but who's out. With the losses that took place it now appears to be a six horse race:

Clemson

Alabama

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Iowa

Oklahoma State

Unless I missed something, only five of the six can make it through the Conference Championship round undefeated with either Ohio State or Iowa coming out of that game and being a Top Four Team. Next week will be good, maybe two Teams fall and clear it up some. It is entirely likely that OSU could lose in the next two weeks and then eliminate Iowa in the Championship game.

What fun!!!
  • Options
    Another interesting scenario would be North Carolina beating Clemson in the ACC Championship game... Then what??

Iowa gets Floyd back, the Illinibuck trophy stays in Columbus and UM survives an amazing game with Indiana.

November and early December should be entertaining... I have this feeling that at the end of this season more questions will remain unanswered-

Wouldn't it be great to see North Carolina and UM play in the Title game? (FTR, I am not predicting it, but it seems within the realm of what is possible...)

• Options
    My new top 4:

Alabama

Ohio State

Clemson

ND

Then:

Iowa

OK State

Then... geez I don't know... teams needing a lot of help:

Florida

Michigan State

TCU

Baylor

Looks like the Pac 12 champ is out of the playoffs and rightly so. A two loss Stanford team doesn't seem playoff worthy to me.

As stated above what if UNC beats Clemson in the ACC championship game? I don't think either of them get into the playoffs.
  • Options
    Well, should NC beat Clemson (and that is a tall order...) with Clemson standing in the top spot... why not? The NC loss was the first game of the season and they have played well most, if not all, of their games since...

We don't really have to worry about this scenario until it happens. But based on numbers and what seems to be considered for this playoff system, it seem difficult to deny NC a spot in the play-offs as ACC Champs. It will be hard to deny a UM team with two losses an opportunity as well.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Options
    My Top Eight and I think the committee will agree ; )

Clemson

Alabama

OSU

Notre Dame

Iowa

OSU

Oklahoma

Florida

Not sure how they will treat 9 and 10. Probably MSU at 9. Michigan or Baylor might be 10.

With Alabama's dominate win at Starksville I don't see any reason why Ohio State would jump them. While OSU is 10-0 they have the 101st ranked RPI strength of schedule ( Sagarin 67th) and no signature wins. Their best win is against Penn State at home. It will improve the next two weeks. Beat somebody first before and then maybe they can get out of the third spot.

Maybe just maybe Alabama jumps Clemson this week.

I can't see Iowa jumping ND either with a 40-35 home win against a very average Minnesota team. Matter of fact the Big Teams will have a hard time getting more then 7 teams to 6 wins to qualify for Bowls.

Nebraska has this week off to prepare for Iowa at home and they will need to win to get to a bowl. I'm liking Nebraska to upset Iowa.

Probable elimination games for next week MSU- against OSU. Baylor-Oklahoma State & TCU-Oklahoma set set also to be elimination games.

Mark

• Options
    Well, should NC beat Clemson (and that is a tall order...) with Clemson standing in the top spot... why not? The NC loss was the first game of the season and they have played well most, if not all, of their games since...

We don't really have to worry about this scenario until it happens. But based on numbers and what seems to be considered for this playoff system, it seem difficult to deny NC a spot in the play-offs as ACC Champs. It will be hard to deny a UM team with two losses an opportunity as well.

Be careful what you wish for...

I can't imagine a two loss UM team getting into the playoffs. What, after their big overtime win against Indiana? Lol. Sure, it could happen but lots of other teams would have to lose. I would take two loss Utah before two loss UM.
  • Options
    UM has lost 2 games and they obviously need to run the table and beat Iowa in the Big Ten Championship for any consideration for a spot in the playoffs. So even if they beat OSU and Iowa, that's not good enough because they had a tough game with Indiana - as did Iowa and Ohio State? Sorry... I think the Utah argument fails to pass the strait face test. Yes Utah beat UM which as the first game of the season for both teams at Utah, but if this scenario plays out, UM will have beaten OSU and Iowa.

• Options
    I can't imagine a Big Ten team being shut out of the play-offs given the fact that OSU is the defending National Champs

• Options
    UM has lost 2 games and they obviously need to run the table and beat Iowa in the Big Ten Championship for any consideration for a spot in the playoffs. So even if they beat OSU and Iowa, that's not good enough because they had a tough game with Indiana - as did Iowa and Ohio State? Sorry... I think the Utah argument fails to pass the strait face test. Yes Utah beat UM which as the first game of the season for both teams at Utah, but if this scenario plays out, UM will have beaten OSU and Iowa.

I hear ya but the straight up game should mean more I would think, no!?

As for your comment about the Big 10 being shut out. I don't think they will be shut out. However, the comment about last year being relevant I don't know. I would hope that last year is irrelevant. Why should it matter?
  • Options
    Any Big Ten champ will probably be in.

If it did come down to North Carolina with a win over Clemson, I don't see how the committee could put Notre dame over them considering Notre Dame lost to Clemson.

• Options
    A lot of football left to be played. So fun

mark
  • Options

• Options
    I suppose last year has some relevance in that OSU was the National Champions and they still have not lost yet...

Keep in mind, all I have written are just possible scenarios... nothing more... nothing less.

• Options
    Not that is matters much anymore but the AP has the following top ten

Clemson

OSU

Alabama

OSU

Notre Dame

Iowa

Oklahoma

Florida

MSU

Baylor

mark

• Options
    I suppose last year has some relevance in that OSU was the National Champions and they still have not lost yet...

Keep in mind, all I have written are just possible scenarios... nothing more... nothing less.

I don't understand the last year relevance. In a sport where 25% of the players are new each year, on average, how could last year matter? OSU could be the champion again for sure but I don't see why they should get a boost in the standings for what they did last year. Looking at their schedule they have played nobody so far... THIS year. They have won all the games but played nobody. If they beat UM and MSU then I'll be impressed. Not yet for me. As stated above there's a ton more football to play though. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Last year is not supposed to matter. It does play into the AP and Coaches Poll tough as they have pre season polls so several teams start out at an advantage or disadvantage if you will.

The committee starts out fresh every single polling. At least that's what they state.

mark