Home Precious Metals
Options

New Safety Deposit Box regulations?

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who uses the system pays for every service they get, except for the government, et.al., They charge it and just raise the debt ceiling, but now we are out of the safety deposit regulations and back to the budget and finance committees dealing with those who have neither the wherewithal to budget, or the means to finance what they do. It's all so convoluted here in the precious metal's forum.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point being that it's pretty clear the US govt is tracking cash. It's also pretty clear that the banks and government would like to go 100% electronic. Who wouldn't, when you can rake 3% off the top for every transaction for doing exactly nothing, or when you can tap into a mass of bank accounts to cover overspending or charge negative interest for "safekeeping" your money? What a racket.

Putting everything on plastic and going 100% electronic is convenient, for everyone. More convenient for retailers, bankers, thieves, government taxing agencies, and even consumers. I simply don't think it's a good idea to eliminate cash or to scrutinize people's preference for cash regardless of the amount - for multiple reasons.

I also think that if the terms of a safe deposit box aren't to your liking because it prohibits the keeping of cash or precious metals, it's a bit crazy to store them in that bank.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess another solution would be not to bank with someone you don't trust. If you not trust the banking system as a whole then don't use banks or limit your participation in them. I would respect that. I've always advocated becoming your own central bank.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text when you can rake 3% off the top for every transaction for doing exactly nothing, or when you can tap into a mass of bank accounts to cover overspending or charge negative interest for "safekeeping" your money?

Yes, this would be troublesome if true, but it is not. Do not let your fears develop your reality. No entity is taking your money and you are not being charged a negative interest rate.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Do not let your fears develop your reality. No entity is taking your money and you are not being charged a negative interest rate. >>

Good thing the free world did not wait to react until after the nazis conquered the world.

Feel free to let your fears determine your reality.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    It always reverts back to Hitler and the Nazis, doesn't it?

You actually think Hitler would have taken over the world?

FACT--no depositors are being charged negative interest rates. Damn truth...just doesn't sell newsletters and fear like in the good old days. Lol

indeed, the decision to live in fear is a personal one.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It always reverts back to Hitler and the Nazis, doesn't it? >>

It makes for great headlines... Just like: "If Napoleon wasn't defeated at Waterloo.....we'd all be speaking French."image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never had an issue with depositing or withdrawing large amounts of cash from the bank. Being that I'm not an arms or drug dealer made it stress less. My banker basically told me that what the really authorities frowned upon was " structuring". Deliberately making deposits or withdrawals right under $10,000 to avoid reporting. I'm not a fan of this regulation but I don't find it to be a deal breaker.

Mark >>

Mark is correct, structuring is exactly what they are most concerned with and go after. I recently know of a case where a person who was a legitimate and very successful professional was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He and his wife for whatever reason started making repeated withdrawals of $9000 each from multiple banks where they had accounts. The Feds are prosecuting the case....not because any of the money was illegally acquired but because of the deliberate pattern of acting to avoid the reporting requirerments.....that act itself is illegal.
    I don't agree with the Fed's action here but it is the law.
    So, even if you are legit, do not deposit or withdraw under $10,000 repeatedly. That act itself is likely to get you prosecuted.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It always reverts back to Hitler and the Nazis, doesn't it?

FACT--no depositors are being charged negative interest rates. Damn truth...just doesn't sell newsletters and fear like in the good old days. Lol

indeed, the decision to live in fear is a personal one. >>

Hold on a second image If it doesn't earn positive interest and there is a monthly fee for the account the effect is equivalent to negative interest.

Telling people the fee will be waived if they have 500 in the account is twisting their arm to leave money in a place where its dead.

Do the math on a 9 dollar fee if you dip below 500. Isn't that a negative 21% interest? maybe I'm wrong I woke up at 4am
  • Options
    He and his wife for whatever reason started making repeated withdrawals of $9000 each from multiple banks where they had accounts. The Feds are prosecuting the case....not because any of the money was illegally acquired but because of the deliberate pattern of acting to avoid the reporting requirerments.....that act itself is illegal.

Laws layered upon laws and now honest people are being targeted. What you've described is *exactly* the problem.

And this type of garbage only seems to expand and never gets retracted. The last thing a cancer patient needs is this kind of stress.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never had an issue with depositing or withdrawing large amounts of cash from the bank. Being that I'm not an arms or drug dealer made it stress less. My banker basically told me that what the really authorities frowned upon was " structuring". Deliberately making deposits or withdrawals right under $10,000 to avoid reporting. I'm not a fan of this regulation but I don't find it to be a deal breaker.

Mark >>

Mark is correct, structuring is exactly what they are most concerned with and go after. I recently know of a case where a person who was a legitimate and very successful professional was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He and his wife for whatever reason started making repeated withdrawals of $9000 each from multiple banks where they had accounts. The Feds are prosecuting the case....not because any of the money was illegally acquired but because of the deliberate pattern of acting to avoid the reporting requirerments.....that act itself is illegal.
    So, even if you are legit, do not deposit or withdraw under $10,000 repeatedly. That act itself is likely to get you prosecuted. >>

So why again was it the Feds business when they withdrew under 10 and didn't just withdraw 100k??? Lol, what a joke...
    Oh because if you own your car you have to wear a seatbelt... Oh, ok that makes sense...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

There is nothing immoral about structuring or refusing to pay taxes , its merely a defense against the over reach of a bankrupt government. The state that strangles a man for selling loose cigarettes is the immoral party .

Wanna cut taxes ? fire 50% of government workers and see if anyone even notices , if they don't fire 50% more. If all those people were off the books technically the unemployment rate would double overnight but would people be able to tell?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "The last thing a cancer patient needs is this kind of stress. "

He died a week after the Feds charged him and his wife.
    The Feds are continuing to charge and prosecute the wife!
    Again, the Feds admit there is no evidence the money was illegally obtained.
    Their charge is "structuring".
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The last thing a cancer patient needs is this kind of stress. "

He died a week after the Feds charged him and his wife.
    The Feds are continuing to charge and prosecute the wife!
    Again, the Feds admit there is no evidence the money was illegally obtained.
    Their charge is "structuring". >>

you mean the charge is telling people how they can withdraw their own money?...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is nothing immoral about structuring or refusing to pay taxes >>

Then there's also nothing immoral about revoking the citizenship of those who do this.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is nothing immoral about structuring or refusing to pay taxes >>

Then there's also nothing immoral about revoking the citizenship of those who do this. >>

Sheep need to be around if you want to shear them when you shoo them away you don't get any wool
  • Options
    The whole Tax Code is about structuring. If you can afford a tax attorney and have enough assets to justify paying for the tax advice, you can structure all day long to avoid paying taxes - legally and without fear of loss of citizenship.

There's always been a double standard with different rules for the rulemakers (and their wealthy cronies) than for the ruled.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It the case of this couple they would have been better served taking out over 10k when required and just reporting it. Also, why wouldn't of they just wrote checks instead? Problem solved

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It the case of this couple they would have been better served taking out over 10k when required and just reporting it. Also, why wouldn't of they just wrote checks instead? Problem solved

Mark >>

Is it not the financial institution's responsibility to do all of the reporting, even suspicion of structuring?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>

Hold on a second image If it doesn't earn positive interest and there is a monthly fee for the account the effect is equivalent to negative interest.

Telling people the fee will be waived if they have 500 in the account is twisting their arm to leave money in a place where its dead.

Do the math on a 9 dollar fee if you dip below 500. Isn't that a negative 21% interest? maybe I'm wrong I woke up at 4am >>

I get your point, but it still isnt a negative interest rate. Maybe a negative investment return after fees, but you are still being paid to store your money at the bank.

• Options

you are being encouraged to tie up money in an account that pays a fraction of a percent and the fees are used as a club to enforce it. Drop below that threshold for a portion of a month and you will wipe out a whole years interest.

These banks aren't loaning out anywhere near the amounts they used to. They will the money into existence anyway when they write a loan so why do they need my deposits at all? Why twist my arm with a monthly fee?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It the case of this couple they would have been better served taking out over 10k when required and just reporting it. Also, why wouldn't of they just wrote checks instead? Problem solved

Mark >>

Is it not the financial institution's responsibility to do all of the reporting, even suspicion of structuring? >>

I'm not sure I follow you. I just don't understand why this couple wasn't writing checks instead to Drs and hospitals in this case.

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>you are being encouraged to tie up money in an account that pays a fraction of a percent and the fees are used as a club to enforce it. Drop below that threshold for a portion of a month and you will wipe out a whole years interest.

These banks aren't loaning out anywhere near the amounts they used to. They will the money into existence anyway when they write a loan so why do they need my deposits at all? Why twist my arm with a monthly fee? >>

I really don't think 0.25% interest is encouraging anyone.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark >>

Is it not the financial institution's responsibility to do all of the reporting, even suspicion of structuring? >>

I'm not sure I follow you. I just don't understand why this couple wasn't writing checks instead to Drs and hospitals in this case.

Mark >>

Wild guess is that they were listening to a talk radio / internet source who told them to fear gov't and do it this way. Or they were actually doing shady business and it hasn't come out yet. There's more to this story.

Edit to ask - is there any proof of this story at all, btw? I can't find anything about it on the internets.
  • Options

I was actually thinking around 300 it was odd that no one evoked Godwin's Law yet.

Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches------​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism. Despite being described as universal regarding the subject of the discussion, Godwin's law is more likely to be applicable to social topics (including politics, law, religion, etc.).
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edit to ask - is there any proof of this story at all, btw? I can't find anything about it on the internets. >>

If it's discussed in the PM forum, it must be true ... This is a serious website with hard hitting and truthful arguments. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

I was actually thinking around 300 it was odd that no one evoked Godwin's Law yet.

Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches------​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism. Despite being described as universal regarding the subject of the discussion, Godwin's law is more likely to be applicable to social topics (including politics, law, religion, etc.). >>

The loss of forum member Mglicker sometimes unfortunately means it takes 300 posts to work Hitler into a thread . image

We are doing the best we can in here but we are short handed
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches------​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism. Despite being described as universal regarding the subject of the discussion, Godwin's law is more likely to be applicable to social topics (including politics, law, religion, etc.). >>

The loss of forum member Mglicker sometimes unfortunately means it takes 300 posts to work Hitler into a thread . image

We are doing the best we can in here but we are short handed >>

Glicker had much more stamina then even Stan. We are probably going to have to work in shifts to compensate.

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>He and his wife for whatever reason started making repeated withdrawals of $9000 each from multiple banks where they had accounts. The Feds are prosecuting the case....not because any of the money was illegally acquired but because of the deliberate pattern of acting to avoid the reporting requirerments.....that act itself is illegal.

Laws layered upon laws and now honest people are being targeted. What you've described is *exactly* the problem.

And this type of garbage only seems to expand and never gets retracted. The last thing a cancer patient needs is this kind of stress. >>

Oh, some on here don't care. They enjoy being slaves. Some even thank their masters for removing their rights, at the same time pointing and snickering and muttering "tin foil hats" under their breath while the Republic is being destroyed.

What's next? Tickets for hitting your brakes when you see a cop because they say that act alone could mean you are potentially guilty of something?
  • Options
    why would you ever hit your breaks when you see a cop unless you're breakign the law?

can you name the slaves stan? I'd like to know.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not "anybody's" business. I'd tell some dude off the street to hit the road or he's gonna get a bloody nose because he's nosy.

It absolutely IS "they"re business if they're "authorities" or if they are charged with duties by "the authorities"

those same customs people have also asked me what I'm carrying, and have looked through my baggage. I could tell you great stories about going to "secondary" when crossing borders.

Those guys are doing their jobs, and I thank them and solute them. (so few do) >>

You solute them, LOLOL? What do you dissolve them in, pisswater? Also it is their business, not they're business. They are/they're in the business to make it their business.
  • Options

<< <i>What I don't understand, jmski, is, DOES the government "question" you? IS ANYONE "demanding that I prove where I got the money, why I'm depositing or withdrawing it, or deciding to confiscate it for any reason?"

No one ever asks me a damned thing, or makes me "prove" anything. I question why anyone is asking YOU anything, WHO is asking, and WHAT they are asking about.

Or are you just mad that they "might" or "could" ask? >>

They don't ask you any thing if you're not doing anything, duh! If you go to a bank to deposit a $50 check, do you really think a teller will ask you why you want to withdraw $9,000?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not "anybody's" business. I'd tell some dude off the street to hit the road or he's gonna get a bloody nose because he's nosy.

It absolutely IS "they"re business if they're "authorities" or if they are charged with duties by "the authorities"

those same customs people have also asked me what I'm carrying, and have looked through my baggage. I could tell you great stories about going to "secondary" when crossing borders.

Those guys are doing their jobs, and I thank them and solute them. (so few do) >>

You solute them, LOLOL? What do you dissolve them in, pisswater? Also it is their business, not they're business. They are/they're in the business to make it their business. >>

Grammar NAZI!

There you go, my glickertribution to this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You solute them, LOLOL? What do you dissolve them in, pisswater? Also it is their business, not they're business. They are/they're in the business to make it their business. >>

Grammar NAZI!

There you go, my glickertribution to this thread. >>

He strikes me as the sort of person who should know the difference and a and o aren't that close on the keyboard. I LMAOed on that one when I read it. Maybe he meant saloot?image

Oh and while you're at it see the one about hittin the breaks just above.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL, I saw the typo, but decided to leave it as bait, wondering which schmuck would take it. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>LoL, I saw the typo, but decided to leave it as bait, wondering which schmuck would take it. image >>

Yeah right!image

I usually fix them if I see them.
  • Options
    I have typos all the time. Damn keypad on phone is too small. Cant imagine typing on a 38mm wide watch. And my brain moves faster than my fingers so I sometimes skip words. Hmmm....maybe thats why I dont share my vision effectively. LOL

• Options

<< <i>I have typos all the time. Damn keypad on phone is too small. Cant imagine typing on a 38mm wide watch. And my brain moves faster than my fingers so I sometimes skip words. Hmmm....maybe thats why I dont share my vision effectively. LOL >>

Maybe youse could invent smoe gloves mit pointy little things on the fingertips for those afflicted with small keyboard manipulation contracture. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have typos all the time. Damn keypad on phone is too small. Cant imagine typing on a 38mm wide watch. And my brain moves faster than my fingers so I sometimes skip words. Hmmm....maybe thats why I dont share my vision effectively. LOL >>

Maybe youse could invent smoe gloves mit pointy little things on the fingertips for those afflicted with small keyboard manipulation contracture. image >>

A special mechanized glove that controls a tiny waldo that mimics the motion of the human hand? Or maybe train one of those little monkeys?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its that impotent? If i new they was gonna pour over my posts I'd right them butter.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    This thread is linked in an infowars article and Drudge is linking the infowars article

link

Report: JPMorgan Chase Bans Storage of Cash in its Safety Deposit Boxes
    Image Credits: Images Money.

by Paul Joseph Watson | April 22, 2015

"Some JPMorgan Chase customers are receiving letters informing them that the bank will no longer allow cash to be stored in safety deposit boxes.

The content of a post over on the Collectors Universe message board suggests that we may be about to see a resurgence of the old fashioned method of stuffing bank notes under the mattress.

My mother has a SDB at a Chase branch with one of my siblings as co-signers. Last week they got a letter outlining a number of changes to the lease agreement, including this:

“Contents of the box: You agree not to store any cash or coins other than those found to have a collectible value.”
  • Options

<< <i>Its that impotent? If i new they was gonna pour over my posts I'd right them butter. >>

The typo was a reel werd soesn yer spelchekker dint ketch it. I thought it was funny cuz if I reely kud solute smoeone, I'd dissolve them up and pour their arse down the drane.image

I'm finicky that way. If I see a typo of mine, I fix it. If I saw one of yours that made you look dumb, I'd probably PM you so you could discreetly fix it so you wouldn't come off looking tarded.
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is linked in an infowars article and Drudge is linking the infowars article

link

"Some JPMorgan Chase customers are receiving letters informing them that the bank will no longer allow cash to be stored in safety deposit boxes.

The content of a post over on the Collectors Universe message board suggests that we may be about to see a resurgence of the old fashioned method of stuffing bank notes under the mattress.

My mother has a SDB at a Chase branch with one of my siblings as co-signers. Last week they got a letter outlining a number of changes to the lease agreement, including this:

“Contents of the box: You agree not to store any cash or coins other than those found to have a collectible value.” >>

lololololol. I have so many sads right now that StanTheManMusial was not quoted in it. That would have made my year.
  • Options
    Thats cool....a direct link right to this thread. Man, the world is about to be awakened. Stan, you're gonna be famous!!! LOL

• Options
    I know a good agent Stan. a 3 figure book deal is imminent...
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is linked in an infowars article and Drudge is linking the infowars article

link

“Contents of the box: You agree not to store any cash or coins other than those found to have a collectible value.” >>

A better way to stash your cash.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>

link

A better way to stash your cash.

image >>

Opps, Just found this! Sorry for new thread!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats cool....a direct link right to this thread. Man, the world is about to be awakened. Stan, you're gonna be famous!!! LOL >>

Oh nooo!... THEY are watching
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats cool....a direct link right to this thread. Man, the world is about to be awakened. Stan, you're gonna be famous!!! LOL >>

Oh nooo!... THEY are watching >>

No Stan posts since the news hit. Did They get him after all? Mel Gibson flashbacks...