Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if in years to come if those special label coins that many people seem so eager to pay such ridiculous prices for will have any greater value than coins with regular labels or even raw. >>

I expect that the special labels will continue to carry a premium. They have the same appeal as expensive designer watches or exotic automobiles. They impart an air of exclusivity, even if they are functionally equivalent to their cheaper brethren.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be staying in the Hotel. I am pre-registered. That spares me one line.

I will definitely be close to the front of that line, when I get up and stroll across from the hotel via sky bridge at 6 am. >>

I'll bet there will be credentialed show-goers looking to buy Kennedy Proofs hanging out in the lobby @ 3 am staring at the gathering spot.

Eating hot dogs for breakfast.

And mustard stains on their shirts.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eating hot dogs for breakfast. >>

I'll be there too - but no hot dogs. At least not for breakfast.

• Options
    I will take pics....of the line.....hopefully the "play by play"

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,481 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I live within driving distance of Rosemont, but I can't see standing in line all day to sell these things ... to whom? If there was someone handing out cash at the grading table, that would be different. >>

Considering the RP Buff and HOF issues, there will be people in the convention center(hopefully dealer credentialed) who make on the spot offers for them.

The RP Buffs were pulling down over $200-$250 each after purchase >>

Historically speaking, nothing more needs to be said.

This is simply the way it is and as long as the US Mint continues pandering to Coin Dealers by selling these release day coins, is how it will always be.

A lottery as suggested by someone earlier, is the only way to go.

OR

Stop selling release day coins at Coin Shows.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I live within driving distance of Rosemont, but I can't see standing in line all day to sell these things ... to whom? If there was someone handing out cash at the grading table, that would be different. >>

Considering the RP Buff and HOF issues, there will be people in the convention center(hopefully dealer credentialed) who make on the spot offers for them.

This is simply the way it is and as long as the US Mint continues pandering to Coin Dealers by selling these release day coins, is how it will always be.

OR

Stop selling release day coins at Coin Shows. >>

The Mint selling at shows on release day is not the problem. The problem is with the grading companies using special labels on those coins as if it mattered that they were purchased at the show vs. online or elsewhere. If there was no special label then there would be no mad rush from those looking to flip these.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

OR

The Mint selling at shows on release day is not the problem. The problem is with the grading companies using special labels on those coins as if it mattered that they were purchased at the show vs. online or elsewhere. If there was no special label then there would be no mad rush from those looking to flip these. >>

I don't believe this since the First Strike™ label has been around since 2005 and its getting those First Strike™ PR70 coins which rake in the big bucks.

Availability of the coins to those that order online is the issue and limiting the number of coins sold at the show, simply makes getting one at the show all that more important.

You see, the coin business is all about striking while the iron is hot and this business of releasing coins at major coins shows by the US Mint creates an awfully hot iron.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    And even though the official line doesnt start until 8am, there will certainly be more than 250 there by that time lined up somewhere. And there will be a mad rush stampede from that unofficial line to the official line. Bring a helmet and pads.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even at two coins per person, they coud sell a lot of coins over three days. For thoes looking to flip quick

for a good profit, day one will be the time unless there is a reasonable limit to how many they sell at the show. >>

Announced a while ago:

...sales over 5 days

...2500 over those 5 days (500/day)...no real difference between day 1 and day 5 if submitted at the show
  • Options

<< <i>And even though the official line doesnt start until 8am, there will certainly be more than 250 there by that time lined up somewhere >>

I believe the registration line will be all jammed up.

Remember, only "credentialed" persons may enter the Kennedy line at 8am. This means you have to be registered and that starts at 8am as well.

Only pre-registered folks can enter the line directly, and skip the registration line.

If you are not pre registered, forget about day one.
  • Options
    goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

<< <i>Quite frankly I hope they duke it out over these coins and let there be some bloodied cheeks and sore noses - perhaps the mint will then stop these ridiculous show releases... >>

You will probably have to sign some kind of waiver releasing ANYONE who has anything to do with this circus for any injuries involved while purchasing these.. Isn't there something like that at BB Games about being struck by a ball or bat or other equipment??

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned this before, the Mint could have made 100,000 to be on hand, with another 100,000 stand-by at the Chicago Federal Reserve. Have all the silly show labels you want. It's not like they would lose much even if they had to melt remainders. Line up all day long and buy as many as you want. The powers that be want a frenzy, goofy procedures aren't going to stop it.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint selling at shows on release day is not the problem. The problem is with the grading companies using special labels on those coins as if it mattered that they were purchased at the show vs. online or elsewhere. If there was no special label then there would be no mad rush from those looking to flip these. >>

Exactly!

...and regarding FS...it is available to EVERYONE who sends in ANY amount of coins ANYTIME during the first 30 days of Mint shipping.

The "special" show labels are available only to those who are able to travel to a show AND be one of the 250 purchasers of 2 coins each.

Joe Normal is first to purchase online.

Frank Flipper is 250th to purchase at a show.

So it's obvious that Frank's coin is worth so much more just because of where it was purchased. Not signed, not FS (Joe can get that), not an error.....just because of where it was purchased

Maybe the next "value" coin will be the "Purchased on HSN on the First Day Available" label....

Makes sense to me.....
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the counterfeiter says..."I can make how much just by copying the label?"..."I can use real coins, so the USSS won't care...I just have to fake THE LABEL???"
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭

<< <i>And the counterfeiter says..."I can make how much just by copying the label?"..."I can use real coins, so the USSS won't care...I just have to fake THE LABEL???" >>

For some reason, this just strikes me as so true...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And even though the official line doesnt start until 8am, there will certainly be more than 250 there by that time lined up somewhere >>

I believe the registration line will be all jammed up.

Remember, only "credentialed" persons may enter the Kennedy line at 8am. This means you have to be registered and that starts at 8am as well.

Only pre-registered folks can enter the line directly, and skip the registration line.

If you are not pre registered, forget about day one. >>

Doesn't every dealer and all helpers get badges in advance via mail? That's at least 1000 people there. ANA members can pre register via mail. Plenty more there already have there credentials in hand. I have mine. Going to be a mad rush to the Kennedy line and probably another mad rush to registration except those people without badges in hand have no chance of getting a coin on day one. The rush to the Kennedy line on subsequent days will be even more insane as everyone will have the credentials. Unless things change. I'm scared to bring my family to the open of this show based on all of this. I'd rather just show up at noon and be safe.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And the counterfeiter says..."I can make how much just by copying the label?"..."I can use real coins, so the USSS won't care...I just have to fake THE LABEL???" >>

Seems to me the Coin Doctors just got an additional revenue stream - doctor the label. Total label replacement surgery.
  • Options

<< <i>Going to be a mad rush to the Kennedy line and probably another mad rush to registration except those people without badges in hand have no chance of getting a coin on day one. >>

I agree. Im just trying to figure out how many hours in advance (of 8am) will that Kennedy line form with pre-registered dealers/members. Remember, dealers have to stand in line too.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Going to be a mad rush to the Kennedy line and probably another mad rush to registration except those people without badges in hand have no chance of getting a coin on day one. >>

I agree. Im just trying to figure out how many hours in advance (of 8am) will that Kennedy line form with pre-registered dealers/members. Remember, dealers have to stand in line too. >>

Doesn't matter how early. Highly unlikely that all will respect that "unofficial" line that forms earlier. Undoubtedly some/many will show up just before 8am and push their way through the crowd to make it to the official line.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I get my order in at 12:01 like I did with the HOF coins I think I will order all 5 as allowed.

Still kicking myself for not ordering 50 of the Gold HOF Proofs when I had the chance.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't matter how early. Highly unlikely that all will respect that "unofficial" line that forms earlier. >>

If there is a designated place to line up, people will.

If others try to disrespect those that line up orderly, I suppose it will be a problem.

I think it will be more orderly than you think. The show organizers are trying to do the best they can to control any crowds. Other than having a lottery and picking numbers, this is probably the best they can do.

Other than that, the USM should increase the amount of coins available at the show.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first 250 people in the pre-8:00 line will respect their line. Don't see anyone after the first 250 doing so unfortunately.
  • Options

<< <i>If I get my order in at 12:01 like I did with the HOF coins I think I will order all 5 as allowed.

Still kicking myself for not ordering 50 of the Gold HOF Proofs when I had the chance.image >>

PM the $370 guy...I'm sure you can get some for less than Mint issue price image
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Doesn't matter how early. Highly unlikely that all will respect that "unofficial" line that forms earlier. >>

If others try to disrespect those that line up orderly, I suppose it will be a problem.

I think it will be more orderly than you think. The show organizers are trying to do the best they can to control any crowds. Other than having a lottery and picking numbers, this is probably the best they can do.

Other than that, the USM should increase the amount of coins available at the show. >>

I respectfully disagree that the Mint should cater to the show. A level playing field would be that NONE of the Mint issues are offered anywhere except online on the official ordering date. Otherwise, it's a huge benefit for those that live in the show's area and can attend while the rest of the country has to order online.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    I don't live anywhere near the area. I am making the trip not just for these coins
    but for the show.
    Just like me, incorporate it into the vaca and you can do it too.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Other than that, the USM should increase the amount of coins available at the show. >>

I respectfully disagree that the Mint should cater to the show. A level playing field would be that NONE of the Mint issues are offered anywhere except online on the official ordering date. Otherwise, it's a huge benefit for those that live in the show's area and can attend while the rest of the country has to order online. >>

whatever youall do..... buy the Gold kennedys early.. an early decline in gold futures in August , followed by a strong rally past the middle of August into end .image
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1964-2014 gold Kennedy makes the mint catalog...

2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin (K15)

If gold stays above $1300 by Wednesday's London fix, the price will be $1,277.50.

Also Coin News published a early photos of the reverse proof silver Kennedy. (They're doing a story on West Point.)

Photos of 2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins

Edited to add: Mint has sold 84,593 clad sets through Sunday...

K14 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET 84,593 7/27/2014
  • Options
    -----

You are correct. The ANA will have extra security at the show to keep the line orderly and make sure there are no line-holders, pushing, shoving, etc. etc. We'll also have extra security in the convention hall during the sale as well.

The Donald E. Stephens Convention Center staff is also aware of the big demand for these coins and will also be assisting with security. Keep in mind that this staff handles conventions the size of the World's Fair of Money and larger all the time (Comic-Con, for example), and those conventions often include lines of people also vying for something made in a limited edition.

One thing that the ANA does well is security at its shows. Last year's World's Fair of Money was rated as the most secure show in the nation by security expert Steve Ellsworth. Read all about it here: http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/most-secure-shows-named
    --------
    Jake Sherlock, ANA staff member
    Member, TEC
  • Options
    Will the Mint be taking any steps at ANA to make sure the same people aren't buying everyday thus circumventing the 2 coin limit? Kinda like the website works, once you order two you can't go back and order two more the next day. Just wondering.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I get my order in at 12:01 like I did with the HOF coins I think I will order all 5 as allowed.

Still kicking myself for not ordering 50 of the Gold HOF Proofs when I had the chance.image >>

PM the $370 guy...I'm sure you can get some for less than Mint issue price image >>

sorry some folks you all got chumped into dream that hofs were THe lotto ticket to the pipe dream of riches .. can't fix that but , we did get a great buy on the gold hofs.. ....that just separates the penny people from tradersimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

PM the $370 guy...I'm sure you can get some for less than Mint issue price image >>

sorry some folks you all got chumped into dream that hofs were THe lotto ticket to the pipe dream of riches .. can't fix that but , we did get a great buy on the gold hofs.. ....that just separates the penny people from tradersimage >>

As always the early win the late lose and thoes in the middle work their behinds off for chump change.

Did not take the chance on all 50, however the ones I got for $ 420 I sold all between $900 - $ 1,200 raw. Only bought them because I figured out how to get thru the waiting

room in one minute. Not bad profit and and a boatload of pennys for a couple of hours work. Just for fun as a hobby as basically just a collector.

Made hundereds of thousands of dollars in the Beanie Babie days for working half a day each month picking up a truck load at UPS and driving

1 hour and traded for a box of cash. Paid off the house, got several new cars, paid for the daughter's college, wedding and honeymoon. 5 seeason hockey tickets,

many party trips and put away plenty for retirement.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Ordering first definitely has its advantages, I have always done so on day 1, within the first 1/2 hour of release.

I've noticed that the USM is trying to be better prepared for a mass of orders and quick shipments - after many debacles including the recent BB HOF.

I wasn't really interested in the Kennedy clad set, the first time I ordered on day 1, a few hours late.

However, ship dates have been pulled in, currently 8/2. I am thinking that the days of the big premiums on FS coins just due to delays in shipments are almost over.
  • Options
    For the Gold Kennedy, my guess is that you will still be able to order fairly easily on Day 1 (later afternoon) and get shipment in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't think they will sell more than 15,000-20,000 in the first few days. I think this issue will top out at less than 60,000 pieces.....I think it is more desirable to top out at around 45,000 pieces.....like the 2013 Reverse Proof Buffalo.

The guys that are talking 100,000 pieces are dreamers.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after the baseball failure... a grain of salt is needed with me

I thiikn this will do at least as well as the RP Buff, but not 100k well.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    definitely not 100k well.

most likely not 60k well, either.
  • Options
    The show coins will be profitable as always as thoes labels are so "valuable". As the coin is mint to demand

the margin and time frame will be smaller and shorter. A whole different story for a limited quantity one day sell out.

If demand is strong and the whole 40,000 go in two days or less many dealers will still need more than the 5's they

will accumulate thru friends & family. There will be a short window to make a few dollars on them.
  • Options

<< <i>The show coins will be profitable as always as thoes labels are so "valuable". >>

I'm a seller of those labels all day long.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

sorry some folks you all got chumped into dream that hofs were THe lotto ticket to the pipe dream of riches .. can't fix that but , we did get a great buy on the gold hofs.. ....that just separates the penny people from tradersimage >>

As always the early win the late lose and thoes in the middle work their behinds off for chump change.

Did not take the chance on all 50, however the ones I got for $ 420 I sold all between $900 - $ 1,200 raw. Only bought them because I figured out how to get thru the waiting

room in one minute. Not bad profit and and a boatload of pennys for a couple of hours work. Just for fun as a hobby as basically just a collector.

Made hundereds of thousands of dollars in the Beanie Babie days for working half a day each month picking up a truck load at UPS and driving

1 hour and traded for a box of cash. Paid off the house, got several new cars, paid for the daughter's college, wedding and honeymoon. 5 seeason hockey tickets,

many party trips and put away plenty for retirement. >>

You should have been a futures.....trader

there is always the next opportunity ...miss one another comes along .. can't brood on the past.. nor want to hold someone's else bag in the future

That is why a great opportunity for the kennedy golds at the ANA .. a pcgs ANA show label prf 70 should surpass the ANA 2013 reverse buff gold.. EASILY....

.....hofs .. old history
  • Options
    "You should have been a futures.....trader"

My day job is a Corporate Controller and Financial Analyst. Coin collecting is a part time hobby now mostly to put away for my grandchildren.

Lucked into the beanie baby accounts at the right time by doing a friends business books on the side at the time. God Bless TY Warner !!!!
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinnews article on how the '64 portrait was restored for the 50th anniversary coins:

1964 Kennedy Portrait Restored for 2014 50th Anniversary Coins

<< <i>This article describes how the U.S. Mint restored the original portrait design on 1964 Kennedy Half-Dollars for 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollars in .9999 fine gold, .900 fine silver and copper-nickel clad. >>

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PM the $370 guy...I'm sure you can get some for less than Mint issue price image >>

• Options
    Bottom feeders are great for cleaning up the excess.image

Best of luck to everyone on Aug.5 in whatever line you are in.
  • Options
    forget about the 1st 250 people in line at 8.00 Tuesday being able to purchase the gold Kennedys ....dealers will end with the majority of the coins
    ANA and the Mint promising a free for all at least on Tuesday, until they learn better for the rest of the week ..
    I will be there,looking for 20 gold Kennedys by the end of the show.... maybe trade hofs for the kennedysimage
  • Options
    Interesting article about possible demand from Louis at Coin Week
    Louis' article

Aug. 5 should be a fun day.image
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting article about possible demand from Louis at Coin Week
    Louis' article

Aug. 5 should be a fun day.image >>

on the money article .....the kennedy gold will be a winner
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    ANA and the Mint promising a free for all at least on Tuesday, until they learn better for the rest of the week ..
    >>

Where did the ANA and the Mint promise a "free-for-all" on Tuesday? I personally agree that it will be just that, but did they go on record stating this?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

OR

The Mint selling at shows on release day is not the problem. The problem is with the grading companies using special labels on those coins as if it mattered that they were purchased at the show vs. online or elsewhere. If there was no special label then there would be no mad rush from those looking to flip these. >>

.........BUT, if the mint didn't sell them then there would be no need for "special coin show labels" now would there?

This is the "ROOT" of the problem.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>And even though the official line doesnt start until 8am, there will certainly be more than 250 there by that time lined up somewhere. And there will be a mad rush stampede from that unofficial line to the official line. Bring a helmet and pads. >>

And a "cup".

Be SURE to bring your cup. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ramminrickramminrick Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Price will be $1240.00. Just posted on mint website.
  • Options

<< <i>Coinnews article on how the '64 portrait was restored for the 50th anniversary coins:

1964 Kennedy Portrait Restored for 2014 50th Anniversary Coins

<< <i>This article describes how the U.S. Mint restored the original portrait design on 1964 Kennedy Half-Dollars for 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollars in .9999 fine gold, .900 fine silver and copper-nickel clad. >>

>>

Thanks for the Link.

This is the first time I've seen an original "hub" (which they incorrectly referred to as a "die") that has the Accented Hair design on it! I'm saving this photo.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file