Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are Early Bird tickets for $150 each available for sale for ANA members if i am not mistaken >>

Don't think this will do you any good.

I think the USM has a plan, we just don't know it yet. They certainly don't want to take flack about ANA members only -with early bird passes getting the coins before anyone else. Or dealers for that matter.

Probably something like a "lottery" - hand out tickets and randomly select.

The only fair way.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so it's minted-to-demand. Has an ordering period been established?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This hype sure has me wishing I could get out of school for the week and make it to Chicago for the show. I'd love to have the floor to myself looking for real coins while everyone else is fighting over these. >>

You've restored my faith in sane.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that a deal has been struck with the lone surving Kennedy Daughter and that there will be signed labels.

How image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite frankly I hope they duke it out over these coins and let there be some bloodied cheeks and sore noses - perhaps the mint will then stop these ridiculous show releases...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    God bless the USA, we must be doing something right. Remember how in the old coldwar Soviet Union they used to
    line up to buy bread? Well , in the modern day USA, here we are complaining about lining up to buy Gold Coins !

God bless this mess !

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, so it's minted-to-demand. Has an ordering period been established? >>

Until there is no remaining "demand".....
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, so it's minted-to-demand. Has an ordering period been established? >>

Cannot be minted after 12/31/2014. No order period other than by 12/31/14.

We all know how these things work, whether its minted to demand (no limit) or a limit is in place......its all about sales demand.

The USM starts with an opening minted quantity - in this case they say 40,000 coins. If the quantity is drawn down quickly and there are sales exceeding the 40,000 - then they will mint more.

When they mint more they don't mint "exactly" what was ordered, they mint what they anticipate they will need to satisfy demand. Who knows maybe another 5,000 or 10,000 in a production run. It all depends.

One thing we do know - once the USM is busy with other products, late in the year (Nov/Dec) - such as the Kennedy Silver Sets, they will most likely not produce any more Gold Kennedys.

This means that if the last group minted is depleted - and there are further orders pending.......they will not strike more....and you will get the "not available" email sometime after.
  • Options

<< <i>This means that if the last group minted is depleted - and there are further orders pending.......they will not strike more....and you will get the "not available" email sometime after. >>

...and if, after all the hoopla about ordering them on the first day, you haven't ordered one in those 4-5 months you deserve a "not available" email
  • Options
    Guess the kids are toast...18 and over only.
  • Options
    that will solve some issues
  • Options
    JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    I have to admit I am watching the sales for the clad coin on ebay (for sale tomorrow by the mint) & based on the BIN prices it seems the profits are razor thin. I will probably get some for myself & sister (who happens to like Kennedy's) but don't see the flip??
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While all this craziness is going on, the 1998-S silver matte Kennedy half (mintage 62K) is readily available for around $200. A better value, in my opinion.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I bought a raw 98-S way back , maybe 2001 ish. Anyway it had tiny shiny spots on it which did not sit well with me at all.
    The ebay seller readily ageed to take it back so away it went.

Anyway I've often wondered about that Coin. Was it a Proof with spray paint on it to simulate a matte finish? Were a few
    flecks of paint falling off revealing the proof surface behind the paint? Anyone have any insight on fake 98-S Matte
    Kennedy's?
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will the first day bring?

mint product page

If there is a quick sellout of the initial 40,000 and it takes months to have more ready there will be a good premium on the
    first sales. If you are looking to flip it will be first in first out. It is even possible the mint will suprise us and not make any more
    after the first 40,000.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who is buying at the ANA ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Any chance the Mint will continue using the original 1964 Kennedy portrait on the obverse in future years? It looks much better than the modern one and shouldn't cost much more to strike.

Since all Kennedy halves nowadays are sold to collectors at premium prices, it would be nice to get a better looking coin for our money.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me get this straight - the special Kennedy sets will have coins that are based on the original version. Is that what the 1964 Kennedys were? When did the design change? Multiple times?

If the "P" & "D" clad versions in the set are different than the "P & "D" "circulation" clads, will the "S" clad and silver versions in the set be different than the "S" clad and silver versions in the standard and silver proof sets?

You can't tell the players without a program these days.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Let me get this straight - the special Kennedy sets will have coins that are based on the original version. Is that what the 1964 Kennedys were? When did the design change? Multiple times?

If the "P" & "D" clad versions in the set are different than the "P & "D" "circulation" clads, will the "S" clad and silver versions in the set be different than the "S" clad and silver versions in the standard and silver proof sets?

You can't tell the players without a program these days. >>

I'm guessing the proof and mint sets will have the regular 2014 obverse and the 2014 anniversary sets will have the 1964 obverse. Odd that the label pcgs made says "accented hair" as that is the version Jacqueline Kennedy (Onassis) rejected. I also note that the pictures from the mint show a 2014 reverse on the 1964 obverse coins.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to this Coin Week article, the PCGS labels for the show issued gold Kennedy's are inaccurate.

GOLD KENNEDY NOT ACCENTED HAIR

I do not know much about this but I am passing it on. Anyone with knowledge of the issue please let us know.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

the pictures on the web site seem not to be AH, but I was waiting for them in hand

the pictures on the mint site are good enough to tell the reverse is a 2014, but I'll even wait for them in hand before saying they definitely are 2014 reverses.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actual pictures of the 1964-2014 gold Kennedy coin and packaging, taken at the West Point Mint...

Photos of 2014-W 24K Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Coins

(If you read the previous article, the clads sold 68,974 units yesterday.)
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Odd that the label pcgs made says "accented hair" as that is the version Jacqueline Kennedy (Onassis) rejected. I also note that the pictures from the mint show a 2014 reverse on the 1964 obverse coins. >>

Just as "odd" has showing the coin in a medallic orientation vs coin orientation! If the slab on the left were flipped bottom to top, the reverse of the coin would not be upside down.

That "Accented Hair" designation was dreamt up by someone who really has no idea what constitutes an Accented Hair Variety. I also think that that particular picture is going to cause some waves of confusion down the road with folks pushing these as "Rare Accented Hair" coins.

Kinda like this PCGS Ad which appeared in Coin World a few years back.

A 1968-S MPR70DC ?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>According to this Coin Week article, the PCGS labels for the show issued gold Kennedy's are inaccurate.

GOLD KENNEDY NOT ACCENTED HAIR

I do not know much about this but I am passing it on. Anyone with knowledge of the issue please let us know. >>

Well, that very article also states:

"don’t confuse it with the poorly understood 1964 proof “Accented Hair” variety."

Poorly Understood? image

It appears that there are a few vehicles that are broken down along the side of the Information Super Highway...................

........................with no tow truck in sight.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Actual pictures of the 1964-2014 gold Kennedy coin and packaging, taken at the West Point Mint...

Photos of 2014-W 24K Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Coins

(If you read the previous article, the clads sold 68,974 units yesterday.) >>

Wow!

Considering the fact that the US Mint held back a certain number of the 38,000 sets (which were to be available yesterday according to a Coin World Article) to sell OTC at the ANA Show, a fair number of folks are going to have to wait until September, if not longer, to get theirs.

This isn't looking good for the Gold Coin deliveries despite that fact that quite a few have been thumbing their noses at this offering.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

Cannot be minted after 12/31/2014. No order period other than by 12/31/14. >>

Well..............since these are not being minted by Congressionally approved "Law" other than the discretion of the Secretary of the Treasury, I expect that the US Mint can produce these whenever they feel like it.

If they, by chance, over produce the coin, there is nothing which states that they cannot offer these for sale until they all sell out.

Regardless, the US Mint's track record on providing coins which are released at Coin Shows states that folks who order online, should be in for the long wait. I continue to expect these to be very popular coins both now and into the future regardless of the quantities minted.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    They only need to be minted in 2014 as far as I know. There is no law saying these must stop end of year as far as I know. I would also say that it might be possible to mint them in 2014 and sell in 2015, but they cut off the 2009 UHR before 2010 right?

Perhaps the ASE and AGE/Buff surge for 2015 inhibits continued mintage???

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Line forming at 8:00 at the show.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    So are the gold Kennedys going to be considered "bullion" coins, since they show the weight and fineness on the reverse?

Many collectors and dealers consider the First Spouse coins to be in the bullion category for that reason, even though they were all released by the Mint as commemoratives priced at a significant premium to melt.

• Options

<< <i>Line forming at 8:00 at the show..... >>

Phone photos!

• Options

<< <i>So are the gold Kennedys going to be considered "bullion" coins, since they show the weight and fineness on the reverse?

Many collectors and dealers consider the First Spouse coins to be in the bullion category for that reason, even though they were all released by the Mint as commemoratives priced at a significant premium to melt. >>

Proof ASE/AGE/APE, burnished, spouse and other mint site coins shouldn't be bullionized but are. It will be interesting to see where this one lands on pcgs' coin lookup. I'll bet it lands under half dollars and not it's own special place like the UHR has under bullion.

• Options

<< <i>Line forming at 8:00 at the show..... >>

Leave it to the ANA to really screw things up!

Text of an email I received this morning (7/25/2014):

"ANA announces safety procedures
    for U.S. Mint purchases at the 2014 World's Fair of Money

The American Numismatic Association today announces the following public-safety procedures for collectors who wish to buy the dual-dated 50th anniversary Kennedy gold proof coins that will go on sale at the Chicago World's Fair of MoneySM, to be held in Rosemont, Illinois, on Aug. 5-9.

The U.S. Mint previously announced that 500 Kennedy coins per day will be sold at the show, and in order to purchase a coin, a buyer must receive a ticket from the U.S. Mint. The line for receiving tickets will form outside of the bourse floor at 8 a.m. each day of the show. There will be signs on site to guide collectors to the correct area. Mint officials will distribute tickets to the first 250 people in line between 10:30 and 10:45 a.m. each day. At 11 a.m., collectors with tickets will be led onto the bourse floor through a special side entrance that will take them directly to the U.S. Mint booth to complete their purchase.

Collectors are reminded that proper credentialing is required to enter the convention hall at the World's Fair of Money. Collectors who are not credentialed will be asked to leave the ticket line. The public registration desk will open Tuesday through Saturday, Aug. 5-9, starting at 8 a.m. Registration is required to receive credentials. ANA members who registered for the show online before the July 15 pre-registration deadline will receive their credentials via U.S. mail before the show.

The U.S. Mint previously announced that collectors under the age of 18 will not be allowed to purchase the Kennedy coins on site at the show. Collectors will not be allowed to hold spots in line for others.

Daily public admission is $6 for non-members and free for ANA members. A $2 off coupon is available for free at WorldsFairOfMoney.com.

The World's Fair of Money is the nation's premier money show, featuring the most expansive educational programs and best numismatic inventory of any summer show. The show features more than 1,100 numismatic dealers; major auctions by Heritage Auctions and Stack's Bowers Galleries; the ANA's signature Museum Showcase, exhibiting some of the world's most valuable and beautiful coins and paper money; the Collector Exhibits area; as well as educational presentations and seminars. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, Aug. 5-8, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9. For more information, go to WorldsFairofMoney.com.

The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging people to study and collect money and related items. The ANA helps its 25,500 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of education and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or go to www.money.org."

-------------------------------------------------

Here's what I'm seeing.

A line will begin forming at 8:00am in a location pre-announced or directed by the ANA. This line is outside the bourse floor yet within the convention center.

The show opens at 9:30 for ANA Members and 10:00 for the public. BUT, dealers, exhibitors, and Coin Club Table Holders (and their helpers) get in at "8:00am".

Sooooooooo, what's going to happen with this "well thought out" plan, is that the coin dealers and table holders will have "credentialed helpers" that will occupy the first half, if not the entire line.

I count 412 Specific Coin Dealers registered for the show. This excludes Exhibitor's and Coin Club Tables.

No way anybody that enters the show at 9:30am on ANY day is going to get a ticket.

Oh Yeah! This is your ANA Working for "you" the collector!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    The 18 year old rule is just wrong. So much for the YNs!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>The 18 year old rule is just wrong. So much for the YNs! >>

Again, that's your new ANA at work here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the ANA but.........................oh heck, I'm dissing them.

I am still of the opinion that the US Mint should NEVER sell newly released coins at a Coin Show on release day. It only panders to coin dealers and not collectors.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I read it entering the bourse floor has nothing to do with getting a ticket.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the ANA but.........................oh heck, I'm dissing them.

I am still of the opinion that the US Mint should NEVER sell newly released coins at a Coin Show on release day. It only panders to coin dealers and not collectors. >>

This is only for the gold. YNs are allowed to buy the $9.95 2 coin sets alone.

The mint's thoughts are yn's are likely not to have 1200-1300 but if they do they should have an adult with them. I take it to be an anti-line stuffing measure.

• Options
    Here's what I'm seeing.

A line will begin forming at 8:00am in a location pre-announced or directed by the ANA. This line is outside the bourse floor yet within the convention center.

The show opens at 9:30 for ANA Members and 10:00 for the public. BUT, dealers, exhibitors, and Coin Club Table Holders (and their helpers) get in at "8:00am".

Sooooooooo, what's going to happen with this "well thought out" plan, is that the coin dealers and table holders will have "credentialed helpers" that will occupy the first half, if not the entire line.

I count 412 Specific Coin Dealers registered for the show. This excludes Exhibitor's and Coin Club Tables.

No way anybody that enters the show at 9:30am on ANY day is going to get a ticket.

-----

This is not entirely correct.

-- Credentials are required to get onto the bourse. Doesn't matter if you're a member, non-member, dealer, staff, or anybody else -- no badge, no entry. That's true for all hours of the show.
    -- Anyone who has their credentials can jump in line at 8 a.m. ANA members who registered online should have received or will soon be receiving (depending on USPS) their credentials in the mail. Those folks can hop right in line.
    -- Collectors who didn't get their credentials ahead of time can get them at 8 a.m. the first morning of the show. For $18, you can purchase a Gold membership and have a pass that will get you on the floor for the rest of the week. Thusly, you can jump in line first thing Wednesday-Saturday mornings. Or you can buy a day pass for the next day at $6 at the registration desk (please note, if you buy the $6 wristband and then lose it, there are no free replacements).
    -- ANA members can enter the bourse 30 minutes early (at 9:30 a.m.) on Wednesday-Saturday only. But, as noted above, being on the bourse between the hours of 8 and 10 is not going to get you a Kennedy.

Ultimately, this is the Mint's product and the Mint can choose to sell it however it wants. The Mint made the decision to bar YN's from the line -- that was not an ANA decision, and we were in no way consulted on that decision. The Mint made the decision to go with the ticketing system. If you go back to the July 16 press teleconference, the Mint at the time said it wanted to alert people about 30 minutes before the 11 a.m. sales time where to go to get a ticket. Well, we ran that plan by the Fire Marshall, and the Fire Marshall said that would be a really bad idea. Stampedes are never a good idea, you know?

Since the Mint wants to sell the Kennedy coins on a ticketing system, this was the best option for public safety. That is the primary concern here -- I'd hate to see somebody get knocked down because an overzealous buyer bowled them over trying to be first in line.

Hopefully that clears up a few questions.
    --------
    Jake Sherlock, ANA staff member
    Member, TEC
  • Options
    I am preregistered. I will be there at 8am while others are on the registration line -

as you cannot occupy the Kennedy line without having credentials first.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's what I'm seeing.

-----

-- Credentials are required to get onto the bourse. Doesn't matter if you're a member, non-member, dealer, staff, or anybody else -- no badge, no entry. That's true for all hours of the show.
    -- Anyone who has their credentials can jump in line at 8 a.m. ANA members who registered online should have received or will soon be receiving (depending on USPS) their credentials in the mail. Those folks can hop right in line.
    -- Collectors who didn't get their credentials ahead of time can get them at 8 a.m. the first morning of the show. For $18, you can purchase a Gold membership and have a pass that will get you on the floor for the rest of the week. Thusly, you can jump in line first thing Wednesday-Saturday mornings. Or you can buy a day pass for the next day at $6 at the registration desk (please note, if you buy the $6 wristband and then lose it, there are no free replacements).
    -- ANA members can enter the bourse 30 minutes early (at 9:30 a.m.) on Wednesday-Saturday only. But, as noted above, being on the bourse between the hours of 8 and 10 is not going to get you a Kennedy.

Ultimately, this is the Mint's product and the Mint can choose to sell it however it wants. The Mint made the decision to bar YN's from the line -- that was not an ANA decision, and we were in no way consulted on that decision. The Mint made the decision to go with the ticketing system. If you go back to the July 16 press teleconference, the Mint at the time said it wanted to alert people about 30 minutes before the 11 a.m. sales time where to go to get a ticket. Well, we ran that plan by the Fire Marshall, and the Fire Marshall said that would be a really bad idea. Stampedes are never a good idea, you know?

Since the Mint wants to sell the Kennedy coins on a ticketing system, this was the best option for public safety. That is the primary concern here -- I'd hate to see somebody get knocked down because an overzealous buyer bowled them over trying to be first in line.

Hopefully that clears up a few questions. >>

this gold kennedy rush is going to be a mess on Tuesday. .Aug 5.......10 of my church members got the idea to go the show to purchase the kennedy gold and use the profits for their organization wish list .. image
  • Options

<< <i>Here's what I'm seeing.

-----

Hopefully that clears up a few questions. >>

I talk to mint people, too.

From what I've been told, the 18 and over is only a requirement for the gold. YNs can be in line to buy the $9.95 clad set(s).

I can guarantee there will be people paid to stand in line all days. Look for money changing hands. They will either give them $1200-1300 at the door or ask them to front on their credit cards and meet up somewhere just after to be paid for the product and time.

• Options
    I live within driving distance of Rosemont, but I can't see standing in line all day to sell these things ... to whom? If there was someone handing out cash at the grading table, that would be different.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    I'll be staying in the Hotel. I am pre-registered. That spares me one line.

I will definitely be close to the front of that line, when I get up and stroll across from the hotel via sky bridge at 6 am.
  • Options

<< <i>I live within driving distance of Rosemont, but I can't see standing in line all day to sell these things ... to whom? If there was someone handing out cash at the grading table, that would be different. >>

Considering the RP Buff and HOF issues, there will be people in the convention center(hopefully dealer credentialed) who make on the spot offers for them.

The RP Buffs were pulling down over $200-$250 each after purchase

• Options
    Mine are going right to the PCGS table. I have also pre filled the submission ticket.
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Pre-releasing a few coins at a show that only a few will profit from does not seem very fair. However, from what we have been told, the Mint will have enough coins ready to deliver for those that order directly from the mint on the first day.

I know its been discussed many times before but this whole labeling of First day, First Strike, special this special that really has nothing to do with the coin, and I wonder if in years to come if those special label coins that many people seem so eager to pay such ridiculous prices for will have any greater value than coins with regular labels or even raw. It's marketing hype at its best that provides a false sense of value and dubious collectability. The Mint, our hosts and the ANA have all found a clever way to relieve us of more of our money which we willingly give in the hopes of relieving someone else of more of theirs...as is the american way.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>this gold kennedy rush is going to be a mess on Tuesday. .Aug 5.......10 of my church members got the idea to go the show to purchase the kennedy gold and use the profits for their organization wish list .. >>

If you haven't pre-registered - forget about Aug 5. You wont be "properly credentialed" and wont be allowed to enter the line until your register......I think that registration line will be a bear.

Your best bet is day 2 onwards.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am still of the opinion that the US Mint should NEVER sell newly released coins at a Coin Show on release day. It only panders to coin dealers and not collectors. >>

The mint's thoughts are yn's are likely not to have 1200-1300 but if they do they should have an adult with them. I take it to be an anti-line stuffing measure. >>

With all due respect, many YN's do have that kind of cash when they save up for it, do mint flips, to trade into their desired collecting specialty. I think you would be impressed with some of the collections these kids build using profits from mint flips, cherry picks, upgrades and opportune bargain auction purchases.

Many 12-17 year olds are responsible with money and know exactly what they are doing.

The mint flips were actually a great thing for the hobby allowing YN's to buy coins they otherwise could not afford.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will order (1) on-line,,,,, I am too tired to stand in line all day.

I am not even going to the show,,,,,,,,, thought about it just to get (1) of these but,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm

GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The mint's thoughts are yn's are likely not to have 1200-1300 but if they do they should have an adult with them. I take it to be an anti-line stuffing measure. >>

With all due respect, many YN's do have that kind of cash when they save up for it, do mint flips, to trade into their desired collecting specialty. I think you would be impressed with some of the collections these kids build using profits from mint flips, cherry picks, upgrades and opportune bargain auction purchases.

Many 12-17 year olds are responsible with money and know exactly what they are doing.

The mint flips were actually a great thing for the hobby allowing YN's to buy coins they otherwise could not afford. >>

It isn't I, it is the mint.

I wouldn't have the age limit, but some reason has to be used ... is a 2 year old a YN? and there were rumors of HS kids being paid into the line. The mint it trying.

There are plenty of wealthy kids. I imagine many could drop $2400-$2600 no problems. I think the mint's counter point here would be "it still would be better to have an adult with them while carrying that much money."

This is part of the results of complaining.... you get what you get unless you can come up with better ideas.

I was thinking that a mint police officer could
    1) inform each purchaser being paid to be in line will get you kicked out
    2) ask them if they were paid and by whom

have unmarked lookouts looking for the transactions and tossing people who break the "no paid people in line" rule

but now we are running up the gov'ts tab and decreasing the peoples' profits on these coin sales. Is this in the public interest? Hmmmm.... I'm leaning towards yes.

I'd pay to fly to the ANA to volunteer to be an unmarked lookout. Give me a radio.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file