Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Really???? >>

Big A - I hear you....I sympathize....I understand.

But we go with the flow......I am a seller, not a buyer of show labeled coins..... >>

The kennedy gold is /will be much bigger than reverse proof buff
    But those that don't buy at the ANA shouldn"t worry gold set to run much higher into August >>

Why do you think that the K gold will be much bigger than the RP Buff? >>

this kennedy gold will Only one year issue .. sentimentality of Kennedy with collectors most familiar with late kennedy .. have the bucks to spend .. the chase for easy money and on and on..
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Really???? >>

Big A - I hear you....I sympathize....I understand.

But we go with the flow......I am a seller, not a buyer of show labeled coins..... >>

The kennedy gold is /will be much bigger than reverse proof buff
    But those that don't buy at the ANA shouldn"t worry gold set to run much higher into August >>

Why do you think that the K gold will be much bigger than the RP Buff? >>

this kennedy gold will Only one year issue .. sentimentality of Kennedy with collectors most familiar with late kennedy .. have the bucks to spend .. the chase for easy money and on and on.. >>

I just don't see this at all. It's not a popular series whereas the Buffs are very popular.

I'm certainly in for one of each Kennedy issue but I just don't see how the show label K's beat the show label RP Buffs (i.e, 2x non-show 70FS).

What do other folks think about this?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pre Registered ANA member admission is 9:30 am.

After early bird..... but prior to general admission at 10am.

In this case, coins will go on sale at 11am CST. >>

That is not true on the first day of the show August 5... ANA members only get in a half hour early on August 6-8.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    A little confusion around first day entrance time for ANA members
    (Pre registered)
    A direct call to the ANA last week said 930am
  • Options

<< <i>A little confusion around first day entrance time for ANA members
    (Pre registered)
    A direct call to the ANA last week said 930am >>

This is right from the homepage of the show:
    http://worldsfairofmoney.com/

<< <i>Show hours

Tuesday-Friday, Aug. 5-8: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 9: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Early bird badge hours: 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.

ANA member admission time: 9:30 a.m. Wednesday-Saturday
    >>

I wouldn't count on being able to get in 30 min early on Tuesday 8/5

• Options
    You won't get in at 9:30 on Tuesday, I called and asked. Tuesday's 10 other days are 9:30. If any dealers who are getting in line at 8 want to save me a spot I'll sell you my 5 for just below the going rate.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But we go with the flow......I am a seller, not a buyer of show labeled coins..... >>

I totally get that...but....then....who are the buyers? Most all the comments here relate to getting coins at the show and doing an immediate flip..or...immediate show submission...

but....who are the end result buyers? THAT is where the issue really is....if there were no buyers then this would be a non-event.

Does anyone here plan on purchasing (at "300%" over cost) a show labeled coin from a dealer after they are graded???
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But we go with the flow......I am a seller, not a buyer of show labeled coins..... >>

I totally get that...but....then....who are the buyers? Most all the comments here relate to getting coins at the show and doing an immediate flip..or...immediate show submission...

but....who are the end result buyers? THAT is where the issue really is....if there were no buyers then this would be a non-event.

Does anyone here plan on purchasing (at "300%" over cost) a show labeled coin from a dealer after they are graded??? >>

No labels at all for me on these sets! This is going to be completely raw in my collection.

For 12 of the 13 Kennedy's released this year, it will cost more to grade than the coin is worth, and if I'm guessing right, will ever be worth. For the gold, NGC sez you have to submit the gold under express ($60 + expenses), so you can't get it done as a freebie. And I just have a problem spending $70 to grade a $9.95 set, or $140 to grade a $99.95 set. That might just be me... (PCGS hasn't announced any submission requirements, yet.)

When the gold coin goes on sale on Aug 5, there's a pretty good chance we'll know if the price of the coin is going to change with the Aug 6 price fix. My buying behavior for the Au Kennedy will be based on that. I'll be very happy to sit out the Noon fight with the Mint's web site and have the coin backordered if the price of the coin is going to drop $50... image

(On the other hand, if it's going to go up $50, I'm in for one on day one!)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can hear Foghorn Leghorn's voice : "I say , I say boy…. that's not a chicken hawk, that's a ham hock"
  • Options

<< <i>You won't get in at 9:30 on Tuesday, I called and asked. >>

I called and asked as well. The individual handling all of the pre-registration materials told me 9:30am. Now maybe she was confused and that is only day 2 onwards.

If it's 10, then it's 10.

But we have no idea when registration opens. If it's 10, then those hundreds of people will be in one line while I walk through the entrance doors to another.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You won't get in at 9:30 on Tuesday, I called and asked. >>

I called and asked as well. The individual handling all of the pre-registration materials told me 9:30am. Now maybe she was confused and that is only day 2 onwards.

If it's 10, then it's 10.

But we have no idea when registration opens. If it's 10, then those hundreds of people will be in one line while I walk through the entrance doors to another. >>

don't kid yourselves.. the line to get in the ANA show at 9.30 or 10.00 will be huge .. only then to get in the Kennedy gold line again , behind dealers and early badge holders

• Options
    one thing i do know

that registration line is long and slooooowww

pre-registered will sail by into the bourse.

of course to another line, but not nearly as long as the registration line
  • Options

<< <i>

Does anyone here plan on purchasing (at "300%" over cost) a show labeled coin from a dealer after they are graded??? >>

just like many who paid over $4,000 for a graded reverse gold buff that cost 1750.. there will be buyers.. but those that have qualms buying a gold kennedy.. that is fine

there isn't any early entry for ANA members on Tuesday .. that is according to the ANA marketing director
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why ppl keep saying 5 at ANA. I spoke with the USM and they said there will be a limit of 2 per person at the show.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why anyone would pay over issue price for a mint-to-demand product while the product is still available from the mint. It definitely ain't typical supply and demand logic when supply is unlimited.
    **I do realize that the argument can be made that the supply number has nothing to do with the actual coin itself.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No labels at all for me on these sets! This is going to be completely raw in my collection.

For 12 of the 13 Kennedy's released this year, it will cost more to grade than the coin is worth, and if I'm guessing right, will ever be worth. For the gold, NGC sez you have to submit the gold under express ($60 + expenses), so you can't get it done as a freebie. And I just have a problem spending $70 to grade a $9.95 set, or $140 to grade a $99.95 set. That might just be me... (PCGS hasn't announced any submission requirements, yet.)

When the gold coin goes on sale on Aug 5, there's a pretty good chance we'll know if the price of the coin is going to change with the Aug 6 price fix. My buying behavior for the Au Kennedy will be based on that. I'll be very happy to sit out the Noon fight with the Mint's web site and have the coin backordered if the price of the coin is going to drop $50... image

(On the other hand, if it's going to go up $50, I'm in for one on day one!) >>

I totally understand your thinking in general.

I had the same thought at the Balto. Show with the HOF clads - $50 to grade a $20 coin. I got about 70% 70s and sold them at an average of around $550 each. I am so glad that I sucked up the fees and graded them all.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure why ppl keep saying 5 at ANA. I spoke with the USM and they said there will be a limit of 2 per person at the show. >>

What number did you call to get that info and who did you speak with?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not sure why ppl keep saying 5 at ANA. I spoke with the USM and they said there will be a limit of 2 per person at the show. >>

What number did you call to get that info and who did you speak with? >>

regular customer service
  • Options
    Im sure that many of you have been to an ANA show before. I have been to many.

The registration line that you HAVE TO DO is the biggest pain and usually has the longest line.

Regardless if ANA members only enter at 10AM, the pre registered folks will be well ahead of anyone on the registration line.

If you are an ANA member, I suggest you pre-register, which I think is cutting off tomorrow......but the ANA rep in Colorado was already pulling the names from the list last week to ship out your credentials to enter and skip the registration line.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

regular customer service >>

I had heard from a dealer close to show managers, a couple of weeks ago, it would be a limit of 1 gold per person.. we will know officially what the limit is when the price is announced..
    If the US MINT is truly customer service oriented, they should at least double the staff they had on hand at the 2013 Show ,when they sold the gold buff reverse
    In 2013 Mint needed extra shipments of the gold buff reverse coins sent to the ANA show because of strong demandimage
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint's goal is to supply collectible coins to collectors, not to flippers. Secondary markets and secondary marketers should to be of no concern to the mint. Collectors should have no problem with this announcement. Flippers, as the author of the CoinWeek article appears to be, obviously see it cutting into their profits. I prefer the US Mint continue catering to collectors.

Disclaimer: I do my fair share of flipping. >>

Very well put, derryb.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I don't know about the rest of you....

but I hate being on a line with a bunch of "know nothings" who don't know what they are buying...and are paid to stand in line. That pi&&es people off. (They should stick to concert ticket sales)

At least understand what you are buying.

I don't mind a saavy collector who puts some money together and then certifies the coins to sell for a good profit. That takes a little thought. And usually those people generally keep one for themselves, or, spend some of those profits with other dealers - putting it back into the hobby.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad this wasn't going to be the last JFK coin. I'm ready to see this boring coin go away.

Cheers,

Bob >>

you and many others are ready to see that
  • Options
    I agree, close the series with these coins...........
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Louis Golino

July 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for Steve and Mr. Griffin for sharing their views. There is no doubt opinion is divided on this issue.

The Mint is holding a special teleconference on Wed. for the coin media on the JFK gold coins, which I will be part of. Watch this column to find out what happens during the meeting.

From Coin Week
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Just saw the PCGS label to be used for "show" coins....

not really impressed - was hoping they were a little more original than just "Chicago August 2014"..... at least with the HOF coins, "First Pitch" was a catchy phrase......
  • Options

<< <i>I agree, close the series with these coins........... >>

The half dollar is the half cent of tomorrow
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

regular customer service >>

You can't trust the for anything

I wouldn't trust them for anything show related
  • Options
    I agree. The USM needs to release a statement about purchasing at the show. Limits...

And it should be in writing on their site, FB, or other.

Not from someone's uncle who knows someone who called the USM customer service rep.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree. The USM needs to release a statement about purchasing at the show. Limits...

And it should be in writing on their site, FB, or other.

Not from someone's uncle who knows someone who called the USM customer service rep. >>

See my post above. Hopefully they will release all the info then.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Don't know where to follow that news - went to that site and didn't even see the comment you pasted.....
  • Options
    Link to Louis' The Coin Analyist article. Notes form the anouncement will be in an upcomming article

Louis's article
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The mint's goal is to supply collectible coins to collectors, not to flippers. Secondary markets and secondary marketers should to be of no concern to the mint. Collectors should have no problem with this announcement. Flippers, as the author of the CoinWeek article appears to be, obviously see it cutting into their profits. I prefer the US Mint continue catering to collectors.

Disclaimer: I do my fair share of flipping. >>

Very well put, derryb. >>

• Options
    I don't see any indication of an "announcement"
  • Options
    Is the label worth the effort, if you're a flipper? This baffles me.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Given the performance of ms/pr70's with show labels for rev off buffalo and
    Hof coins --I think that would be a resounding yes
  • Options

<< <i>Is the label worth the effort, if you're a flipper? This baffles me. >>

that poster is definitely not a flipper ... no one home ...
    coin dealers already getting their ANA show exhibitors badges.. the whole staff of my dealer friend will be at the show to buy the Kennedy Gold
    He estimates Kennedy coins will attract several thousand buyers more than HOF Baltimore or the ANA 2013 reverse gold buff
  • Options
    Still baffled. image

OK, so I've never done this before. What's the strategy? When's the best time to go, how long will it take, what's the payoff, etc.?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Still baffled. image

OK, so I've never done this before. What's the strategy? When's the best time to go, how long will it take, what's the payoff, etc.? >>

the strategy is to get a lot of rest, bring a lot of money or credit card , be willing to spend a lot of time waiting in lines..huge crowds will be there... best time is your own best.. reward is making a good buck .. although don't sell cheap to dealers looking to buy gold kennedy coins.
    my idea now is + $450 raw over Mint price .. although this figure will change higher nearer the show.. best to get the ANA show labels for coins prices will be much more than raw
  • Options
    to those zealots of Facebook users read this on how England spies on Facebook posts ..that you can bet NSA already does on Americans

http://www.zdnet.com/gchqs-dark-arts-leaked-leaked-documents-reveal-online-manipulation-facebook-and-youtube-snooping-7000031598/
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

OK, so I've never done this before. What's the strategy? When's the best time to go, how long will it take, what's the payoff, etc.? >>

the strategy is to get a lot of rest, bring a lot of money or credit card , be willing to spend a lot of time waiting in lines..huge crowds will be there... best time is your own best.. reward is making a good buck .. although don't sell cheap to dealers looking to buy gold kennedy coins.
    my idea now is + $450 raw over Mint price .. although this figure will change higher nearer the show.. best to get the ANA show labels for coins prices will be much more than raw >>

I don't understand how you get an ANA label on the slab. How does the TPG know where you bought the coins? I didn't read every post here so forgive me if this was posted previously. I'm only 150 miles from Rosemont and could easily make the drive if it's worth a grand or two. image

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

my idea now is + $450 raw over Mint price .. although this figure will change higher nearer the show.. best to get the ANA show labels for coins prices will be much more than raw >>

I don't understand how you get an ANA label on the slab. How does the TPG know where you bought the coins? I didn't read every post here so forgive me if this was posted previously. I'm only 150 miles from Rosemont and could easily make the drive if it's worth a grand or two. image >>

Because that is where they are being released day 1.

Unless of course you have a bus load of folks waiting at the mint counters in Denver Philly and Wash Dc, that then plan to drive and or fly them to Chicago. Maybe the tpg's will require Proof of purchase before grading these ana labels.
  • Options

<< <i>Just saw the PCGS label to be used for "show" coins....

not really impressed - was hoping they were a little more original than just "Chicago August 2014"..... at least with the HOF coins, "First Pitch" was a catchy phrase...... >>

I saw the labels on the PCGS site today and not a big fan either. Don't really like how they say "John F. Kennedy" then right below "50th Anniversary" then below that "1964-2014"

It's NOT a 50th Anniversary of JFK...
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize if this has already been stated, but it would solve some of the issues (and yes, create others) if they announced that they were bringing 100,000 to the show, with no purchase limits, and that they had an armored car ready to roll with the next 100,000.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i> don't understand how you get an ANA label on the slab. How does the TPG know where you bought the coins? >>

As far as we are aware, the gold is only being released at the show on Aug 5.

As for the 2 pc set, supposedly being offered 7/24 on the web, it would depend if they ship the product before the show starts. If offered 7/24 at mint counters (2 pc set), they I guess you could walk into the show with 2 pc sets ready to go for grading.
  • Options
    As I stated earlier in the thread, the best thing ANA members could do is pre-register. This will allow you to enter at 10am and skip the registration line.

If you haven't done it as of today, good luck waiting on that registration line before you are even admitted to the bourse floor to stand on the USM line - with the apparent busloads of buyers of the kennedy coins.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A special label and a special cost too. $100 per gold? Yikes!

Then $75 per coin for the $4.975 clad? That's 15 times the cost of the coin! Double Yikes!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this coin will look good with a regular FIRST STRIKE label or NO label at all. Not a huge fan of the Kennedy special labels being offered nor the coin itself.

I will say that there will be a bunch of 70s graded. You know the Mint has a few QCers going through them and picking out the best for the ANA show.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just saw the PCGS label to be used for "show" coins....

not really impressed - was hoping they were a little more original than just "Chicago August 2014"..... at least with the HOF coins, "First Pitch" was a catchy phrase...... >>

I saw the labels on the PCGS site today and not a big fan either. Don't really like how they say "John F. Kennedy" then right below "50th Anniversary" then below that "1964-2014"

It's NOT a 50th Anniversary of JFK... >>

Additionally, does the label need to say "Accented Hair" since there isn't another variety with non-Accented Hair?? Lots of unnecessary stuff on that label unfortunately. The label from the other company makes much more sense and has a much cleaner look. Perhaps what we're seeing isn't the final draft?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file