Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Kennedy minted to demand (Now 75,000 Limit) - Where does it go from here ?

Comments

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of money involved they will try to get many of these coins to Chicago to get show labels.

If PCGS does not require show receipts to get show labels it can be assumed that many of these non show coins

will end up getting show labels. This will make NGC the REAL SHOW LABEL to get.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is just absurd, do any of these people have jobs? That one picture has a women with a baby carriage. Un frickin believable >>

Looks like a Moscow, old USSR bread line .. this is the new America .....off to the Show
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the amount of money involved they will try to get many of these coins to Chicago to get show labels.

If PCGS does not require show receipts to get show labels it can be assumed that many of these non show coins

will end up getting show labels. This will make NGC the REAL SHOW LABEL to get. >>

yes indeed ,,the NGC ANA Show label will be priced higher than pcgs NGC is where our gold kennedys are going
    any inside reports ???????? updates ??????????
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After waiting for over three months to get the HOF gold coin and then getting nothing in the end after they emailed me a shipping date, the mint has one more chance. If I can't get on line and get a coin today, I'm going to turn my back on this crap and let the grading services and the market manipulators play their games. Collecting should be fun. Messing with this is not.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I agree Bill.

• Who is going to buy these things when minted to demand. Sometimes I'm just embarrassed to be human.
  • Im in line at the Philadelphia mint 90% of the people here are all jobless types getting paid to stand in line.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya thats what i'm talking about. There will be some new collectors in there some where. image

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>After waiting for over three months to get the HOF gold coin and then getting nothing in the end after they emailed me a shipping date, the mint has one more chance. If I can't get on line and get a coin today, I'm going to turn my back on this crap and let the grading services and the market manipulators play their games. Collecting should be fun. Messing with this is not. >>

THis is mint to demand. If you do not get on today you should have no problem tonight or tomorrow. If you are not in a hurry to flip

you will have no problem getting one by ordering after the rush. If not getting coins that are to be minted to demand occurs than that

will be a real problem.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this activity may spark new collector interest in Kennedy halves, at least for a while.

I'm tempted to pick up a 1998-S uncirculated silver Kennedy from the commemorative set for around $200. It still has a chance of remaining the key (mintage 63K) after the dust settles.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Philly line was loaded with kids with wristbands. Also looked like loads of college
    Age kids as well. Anyone who camped out overnight got wristbands well before
    Line started forming
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All this activity may spark new collector interest in Kennedy halves, at least for a while.

I'm tempted to pick up a 1998-S uncirculated silver Kennedy from the commemorative set for around $200. It still has a chance of remaining the key (mintage 63K) after the dust settles. >>

If many of those new collectors get treated the way I was with the HOF gold coin, they will be looking for a new hobby.

The Gray Sheet says that the HOF gold coin in Proof has bid of $640. That sounds like a nice profit over the issue price, but I've never seen a dealer pay the Gray Sheet price for a modern commemorative coin. It's always something lower than that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No coin for me today. We were around 550 in line apparently. Close but no Kennedy!!!
  • Holy crap, that's insane! Was going to get one from the mint... not so sure now. Feel like all of these special labels will devalue the typical 70 FS. Probably get a graded one for a little more than mint price.

Funny story. Checked my email this morning. Got one from an ebay seller. Must've bought a coin from them in the past. They were paying $250 if you sent a unopened, sealed box of 5 to them. They had a set of step-by-step instructions. The kicker was the last step said something like "We promise to send you a check within 5 days of receiving the box." I seriously laughed out loud.

Edit: Forgot my mini-rant. I used to collect baseball cards. I slowed when grading became the norm. I stopped when companies went insane with special inserts. I'm starting to feel the same level of disgust with these coin show labels...
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $6K/coin (counting the freebie) - good for the sellers. Pretty good money for a little work!

I wonder what kind of deal that ST worked out for labeling of these first four coins. As many know, my son bought the first HOF Coins sold in Balto. This was discussed in all of the major coin mags, on TV, on the Mint Facebook page, on the Whittman wev site and J. Marc Landry of the Mint even signed his gold proof COA "First coin sold" in front of the cameras. Still, neither of the TPGs would certify it as such. I am very interested to see if ST can get PCGS or NGC to cert these as first sold.

As noted at the time, he (a 10 year old!) was bombarded by dealers offering big $ for the coin but didn't sell. I wonder if the ST guy was one of them.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the money and run. image

Hoard the keys.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    This whole thing is amusing and marginally pathetic at the same time. Sort of like watching a train wreck. You know it's bad, but you cannot take your eyes off of it!

It would be cooler if they were all Fair-2 to AG-3 Genuine Details Chain Cents laden with problems that would get some special show label. Chain side up and identifiable.
    Anybody at the D.C. sales desk? If so, what's the line like?
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Refresh time is already slowing down.

<< <i>Take the money and run. image >>

You could always buy another that was not # 1 being the only difference and enjoy the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silvertown pays $20,000 for first four coins >>

Two of the four appear to be from the same household. Will they each get one?

• Did I just order one, or was it a mirage?
    Let's try not to get upset.

• << <i>

<< <i>Take the money and run. image >>

You could always buy another that was not # 1 being the only difference and enjoy the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>

I agree with that. Nothing special about the first four, other than the outlandish price and the publicity splash for ST.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im in line at the Philadelphia mint 90% of the people here are all jobless types getting paid to stand in line. >>

Cool ! A person has to be somewhere, why not get paid to be in a line. This whole thing about the US Mint releasing
    Coins at Coin Shows is getting nutzoid , though. The publicity has got to be good for the Coin World.
    Catalog suspended...15 minute countdown showing to opening waiting room

• Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I have "joined" the waiting room.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Me too, had to use IE chrome did not work for me...
  • kimon1230kimon1230 Posts: 747 ✭✭
    I would say this is the waiting room to enter the waiting room
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our catalog website will temporarily close at 11:45 a.m. ET today to prepare for a product launch at noon. Please be sure to complete your purchases before that time.

Commemorative Coins

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • I received an order confirmation from the Mint website at 10:37. Did I really order one, or did I buy a Code Talker by mistake?

WTF? I just received an email from the Mint CANCELING my order.
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>I have "joined" the waiting room. >>

Actually you are in the wait room waiting to get into the actual wait room.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received an order confirmation from the Mint website at 10:37. Did I really order one, or did I buy a Code Talker by mistake? >>

If you did, it'll get cancelled. The mint is very specific on that.

<< <i>Our catalog website will temporarily close at 11:45 a.m. ET today to prepare for a product launch at noon. Please be sure to complete your purchases before that time.

Commemorative Coins >>

Copy that.
    Notice in tiny gray font at the bottom of the countdown a queue ID

• I'm in a waiting room to get into a waiting room to buy a coin that I'm not going to buy ...... image

• << <i>

<< <i>I received an order confirmation from the Mint website at 10:37. Did I really order one, or did I buy a Code Talker by mistake? >>

If you did, it'll get cancelled. The mint is very specific on that. >>

You were quite correct. I wonder why it was even possible to "order" one in the first place ...

This is reminding me of when I got shut out on the GSAs as a kid. Busy signal for days.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Smartdriver.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

• << <i>Notice in tiny gray font at the bottom of the countdown a queue ID >>

I opened 7 windows between IE and Chrome to test it out... 1 is different from the rest.

Can you only have 1 on IE and 1 on Chrome?
    In the waiting room est time 12 minutes

• goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭
    28 min wait time already
    estimated wait time 23 minutes, then 17, then 30.
  • 42-minute wait time. GSA nightmare all over again.

Bye-bye, JFK.
  • nagsnags Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    9 Minutes for me
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    My wait time is 43 minutes. <sigh>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    My waiting time is 3 minutes which is a good time. Figures. I am not ordering. Just wanted to see how long I have to wait. Maybe not as popular an item.
    Says I'll be in in 5 minutes...we'll see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file