Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is really going to bite on these coins that have been ordered and the bags shipped is when the orders get cancelled and everyone is stuck with the $4.95 charge for the bag and no coin that was part of the order.

All the bags have shipped and the $4.95 has been charged.

The coins as part of that order will be shipped free now.

Maybe, if they don't run out first. >>

Well, if that happens I will be a SUPER unhappy camper since I've got a bag paid for and coming for all my orders on the early morning of 4/28.

Remain confident those orders will process...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

• << <i>New numbers through 4/13/2014:

B31 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF 39,187
    B32 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD UNC 21,993
    B33 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 275,516
    B34 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 144,973
    B35 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD PROOF 111,017
    B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 69,445 >>

Where do you find these numbers on the mint site? image

Thanks!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    L&C Coins PCGS First Strike MS 70 Gold $1500/PF 70 $1350. MCM states PCGS maybe in 2 weeks, but no guarantee that they will even offer PCGS.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    So the Mint has oversold the silver by over 20k coins AND they are still listed for sale (with waiting list).

Do they REALLY think that there will be that many cancellations/CC snafus that they need MORE than 20,000 extra orders? What's the goal...50k extra just in case?image
    Makes you wonder if the 20K extra were dealers or real collectors. I think there will be a lot recycling of these coins back to the collector. Dealers will be picking the best. But if prices hold on the silver raws the dealers probably would not return them.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    My guess on that is that the dealers will get their defective coins replaced with good ones and the defective coins will be shipped to other collectors.

I have no faith in the mint at all.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCM states PCGS maybe in 2 weeks, but no guarantee that they will even offer PCGS

Just a scare tactic to try to entice you to buy NGC so they can unload them first.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess on that is that the dealers will get their defective coins replaced with good ones and the defective coins will be shipped to other collectors.

I have no faith in the mint at all. >>

This is the most absurd post I have seen in a while. You don't know how the system works. They don't have to send their coins back because they get the best to begin with!

I,m only kidding Jesse.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So the Mint has oversold the silver by over 20k coins AND they are still listed for sale (with waiting list).

Do they REALLY think that there will be that many cancellations/CC snafus that they need MORE than 20,000 extra orders? What's the goal...50k extra just in case?image >>

I have no inside information on US Mint policy but here's my thoughts:
    o It seems that the US Mint wants a waiting list of 15-20% over the maximum so that it accounts for order cancellations, bad credit cards, returns, etc. Unless returned coins are really damaged, they would probably be resold.
    o The sales for the gold coins accelerated greatly on the wait list before the US Mint was able to close the orders and create a sell-out.
    o For the silver coins, it seems that there is some sales to go. As a side observation, silver coin sales rushed to create the waiting list, but the waiting list sales seems to have slowed. We are not at the sell-out number which would be about 50,000 (or 450,000 total sales).

Just my guess.
  • badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    My order, 4299XXXX, placed during the waiting list notification, 29 Mar @ 8:07 pm for a gold proof shows the bag shipped. I called the Mint and asked the CSR if I was paying $4.95 for a free bag and she said all indications are the coin will ship later (7 Jul shown). Must be getting a fair number of returns/cancellations etc.

Never a dull moment.
    Highly unlikely that the less than perfect gold is being returned by the dealers since they can get about double the price right now.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>THIS SAYS DOLLARS SOLD OUT. >>

Except they're still taking wait list orders. I expect they'll still take orders for a few more days...

Adjusted numbers (April 15):

B31 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF 32,026 N
    B32 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD UNC 17,974 N
    B33 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 262,091 N
    B34 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 137,909 N
    B35 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD PROOF 111,017 Y
    B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 69,445 Y
  • wow my order of $5 gold actually shipped out today.image
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the latest GOLD purchase time that has actually shipped at this time?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 5 clad-proofs today and all I have to say is...Thank God that this was the only coin struck in SF!!! Horrible QC as expected from the City by the bay! I'm not even going to return them, but they look like they were ran through batting practice before leaving the mint facility. Pathetic and I'll bet the number of 70's for this series that comes from SF will for certain be the lowest percentage by a long shot image

...I am looking forward to getting all the rest of the goods...from the mints that know how to strike coins image

Erik

• << <i>What's the latest GOLD purchase time that has actually shipped at this time? >>

I completed the order (that just shipped) within 10 minutes of the opening bell.

They also just shipped the bag separately, which is from another HOF order placed about a week ago. Coins from that order has a shipping ETA of June.

<< <i>

Except they're still taking wait list orders. I expect they'll still take orders for a few more days...

B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 69,445 Y >>

Hmmmm...how come the updated 4/15 order numbers are significantly less than the 4/13 order numbers from Virginia Collector 12 posts above yours???...and the gold and silver nicely add up to 50k and 400k even though we KNOW there were more orders than that
    The mint needs to mint all the coins at once BEFORE putting them on sale and mailing them out as soon as they are sold.

They established a schedule for this year before it started and should keep to that schedule.

This BS of minting a few thousand and then selling them leaving thousands of people waiting has to stop.

They then send the few they have minted to who they want to send them to pi$$ing everybody off but their friends who got the coins.

Then they have a convenient inventory in the middle of shipping the coins to buy a little more time for them to go back and make some more.

They use the excuse that they didn't know how many of each variety to make, that is why they did not produce the full amount in the first place.

They should have enough experience to know how many to make and do it as they know the amount that has been authorized by congress.

If congress is wrong, so what, there is nothing NEW there.

<< <i>The mint needs to mint all the coins at once BEFORE putting them on sale and mailing them out as soon as they are sold >>

I couldn't agree more but they would have to change the way they do mintage limits. They can't put the total at 50k for BOTH coins...they would have to do 25k/25k or some other defined limit of EACH

...and some of these issues DON'T sell out so they would be stuck with a bunch of unsold coins taking up space> There are some 2009 products STILL for sale 5 years later

Mint to demand is great for the Mint but kinda sucks for collectors. No limits and forever to get your coins.

Another try was the start selling in November with a shipping date in March (Franklin Set)..that was a weird try...
    They do not have to say 50K for both coins as they know the percentages that will sell of both coins.

As for minting too many they can melt them at the end of the year and maybe they will not make so many next year.

Start running the business as if would hurt your pocketbook instead of ours.

If we ran our businesses like they run the mint we would be bankrupt within a year.

There is no harm in not making enough coins as that is what makes coin collecting interesting.

<< <i>

<< <i>

B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 69,445 Y >>

Hmmmm...how come the updated 4/15 order numbers are significantly less than the 4/13 order numbers from Virginia Collector 12 posts above yours???...and the gold and silver nicely add up to 50k and 400k even though we KNOW there were more orders than that >>

Actually, Virginia Collector is quoting me. image

The Monday numbers which become available but are not official seem to be the raw numbers. These numbers are always adjusted down to the maximum mintage on both the web page and spreadsheet before they become official on Tuesday. Don't want to imply they've sold more than the law allows, I guess. And if you've followed the numbers, the mint is getting specific with the PR/MS split.

We will (probably) see the same thing next week (or the week after) for the 5oz ATB Smoky Mountain collector puck. Six days on sale, 25K max mintage, over 80% sold. That's fast for a puck.
    So the only change we will see with the numbers you just posted if for the clads.....which everyone should hurry and order as there are only, oh, around a half million left

I like the other report better as I can see how much the silver is over sold and still seems to be on sale....

<< <i>Where do you find these numbers on the mint site? image

Thanks! >>

Sorry, didn't see this until the previous post. image

Go to the US Sales page here. On Monday afternoon/evening, they will update the "All data to date" spreadsheet, but not the web page. The officially quotable numbers and web page updates become available the afternoon/evening the next day.
    Dealing with the mint is like trying to decide if you want to have your tooth pulled or not.

It's the pain now or wait to see if the pain might go away.
  • Date: 03/27/2014 at 01:18 PM

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 4 $51.95 $207.80 In stock and reserved
    2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF 3 $424.75 $1,274.25 3 units backordered. Expected to ship on 04/16/2014.
    2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD PROOF 5 $19.95 $99.75 5 units shipped on 04/15/2014
    UNITED STATES MINT REUSABLE BAG 1 $0.00 $0.00 1 unit shipped on 04/15/2014

I'll point out that today is 4/16 and I truly do NOT expect them to ship today, but it would be a lovely surprise.

BTW, in talking to the mint, I found out why my clad was delayed so long: I should have put them on a separate order. They said that all orders over $250 require manual verification and that was causing many orders to remain on hold for weeks.

Something to remember for next time.

<< <i>So the only change we will see with the numbers you just posted if for the clads.....which everyone should hurry and order as there are only, oh, around a half million left

I like the other report better as I can see how much the silver is over sold and still seems to be on sale.... >>

The mint is still taking orders for the virtual waiting list. We should see higher silver numbers Monday before they're adjusted down Tuesday. Au jumped from 49K over to 51K after sell-out, so we should see the same for the Ag until it's officially sold out.

And the mint is quoting sales down to the coin. It'll be interesting to see if the numbers fluctuate as people cancel orders. image (It wouldn't be hard to do. Maybe the mint wants to get more current with final sales numbers, instead of the usual months you have to wait.)

But yep. I'm interested to see if they're able to sell THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION of those clad babies. Half of me says they actually might.

<< <i>

Thanks! >>

Go to the US Sales page here. On Monday afternoon/evening, they will update the "All data to date" spreadsheet, but not the web page. The officially quotable numbers and web page updates become available the afternoon/evening the next day. >>

I have been looking at that Tuesday report for a long time and never notice the spreadsheet link.....image

Thanks!
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just talked to Mint rep, she said NO gold before May 5th which is a Monday.....@#$%^&amp;*image

• << <i>Just talked to Mint rep, she said NO gold before May 5th which is a Monday.....@#$%^&amp;*image >>

How lovely. Just in time to possibly NOT make the PCGS First Strike cut off of May 6th.

Time to start canceling these coins to teach them a lesson in why they should mint all of what they are going to sell before they sell them.

If we cant get 1st strike then these things will drop in price real quick.

<< <i>Just talked to Mint rep, she said NO gold before May 5th which is a Monday.....@#$%^&amp;*image >>

Nice...and I go on vacation for a week on the 6th...

• << <i>

Thanks! >>

Go to the US Sales page here. On Monday afternoon/evening, they will update the "All data to date" spreadsheet, but not the web page. The officially quotable numbers and web page updates become available the afternoon/evening the next day. >>

Thanks BRJ!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    Like many here, I bought as early as I could on the first day so that I would have an opportunity (and time) to send them in for First Strike. If the opportunity for First Strike is lost due to the delays caused by the Mint, I may well cancel my orders. Those on the wait list or others who don't care about wait list will benefit.

The Mint just can't seem to issue, sell and deliver in a functional business like manner. Every time there is a popular issue the Mint manages to do something to screw things up. No other business could operate like this and continually get away with it. The Mint has a monopoly as they are the only direct source and they know that their customers (who they appreciate so much as to give free 25 cent bags to) have nowhere else to go.

Personally, I am very bothered by the way the US Mint does business and how in particular this issue has been handled and how it continues to be handled. But the thing that bothers me the most is knowing that nothing is going to change. The system is broken and the Mint can't fix itself. It's a typical bureaucratic government entity that really does not care for its customers. As long as they can sell what they produce they could care less how long it takes to deliver or who they sell to.

If I didn't care so much about trying to get the first coins minted (not returns) and if I didn't care about getting them graded then perhaps this would not bother me so much. But the Mint has to understand that for the most part they are selling a product to COLLECTORS who value quality and many like me who want to grade them to protect their value.

Finally (my rant is almost over) not knowing when the coins purchased weeks ago will shop and worse not knowing if a coin will ever become in stock and reserved is maddening. The Mint's lack of transparency and lack of open communication (remember all the FOIA requests of the past that have taken months or years to shed light on what the Mint has actually done/produced) only makes matters worse. Would it be so difficult for the Mint to provide some kind of weekly update as to what is going on?

If there is anyone at the US Mint that reads these blogs and really cares about customers, please provide some updates, share what is going on. Notify your customers as to their order status. Don't expect us to call customer service, who lets be honest don't have a clue what is going on and can only tell you what you want to hear or what they think is going on. Is the someone who does not whats going on?? Who can be courteous enough to provide that information????

To Whom it may concern at the US Mint: Please provide an update on the status of the orders for the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame issue. When will you be notifying customers of their order status and when do you plan on delivering these coins? If you really care about your customers you will apologize and you will provide the information. Now let me give you my deadline. You have until May 5th to deliver the coins that I ordered on March 27th, that should be plenty of time for a big government institution like you. If you cannot deliver what you sold to me in a reasonable amount of time then my orders will be cancelled. Now prove me wrong and demonstrate that you do care about your customers and that you don't want anyone to cancel their orders - PROVIDE AN UPDATE AND DELIVER WHAT YOU SOLD!!!
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
    I agree 100% on everything you say with the exception of the time I will allow them.

My first order was at 1:11 pm on the 27'th and they have not even shipped it yet.

If I do not have a shipping number for all 12 of my orders by the 2nd of May the balance of them will be cancelled.

I too have had it with the mint.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like many here, I bought as early as I could on the first day so that I would have an opportunity (and time) to send them in for First Strike. If the opportunity for First Strike is lost due to the delays caused by the Mint, I may well cancel my orders. Those on the wait list or others who don't care about wait list will benefit.

The Mint just can't seem to issue, sell and deliver in a functional business like manner. Every time there is a popular issue the Mint manages to do something to screw things up. No other business could operate like this and continually get away with it. The Mint has a monopoly as they are the only direct source and they know that their customers (who they appreciate so much as to give free 25 cent bags to) have nowhere else to go.

Personally, I am very bothered by the way the US Mint does business and how in particular this issue has been handled and how it continues to be handled. But the thing that bothers me the most is knowing that nothing is going to change. The system is broken and the Mint can't fix itself. It's a typical bureaucratic government entity that really does not care for its customers. As long as they can sell what they produce they could care less how long it takes to deliver or who they sell to.

If I didn't care so much about trying to get the first coins minted (not returns) and if I didn't care about getting them graded then perhaps this would not bother me so much. But the Mint has to understand that for the most part they are selling a product to COLLECTORS who value quality and many like me who want to grade them to protect their value.

Finally (my rant is almost over) not knowing when the coins purchased weeks ago will shop and worse not knowing if a coin will ever become in stock and reserved is maddening. The Mint's lack of transparency and lack of open communication (remember all the FOIA requests of the past that have taken months or years to shed light on what the Mint has actually done/produced) only makes matters worse. Would it be so difficult for the Mint to provide some kind of weekly update as to what is going on?

If there is anyone at the US Mint that reads these blogs and really cares about customers, please provide some updates, share what is going on. Notify your customers as to their order status. Don't expect us to call customer service, who lets be honest don't have a clue what is going on and can only tell you what you want to hear or what they think is going on. Is the someone who does not whats going on?? Who can be courteous enough to provide that information????

To Whom it may concern at the US Mint: Please provide an update on the status of the orders for the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame issue. When will you be notifying customers of their order status and when do you plan on delivering these coins? If you really care about your customers you will apologize and you will provide the information. Now let me give you my deadline. You have until May 5th to deliver the coins that I ordered on March 27th, that should be plenty of time for a big government institution like you. If you cannot deliver what you sold to me in a reasonable amount of time then my orders will be cancelled. Now prove me wrong and demonstrate that you do care about your customers and that you don't want anyone to cancel their orders - PROVIDE AN UPDATE AND DELIVER WHAT YOU SOLD!!! >>

Is there a law that says you can not sell a item if it is not in stock?

Hoard the keys.
    If there is not a law to that effect there should be and ebay should not allow it either.

• << <i>If there is not a law to that effect there should be and ebay should not allow it either. >>

Not all the BB coins on the bay are presales image
    Ive had mine for about a week now.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a law that says you can not sell a item if it is not in stock? >>

No. But if you do, it should be your focus to keep those who ordered informed. Every day if necessary on the status of the order and the steps you are taking to insure timely delivery. These steps are deliberately ignored by the mint. The lame excuse the mint spokesman gave that they didn't have time to inform customers about the bag shipments is verification. Didn't have time to send a quick email to all who ordered over $75 that the bag would ship separetly and only one shipping charge would be billed per order? What, you didn't have 30 seconds to compose a quick note?

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just talked to Mint rep, she said NO gold before May 5th which is a Monday.....@#$%^&amp;*image >>

Curious how these delays effect the presales that I see on EBay?
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>Like many here, I bought as early as I could on the first day so that I would have an opportunity (and time) to send them in for First Strike. If the opportunity for First Strike is lost due to the delays caused by the Mint, I may well cancel my orders. Those on the wait list or others who don't care about wait list will benefit.

>>

I'm sure you are wrong about the cost of the bag. It's probably at least 26 cents image

As to the mint, aren't they controlled by Congress? Does Congress provide a budget for staffing and infrastructure? Does the Mint itself have any say as to where its profits go?

I'm asking questions that may be rhetorical, but I do not know the answers, so that is not my intent.
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

To Whom it may concern at the US Mint: Please provide an update on the status of the orders for the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame issue. When will you be notifying customers of their order status and when do you plan on delivering these coins? If you really care about your customers you will apologize and you will provide the information. Now let me give you my deadline. You have until May 5th to deliver the coins that I ordered on March 27th, that should be plenty of time for a big government institution like you. If you cannot deliver what you sold to me in a reasonable amount of time then my orders will be cancelled. Now prove me wrong and demonstrate that you do care about your customers and that you don't want anyone to cancel their orders - PROVIDE AN UPDATE AND DELIVER WHAT YOU SOLD!!! >>

Hi Burnie,

I think it's better if you post this message on usmint Facebook, cause they do read and replied people questions. Here is the link .
    Usmint Facebook link
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any orders cancelled here will gladly be accepted by folks who are on the waiting list. PCGS stands to lose the most by delayed shipping..............oh and the dummies who presold these coins on eBay.
    I made the mistake of pre-selling a lot of 7 Silver on ebay because I had a "in stock and reserved" with a delivery date of 4/3.

Now I have a 4/16 date and that has gone by now.

I am fortunate that I have a buyer that understands and will wait for them.

This BS about an inventory that is just a scam so they can buy more time to make the coins they should have made already.

The big boys got their coins though I know that.

• No one should pre sale from the mint. I don't mind waiting, they don't charge your card until they ship.
  • I got some silver unc with a backorder date for today, I wonder if they will ship.
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>I made the mistake of pre-selling a lot of 7 Silver on ebay because I had a "in stock and reserved" with a delivery date of 4/3.

This BS about an inventory that is just a scam so they can buy more time to make the coins they should have made already.

The big boys got their coins though I know that. >>

No, that's definitely wrong.

Suppose they had minted 50,000 gold and nobody bought? People would be screaming about government waste.

Some "big boys" got them. Some didn't. You see many for sale at the "big boys"?

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The big boys got their coins though I know that. >>

How do you know?
    You could be considered a semi-bigboy from what you have reported ordering. Don't get me wrong, go for what you want and more power to ya. And your not wrong that the mint bungles it every time there is a popular release...EVERY TIME! Then apparently they never learn a lesson so we can only assume that this is the way they want to operate. They only offer lip service that they are listening. HA! How can our voices of discontent be heard? Through coin publication? Please. They are so softball and non confrontational it is laughable.

<< <i>

<< <i>I made the mistake of pre-selling a lot of 7 Silver on ebay because I had a "in stock and reserved" with a delivery date of 4/3.

The big boys got their coins though I know that. >>

No, that's definitely wrong.

Suppose they had minted 50,000 gold and nobody bought? People would be screaming about government waste.

Some "big boys" got them. Some didn't. You see many for sale at the "big boys"? >>

What they could have done then is to take orders but tell everyone when the shipping date was going to be, not give us dates that they knew could not be maintained.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file