Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always washed my 'dirty clad' prior to spending or cashing in.... just a courtesy effort...Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. A day spinning in the rock tumbler with some sand and Comet
    Separate batches for clad and Memorials. Then used the cash to buy a coin I want

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I only dug 32 U.S. silver coins in 2018, versus 102 last year. Even though the finds were relatively few, they represented a good variety of coins, including my first ever Barber half.

I didn't have as much time as usual to hunt this year. I took a new job that demands most of my time, my father died, and winter came early this year. Considering the circumstances, I think I had a decent season.

I've been looking for years to find a detector that would complement my Etrac. I acquired a Minelab Equinox 600 in February, and it is filling that role nicely. My favorite two finds of the year were found with the Equinox: a 1917 Mercury dime in outstanding condition and a 1904 Barber half.

The finds break down as follows:

Silver:
    1 Barber dime
    10 Mercury dimes
    12 Silver Roosevelt dimes
    1 Standing Liberty quarter
    3 Silver Washington quarters
    1 Barber half (my first ever)
    4 War nickels
    A small quantity of silver rings and other jewelry

Obsolete non-silver coins:
    1 Large cent
    2 Liberty nickels
    6 Buffalo nickels
    2 George VI Canadian cents
    Approximately 185 Wheat cents

I never expected to find a Barber half; but, now that I have, I'd also like to find a Barber quarter. A Franklin half would also be nice. Anything scarcer than that, such as seated coins or a silver dollar would be an unexpected surprise.

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Man, Those are some amazing coin finds, and just wicked numbers, for one year! Congratulations! Sorry about the loss of your father though. That's a tough one.

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

You have done amazingly well..... finding silver coins is great... I am surprised that more Walking Liberty halves are not found (of course, fifty cents was good money back then)...Best of luck in 2019...Cheers, RickO

Just a wheat cent this past Saturday.

Three wheat cents and a Buffalo nickel with the Equinox today.

Judging by what you found, I would say you have an older, and likely unsearched, area....or at least barely searched...Cheers, RickO

I finally had a day with some decent finds: four silver dimes, two Buffalo nickels, and eight wheat cents. The dimes are 1953, 1951-D, 1946, and 1943. The Buffalo nickels were both in the same hole. One is a 1923 and the other needs some chemical cleaning to get a date. I also dug another old nickel spill nearby. Unfortunately it was a pair of 1954 nickels.

That certainly indicates a prime MD spot... old and not searched.... Cheers, RickO

1925 Mercury dime and two wheat cents today.

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Great read-thru!

Three Mercury dimes today: 1942, 1944-D, and 1936-D. I also dug nine wheat cents today.

@Bayard1908 ... You are consistent with the old silver and wheaties... Are these all from the same area? Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @Bayard1908 ... You are consistent with the old silver and wheaties... Are these all from the same area? Cheers, RickO

I've dug eight silver dimes this month. They came from four different sites.

It rained and snowed all day yesterday. Today I dug a 1964-D quarter and four wheat cents.

Nice finds.... Frost here this morning, but looks like it will warm up later. Cheers, RickO

Just an older wheat cent today, think it's a 1918-D.

Five wheat cents today, including a 1910. I also dug what I think is a wheat cent that has been run over by a train.

If your site is near a railroad track, that is quite common... many of those coins are not found after the train squishes them.... We use to lose about forty percent of the coins we put on tracks... Cheers, RickO

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great that you are still finding all that silver <3

edited May 18, 2019 9:11PM

Ten wheat cents and a 14K gold ring today.

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

nice! would like pics of the ring

Gold rings are exciting to find....Which reminds me.... I have been meaning to MD the local park lover's lane area... I bet a few rings were thrown away after bitter break ups....Sad for them, good deal for me... ;) Cheers, RickO

I had a decent day with the Equinox 600 today: 1941 Mercury dime, four wheat cents, and a sterling silver Batman ring.

Great finds...and a sliver Batman ring as well... I continue to be amazed at the site (or sites) you are searching... you always find older coins (such as Mercs and wheaties).... How about a picture of the ring? Cheers, RickO

Another good day with the Equinox at the same site: 1898 Barber dime and four wheat cents.

Nice find on the 14K ring and the 98 Barber dime. WTG Your parks are like the silver beach for PCGS69 B)

Wow... an 1898 silver dime.... great find...Next you need to find a Morgan silver dollar... :) Good luck, Cheers, RickO

edited June 9, 2019 3:44AM

I did pretty well yesterday: 1934-D Mercury dime, 1939 Mercury dime, four wheat cents, and a silver stud earring with a huge gaudy stone. The 1934-D dime is the 300th U.S. silver coin I've ever found, and the 1939 is #301.

Very nice finds... silver is always a pleasure to dig....and as always, that site produces wheaties too....the jewelry is a bonus...Cheers, RickO

edited June 18, 2019 8:07PM

I didn't have much time to detect today, but, still managed to do fairly well: 1943-S war nickel, 1903 Liberty nickel, and a wheat cent. This is my first war nickel of the year.

The only reason I found the war nickel was because there was a railroad smashed cent right next to it that gave off a 12-39 signal. The war nickel by itself gives off a 12-22 signal, way higher than it should and not a signal I'd normally dig. I also dug three monopoly pieces today: the dog, shoe, and iron.

Congrats on your silver count. How many Monopoly pieces have you found?

Nice find.. an S war nickel... I have never found monopoly pieces... It is surprising you find so many... Cheers, RickO

I went detecting for a while today, no silver though. Instead I got four wheat cents, a steel cent, a .32 Short Rimfire cartridge case, and most of a tiny toy revolver that I believe is from the 1920s or 1930s.

Most of the wheat cents and the steel cent were part of a coin spill. The spill was a 1940 nickel, three wheat cents, and the steel cent. I haven't had a chance to look at the dates on the wheat cents, would be surprised if they're not 1940s.

Nice finds... and pocket spills are interesting, in that they can generally date the period of loss...Let us know about the cents...Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... and pocket spills are interesting, in that they can generally date the period of loss...Let us know about the cents...Cheers, RickO

The coin spill was a 1940 nickel, a steel cent, and three wheat cents from 1940, 1947, and 1948.

I visited five new sites on Saturday: 1962-D dime, three wheat cents, and a sterling silver crucifix. The crucifix is odd because part of it is styled to look like a bird.

Two silver finds.... Nice day.... Cheers, RickO

I got out today for a little while before the weather turned too hot. I found a 1964 dime and a wheat cent,

You continue to pile up the silver....Cheers, RickO

I found some time to get out today: 1964-D dime, two wheat cents, and a silver ring.

And the silver keeps rolling in.... You are finding a lot... What type of ring? Cheers, RickO

I only had one hour to detect this weekend: two wheat cents, an old 5 cent trade token, what I think is a good luck token shaped like a sheriff's badge, and a milk glass jar that used to contain Shasta Cream Shampoo.

What? No silver? ;) How unusual for you..... I guess it happens, but you have sure been on a silver roll lately...Good luck the next time out... Cheers, RickO

Today's finds were a 1941 Mercury dime and two wheat cents.

There's the silver.... I knew it would appear again... ;) ... and the dependable wheaties as well....Keep swinging that coil... Cheers, RickO

Today I dug a 1923 Mercury dime and ten wheat cents.

Very nice.... silver and wheaties... What a great area you have....Cheers, RickO

• The first year after our marriage, my wife bought a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV detector for my birthday which is in early February. For Valentine's day, I bought her a card, along with a box of chocolates, and a stuffed teddy bear. After she opened what I had for her, she said "Your valentines gift is out in the backyard." "I asked what are you talking about"? She replied, "I bought a roll of quarters and threw them all over the back yard and you have to go find them with you new M D.". We lived in Colorado at that time and it does snow there. I found all of them plus another two plus dollars that she didn't plant. That got me hooked. Over about 12 years I totaled over $3,900 in coins, over 100 rings, of which 8 of them are gold. One coin I found is an 1887-S Five dollar gold coin. Not bad for only using the machine I had.