Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not at all familiar with the Nox.... guess I should research a bit... Thanks for mentioning it.. Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    Some of the people in our group are saying the Nox is a great machine and one of even going to sell his CTX after he began using the Nox. I’d love to see both machines on a deep target and see how they pan out.

The Equinox has an imprecise depth meter. This weakness alone is enough to make me keep my Etrac as my primary machine.

If a person had a CTX strictly as a beach and water machine, I could see giving it up for an Equinox. I'm sure the Equinox is putting pressure on used CTX prices. I've seen a couple sell for under $1000 recently.

One of the metal detecting forums has a post on the comparison you envision, with the Equinox giving a more compelling signal.

I dug another wheat cent today. I ran into a guy who had a $50 metal detector and didn't know how to swing it. He had the coil three or four inches off the ground, and lifted the coil up like a pendulum at each end of his swing. I figured he was a beginner, and was going to tell him how to swing it properly. I asked him how long he had been detecting. He told me eight years; so, I decided not to say anything about his technique.

I would have talked to him a while and then suggested some improvements in technique if the tone of the conversation appeared receptive to help..... Some MD'rs just have not had any instruction or guidance and just developed their own methods...Cheers, RickO

Yet another wheat cent with the new machine.

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

How many wheats are you up to this year?

edited May 14, 2018 10:10PM

@pcgs69 said:
    How many wheats are you up to this year?

I had to look through this thread to find out, 77.

Wow... 77 wheaties already.... Not sure how many areas you MD... but that is reflective of older territory... Cheers, RickO

I visited three new sites today. I dug the oldest nickel I've ever found, 1891. I also dug six wheat cents.

With the amount of old coins you find, you must live in the Northeast....Great finds...Cheers, RickO

edited May 26, 2018 12:02PM

1942 quarter and 1960 dime with the new machine today.

Nice.... two silvers.... I assume you also find pull tabs and other junk that you do not bother mentioning... and I understand that. Just recalling my park hunting days and all the trash with so few treasures. Speaking of few treasures, cache hunting has far fewer. The real fun - but seldom rewarding - is chasing a 'legend' trove.... one always goes out with great expectations... rarely return with anything except enjoyment of a good day. Cheers, RickO

edited May 29, 2018 8:27AM

@ricko said:
    Nice.... two silvers.... I assume you also find pull tabs and other junk that you do not bother mentioning... and I understand that. Just recalling my park hunting days and all the trash with so few treasures.

I don't usually mention clad or junk. The 1942 quarter and 1960 dime were found in a park while I was on vacation in Florida. One of the holes I dug there resulted in me getting about 30 fire ant bites.

Unless I'm chasing old nickels, I don't usually dig up much junk other than old aluminum screw caps. Digging nickel signals will get me some pulltabs and sometimes a piece of gold.

@Bayard1908 ...Yes, the junk is not worth mentioning... I agree... just checking though, in case you had found MD nirvana.... sites with no junk.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

Two wheat cents today.

Three more wheat cents with the new machine today.

Wheat cents are good... and there are some key coins in the old series...Cheers, RickO

Today's finds: 1946 dime, one wheat cent, and a sterling necklace with a pendant marked Tiffany & Co. I also dug up a toy car in rough shape, probably from the 1950s.

Silver is good.... along with the wheat cent indicates an older site and possibly more good finds. Cheers, RickO

I visited six new sites today. All I got was four wheat cents and a bunch of clad.

Wow.... long day of searching...and not your usual great finds.... Cheers, RickO

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the ground where you are hunting pretty dry and crumbley?

@pocketpiececommems....It is very dry here in the Catskills... even after a bit of rain a couple of days ago... ground soaked it right up and the heat now has it dry again. Cheers, RickO

• I didn't go out today. It is 108º here and I didn't want to take a chance on my machine melting. Good luck everybody.

@metaldetectinghound said:
    I didn't go out today. It is 108º here and I didn't want to take a chance on my machine melting. Good luck everybody.

And definitely don't want to leave the machine in a hot pickup with the windows rolled up :'(

You might have melted too!

Yep... way too hot around here for time in the sun.... Cheers, RickO

I tried six new sites today. All I got, other than modern coins, was two wheat cents and a silver ring.

at least you got a silver ring! What does it look like? Older?

A silver ring is good.... That would make a day successful... and wheaties are always nice. Cheers, RickO

I took my new machine to the hunted out park for a brief hunt today. I got a deep signal that I thought was either two nickels close together, or, a large piece of junk.

I pinpointed as best I could and dug a deep plug. There was a 1947 nickel in the hole. It looked like it was dropped when brand new.

I rescanned the area and was now just getting a deep nickel signal. I dug a plug less than one foot away and got a 1936 Buffalo nickel at the same depth.

Nice finds... Nickels hold up well in most soils... Cheers, RickO

I visited several new sites today: 1946-D dime, 1935 Mercury dime, two wheat cents, one silver ring, and a silver item that may be an old keychain fob.

Nice silver finds and wheaties are good indication of a site's age.... What kind of ring?? Cheers, RickO

nice! would like to see a pic of the possible fob

Back to the same site: 1942-S war nickel and seven wheat cents.

Nice war nickel.... that site is producing well... obviously not searched by others... Cheers, RickO

Five new sites today: 1943 Mercury dime, three wheat cents, and a men's silver ring.

You are on a roll.... any picture of the silver ring? Cheers, RickO

Several new sites today: 1941-D Mercury dime and six wheat cents.

Great....silver and copper....Cheers, RickO

edited August 12, 2018 6:00PM

I took a short weekend trip and brought my new machine. I found a total of seven wheat cents today, five at a new location and two more at a site I've been to before. I also found a 1917 Mercury dime in outstanding condition. I'll post a photo when I get some time. I've dug over 100 Mercury dimes in the last few years and believe this 1917 is my second favorite of them all. It was probably dropped close to 100 years ago.

Wow... Nice finds... and that Merc sounds really nice. They seem to come out of the ground in great condition. Cheers, RickO

Now that’s no ordinary merc. A lot of meat left on that thing

That definitely is a nice Merc.....Thanks for posting the pictures. Cheers, RickO

Do you have. Dansco album for your Mercurys and Wheats? You should have quite a collection if you do. Like the bands on that 17

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Do you have. Dansco album for your Mercurys and Wheats? You should have quite a collection if you do. Like the bands on that 17

All my silver coins are in crown size flips with inserts telling when and where they were found. All my pre-1934 wheat cents are in a jar of olive oil. Some of them have been soaking for years.

@Bayard1908 ....I assume you change the olive oil periodically.... Cheers, RickO

Great day today with my new machine: three wheat cents and my first ever Barber half, a very worn 1904. I'll post photos later.