Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

I went back today and dug an 1894 Indian cent, six wheat cents, and a small army button. I also dug up an intact half pint milk bottle. It is embossed glass, not sure how old it is. I got a signal off its aluminum lid.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cents finds... was there still milk in the bottle?? ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I hunted for two and a half hours today with amazing results: four silver quarters and two silver dimes. I went to an old baseball diamond that I have never visited before. I hunted the majority of the infield and outfield without finding anything old other than a 12 inch deep piece of aluminum car trim. I dug several deep coins; but, they were either clad or memorial cents. I then hunted outside the fence, along the first base line, figuring this is where people watching the game would likely congregate. I still found nothing old. At this point, I concluded that this site was no good and decided to leave. Before leaving, I intended to use the outhouse on the other side of the field. I was relatively close to my car, and thought about putting my detector in the trunk before going to the outhouse, but figured it would be quicker to take it with me. I walked almost all the way over to the outhouse without swinging my detector, but, decided to do a little swinging once I got relatively close. I dug up several shallow clad quarters. I dug another shallow quarter signal, about three inches deep, and was surprised to find a 1943 quarter. I have several 1943 quarters in my dug collection and said to myself, "I wish it had been a 1943-D." I figured this coin must be a relatively recent drop since it was so shallow, just a fluke. Minutes later and about six feet away, I dug a shallow 1943-D quarter. Now I didn't know what to think. Minutes after that I dug a shallow 1963-D quarter in the same vicinity. The 1963-D quarter looked like it was dropped when brand new; so, I dismissed any ideas of these coins being recent drops. A while later and not far away, I got a good deep signal. I pulled a 1960-D quarter out of the hole. I've never dug four silver quarters in one day before. I replaced my plug and rechecked the hole. There was another deep quarter signal in there. I reopened the hole and dug a little deeper. I was rewarded with a 1965 quarter, lol. I dug one more deep coin spill before going home, a 1964-D dime along with a 1960-D dime. I didn't find any wheat cents today, very strange hunt.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats on a killer day on silver! It’s so bizarre trying to make sense of the depths coins are at. Your day certainly deserves a nice beer as you look through your silver.

• Options

Wow... great silver day....and strange as well.... both the location (after all the other areas were dry) and the amount of silver..... I wonder if in days gone by, there were bleachers there? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been hunting since the mid 70s. I once asked permission to hunt a church yard. The priest said yes but that it had been hunted. We found almost 1200 coins from that large churchyard. Lots of silver and Indians. Including s couple key dates, 21 Merc and a 14-D Lincoln. My favorite churchyard of all time , and it had already been hunted????? Always wondered who had been there before me. I bet whoever it was gave up detecting. If you couldn’t find something there you weren’t going to find anything anywhere
    Funny side note. I promised the priest I would be very careful digging. That he wouldn’t be able to see where I had dug, I only use a screwdriver. On my initial hunt he came out after I had been hunting about 30 minutes. Walked slowly in the area I had hunted. Then he told me he couldn’t see where I had been and I was welcome anytime. Anyway after that somebytellimg a place had been hunted didn’t bother me a bit.

• Options

Yep.... finding that many coins in a 'hunted' spot indicates an individual that either had poor equipment or lacked skills... Plus... no area is ever 'hunted out'.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricko
    I always take it as a challenge to find a keeper where someone was there before me. You’re 100% right, no place is hunted out. I would hate to think what I have left behind. Best wishes
    Jim

• Options

I hunted three new sites today. I got a 1943 Mercury dime, a 1959-D quarter, and seven wheat cents.

• Options

Wow... two silvers and a bunch of wheaties... Those new sites show promise. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Three wheat cents on a very short hunt today, had the whining girlfriend with me.

• Options

:D:D Put her to work digging....and tell her someone lost a diamond engagement ring in this area.....She will be out there until night falls.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Five more wheat cents today.

• Options

You are sure gathering the wheaties.... either an old area or all the zincolns have quickly corroded.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

The weather today was probably the nicest we'll have for many months to come. I wanted to spend most of the day metal detecting at some promising new sites. Instead, I got tied up with work and had to settle for two hours in the hunted out park. Miraculously, I found a 1952-D dime and a wheat cent.

• Options

Those 'hunted out' sites have a way of producing finds... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 2, 2017 6:46PM

Today was arguably the best day of metal detecting I've ever had. I visited a couple of old baseball diamonds that I've never been to before. At the first baseball diamond, I dug a relatively shallow 1941 Mercury dime. At the second baseball diamond I dug three deep Mercury dimes in a relatively short amount of time: 1945, 1940, and 1942. Soon thereafter I dug a Buffalo nickel that will need chemical processing to get a date. I searched quite a while before getting another good deep signal. I had to cut through some small tree roots to get down to the target. My probe gave me a strong high tone in the hole; so, there was no way that I was going to abandon this hole. Finally I saw a white coin in the hole, larger than a dime. It was encrusted with dirt, and the few small areas of the coin that were clean didn't immediately strike me as familiar. At first I thought it might be a Mexican coin. Then, I realized that it was the first Standing Liberty quarter I've ever found. It's a 1924 in nice condition, although it does have a small rim bruise. I've been wanting to find a Standing Liberty quarter for years. I also found five wheat cents today.

• Options

Wow.... great day for silver.... plus a buff and wheaties.... Those baseball diamonds require more visits... there is definitely more silver there. Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options

Wow, now that’s a great day detecting! Congrats on getting a SLQ! They are scarce to find. Great silver day!

• Options

Shazam!! Nice silver haul.... and an SLQ - that is a scarce find... even with a readable date...Cheers, RickO

• Options

A quick hunt close to home gave me a wheat cent. I also got a quarter signal at eight inches deep that turned out to be corroded clad, so sad.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I went back to the baseball diamonds today and dug three more Mercury dimes: 1941, 1935, and 1943. I also dug four wheat cents today, including a 1910.

• Options

Killing it with the silver over there. That’s a great silver to wheat ratio too

• Options

Dayum.... Those fields must be pretty old.... to find all those mercs and wheaties.... I believe you will be finding a lot more .... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Back to the baseball diamonds today: 1947-D dime, 1941 Mercury dime, and six wheat cents. I managed to put a small scratch on one of the wheat cents. It happened to be a semi-key date 1911-S.

• Options

Nice... those baseball diamonds are proving to be real productive sites.... you have been 'cleaning up' on silver....You should start a dime coin album for your finds... Cheers, RickO

• Options

The only silver at the baseball diamonds today was a necklace with a pendant and matching earring. I also dug five wheat cents.

• Options

Hmmmm.... necklace, one matching earring.... stirs the imagination.... Well, it is silver .... and the wheaties keep turning up.... Nice finds and a site worth working a lot more. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I had a good time at the baseball diamonds today: 1936 Buffalo nickel, 1899 Liberty nickel, 1942-S Mercury dime, 1903-O Barber dime, and five wheat cents. This is the first Liberty nickel I've found this year, and I've never found a New Orleans mint coin before. The Barber dime was a one way signal. The tone was so strong that I didn't think it was iron falsing, although there was a rusty nail or piece of fence wire in the hole.

• Options

OK... Awesome finds.... these baseball diamonds are producing all old coins... lots of silver... Wheaties.... are they no longer active? When were they popular and how come no other MD'rs have found these treasure sites...???? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 15, 2017 6:52PM

I didn't have much time to detect today and was forced to make a last minute change of location. I went to the place where I did well four weeks ago and managed to find three silver dimes: 1964-D, 1962-D, and 1952-D. I also dug three wheat cents today.

• Options

Well lately, you are a silver magnet...... Your silver totals for the year should be amazing.. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I went to a totally new place today. Almost immediately I dug a deep 1963 dime that was stuck to a 1962-D cent. Despite the quick initial success, I was only able to find two wheat cents before going home.

• Options

Again with the silver.... ;) Well with the silver and wheats, that new place seems to have old treasure as well.... Good luck there... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I detected eight old schools today, all sites that I've never been to before. I found three deep wheat cents at the last school, no silver at all today.

• Options

Funny how some places produce well and others you hear crickets.

• Options

Wow... eight sites? You had one long day.... amazing that you did not find more, especially on old school sites. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Today I visited the ninth school on my list of nine. I skipped it yesterday because I was short of time, and thought it was the least promising location. I promptly dug two deep silver quarters there: 1963-D and 1964-D. I also dug three wheat cents today.

• Options

Great... for the least promising site... it may turn out to be a top producer.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Definitely worthy of a return trip.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2017 5:20PM

I went back today and dug a 1954-D dime. That makes 19 silver coins for November, the most I've ever dug in a month.

• Options

You have certainly found sites with a lot of silver.... are there no other MD'rs in your area? Or are these just sites that have escaped attention up until now? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just three wheat cents today, didn't have much time to hunt.

• Options

@ricko said:
    You have certainly found sites with a lot of silver.... are there no other MD'rs in your area? Or are these just sites that have escaped attention up until now? Cheers, RickO

I've seen three guys metal detecting within the last week. I dug a couple of deep wheat cents practically from one of these guy's footprints yesterday.

• Options

Interesting... either their equipment or their technique (or both) are severely lacking..... Which, is good for you.... Keep following those guys... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I've been wanting to hunt a particular site for the last year and a half. I finally happened to be in that neighborhood today. I dug a 1960 dime, a 1943-S Mercury dime, and eight wheat cents dating back to 1918.

• Options

Wow... you just keep pulling that silver... I think you will set a personal record this year.... Great finds... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I visited a few new sites today and dug four silver dimes: 1945-S, 1942, 1943, and 1959-D. I also dug nine wheat cents today.

This was my best silver month ever, 25 U.S. silver coins. They were all 90% silver, not a lowly war nickel among them.