Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are very nice dimes... that Merc looks as if it were dropped when new...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I went to a new place today. I dug a 1945 Mercury dime, a 1947 dime, and seven wheat cents. Five of the wheat cents came from a single hole.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

That 1919 merc is crisp! Daaaaamn!

Barber dime is superb too. I dug a barber dime at the beach a few weeks ago and it's toast.

• Options

@Bayard1908.... That new place shows promise.... all older coins and two silver... I would say you need several visits there.... Best of luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds!

keep going back.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have lost that Mercury in 1919

• Options

Today I dug a wheat cent and an old trade token. The token says, "Good for a 5 cent package of candy." I'm not old enough to remember 5 cent candy.

• Options

Wonder how much candy you could get for five cents?
    Happy fourth!

• Options

You could get a regular candy bar (Hershey's, Snickers, Milky Way etc) or five penny chocolates. I bought many nickel candy bars...actually, all the regular bars were a nickel.... there were larger versions for a dime. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:
    Today I dug a wheat cent and an old trade token. The token says, "Good for a 5 cent package of candy." I'm not old enough to remember 5 cent candy.

Then you are too young

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I remember 5 cent candy bars. I would take a Hershey's bar in my lunch at school, break it in half and give the "Hers" to my girl friend. Shes my wife now :)

• Options

PPC.... That is a GREAT story.... make sure it is passed down to kids, grandkids etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It rained yesterday, and the weather was relatively cool today. I went to the hunted out park for a few hours and dug up a 1945-S war nickel in outstanding condition.

• Options

Very nice.... The S mint war nickels always seemed to be more scarce... even when I lived on the west coast. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I tried three new places today, but only found a wheat cent.

• Options

Wow...slim pickings.... lots of rain here... I mean LOTS.... had my pool overflowing....and it has rained every day for a week.... no mountain forays in this weather. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for sharing the story PPC! How long have you two been married, if you don't mind me asking?

• Options

would love to see a pic of the 45-S War nickel

• Options

I visited two ghetto schools today, including one that my girlfriend warned me to stay away from. I found a 1938 quarter and three wheat cents at the first school. I found an additional three deep wheat cents, plus somebody else's old plugs, at the second school.

• Options

Glad you did well and had no issues at the 'stay away' site... those can get really dicey.... Did that once when I lived out west... good thing I was carrying..... did not find much before the 'incident'...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Ricko, tell us more about this incident!

• Options

There is (was) an open area in South Seattle... used for sand lot games etc.. South Seattle can be a risky area in some places (I understand it is even worse now). I went there early in my MD hobby days... was late afternoon in mid August. I had asked about this lot/area at work... was told it might not be a good place to go for me....
    I, however, being the outgoing, amiable person I am, decided to go anyway. Well..about twenty minutes after I began MD'ing, a group of locals began forming. As they began moving toward me, I angled towards my vehicle while keeping a wary eye on them - and turned off my machine. I kept moving as if I were detecting, but was on total alert. Then the big fellow (there were five) asked me what I was doing. I took off my headphones and told him I was metal detecting for coins. He asked if I found any, because if I did, they were his. I replied I had not found any. He said he did not believe me and made a move as if to grab me. I pulled out my .45 in one clean move and had it leveled at his head. His complexion changed noticeably and he nearly fell bumping into his buddies as he backed up. Without saying another word, I moved the ten yards or so to my vehicle without taking the gun off of him. Put my gear in the car, jumped in, locked the door and drove away. Never did go back there. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    There is (was) an open area in South Seattle... used for sand lot games etc.. South Seattle can be a risky area in some places (I understand it is even worse now). I went there early in my MD hobby days... was late afternoon in mid August. I had asked about this lot/area at work... was told it might not be a good place to go for me....
    I, however, being the outgoing, amiable person I am, decided to go anyway. Well..about twenty minutes after I began MD'ing, a group of locals began forming. As they began moving toward me, I angled towards my vehicle while keeping a wary eye on them - and turned off my machine. I kept moving as if I were detecting, but was on total alert. Then the big fellow (there were five) asked me what I was doing. I took off my headphones and told him I was metal detecting for coins. He asked if I found any, because if I did, they were his. I replied I had not found any. He said he did not believe me and made a move as if to grab me. I pulled out my .45 in one clean move and had it leveled at his head. His complexion changed noticeably and he nearly fell bumping into his buddies as he backed up. Without saying another word, I moved the ten yards or so to my vehicle without taking the gun off of him. Put my gear in the car, jumped in, locked the door and drove away. Never did go back there. Cheers, RickO

wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I have lived in Europe, the West Indies and nine states... big cities and small.... You never know when danger will strike... San Bernadino, Florida night club, Chicago etc., etc., etc.. If you are not prepared, you likely will not live to regret it. A firearm is much like a parachute... If you need one and do not have it, you will likely never need one. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Wow, so glad nothing bad came of it. Not to start a gun debate but if it was legal everywhere to carry, there would most likely be less crime. And the bad guys will carry whether illegal or not - they're not worried about what the law says.

• Options

@pcgs69 ....You are correct... I hope the National Reciprocity bill succeeds... then a CCW permit from one state will be valid in all states. I am licensed to carry in 38 states now.. but would be nice to have just one license valid in all states. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I found my first ever Seated coin today. It's an 1891-S dime in VF. I visited an old site today that I have been wanting to hunt for quite a while. An acquaintance claimed that he had hunted it out. I know that this guy can't find nickels; so, I went hoping maybe I could find a few. I found a deep 1964 nickel right away, and shortly thereafter I dug a deep 1927 wheat cent. This convinced me that any claims of the the property being hunted out were erroneous. After a while I got a broken up high tone and pulled a steel screw out of the hole. I rechecked the hole and the high tone was now more clear. I couldn't find anything in the hole with my pinpointer, and then noticed a silver rim laying in the dirt beside the hole. The rim was thick; so, I was expecting it to be a 1940s or later dime. I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was my first ever Seated coin. Because of all the junk in the ground, I switched to a small coil and carefully combed the small area where I found the Seated dime. In the immediate vicinity were a Buffalo nickel, a wheat cent, and a gilded Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad button. I dug a total of three wheat cents today.

• Options

Congrats on your first seated! In VF too it has some meat left. My seated is probably AG. Post pics soon!

• Options

Very well done..... as old detectorists say...A site is NEVER hunted out..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options
  • Options

That is a great looking Seated Dime..... Congratulations again... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Great coin!!

• Options

Just a couple of wheat cents on a brief hunt today.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2017 11:04AM

Today I revisited a site where I found a few wheat cents when I was a beginner back in April of 2014. I always suspected that this site had more to offer. Shortly after arriving today, I began digging deep wheat cents and early memorial cents. I knew it was just a matter of time before I found some silver in this area. I ended up with a 1938 quarter, a 1945-D Mercury dime, and nine wheat cents. Today's 1938 quarter is in almost the exact same condition as the one I dug less than two weeks ago, the only two silver quarters I've found all year.

• Options

Silver coins... great.... and Mercury dimes are one of my favorites. That site bears a lot more searching... Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice finds. I live where it was 118 degrees today. No detecting until late September for me. :(

• Options

How many silver quarters for you this year? I have two. Most of the silver are dimes

• Options

@WorldSavingBlog.... Holey Moley... 118 degrees? Arizona or Nevada? Yep... good day to stay inside... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Today I dug a 1951 quarter, a 1957-D dime, and three wheat cents. I also dug a silver pocket knife from close to a foot deep. The scales are both marked sterling and look pretty good, although the steel parts are a rusty mess.

• Options

That is a great silver day - along with wheat cents... that site seems to be fairly un-searched and with more potential. Nice find on the knife.... well, at least the scales are good. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Few and far between to find a sterling knife. Post a pic of it when you get a chance. Would love to take a peek.

• Options

Just a 1964-D dime today.

• Options

For some reason, it seems that most silver '64 Rosies are D mint... all that I have found have been D mint, and most I see posted here are also. I wonder why....Cheers, RickO

• Options

It does seem like a lot are that. Let me check my 1964 issues and get back to you giys

• Options

The weather was extremely cool today, felt like October. I had to wear a jacket while detecting. I didn't have any new places to go and went to a formerly good place that hasn't been producing very well lately. Something about the conditions today made it easy to hear deep signals. I dug a 1944 Mercury dime, a 1939 Mercury dime, and nine wheat cents.

• Options

Wow... that is a great day on a 'hunted out' site...Cheers, RickO

• Options

been racking up the multiple-silver hunts lately. Keep it up!

• Options

I visited a new site today. I dug a 1947-D dime, five wheat cents, a 10 cent trade token, and a sterling silver Army Captain's collar insignia (railroad tracks).