Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow... you just keep pulling that silver... I think you will set a personal record this year.... Great finds... Cheers, RickO

My best year was 92 U.S. silver coins in 2015. I'm currently at 88 for this year; but, freezing weather is going to hit early next week. Unfortunately, I got off to a really slow start this year, otherwise I'd probably have well over 100 by now. I only had seven silver coins as of June 1st.

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

So close! Have to get out again if you can to try beating it

I returned to the same place and dug a 1923 Mercury dime and another Standing Liberty quarter. There is just enough of the last digit remaining on the quarter for me to conclude that it is also a 1923. I dug twelve wheat cents today.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...now you are up to 90 silvers.... got to get out a couple more times to beat your previous record....Cheers, RickO

Back again for a 1945 Mercury dime, 1936 Buffalo nickel, and seven wheat cents. Freezing weather hits on Tuesday; so, I'll probably hunt again tomorrow.

Two silvers to go to beat your record... You can do it.... Hit it hard. Cheers, RickO

I visited four new sites this morning. None of them were any good; so, I went back to the same place that has been producing. I dug a 1945-S war nickel, a 1930 Buffalo nickel, and a very worn 1926 Mercury dime which I found on an iffy signal minutes before the sun went down. Unless my math is incorrect, this is the 100th Mercury dime I've ever dug. It's also my 93rd silver coin of the year. I dug seventeen deep wheat cents today. You'd think with that many wheat cents I'd get more than two silvers. Freezing weather hits tomorrow. My season may be over.

Great... you set a new mark... and there could be more silver yet this year.... Nice total on wheaties though... You have had a really good year. Cheers, RickO

Temperatures will be in the 40s much of this week. I'm going to do some more detecting.

More opportunities to increase that silver total.... Best of luck... Cheers, RickO

I had a good few hours of detecting today. I found a beautiful 1943 Walking half, a 1946 quarter, and a stained 1959-D dime. I also found twelve wheat cents today. The stained dime is the 250th U.S. silver coin I've ever found.

Great finds... a new record for the year (in silver) and a great silver total... The year is not yet over... Cheers, RickO

Today I found a very worn 1919 Mercury dime, a 1943 quarter, a 1937 Buffalo nickel, and five wheat cents. I think the site I've been hunting is nearly exhausted for the time being, and the weather is about to turn cold again.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have had two really good silver hunts for this late in December Your Walker matches my lifetime totals. I Found it at a one room school site. Almost $8 in clad for me the last two days but did find a Sterling Silver ring

@Bayard.... Can you please post a picture of the 1919 Merc? Still adding to your silver count... and the weather is still cooperating.
    @pocketpiececommems ...Wow....$8 in clad in two days? Really nice.... Cheers, RickO

You guys are killing it!

Think I’m done for the year. Small chance of one more hunt

The weather was just barely warm enough to detect today. I went to a new site that proved to be very frustrating. It had a large quantity of deep junk that gave high tone signals. I still managed to dig a 1946 dime and two wheat cents.

That makes 99 U.S. silver coins for the year. It will be just barely warm enough to detect tomorrow, and then my season will almost certainly be over due to a deep freeze. I don't have any promising sites remaining to hunt; but, I'm going to try to hit 100 somehow. I'll post some photos once my season is over.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you!

Good luck on the silver.... I see a silver Rosie in the future.... ;) Cheers, RickO

I went to three new sites today. None of them were any good. About three hours before sundown, I retreated in desperation to the place that I have been cleaning out lately.

I searched for well over an hour at this site without getting a single deep signal. I finally got a promising signal and dug eight inches deep. I was hoping to see a flash of silver; but, I only saw a green wheat cent in the bottom of the hole, what a disappointment. It turned out that there was another target in the hole, a 1946-D dime. Less than six feet away, I dug a very worn 1918 Mercury dime. In the same general area I also dug a 1942 quarter and a 1936 Buffalo nickel. I only dug three wheat cents today.

The most interesting thing I dug today was a small toy horse made of lead.

I'm pretty sure my season is over at 102 U.S. silver coins. I'll post some photos and a list of the year's finds someday soon.

Congratulations on a record silver year.... Cheers, RickO

Congrats! Finished strong with some great keepers!

Ricko wanted to see a worn Mercury dime, and I like this toy horse.

I thought my last Mercury dime of the year was a 1918; however, it looks like there's the remnant of an S mintmark that hasn't quite worn away.

These are my favorite recent finds: 1943 Walking Liberty half found on 12/18, 1923 Standing Liberty quarter found on 12/2, and 1903-O Barber dime found on 11/14.

edited December 29, 2017 7:21PM

My season is definitely over. My area will have sub zero temperatures for the foreseeable future.

I didn't find any gold this year; however, this was my best year of metal detecting ever. I found 102 U.S. silver coins, including the two types of coins that I most desired to find: my first Seated coin and my first Standing Liberty quarter.

The finds break down as follows:

Silver:
    1 Seated dime (my first ever Seated coin)
    5 Barber dimes (including my first D and O mint examples)
    39 Mercury dimes
    31 Silver Roosevelt dimes
    2 Standing Liberty quarters (including my first ever)
    16 Silver Washington quarters
    1 Walking Liberty half
    7 War nickels
    A small quantity of silver rings and other jewelry

Obsolete non-silver coins:
    1 Indian cent
    1 Liberty nickel
    10 Buffalo nickels
    1 Chinese coin from the 1700s
    1 George VI Canadian cent
    Approximately 342 Wheat cents

I got off to a really slow start this year. I only had seven silver coins as of June 1st; however, I started making consistent finds thereafter. November was my best month ever with 25, and I even managed 14 in December.

There are no other type coins that I'm aspiring to find, although I've yet to find a Barber quarter, Barber half, silver dollar, and numerous other coins.

@Bayard1908....Those are fantastic silver totals, and a WLH is a super find. I see your 1919 Merc, but cannot make out the feature I was looking for. Perhaps you can with it in hand and magnification. Examine the motto on the obverse and look for doubling... if you have it, you have a real treasure. Let us know.. Cheers, RickO

We had a one day freak warm up. I dug 14 wheat cents today, no silver though.

Fourteen wheaties? You must have access to a very old, virtually unsearched site... that once saw a lot of activity.... Nice hunt..... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Fourteen wheaties? You must have access to a very old, virtually unsearched site... that once saw a lot of activity.

Almost all of them were 8 inches deep or deeper, and I could barely get a repeatable signal from them. Only the difficult targets are left at this site.

congrats on being able to get out! I tried yesterday at Silver beach and the ocean was frozen, and the beach snow covered.

WTG. I4 wheats in a day. Were they all singles or were some multiples? Are they readable dates? I don't get 14 wheats in a year.

@pocketpiececommems said:
    WTG. I4 wheats in a day. Were they all singles or were some multiples? Are they readable dates? I don't get 14 wheats in a year.

You're envious of my 14 deep wheat cents? I was disappointed that I didn't get any silver with all that digging, lol.

These were all singles, no coin spills. At this particular site, the wheat cents have thick green corrosion on them. The corrosion is soft and can be scraped off; so, I can usually read the date. The oldest wheat cent was 1919, although most were from the 1940s.

The snow has been melting for the last few days. I tried a new site today, an old picnic area. Shortly after arriving at the site, I dug a clad dime at over six inches deep. I figured this meant the site had been bulldozed; so, I searched the perimeter of the site, hoping to find a patch of original untouched ground.

After not too long, I got a deep nickel signal. I pulled a dateless Buffalo nickel out of the hole. There was also an 1897 Liberty nickel in there along with it. I believe this is the first old nickel spill I've ever found. A short distance from the nickel spill, I dug an 1897 Barber dime. There was a ring in the hole with the Barber dime. I originally thought it was gold; but, it gave a high tone and appears to be plated. In the same general area I also dug a 1952 dime and a silver ring, eleven wheat cents today too, plus a 1949 George VI Canadian cent.

Wow, picked up right where you left off.

Holey Moley.... what a great hunt... and site... imagine what may have been bulldozed.... and two rings as well. Do you know the history of that site? Former sports field, playground, circus site? Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was jealous at "the snow is melting"!!! :)

Snow totally gone here... Rain and high 40's all day yesterday....ground very wet. Now freezing weather forecast. Cheers, RickO

Our snow has left but there is still frost

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our snow is now gone too. But the ground is frozen solid. Hopefully that means the Spring thaw will turn a few coins in the ground.

Snow is almost totally gone here.... but this is just January... still about five or six weeks of strong potential for more snow and cold. Cheers, RickO

We had decent weather again today. I dug a 1943-P war nickel, four wheat cents, and a sterling tie tack or lapel pin.

Nice...still picking up the vintage coins.... What a great site. Cheers, RickO

I've never dug up a complete round of ammunition before, just fired bullets and empty cartridge cases. Today I went to the hunted out park and dug a nickel plated .32 cartridge.

I rubbed the dirt off the base of the cartridge, wanting to see the headstamp. I thought it would probably say Smith & Wesson, but might say Colt. Instead it was only marked with a "U" and there was no primer. It's a .32 Long Rimfire.

If you're a gun enthusiast, you'll probably appreciate how old this cartridge might be. It could be 100 years old. I'd say it's definitely earlier than 1940. There's a pinhole in the cartridge case. This cartridge might have been made as a dummy cartridge, or, subsequently deactivated to turn it into a dummy cartridge.

@Bayard1908 .... That is interesting, it is indeed old...Cheers, RickO

www.ammo-one.com

The .32 "Long Rifle" rim-fire, not the .32 "Long" rim-fire, was introduced around 1900 and had a slightly lighter bullet
    which was lubricated inside (a new idea at the time) (the .32 long rim-fire bullet was lubricated outside at the time).
    The .32 "Long Rifle" rim-fire case is app. 1/10" longer or app. 0.932" long vs the 32 "Long" rim-fire case at app. 0.832"
    long; however, it was set deeper in the case so the overall length is about the same as the .32 long rim-fire.
    Both Remington and Winchester produced the .32 long rifle rim-fire , but it is believed Remington only produced it in
    black-powder.
    The cartridge was discontinued in the early 1920s, making it obsolete for almost 100 years.

Three deep wheat cents from the hunted out park today, quite a haul for that site.

Great that you got out.... ground here is frozen solid with some snow forecast... Cheers, RickO

• Great post so far.

I went to the hunted out park yesterday and dug an ornate sterling ring with a huge stone. Today I'm hoping to try out my latest metal detector purchase, a Minelab Equinox 600.

I have heard the Minelab products are very good. Please let us know how it works for you. Cheers, RickO