Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds.... A good site to explore further.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Some good finds there. Would like to see a pic of the pin.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Today I went to a baseball diamond that has been around since at least the early 1960s. I found a 1953 dime, a 1943 quarter, and two wheat cents. The ground was very hard, and I think the property has been bulldozed or has had fill dirt added. I'll probably go back someday after a series of rain storms soften up the ground. I skipped a bunch of targets today.

• Options

Very promising, silver coins and wheats.... could be a lot more there. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

Spring hunts after the snow melts can be a great time for finds

• Options

I went back to the baseball diamond, since we just had some rain. I found a 1964-D dime and three wheat cents.

• Options

Silver and wheaties..... nice combination.... That field has obviously been there for a long time. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I went to a new site today and did a lot of digging. I got a 1941-D Mercury dime, a 1928 Mercury dime, 15 wheat cents, and a circa 1948 bus token. None of these coins gave off obvious text book signals. They were either difficult to hear or masked by iron. I presume somebody else dug all the easy signals at this site years ago.

• Options

Nice finds... silver Mercs are great... with Mercs and Wheaties, you are in a good area... Well worth more visits...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Last night I asked the girlfriend if she thought I'd find any silver coins when I went hunting today. She predicted that I'd find three. She turned out to be right, three Mercury dimes: 1943-D, 1945, and 1925. The 1945 dime was in the same hole with 1944-S and 1945-D wheat cents. I presume they were dropped around 1945. I found a total of eight wheat cents today, including a 1914.

• Options

That is a good hunt... three silvers.... definitely an older, well used area. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice haul! Been killing the silvers lately

• Options

Today I went back to the place where I did well on Monday. I dug a nice 1941-S quarter, ten wheat cents, and a sterling ring. For a moment I thought had dug some cut Spanish silver; but, it was part of an old Cracker Jack token.

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    Nice haul! Been killing the silvers lately

This has been the best summer of metal detecting I've ever had in both quantity and quality of finds. The weather has been cool enough to hunt almost every week, an unusual occurrence.

I've got 40 U.S. silver coins so far this year, 194 total. My goal at the start of this year was to find number 200.

• Options

Seems very promising that you will reach that mark shortly. You should have a contest (don't need any prize), on who can guess what #200 will be. It adds pressure for it to come though, haha.

• Options

Great finds... an S quarter is a prize.... and you are doing fantastic on silver...no doubt you will surpass your goal... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 2, 2017 10:41AM

My grandfather was born 108 years ago today, but, has been dead for years. For the last few days, I've had the strange feeling that I would find a 1909 Barber dime if I went metal detecting today. My intuition was close, I dug a nice 1911 Barber dime today. I also got a 1948-D dime, a 1943-S war nickel, and seven wheat cents.

• Options

Congrats on the old silver. Seems like barbers and seated are pretty scarce finds these days.

I think you have now either tied or passed me on the silver coin count this year! Been a little while since I checked but think I'm at 45.

• Options

Wow... that is a very productive site you have there....no moderns or zincolns.. I predict more good finds for you at that site...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 2, 2017 10:41AM

No silver today, instead I found a 1936 Buffalo nickel, five wheat cents, and a Chinese cash coin which is supposedly from the 1700s.

• Options

Wow... that Chinese coin sounds interesting... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 5, 2017 7:13PM

I went out today to one of my favorite sites.
    198 = 1936 Mercury dime
    199 = 1944 Mercury dime
    200 = 1934-D quarter
    I also found six wheat cents today.

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Congrast on #200!

I looked back at my silver finds over the years. I've dug 10 1964 dimes and only 1 was a D.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to find a 34-D quarter. :smile:

• Options

@Bayard1908 ...Congratulations on number 200 silver for the year.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I dug a very worn 1925 Mercury dime today.

• Options

Congrats on hitting number 200!

• Options

Nice old silver... No MM?.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just a pair of wheat cents today.

• Options

Wheats are ok.... at least they are (usually) not corroded, like zincolns... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just a 1924 wheat cent yesterday, hoping to make some finds later today.

• Options

You are doing well on the wheaties.... and if there are wheaties, there should be some silver... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I had to use an oversize coil to make most of today's finds: 1947-D dime, 1944-S war nickel, and three wheat cents,

• Options

Nice finds... is that the same site? If so, there must be more there... any history of that locale? Seems there must have been something or some site activity there 50/60 years ago... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 18, 2017 3:17PM

I used an even bigger oversize coil for today's finds. I dug my 50th U.S. silver coin of the year, a 1959 dime. I also dug five wheat cents, a 1940 Canadian cent, and a half dollar sized good luck token dated 1933. This is the first George VI Canadian coin I've dug, although I dug a George V large cent last year.

• Options

Congrats on number 50 for the year!

• Options

Congratulations on number Fifty.... still some good detecting days to go.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

We just got over a record setting heat wave, temperatures in the 90s for the last week. I'm going to try to make some finds today.

• Options

Take a hat and water.... just in case the heat is not quite over... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 27, 2017 4:17PM

Today I dug a 1943-P war nickel and five wheat cents. Three of the wheat cents were together in the same hole: 1926 and a pair of 1941.

• Options

This is the same site that has been giving you the older coins? Seems to be a target rich area... must have been something there in years gone by....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 29, 2017 5:49PM

I visited three new sites today, all places with old baseball diamonds. At the first site, I found several wheat cents, but, no silver. I was sure the property had been hunted as I wasn't finding much modern change, and later saw several relatively recent plugs. All the wheat cents I found were shallow because the ground was very hard. Whoever detected this site first probably had some easy finds that hadn't sunk deep. As I was about to leave, a guy pulled up and asked me if I had found anything good. I said, "No, somebody else has already detected here." He said, "That was me." He said he had been hunting that town for 30+ years and claimed to have cleaned out all the local public places. Much of what he said sounded like wild exaggerations and fish stories. I told him that after leaving this place, I'd be heading over to nearby Park X. He assured me that he had already cleaned out Park X. Before I could leave, I ran into yet another guy with a metal detector. This second guy had a cheap Bounty Hunter and a Garrett carrot; but, he was a nice guy. His pinpointer was probably more valuable than his detector. He claimed that the only silver coin he ever found with his Bounty Hunter was a two inch deep Seated quarter, and I completely believe him.

I headed over to the baseball diamond at "hunted out" Park X and immediately got a good deep signal. It was a clad dime. I got several more good deep signals and every one of them was either a clad dime or a memorial cent. Tired of digging clad, I started walking my way off the field and got another deep penny or dime signal about 30 feet from the gate I intended to exit. Despite being tired of digging deep clad, I decided to dig this signal anyway for some reason. I cut my plug and loosened up the dirt in the hole. I saw a metal disk in the hole that didn't look familiar. It wasn't a memorial cent or a clad dime. At first I thought it was a piece of play money. In actuality, it was a great condition 1897 Barber dime, toned gun metal blue. I have no idea why this coin was at the exact same depth as a bunch of clad with no wheat cents or other old coins anywhere nearby. I wish the joker I met earlier could have seen this dig.

The third site was no good, obviously had been bulldozed and extensively reworked. I dug a total of five wheat cents today.

• Options

We always feel better when that “in your face” moment happens. It’s odd how things are at different depths.

• Options

That dime is a great find..... as we old MD'rs say... a site is never hunted out.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I tried several new sites today. I only got a 1946-D dime and four wheat cents.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you just love it when someone tells you they've hunted out an area and there they are still hunting :neutral:

• Options

Yep.... the old dodge .... They probably just pocketed a Barber half.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Four wheat cents today. Thought I had a deep silver quarter signal, turned out to be an aluminum bottle cap.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2017 2:16PM

It rained very hard yesterday; so, I was eager to get out and hunt today. I visited one of my favorite sites, a baseball diamond I haven't visited for two weeks. I immediately noticed that someone pulled out a bunch of my old plugs and stacked them in a huge pile. I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing. I did my best to replace the plugs; but, many plugs were missing and the whole situation was a huge mess. There are a bunch of moon craters in the outfield. I'm not sure what to do, might go back with a sack of dirt and at least level the holes. Anyway, I found five wheat cents at this site before I decided to flee before getting accused of deliberately leaving moon craters.

Instead of going home, I visited a nearby site where I found some Mercury dimes and wheat cents during the summer. The ground was hard and dry back then. I thought the recent rain might allow me to make some additional finds that weren't possible to hear when the ground was dry. I quickly found three additional wheat cents, and then I dug a nice 1910-D Barber dime. This is the first branch mint Barber dime I've ever dug. I also dug an interesting military insignia today which I believe is infantry. Eight wheat cents total today.

• Options

Some nice finds... Mercs and wheats are good.....That is really weird about the pulled plugs.... something is going on. You may want to cruise by there occasionally and see what might be happening..... someone is up to something. Cheers, RickO