Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

Just a wheat cent and some modern change at the hunted out park today using the new machine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you settling in with the new equipment?? They always take a while until we 'meld' with them....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Two more wheat cents with the new machine today.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Anxious to hear how it works. Curious to see a comparison of the Equinox and the CTX

• Options

Wheaties are good.... now find a gold ring.... ;) I know, what we all look for...well... they are out there... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I visited three sites today where I've done well in the past. I wanted to try out the new machine at these hard hunted locations to see what it could do.

My first stop was the school site. I rarely visit this site anymore; however, the new machine found a 1944-P war nickel and a wheat cent. The wheat cent was surrounded by iron, probably too masked for my Etrac to have found it. This war nickel is the 60th U.S. silver coin from the school site.

The new machine didn't make any good finds at the next two sites; but, the Etrac did. The second site was the place where somebody pulled out a bunch of my plugs last fall. I dug a nice 1944 Mercury dime and another wheat cent. The third site really surprised me with a relatively shallow Standing Liberty quarter. It's dateless and beat up, can't believe I've walked over it so many times in the past.

• Options

Nice finds.... those 'hunted out' sites tend to produce over and over again....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Another deep wheat cent with the new machine today.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur with RickO about hunted out sites. I always seem to come up with something at places I've been over and over again espy in the Spring

• Options

Looks like the new machine is producing.... Are you feeling more comfortable with it yet? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Six silver coins so far this year, and they have surprising variety, just about everything I can typically aspire to find except a Washington quarter.

• Options

Well done... what are the mint marks on the war nickels?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

It’s nice finding a variety of designs and denominations. Gets old finding the same thing over and over again

• Options

Two more wheat cents with the new machine today, including a nice 1915-D.

• Options

Wow... a WW1 coin.... 103 years old....Nice find. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I had a good day today: 1941-D Mercury dime, 1949-D dime, eight wheat cents, a sterling crucifix, and an old bus token. I found two of the wheat cents with the new machine.

• Options

How are you liking the equinox?

Congrats on all that silver. Is the crucifix older?

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    How are you liking the equinox?

Congrats on all that silver. Is the crucifix older?

The Equinox has a straight shaft with poor ergonomics, but, is light enough that it's not a huge issue. It has found me some coins that the Etrac probably couldn't have found, nothing amazing though. I'm hoping to put a large coil on it as soon as they become available.

Based on depth, I suspect the crucifix is from the 1940s. It looks old fashioned, but, for all I know they all might look old fashioned.

• Options

Very nice finds... the new machine seems to be working out quite well... Cheers, RickO

• Options

One wheat cent with the new machine today.

• Options

Today I dug a 1962-D dime, a 1952-D dime, and two wheat cents. The 1952-D dime and one of the wheat cents were found with the new machine.

• Options

Double silver is double fun. :)

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Double silver is double fun. :)

And better than double mint gum!

• Options

Silver is always good.... seems you are switching off between the new machine and your previous unit... Any particular reason for that? Cheers, RickO

• Options

1919 wheat cent with the new machine today.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Silver is always good.... seems you are switching off between the new machine and your previous unit... Any particular reason for that? Cheers, RickO

The new machine is a complement to my Etrac, not a replacement for it.

• Options

Today the new machine got me a 1940-S Mercury dime, two wheat cents, and an old bus token.

• Options

still getting silver. Is this the same site at last year, or a new one?

• Options

Nice... still getting silver... and wheaties are good as well.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1944 Mercury dime with my usual machine. 1953-D dime and dateless Buffalo nickel with the new machine. No wheat cents today.

• Options

That's a good way to find 25 cents B)

• Options

Nice finds.... You post some finds with your old machine and then with the new machine... are you going over the same ground? Or is it different areas? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nice finds.... You post some finds with your old machine and then with the new machine... are you going over the same ground? Or is it different areas? Cheers, RickO

I'm combing the same locations with both machines. They have complementary capabilities, and I'm trying to clean these sites out.

I'm at the point now though where I could conceivably give up my old machine, and not feel significantly handicapped.

• Options

See any difference in iron infested areas? Been curious how the equinox fares in high iron areas

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    See any difference in iron infested areas? Been curious how the equinox fares in high iron areas

The separation with the 11" coil is better than the Etrac with the 6" coil.

• Options

Seven wheat cents, a Japanese coin, and an Oklahoma sales tax token today.

• Options

1937 Mercury dime with the new machine today.

• Options

1942 quarter, two wheat cents, and a 1952 Canadian cent today. The Canadian cent came from a place where I used to go as a child in the early 1970s.

• Options

Silver and wheaties.... that is a good day.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1941 quarter, six wheat cents, two old tokens, and a great seal military button today. One token is a Thomas Jefferson presidential token, probably from the 1940s based on the site and depth. The other is a good luck token with a swastika on it advertising Madame Hendren dolls.

• Options

Nice ... a silver quarter and wheaties.... that Jefferson token might have value... check with the token guys. Is it brass? Cheers, RickO

• Options

1945-S war nickel with the new machine today. I also found a wheat cent today.

• Options

Nice old coins... An S war nickel is cool... I find the P's and D's... but S is scarce. Cheers, RickO

• Options

1936 Buffalo nickel and a wheat cent with the new machine today.

• Options

Nice finds... you certainly are in an older area with the types of coins you are finding. No zincolns or clad coinage....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Two wheat cents with the new machine today.

• Options

Slow day, but still older coins...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Another two wheat cents with the new machine today.

• Options

Now, if one were a 1955 DDO, that would be spectacular ;) Well... It could happen you know... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Some of the people in our group are saying the Nox is a great machine and one of even going to sell his CTX after he began using the Nox. I’d love to see both machines on a deep target and see how they pan out.