Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... a Barber half... that is awesome and a rare MD find. Congratulations, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2018 5:46AM

I've found nine Barber dimes in the past. This half dollar is my first Barber coin bigger than a dime. I thought the probability of finding a Barber half was so unlikely that I never really wasted any time hoping for one.

• Options

Outstanding find.... Thanks for the picture....Honest wear and still a very nice silver coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dirt Fishing :) You never know what you are going to find.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

half dollars don't come up that often, especially Barbers. There was one year I found 3, and I haven't found any since (and none before either).

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    half dollars don't come up that often, especially Barbers. There was one year I found 3, and I haven't found any since (and none before either).

In my five years of detecting, I've only found four silver half dollars: this Barber, two Walkers (both coincidentally dated 1943 and both in AU condition), and a 1967 40% Kennedy. I believe I've found about the same number of clad half dollars.

• Options

Three wheat cents with the new machine. They all were in gravel.

• Options

1961-D dime and six wheat cents today.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I switched from olive oil to mineral oil a long time ago. No more rancid smell. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Silver and wheaties... you are consistent.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 7:25AM

Fourteen wheat cents and a 1919 Buffalo nickel today. The Buffalo nickel was stuck to a 1941 wheat cent, and there was also a 1948-S wheat cent in the hole.

• Options

Nice Barber half. I just dug a second axe head, single bit, not far from a double bit the other day. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Bayard1908....sounds like a 'period' pocket spill.... nice finds. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Namvet69.... Now that is interesting Roy... two axe heads in close proximity....Makes you wonder what went on there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I determined where a bank barn had been. The only thing left was the stone edged ramp leading to the main access doors. Soil on both sides is nice loamy brown soil. Axe heads were down 6" with typical farmer relics like square head spikes, wrought iron pieces, big honking washers , hand cut threaded bolts, chunks of cast iron. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

• Options

Sounds like good territory... could easily find a large cent or two....Best of luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Buffalo nickel and a wheat cent yesterday, 1941-D Mercury dime and another wheat cent today. I also got a sterling ring and sterling religious medallion today.

• Options

That’s a good area you’re in! It seems like a lot of the sterling medals and crosses were worn in the 1940s and 1950s

• Options

Wow...that is a nice haul...Silver is good in any form... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1952 dime and seven wheat cents today.

• Options

Silver and wheaties..... Nice.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

1951 dime and three wheat cents today.

• Options

Making a nice run with the silver lately. How’s your total doing for the year?

• Options

@pcgs69 said:

It' really poor, only 31 silver coins so far. Last year I got 102, 46 in 2016, and 92 in 2015. My new job leaves me little time for detecting.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

@pcgs69 said:

It' really poor, only 31 silver coins so far. Last year I got 102, 46 in 2016, and 92 in 2015. My new job leaves me little time for detecting.

I hear you. I haven’t gotten out all that much this year. If it wasn’t for silver beach I’d barely have any silver coins this year. You should set a goal of trying to beat 2016’s totals.

• Options

Today I hunted a site that I thought had the potential for 1940s to 1960s coins. After digging up a couple of 1940s wheat cents, I finally got a deep silver quarter signal. I dug a deep plug and after a little more digging, I could finally see a coin in the hole. It wasn't silver. I figured it was just a clad quarter and was disappointed. I pulled it out of the hole and realized that it was a braided hair large cent. It's in nice condition; but, the date is faint. When I first pulled it out of the ground, I thought I saw a faint 185, but, can't see much of anything now. I'm hoping some olive oil will improve it. I dug a total of five wheat cents today.

• Options

Nice find... good luck with the date, and let us know what it is... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Exciting. Do you have a usb microscope? Rotation of a coin under magnification with indirect lighting will catch the edges of subtle details that may reveal something important. Plugable usb microscope is like $20 on Amazon. Make sure your OS is compatible.
    Or a good loupe, lighting and rotate.
    Peace Roy

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only found one Barber Half $.

I forget the date.

And it was above 15 years ago.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

• Options

nice LC! Even better that it was a surprise.

• Options

nice LC! Even better that it was a surprise.

• Options

Based on the photo, I'm thinking it may be 1850.

• Options

I still cannot make out the date....How about in hand? Any better when moving it with direct light on it?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I still cannot make out the date....How about in hand? Any better when moving it with direct light on it?? Cheers, RickO

That photo is better than what I can see in hand. The digit on the far right looks like a zero to me. The digit next to the "zero" doesn't look like a four. Since these coins were made from 1839 to 1857, I suspect it is 1850.

• Options

1953-D dime and nine wheat cents today.

• Options

Silver and all wheaties.... that is an older area you are searching....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Six wheat cents and a silver ring today, first time I've been able to hunt in three weeks.

• Options

Does the ring have any age to it?

• Options

Quite consistent... silver and wheaties....Cheers, RickO

• Options

All this cold and rain is somewhat disconcerting. But it's gonna be in the 50's for a few days so the hunt continues. Peace Roy

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish. 8 inches of snow today. Good luck

• Options

The season is slowly moving to a close... got six inches of snow a week ago...and now all melted and in the forties (heading for fifties).... So looks like a few more days for park hunters... Cheers, RickO

• Options

So I have an array of sites that get the winter sun and are mildly pleasant to hunt. As long as there's no wind. And the ground isn't frozen. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ground is frozen in Iowa. Will look forward to your posts Roy. Good luck

• Options

Good luck Roy.... A bit of an extension to MD season is always welcome....Hope you find silver and gold... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take some wind and no snow or frozen ground. B)

• Options

Eight wheat cents today, plus an old piece of play money and a George Washington token from Shell gas.

• Options

That is a good day.... I am constantly surprised at the amount of wheaties and older coins you are finding...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    It turns out that my girlfriend's bank has a free coin counting machine. We went over there yesterday and got rid of $111.48 of dirty clad.

Today the weather warmed up and the ground wasn't frozen. We went to the new detecting site, but, didn't find anything old. The weather will be nice again tomorrow; so, we're planning to detect again. It will probably be the last detecting day of the year.

Thanks, I got a laugh out of " dirty clad" .

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions