Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... amazing silver haul....and a '42 WLH...that is special to me... ;) Congratulations.... If I were searching that site, I would spend days there...incredible....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I dug five more silver coins today: 1936-D Mercury dime, 1944-D Mercury dime, 1949-D dime, 1944-S quarter, and 1947 quarter. I also dug eleven wheat cents, a small sterling silver religious medallion, and a huge ridiculous Bruce Lee good luck token.

• Options

OK...this is now beyond amazing.....Your site is a silver coin mine... unbelievable.... :o Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    OK...this is now beyond amazing.....Your site is a silver coin mine... unbelievable.... :o

I've dug 40 silver coins from this site since September 21st. The school site I frequented a few years ago produced 60 silver coins, although they didn't come quite this quickly.

I'm hoping that my current site can produce more than 60. Even if it doesn't, I'd say it's still the best site I've ever detected because the coins are older, and because the site has produced a good number of silver quarters and halves.

• Options

It truly has been an amazing and productive site (as was that former school site)....You have been most fortunate in that no other MD'rs found the site....I hope the good fortune and silver finds continue....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Today I dug four silver dimes, a Buffalo nickel, and 20 wheat cents. The dimes are 1942, 1943, 1957-D, and 1962-D.

• Options

And so the silver mine continues.... ;) ... The copper mine has performed well also....You have - as I said before - an obviously virgin site that was the scene of much activity in the past. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I only dug two silver dimes today; but, they were good ones: 1911-D Barber dime and 1923 Mercury dime in beautiful condition. I also dug 10 wheat cents and a couple of old souvenir tokens.

• Options

I look forward to your silver finds (and always lots of wheaties) each week...The amount of silver dimes you are finding is amazing...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I visited a couple of sites today that I haven't hit for a year or more. I dug three silver dimes, two Buffalo nickels, and six wheat cents. The silver dimes are 1917-S Mercury, 1944 Mercury, and 1950-D.

• Options

Wow... you go to different sites than that silver 'mine' you have been searching... and STILL come up with silver dimes.... Fantastic.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 28, 2019 7:11PM

Today I went back to my good site and dug seven silver coins, 15 wheat cents, an old sales tax token, and a gold filled ring. The silver coins are:

1907-O Barber dime
    1945 Mercury dime
    1946 dime
    1963-D dime
    1964-D dime
    1940 quarter
    1937 Walking half

The condition of the two most interesting coins is the opposite of what I would have expected. The Walking half looks like it was run over by cars on a gravel road. Conversely, the 1907-O Barber dime looks like it was dropped when in mint condition.

• Options

Absolutely amazing....that site is a virtual silver coin mine.... and a WLH no less...even in poor condition that is a grea find....There MUST be a reason for so many silver coins there...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 3:33PM

My finds slowed down today. I dug a 1943-D Mercury dime, a 1906 Indian cent, and nine wheat cents.

• Options

And still hit a silver dime....Not to mention the haul of wheaties that always accompany the silver...If I had a site like that, I would be out there from dawn to dusk, every day, weather permitting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    And still hit a silver dime....Not to mention the haul of wheaties that always accompany the silver...If I had a site like that, I would be out there from dawn to dusk, every day, weather permitting.

November was my best month ever. I dug 32 silver coins this month.

• Options

@Bayard1908.... Well done...I think, based on what you have found so far, you could beat that total at that site....seems to be an inexhaustible supply there...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Here are last weekend's finds. The condition of the 1923 Mercury dime impressed me. I like the 1917-S too.

• Options

These are my Thanksgiving finds. The 1907-O Barber dime looks like it was dropped when brand new.

• Options

@Bayard1908 ... Thank you for the pictures....Most coins are in good condition... the WLH is a tad banged up, but one of those, in any condition, is a great find. Thanks again...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm concerned that my favorite new site is getting depleted. Today's finds were a 1919 Mercury dime, a Buffalo nickel, a 1920 Canadian cent, and 16 wheat cents.

• Options

I had some business across town today. After my business was completed, I spent a couple of hours detecting a site that I know still has some deep coins. I dug six deep wheat cents on faint signals today.

• Options

Wheaties are always a good find, and can be indicative of possible silver. Not sure how large your favorite site is, but those are still good finds. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wheaties are always a good find, and can be indicative of possible silver. Not sure how large your favorite site is, but those are still good finds. Cheers, RickO

The problem is that the site previously produced up to 10 silver coins per visit and is now producing only one silver coin per visit. I've taken 55 silver coins from this site since September 21st. I've gotten all of the easy targets, and probably most of the difficult targets, that my skill level and equipment are capable of recovering.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take 1 silver coin per visit just about any day :) Are you waiting for this site to freeze up over winter and then turn a little?

And 55 silvers since Sept Great

• Options

I agree with PPC.... Take a break and then go back... By the way, what equipment are you using?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

It was too cold to detect today; but, I went out briefly anyway to a location near my house. I found a 1951 dime and two wheat cents.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went hunting once with it snowing
    I only lasted about an hour before common sense took over. But I did find a Seated quarter. Fun memories

• Options

Detecting in the cold is not for me... Just do not like being cold... I can take the heat, lived in AZ for years, and Texas...But let the temperature get down to freezing, and I am in by the fire....Used to hunt in the snow and cold... hated it....loved to hunt though, so put up with it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I tried four new sites yesterday. None of them were any good. I dug a bunch of deep clad and four wheat cents.

• Options

Now that is one slow day for you..... No silver ...never thought that would happen... ;) Back to your super spot...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I was able to hunt at my favorite site today for the first time in over two weeks. I dug six silver coins, a 1907 V nickel, eleven wheat cents, and a Chinese cash coin. The silver coins are a 1904 Barber dime, 1928 Mercury dime, 1937 Mercury dime, 1941-D Mercury dime, 1942 Mercury dime, and 1943-P war nickel.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job Bayard. Merry Christmas to all the coin shooters out there

• Options

Wow...Those silver dimes just keep coming from that site....must have been an old carnival site or fair ground....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I went back to my favorite site today and dug six more silver coins: 1911 Barber dime, 1940 Mercury dime, 1953-S dime, 1963-D dime, 1925 Standing Liberty quarter, and 1960-D quarter. I also dug three Buffalo nickels and 18 wheat cents today.

• Options

Another great series of finds... The 1960 quarter is a standout among the older coins...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Back to my favorite site for the last time of the year, I dug two silver coins, two Buffalo nickels, a 1900 V nickel, and ten wheat cents. The silver coins are 1944 and 1945 Mercury dimes.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2019 10:05AM

The weather is nice enough for metal detecting today; but, I don't have the strength or the desire to go. I'll be working on Monday and Tuesday; so, my 2019 season is over.

This was my best year of metal detecting ever. I found 110 U.S. silver coins, including my first ever Barber quarter.

The finds break down as follows:

Silver:
    9 Barber dimes
    45 Mercury dimes
    31 Silver Roosevelt dimes
    1 Barber quarter (my first ever)
    3 Standing Liberty quarters
    12 Silver Washington quarters
    2 Barber Halves
    2 Walking Liberty halves
    5 War nickels
    A small quantity of silver rings and other jewelry

Obsolete non-silver coins:
    4 Indian cents
    3 Liberty nickels
    17 Buffalo nickels
    1 Chinese Cash coin
    1 1920 Canadian cent
    Approximately 357 Wheat cents

1 gold ring

I had very low expectations for this year. This was my first full calendar year with my new job that doesn't give me much time for detecting. I only found 32 silver coins last year and was hoping to find 20 this year, thinking this was a realistic goal because of my job.

I had 31 silver coins when I started the day metal detecting on September 21st, confident that I would soon exceed my meager total from 2018. I had five new sites mapped out for detecting that day. Four of the sites were unsearchable because of active athletic games. Reluctantly, I drove to the fifth and seemingly least desirable site.

When I pulled up to the site, I debated about even getting out of the car. A couple of disreputable looking groundskeepers were doing some work, and I wasn't in the mood for confrontation. Seeing as this was my only new site available though, I decided to risk getting asked to leave.

Almost immediately after I began detecting, I dug a very deep clad dime. I started thinking that maybe this site had been bulldozed or had too high a sink rate for productive detecting. I had nowhere else to go; so, I decided to keep detecting for a while longer.

Soon thereafter, I dug a 1950 wheat cent, an encouraging sign. The next coin I dug was a Mercury dime. This was my introduction to the greatest site I have ever metal detected. I ended up digging 10 silver coins that day, the most I have ever found in one day. 69 of my 110 silver coins for the year came from this site.

The finds at this site have slowed down considerably; so, I'll have to find some new sites to have a decent 2020. I have still yet to find a Franklin half or silver dollar.

• Options

Christmas Eve finds in the top row and day after Christmas finds in the bottom row.

• Options

You certainly had a banner year.... amazing silver totals...Congratulations and I wish you a Happy New Year and hope you find even more silver in 2020. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I was able to detect today for the first time in 2020, although I wasn't able to visit my favorite spot. I dug eight wheat cents.

• Options

I took the day off today to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather. I visited a site that showed a few signs of promise last year. I dug three silver coins and ten wheat cents. The silver coins are a beautiful 1942 quarter, a bent 1946 dime, and a beautiful 1948 quarter. The 1946 dime is the 400th U.S. silver coin I've ever found, and the 1948 quarter is #401.

• Options

Super silver finds...You had a great day, especially for what is usually off season - at least in cold country. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I metal detected between patches of snow today for a few hours at a hard hunted site. I managed to find three deep wheat cents.

• Options

Wow... truly a dedicated detectorist... MD'ing through snow.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your 2019 totals! Finally catching up on some threads.

• Options

@pcgs69 said:
    Congrats on your 2019 totals! Finally catching up on some threads.

I noticed your absence last year. Unfortunately, my best year coincided with your worst year. If you can make time to detect, I'm sure you can get back to making consistent silver finds.

• Options

I was able to visit my favorite site today for the first time this year. Although the ground was half frozen, I still did pretty well: 1902 Barber dime, 1963-D dime, 1943-S war nickel, 1925 Buffalo nickel, and four wheat cents. The Barber dime is in such nice condition that I will post a photograph someday soon.

• Options

I dug a 1935 Mercury dime and five wheat cents today. I won't be able to visit my favorite site again for a long time, probably not until Fall.

• Options

@Bayard1908.... Really great finds at that spot.... Why can you not visit it again until fall??? That is a long time and many, many pieces of silver not found....Cheers, RickO