Home Precious Metals
Options

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    bacon is seasonal. Peaks in August due to tomatoes at peak season in August. BLT's
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular Unleaded @ $3.199, was $3.149 last week. Could be worse.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Regular Unleaded @ $3.199, was $3.149 last week. Could be worse. >>

Metals will continue to follow oil. image

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metals will continue to follow oil.image

Life is long. Feel the Force, Luke.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life is long

While there has been inflation in human life expectancy, im not sure those over 80 years old would agree with the above comment.

So I stopped by MCD today for a sausage mcmuffin from the dollar menu. Yesterday was a buck, today a buck 19. Oh the humanity. Im never eating there again. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Starting September 1st the COZI channel is going to have CHiPS on every weeknight. >>

LOL, you must be using an antenna. It's free and I get over 60 channels, too bad 35 are in Spanish.

The only good ones are THIS, METV, ANTENNA, MOVIES, COZI, PBS and the local stuff.
    Ed
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I stopped by MCD today for a sausage mcmuffin from the dollar menu. Yesterday was a buck, today a buck 19. Oh the humanity. Im never eating there again

don't know about "never again," but after two days in a row, maybe "you deserve a break today" from McDonalds image

Also, give the "deluxe breakfast" a try, my local outlet makes a pretty big meal out of bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes, AND english muffin, all for under 5 bucks.
    Can feed myself and two kids on one of those meals

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    My kids don't like McDonald's breakfasts. I usually go there for a large unsweetened ice tea for a buck...that used to cost $1.79.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! You guys would love driving in ND. Driving 75 in a 65 is a $20 ticket, 85 in a 75 is $25-30. Minimum fine in construction is $80 so to get a high dollar ticket in ND you have to be doing something very stupid. Most cops here wont even pull you over unless your going atleast 8-10 over on the high ways. So for Interstate I set my cruise right at 80 or so and have never had a ticket or been pulled over.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    2 lawn tickets to see Jeff Beck and ZZ Top.........$35@ and well worth it.

Beck has become a master at age 70 with an emphasis on Blues.

Got rained out for ZZ Top though. Girlfriend was upset. Guess I will have to splurge for the real seats next time. image
  • Options
    Lay's Stax potato crisps (like Pringles but a little thicker and tastier) down to $1.02 for the same 5 3/4 oz blue tube with yellow label, from $1.18, a -13.5% decrease at Target.

• Options
    I bought a 1 pound bag of Twizzlers at Ace hardware yesterday for $1.00.

• Options
    2 Beers at the sports bar last night were $11 bucks with tip.

Smile from the two nice ladies that I bought them for were priceless!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Food prices would come down considerably if we all refrained from the extra 300 calories per day we intake. Thats 100 billion extra calories per day we consume in America. >>

American farmers produce over 4000 calories per American, per day. >>

This is probably pretty close but the main reason is waste and sloth in the distribution
    system. They pick fruit long before it's even ripe which means it will never taste right
    and barely ever be edible. Of course they are engineered to transport well instead of
    to taste good anyway so it hardly matters. Then they let them sit for protracted periods
    rather than to expedite them to the stores. By the time the stores put them out their
    shelf life is down to minutes so anything unsold goes straight in the dumpster. Most
    people fillup two or three garbage cans every week with the crap they bought at wally
    world that broke the first time they used it and inedible fruit they bought minutes before
    it was rotten. One store around here started throwing away avocados when they just
    got ripe because they thought soft meant rotten. Another store waited until they were
    spongey before they even set them out.

You used to be able to buy Wahington apples picked when they were ripe but now all
    these apples are inedible that get shipped all the way east. They look nice but they were
    picked green so they only look nice.

But it's all products that are being ruined by the big food companies that pump them up
    with water and sodium tripolyphosphate and the flavor of the day such as gaur gum or
    seaweed. Some of this stuff isn't even digestible and it all increases waste in various ways.
    Consumers just don't care. Stick a chicken and they won't even complain when the re-
    sulting geyser soaks down their kitchen with $2 a pound bloody chemical soaked water.

Of course the farmers are wasteful as well so they probably actually produce about 5000
    calories to get 4000 to market and 2000 inside human stomachs.

Remarkably this system is probably more efficient than many of our other failed systems.
    We spend thousands a year to not educate a large percentage of the population. We spend
    thousands to put hundreds of dollars of product on the market. We flush money down the
    drain at every turn and pay wealthy people millions to destroy billions in wealth.

Prices here are finally starting to come down for the season. Harvests are starting to come in.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Food prices would come down considerably if we all refrained from the extra 300 calories per day we intake. Thats 100 billion extra calories per day we consume in America. >>

American farmers produce over 4000 calories per American, per day. >>

This is probably pretty close but the main reason is waste and sloth in the distribution
    system. They pick fruit long before it's even ripe which means it will never taste right
    and barely ever be edible. Of course they are engineered to transport well instead of
    to taste good anyway so it hardly matters. Then they let them sit for protracted periods
    rather than to expedite them to the stores. By the time the stores put them out their
    shelf life is down to minutes so anything unsold goes straight in the dumpster. Most
    people fillup two or three garbage cans every week with the crap they bought at wally
    world that broke the first time they used it and inedible fruit they bought minutes before
    it was rotten. One store around here started throwing away avocados when they just
    got ripe because they thought soft meant rotten. Another store waited until they were
    spongey before they even set them out.

You used to be able to buy Wahington apples picked when they were ripe but now all
    these apples are inedible that get shipped all the way east. They look nice but they were
    picked green so they only look nice.

But it's all products that are being ruined by the big food companies that pump them up
    with water and sodium tripolyphosphate and the flavor of the day such as gaur gum or
    seaweed. Some of this stuff isn't even digestible and it all increases waste in various ways.
    Consumers just don't care. Stick a chicken and they won't even complain when the re-
    sulting geyser soaks down their kitchen with $2 a pound bloody chemical soaked water.

Of course the farmers are wasteful as well so they probably actually produce about 5000
    calories to get 4000 to market and 2000 inside human stomachs.

Remarkably this system is probably more efficient than many of our other failed systems.
    We spend thousands a year to not educate a large percentage of the population. We spend
    thousands to put hundreds of dollars of product on the market. We flush money down the
    drain at every turn and pay wealthy people millions to destroy billions in wealth.

Prices here are finally starting to come down for the season. Harvests are starting to come in. >>

Well said and great post.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inflation is so bad that when cladking dug up a bunch of obw rolls of halfs he had put away they were dimes.

folks I'll be here all week , don't forget to tip your server

• Options
    They pick fruit long before it's even ripe which means it will never taste right
    rather than to expedite them to the stores

The "localvore" movement is a response to this. Some people get a basket of organically grown fruit and vegetables every week from a cooperative, all grown within a couple hours drive from their home, picked at the peak of ripeness or just before, and you get what's in season and you take what you get though, so it probably helps to be fond of "bowl of weeds" type salads (I think they call them "field greens" euphemistically, right wife?) and with a good blender and baked goods recipes you can get some great smoothies and carrot cakes and banana breads and end up wasting very little and eating very tasty and healthy produce.

Also, lots of gastropubs and bistros feature regionally grown foods which are growing in popularity.

You're absolutely right, though, the lowest common denominator type of foods are of course factory operations, that's what keeps prices down, even with the loss of quality and level of waste due to spoilage.

• Options
    How did they get apples from Washington before the interstate highway system?

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How did they get apples from Washington before the interstate highway system? >>

Refer trucks and trains. The trucks used the old US highway system.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did they get apples from Washington before the interstate highway system? >>

They probably didn't. There were many more smaller towns; the local areas were much more self sufficient. They had their own orchards, meat suppliers, etc. Even the small town I live in used to have orchards, their own newspaper, local dairies, etc. Now of course none of those exist any longer. Food now comes from the large corporation suppliers (such as Washington apples, California lettuce, etc.)
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Dentists sure have been piling it on lately.

Recommended deep scaling and cleaning......$640.

Good time to head down Nogales way.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Waxing, and refrigerated rail cars.

If you're over 50, you probably remember eating waxed apples when they were out of season.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Citrus fruit in the 60s was only available during the winter in the midwest, Jan - Mar, fresh oranges were a treat, otherwise it was that crappy condensed frozen stuff that you added water to in a 3:1 ratio.

Now you can get fresh fruit year round at a stable price.

Anita Bryant, you rocked -

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lay's Stax potato crisps (like Pringles but a little thicker and tastier) down to $1.02 for the same 5 3/4 oz blue tube with yellow label, from $1.18, a -13.5% decrease at Target. >>

They got you...... even you are prey... you see they make there real money selling Cardiovascular Medications... you gonna need them.... if you don't already.image
  • Options
    At least there's no inflation in bank interest rates in Australia. image

Quarter page ad taken out by ANZ bank boasting their interest rates for deposits:

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    This rate fixing on interest returns has really gotten out of hand. Poor sap in the middle class with a few bucks on deposit need a good lube for each end.
  • Options
    just how much Interest does this poor sap expect to receive for his "few bucks?" was it ever enough to live on? no. There is not much real difference between 7% and zero % on "a few bucks" of deposits.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just how much Interest does this poor sap expect to receive for his "few bucks?" was it ever enough to live on? no. There is not much real difference between 7% and zero % on "a few bucks" of deposits. >>

...and the 7% as taxable income.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when I would receive 10%..nothing to sneeze about at that time.
    And depending where you lived you could live on 50k a year, with your paycheck.
    I would be a happy camper with 7% as of now.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember when I would receive 10%..nothing to sneeze about at that time.
    And depending where you lived you could live on 50k a year, with your paycheck.
    I would be a happy camper with 7% as of now. >>

Along with a prime rate of 8%+, car loan 10%+, mortgage of 8.5%+ ... just to name a few

Yup, I sure remember those "good ole days"image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I remember when I would receive 10%..

And you paid 12% on your mortgage.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Pretty funny as people expect the bank to pay them interest, while of course they (like the people they berate) take no responsiblity n do nothing... If u can't make more than 7-10-20% plus with your own money yourself, why talk about the welfare people and all the entitlements? U R the same as them, looking for bank entitlements...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty funny as people expect the bank to pay them interest, while of course they (like the people they berate) take no responsiblity n do nothing... If u can't make more than 7-10-20% plus with your own money yourself, why talk about the welfare people and all the entitlements? U R the same as them, looking for bank entitlements... >>

no different than a bank expecting to earn interest on what it loans out. A depositor is fully justified to expect a return on his "saved" labor, especially when the bank is making money tenfold on that same labor. The Progressive thinkers here need to re-evaluate your dream of an "ideal" world. Your utopia results in only a few nobles and many, many serfs. There will always be serfs, primarily through their own doing. What percentage of the population they make up is what needs to be carefully established. I don't mind not being a noble and I am thankful I am not a serf - do not take the determination of my position in this world out of my own hands.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> A depositor is fully justified to expect a return on his "saved" labor, especially when the bank is making money tenfold on that same labor. >>

lol, i think u missed the point???...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>A depositor is fully justified to expect a return on his "saved" labor, especially when the bank is making money tenfold on that same labor. >>

<< <i>lol, i think u missed the point???... >>

lol, I don't think so. You said "Pretty funny as people expect the bank to pay them interest."

lol, I don't find it funny at all. I find it completely within reason.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A depositor is fully justified to expect a return on his "saved" labor, especially when the bank is making money tenfold on that same labor. >>

lol, I don't think so. You said "Pretty funny as people expect the bank to pay them interest."

lol, I don't find it funny at all. I find it completely within reason. >>

yea, ok, u missed it...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

yea, ok, u missed it... >>

yea, ok, some of us can't read minds. Got a point to make? Try making it clearly.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    I did... One must discover truth by themselves...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

yea, ok, u missed it... >>

yea, ok, some of us can't read minds. Got a point to make? Try making it clearly. >>

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a damn word he's saying
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember when I would receive 10%..

And you paid 12% on your mortgage. >>

Yup, lol. I remember, I think it was around 1992, being excited to get a mortgage under 10% for a condo in Southern Cal.
  • Options
    Rarely drink, but wonder about the $5.00 beer at a restaurant. Add in tax and tip and it is $6.00 for a server to pop open the same beverage that you can enjoy at home for $1. At least the food takes some effort to prepare.
  • Options
    Remember when you had someone else pump your gas? Now you have to do it yourself. Such a PITA!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Rarely drink, but wonder about the $5.00 beer at a restaurant. Add in tax and tip and it is $6.00 for a server to pop open the same beverage that you can enjoy at home for $1. At least the food takes some effort to prepare. >>

Part of what you are getting for the cost of a beer somewhere out, vs your one at home, is short term rental of your seat in that restaurant, all the ambiance of the place and any view(s) associated, the services of the people who carried the beer from the store (distributor) to your current location including especially your server, the stocking and cooling of the beer and the other overhead of the establishment (air conditioning, 17 televisions, servers wearing low cut tops and high cut bottoms, etc), the selection of choices offered (which you would have to stock at home to have the available variety) and I could go on and on... but if it's not a good deal to you there, don't do it, easy peasy.

and just because you paid $4 one place at lunch and $6 somewhere else at dinner, and then $9 at the club that night, no, that ain't "inflation", but you knew all that, didn't you?

• Options

<< <i>and just because you paid $4 one place at lunch and $6 somewhere else at dinner, and then $9 at the club that night, no, that ain't "inflation", but you knew all that, didn't you? >>

Figured that one out, Baley. image

Of course choices of how to spend our money is on us (cepting the ACA). Quite often the high margin alcoholic beverages make the difference between a restaurant prospering or going bust. $5 for a standard issue beer at a chain operation is on the high side in my book but to each his own.

On the other hand I have been to adult clubs back in Michigan where the entertainment justified the 500% or higher markup.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10/hr therapists with brews are better than the $200/hr prozakers.
  • Options

<< <i>$10/hr therapists with brews are better than the $200/hr prozakers. >>

Yeah....a good bartender is priceless.
  • Options
    Doubling down on inflation

"Since the markets crashed in 2008, central banks around the world have worked feverishly to push up the prices of financial assets and to keep consumer prices rising steadily. They have done so in the official belief that these outcomes are vital ingredients in the recipe for economic growth. The theory is that steady inflation creates demand by inspiring consumers to spend in advance of predictable price increases. (The flip side is that falling prices "deflation," strangles demand by inspiring consumers to defer spending)."

Do central banks really believe that consumption/demand should be driven by fear (of higher prices)? Didn't Germany experience this many years ago? This time it will be different? image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    That's why some people have been highly skeptical of reports of sustained systemic inflation.

• Options
    Fed beginning with Bernanke has been doing a large scale experiment with the world as a laboratory and us as Algernon.
  • Options