Home Precious Metals
Options

Forum member inflation report.

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that the cost of an average new home has increased $16k due to higher lumber prices.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice woody renman!

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Noticed the price of hand sanitizer is through the roof. Lysol I assume too but haven't seen a can on the shelf in months. OJ and lumber just crazy. Good thing beans and butter are still cheap.

Our stores are sold out of canned beans, canned meat, onions, dried onions, spices, ammo, guns, gold, silver. I wish we had the luxury of being able to get butter. Butter powder went up $5 on Amazon, actually.

Now with the fires this situation is going to be impossible to handle unless... you uh.. prepared for 90-180 days like those crazy conspiratorial prepper lunatics. Because none of the stuff that is happening right now ever happens. Those guys are out of their minds they must just be trying to scare people because some people just wanna scare others or see the world burn. Why would anyone want to hoard resources when so many have so little? They must be out of their minds, damn them... what were they thinking stocking food and supplies for their families, the bastards!

:D

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you live close to the fires, you don't need food and ammo. you need moving boxes.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Azurescens said:

Our stores are sold out of canned beans, canned meat, onions, dried onions, spices, ammo, guns, gold, silver. I wish we had the luxury of being able to get butter. Butter powder went up $5.

Well, at least you still have ribeyes, baked potatos, chicken breast, pork loin, asparagus, brocolli, olive oil and wine and chocolate cake.

Dang, now im hungry. 🥩🎂🥨🍔🌮🍷

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2020 3:14PM

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

quality TP is in short supply. clorox and other such wipes are continuously out of stock. forget about getting purell and the store brand hand sanitizer (other brands aplenty). rubbing alcohol goes out of stock almost as soon as they resupply.

everything else is fine. people have quit hoarding all toilet paper. dish soap used to be hoarded but that is only in short supply at times but not out of stock.

the point I made earlier I stand by... if you are hoarding for a fire then you are doing the wrong thing. if you are hoarding dues to the virus then that area of the country is still panicked. on the other hand, the fire might disrupt supply chains (warehouses) then perhaps some stocking up is good... on the other other hand... do you have relatives that live somewhere else you could stay with for a while?

the other half just bought factory made ribs on sale.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Hoarding for a fire is the wrong thing? We might not have grocery shopping for a month. It's either open the pantry or beg or go hungry. Enjoy starving.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baley....yumm, bravo

• Options

@Baley said:

Looks like you are out of canned beans and dried onions also.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2020 10:13PM

Had no idea "butter powder" was a thing..
    Learn something new every day 😉

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is getting ready for its permanent residency in the 2000 and above price range. The 18 and 1900 dollar price range will soon be a distant memory. Thank you FED

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    on the other hand, the fire might disrupt supply chains (warehouses) then perhaps some stocking up is good... on the other other hand... do you have relatives that live somewhere else you could stay with for a while?

got relatives elsewhere?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s so great about 2% inflation?

"That level of inflation cuts the value of the dollar in half in 35 years, and in half again in another 35 years. Your dollar would lose 75% of its value in an average lifetime. If inflation is only 3%, the 75% dollar devaluation happens in about 45-years; an average career span. Zero percent inflation is the only appropriate target."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i Noticed the price of hand sanitizer is going way up too, bought a 32 ounce bottle of equate at wal mart for 3.90 in April, just bought another one a few weeks ago for 5.45

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

"That level of inflation cuts the value of the dollar in half in 35 years, and in half again in another 35 years. Your dollar would lose 75% of its value in an average lifetime. If inflation is only 3%, the 75% dollar devaluation happens in about 45-years; an average career span. Zero percent inflation is the only appropriate target."

The dollar has been devaluing for over 100 years. It’s not like our quality of life is only 5% what it was in 1912. It’s a stupid point to make.

High inflation or hyperinflation is a whole different animal.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@derryb said:

The dollar has been devaluing for over 100 years. It’s not like our quality of life is only 5% what it was in 1912. It’s a stupid point to make.

Thank god I earn many more dollars then Great-Grandpa did in 1912, Grandpa did in 1942, Dad did in 1982 and even what I did back in 2001........or even 2019 for that matter. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

Also, hard and smart working people tend to get raises higher than 2% 😉

• Options

I can see that some don't mind if their money is stolen very slowly. lol

• Options
    edited September 18, 2020 6:03PM

@derryb said:
    I can see that some don't mind if their money is stolen very slowly. lol

In fact, some of us, would like to see it stolen more quickly.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2020 7:12PM

2 Cans of beer to go, $11

Her smiling eyes at keeping the change from a twenty? Priceless.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2020 12:28AM

Today's shopping run:

Chicken in stock (substituted) and $6 more than usual for 5lbs.

Canned and marinated mushrooms and olives are scarce. None this time around. 2lbs of bacon $3 more, first time in months.. would have paid $10/lb if they asked.

Canned meat, spices, and stews have been spotty. All of these items are more expensive and since they were cheap to begin with it's super noticeable. Even just the cheap spice bottles and instant meals and everything. It feels like they all actually cost money now. Paper plates and plastic utensils are a few more dollars for 25ct plates and 100ct mixed plastic ware.

We got eggs but they're the overpriced free range golden hen whatever so idk I dont follow those prices. But, 75c/ea, and we havent had eggs in so long we thanked them for it the whole time they sucked my wallet dry.

Still no steak, no onions at this location either, all the potatoes are old so we did the vitamin C thing and we are drying them. We should probably be mashing them but I'm not sure how many bad potatoes I can eat right now with the smoke inhalation.

We spend roughly 50-100 more per run of 8-10 bags of the same crap. A lot of it is just such basic staples anyway bc junk food doesnt really exist everywhere all the time anymore. Amazon had granola bars in bulk but the box with 12 less is the same price as the 48ct now.

Survival food got more expensive. All freeze dried items cost significantly more. Canned onions (40 servings) went up $7 to $42 while they sat in my cart. Related foodstuffs with 25yr shelf life all used to be sub 20 but some arent even sub 50 anymore.

Zicam and multivitamins are a dollar or two more each depending. Milk is a dollar+ more. Bagels are stupid expensive now!! So much for that, gd it. Instant potatoes are gone even though they used to be so cheap.

All canned meat went from cheap garbage to holding a premium. Even getting the generic is a treat but it can be almost $2 more ea.

Distilled water is $1-$2 more, effectively doubling+ the price. If I was still working hourly, the most basic of canned fruit would now be a treat.

God save anybody else who does lab work and needs it. Get a gallon now for cleaning dipped coins, while you can. It was one of the first things to disappear.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home Depot 2x4's over $6 now. Unbelievable. Looks like future DIY stick framing projects just doubled.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@metalmeister said:
    I estimate the cost of construction for a "She Shed" my Wife wanted probably doubled in the past 6 months.
    Lumber has gone ballistic. This was the trigger to massive inflation coming IMHO. When folks start seeing the cost of paper products soaring........ Have you seen the cost of toilet paper? Not going back down. Got Gold?

Supply and demand is an interesting thing. If it's profitable to do so, someone will make more wooden boards someday. Try not to panic. 😱 the rainy season is on the way..

• Options

Baley : Retired from the Construction engineering field. 30 years. Never seen lumber move up 170% in 5 months before. Budgets are being blown up. Hold on to your hats boys.

• Options

No one alive has seen many events of the past 5 months before. Hold on to your hats is right. And masks, and sprays, and memes. 😉

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Inflation ultimately being a hidden form of taxation is not a good thing and ignoring the math implications combined with taxes, not pretty.

@Baley said:

Also, hard and smart working people tend to get raises higher than 2% 😉

'Let them eat cake' tends not to work well historically. It ultimately behooves you for the standard to improve collectively, oppression of any form tends not to work out well longterm. Never a good thing causing harm to others nor turning a blind eye to it.

I wish more people understood math and game theory plus are mindful of history myself.

• Options

Night vision goggles, fishing reels/gear, 10mL sterile syringes, 1.5" 20-24g needles, propane tanks, butane, camp stoves, small tents, boots, backpacks, power banks (Vekkia) and related all went up by a few dollars each.

Wish I bought them months ago, but then again, I didnt think I'd be opening this specific chapter in history but here we are.

@metalmeister said:
    Baley : Retired from the Construction engineering field. 30 years. Never seen lumber move up 170% in 5 months before. Budgets are being blown up. Hold on to your hats boys.

Was wondering the other day if covid and the fires were the end of wood construction and furniture.

We have 3d printable homes now so probably never gonna see this type of labor a few years from now.

• Options

Wood has been used for construction for over 5000 years. It's also a renewable resource. I like think of wood as a "Old Friend".

• Options

plastics will continue to replace wood in construction. The more expensive lumber becomes, the more research into plastics structural properties.

• Options

plastics burn too.

• Options

so does carpet

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    Night vision goggles, fishing reels/gear, 10mL sterile syringes, 1.5" 20-24g needles, propane tanks, butane, camp stoves, small tents, boots, backpacks, power banks (Vekkia) and related all went up by a few dollars each.

Wish I bought them months ago, but then again, I didnt think I'd be opening this specific chapter in history but here we are.

Wow, that's quite a shopping list!
    Having a party? 🤣

• Options

where does this chart come from?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    where does this chart come from?

https://finviz.com/futures_performance.ashx?v=17

Used to be at the bottom of comparesilverprices.com but the link broke then after months they replaced with kitco live spot charts.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Take a deep breath every one. Stay diversified. Cash , PM's, Stocks, High dividend stocks, Bonds, Real Estate. Gold and Silver only in the Second inning. IMHO :)

• Options

Lessons On Inflation From The Past.

"The final collapse of a currency is always a flight out of government fiat currency into goods. That can be the only outcome from the continuation of current macroeconomic policies. But above all, it would be a mistake to think it cannot happen, nor that it will be a long process giving us all plenty of time to plan."

About that dollar index:

"there is no foreign currency against which to measure the dollar’s decline, except perhaps in the short run, because all central banks follow similar inflationary policies with their fiat currencies."

• Options
    edited September 26, 2020 1:10PM

• Options
    edited September 26, 2020 8:23PM

• Options

@derryb said:
    Lessons On Inflation From The Past.

"The final collapse of a currency is always a flight out of government fiat currency into goods. That can be the only outcome from the continuation of current macroeconomic policies. But above all, it would be a mistake to think it cannot happen, nor that it will be a long process giving us all plenty of time to plan."

About that dollar index:

"there is no foreign currency against which to measure the dollar’s decline, except perhaps in the short run, because all central banks follow similar inflationary policies with their fiat currencies."

I am trying to get every thing done around the house so I can relax for the next 30 years. Lumber and cement prices got away from me and spiked before I start the last two main projects on the property. The Wife's She Shed and large Veranda. Oh well, what else can possibly happen in 2020. :o

• Options

The good news: One day soon we will all be millionaires.

The not so good news: Our quality of life will be the same.

• Options
    DorkisDorkis Posts: 22 ✭✭

@derryb said:
    The good news: One day soon we will all be millionaires.

The not so good news: Our quality of life will be the same.

Good prediction.