Options

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@metalmeister said:

@jmski52 said:
    Car dealership wants $3,300 for a couple of gaskets. My first new car was about that much.

A 3 year old Mercedes dash flat screen went out. $4000.

99% of the time it is the digitizer (the screen itself). Replaced number of them in Cadillacs, screen under $100 and do it yourself videos on you tube.

YouTube has saved me 'tons' in automotive costs.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@derryb said:

@metalmeister said:

@jmski52 said:
    Car dealership wants $3,300 for a couple of gaskets. My first new car was about that much.

A 3 year old Mercedes dash flat screen went out. $4000.

99% of the time it is the digitizer (the screen itself). Replaced number of them in Cadillacs, screen under $100 and do it yourself videos on you tube.

YouTube has saved me 'tons' in automotive costs.

Is this an example of the deflationary effects of technological advancements?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

age old example of do it yourself and save money. Older than dirt.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:
    age old example of do it yourself and save money. Older than dirt.

Because the knowledge to do so was gained via the videos that you yourself admitted to watching.

Videos=old dirt. Lol

• Options
    edited January 12, 2020 10:28PM

do it yourself = old as dirt. knowledge is everywhere, you just have to open your eyes and your ears. Before you tube they had these things called books.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    do it yourself = old as dirt. knowledge is everywhere, you just have to open your eyes and your ears. Before you tube they had these things called books.

...and curmudgeony old neighbors that never returned your tools, but could show you how to fix just about anything for the price of a beer.

• Options

@derryb said:

Wow!!! Thanks fior the wisdom. Lol

So its just as easy and efficient to find a book as it is to find a video on YouTube. Thanks man!! You rock!!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

So its just as easy and efficient to find a book as it is to find a video on YouTube. Thanks man!! You rock!!

We need a sarcasm emoji. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2020 8:00AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

When I searched "car repair" and "you rock," I got this. :#

https://youtu.be/0sEeTmlRC_A

• Options

You gotta clean you cache once in a while coinstatled.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2020 4:50PM

Jim Rickards discusses the aftermath of the current depression

velocity of money is generated by spending. Spending can be "encouraged" with negative interest rates. Negative interest rates depend on who is driving the bus.

• Options

This is an interesting thread in that it began six years ago by a poster who got banned within that first year only to return two years later; he then posted in this very same thread under a different name only to get banned, again, three years later. That's gotta be a record of smoe sort, right(?)

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, but I don't think that's even close to a record. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our City is raising Sewer fees 30%. 10% each year for 3 years. And CD's pay 1%

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020 7:48AM

are they at least "renovating" the sewer system?

the town I grew up in used those sewer cameras to see what's up. they found the pipes/culverts leaking in rainwater that was later sewage processed. nothing came of it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2020 4:19AM

Any more anecdotal evidence?

I traded in my truck for another in late Feb. The trade-in value today is about 18% higher than it was then.

• Options

opinion pieces are allowed, right?

https://www.reuters.com/article/china-metals-ahome/column-metal-markets-caught-out-by-strength-of-chinese-stimulus-andy-home-idUSL8N2FM2ZJ

LONDON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - London copper hit a two-year high of $6,707 per tonne on Wednesday, extending its super-charged rally from the March lows of $4,371.

Where copper leads, the rest of the London Metal Exchange (LME) base metals tend to follow.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Apparently we are allowed to state our opinion, but we cannot question others' opinions. And we can certainly not ask for evidence or facts by which others have constructed such opinions, lest we accept cartoons.

• Options

I shouldn't have made the joke...

• Options
    edited August 25, 2020 4:03PM

Everything is opinion. It's simple: agree with it or don't agree with it.

• Options

TWO YEAR high!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noticed the price of hand sanitizer is through the roof. Lysol I assume too but haven't seen a can on the shelf in months. OJ and lumber just crazy. Good thing beans and butter are still cheap.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2020 6:04PM

@derryb said:
    Everything is opinion. It's simple: agree with it or don't agree with it.

Only in the world where perception is fact. Its a world where someone who disagrees is deemed a troll. A strange world that is indeed. A sad world.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

The inflation in my trading account over the past month or so was mostly from commodities.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Noticed the price of hand sanitizer is through the roof. Lysol I assume too but haven't seen a can on the shelf in months. OJ and lumber just crazy. Good thing beans and butter are still cheap.

Lumber has absolutely dominated silver this year. Must have been because JPM was ordered to liquidate or the manipulators have been caught. Lol

BTW---did anyone notice lumber went into backwardation a few weeks ago? I didnt think so. ;)

• Options
    edited August 25, 2020 6:26PM

@blitzdude said:
    Noticed the price of hand sanitizer is through the roof.

define through the roof. I guess we also need to agree on "good for delivery" because no name brands are sitting on the shelf. Suave is owned by unilever and I think some is made in the usa. that stuff is easy to find and is just sitting on shelves. purell is next to impossible to find. unrecognizable names are all over.

here is something to give pause: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-consumers-should-not-use (read past their suggested lab testing methods)

• Options

Lumber: That $2 2x4 last year is now $4.50 at home Depot. Yikes! Home construction costs are going to be incredible.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2020 10:33AM

_Lumber has absolutely dominated silver this year. Must have been because JPM was ordered to liquidate or the manipulators have been caught. Lol

BTW---did anyone notice lumber went into backwardation a few weeks ago? I didnt think so_

The salient point, I believe - is that other commodities aren't reacting the same way that lumber is reacting, so money supply and money velocity are not what's causing the price increases. Do you KNOW why lumber is skyrocketing? I'm not aware of JPM being fined for manipulating this market, unlike what they've been caught doing in silver.

I suppose anything is possible, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that JPM is working behind the scenes in the lumber market gyrations and just haven't been caught doing it yet.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lumber is in high demand because lots of folks are currently building home offices, home schools, home bars, home coffee shops, home gyms, home yoga studios, home movie theaters, home dance clubs, home salons, etc.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 12:04PM

2019: The year the Federal Reserve admitted it was wrong

Right, these guys know what they're doing. They are clueless at doing the right thing. They are effective in transferring wealth upward.

• Options

We're in the company of greatness here!

So impressive that our local stay at home keyboard warriors are better economists than the Federal reserve board, smarter about business than captains of industry, more educated about all subjects than college professors, more talented at medicine than doctors and professional research scientists, the list goes on..

Of course, some may not even get to see my praise, since they have decided to be ignore-ant of my posts here.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2020 12:32PM

As long as The Fed can beat the life out of the USD they will. Everyone knows there is a limited time for this and no one cares as long as they can stuff their pockets today. We are in unprecedented times, where only one rule applies.

They will need a lot more fuel for the fire this fall and even greater amounts this winter. There is no upper limit and no sanity at this time. 100% driven by greed.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Lumber is in high demand because lots of folks are currently building home offices, home schools, home bars, home coffee shops, home gyms, home yoga studios, home movie theaters, home dance clubs, home salons, etc.

And silver is in high demand because on a relative basis to other assets it was cheap. Or, if you are "woke" because JPM was ordered to liquidate. Take your pick.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2020 4:02PM

@Baley said:

So impressive that our local stay at home keyboard warriors are better economists than the Federal reserve board, smarter about business than captains of industry, more educated about all subjects than college professors, more talented at medicine than doctors and professional research scientists, the list goes on..

Of course, some may not even get to see my praise, since they have decided to be ignore-ant of my posts here.

Got a PM that you were depressed because I'm ignoring you. Thought I'd check in to make sure you're OK.

Sleep well knowing that a college drop out, Dr. Mr. Gates, became one of the richest men in the world and is probably in a position to ensure that you WILL BE getting your next vaccination whether you want it or not. lol.

Your at home keyboard warriors can balance a checkbook and generally avoid foreclosure. They have what your high dollar heroes don't have - discipline and restraint. None of this is rocket science; just common sense. Doesn't require graduate study formulas or even a calculator, just good old fashioned arithmetic. Unfortunately, you are not alone in falsely believing that title and education dictate ones ability to lead and to make decisions for others. Gold is screaming at you: "Your faith is misplaced."

Be safe.

• Options

Lumber: There is a massive Douglas Fir die off going on in N/W America due to beetle infestation. Southern pine in the S/E is ok .....so far. GLTA

• Options

That 2x4 x 8ft at Home depot that was $2.50 last year, $4.50 last month is now pushing $6 out the door with CA Sales Tax and CA "Lumber Fee". Lumber #1 commodity gainer in 2020.

• Options

Isn't supply and demand interesting?

If you gotta have a wooden board or this year's ASE right here and now, you gonna have to pay what it costs. If you can wait, they'll make some more soon..
    Because it is profitable to do so.

As supply increases, the prices will come back down.

• Options

Doing my part, breaking it down and retailing singles on the BST and eBay, keep on stacking!

• Options

Five reason the FED won't get it's desired inflation.

"The Federal Reserve’s new policy tool is nothing more than a “do anything” excuse. The reality is the Fed has no actual ability to create employment, control inflation, or create economic prosperity. The only thing they do have the ability to continue to create is the “wealth gap.”

The FED's “new policy” is very much the same as the “old policy,” which will likely continue to foster economic inequality, inflated assets, and a further widening of the “wealth gap. Most telling is the inability of the current economists who maintain our monetary and fiscal policies to realize the problem of trying to “cure a debt problem with more debt. The Keynesian view that “more money in people’s pockets” will drive up consumer spending, with a boost to GDP being the result, has been wrong. It hasn’t happened in 40 years."

• Options

Bought 650 bd/ft of white oak from an Amish mill for $367.00/cash this week. It's rough cut so will have to sand myself. I would of paid $700 for the same amount of cheap pine at Lowes today and that's with the 10% military discount.

Morale of the story: Lumber prices are out of control, god bless the Amish.

• Options

and the cost to sand?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    and the cost to sand?

I'll let you know. Next weeks side project.

• Options

What cha buildin'?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

The place I get my vehicle emissions done has been $14.99 as long as I've been in this county and was when I had to do mine in the spring. Drove by yesterday running the jeep around - $17.99. +20%

• Options

The Fed's Brilliant Plan? More Inflation and Higher Prices

"The question is not if the current system will end. The question is how it will end."

• Options

I estimate the cost of construction for a "She Shed" my Wife wanted probably doubled in the past 6 months.
    Lumber has gone ballistic. This was the trigger to massive inflation coming IMHO. When folks start seeing the cost of paper products soaring........ Have you seen the cost of toilet paper? Not going back down. Got Gold?

• Options

Lumber falling back quite a bit but certainly wouldn't know it at the hardware store. Good news is energy, meats and grains remain cheap.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surf City, here we come! :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Surf City, here we come! :)

She has a long journey ahead.