Home Precious Metals
Options

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One can eat breakfast or lunch for a buck or less a day, trader joes almond butter, organic fruit jelly spread with no added sugar and Ezekiel bread.... >>

TJ's almond butter is $6 or seven bucks a pound. Ezekiel bread is $3.69. Fruit spread is what $2.50. It would take about half of all that to cover my lunch. image >>

Lol, so u eat the whole loaf n all huh?... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>One can eat breakfast or lunch for a buck or less a day, trader joes almond butter, organic fruit jelly spread with no added sugar and Ezekiel bread.... >>

TJ's almond butter is $6 or seven bucks a pound. Ezekiel bread is $3.69. Fruit spread is what $2.50. It would take about half of all that to cover my lunch. image >>

Lol, so u eat the whole loaf n all huh?... Lol... >>

About half. image

That stuff can be like cardboard if not real fresh. About the only salt free bread that they have though.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lol, so u eat the whole loaf n all huh?... Lol... >>

About half. image

That stuff can be like cardboard if not real fresh. About the only salt free bread that they have though. >>

So buy a bread machine , I got one for Christmas last year and I'm making bread all the time. Probably the best present I have received in years.

Salt is important in bread it regulates the action of the yeast and if the bread happens to be in DRY climates it needs salt to keep from going stale so quickly , if you are buying no salt or low salt bread in Tucson that is why it turns to cardboard.image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can eat a 1/2 can of chunk light "shredded tuna" fish with some lettuce and "faux-mayo" for <$1 and that could be lunch or breakfast (only concern might be the mercury). We used the Ezekiel bread as out last experiment to find a "healthy" bread. It's still based on processed grains. And while better than most other "whole grain" breads, it's still a somewhat processed food. Instead of bread find other non-processed carbo's like veggies to use for your dipping/crunching (celery, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, red cabbage). I find the red cabbage a good alternative for "chips" or dipping. Avocado, humus, apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion, EVOO makes a good spread, mayo-alternative, or dip for most anything. If the time comes when money is even tighter or my breakfast foods are jacked up in price....it just might be tuna and veggies for breakfast. Making your own bread doesn't make it healthy....unless you're making bread from whole/raw buckwheat, bulgur, and other real grains. Wheat is edible but it's not a very nutritious food, probably causing more ills than it helps. But, it's cheap and fills bellies easily. Nothing wrong with a tuna fish "sandwich" wrapped in cabbage or 1/2 a bell pepper. Protein and wheat aren't a great combo food....also causing problems as your body strains to digest those 2 together, doing justice to neither one. Protein + fat/veggies is a proper mix. If you can't lose weight when eating good foods, check how you mix them.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>So buy a bread machine , I got one for Christmas last year and I'm making bread all the time. Probably the best present I have received in years. >>

Not a bad idea. I frequently used a friend's machine a couple of decades ago. The whole grain recipe was tasty and not dry.

What brand do you have?
  • Options

I have a hamilton beach bread machine . If you have to have low salt look for a recipe for Tuscan Bread for a machine . Water ,yeast, flour and butter can't get much simpler than that.

• Options
    """(Reuters) - The Federal Reserve on Wednesday upgraded its assessment of the U.S. economy, taking note of a decline in the jobless rate and signaling more comfort that inflation was moving up toward its target."""

Well thank god. I would hate to see a pound of salami drop below $10.00 a pound. image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downtown parking meter fees went up 20% this week in my fair city. Gambling revenue is down and we're spending 20% more every year than we take in in revenue.

A few extra dimes a week will help with the cause. I just dumped in 4 bits for what cost me 3 last week! Oh the humanity!

• Options

<< <i>A few extra dimes a week will help with the cause. I just dumped in 4 bits for what cost me 3 last week! Oh the humanity! >>

I think that your bits may be off. 2 bits is 25c. 3 bits would be 37.5c.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A few extra dimes a week will help with the cause. I just dumped in 4 bits for what cost me 3 last week! Oh the humanity! >>

I think that your bits may be off. 2 bits is 25c. 3 bits would be 37.5c. >>

I not be correcting...informing.
    ALT 0162=¢
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think that your bits may be off. 2 bits is 25c. 3 bits would be 37.5c. >>

Yeah, it was 50 cents this week for an hour. Last week would have been 40 cents so it's close. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Ha, we offer both sizes. 8 & 12. The 8 packs of the 8 are generally more than a sixer of the 12, but soda is constantly on sale so...

All of it is free in HQ though, ask my teeth how that worked out before I cut way back, ha!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fiancée's prescription for doxycycline used to be a $4.00 script at Walmart. The one she picked up yesterday was priced at over $400.00 before her insurance covered most of it. She, and most of the other nurses that she knows can verify that many antibiotics are being priced higher because of "shortages". WTF?

I filled a prescription for Advair the other day that was priced at $318.00. The last time I bought it, the price was $148.00.

These drugs have been out a long time and are already amortized in every conceivable way. The drug companies haven't spent any more money on R&D since these drugs have been available for years and years. Their marketing and distribution costs should be stable.

There are several issues here. Where are all of the antibiotics going in order to cause such a shortage? Apparently the government is "stockpiling". Next, why aren't the drug companies being held accountable for "price gouging" like the oil companies have been held accountable?

Just musing on a Thursday morning.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i> Next, why aren't the drug companies being held accountable for "price gouging" like the oil companies have been held accountable? >>

Because in the name of healthcare, enough is never enough.

Socialized medicine falls on the back of the middle class taxpayer and misses completely the supply side.

Either we are all in or we are not.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you take the nurse's word that there iu a shortage?

Why does medicine cost 10x more in the US than in Egypt? Is that inflation?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Why do you take the nurse's word that there iu a shortage?

Why does medicine cost 10x more in the US than in Egypt? Is that inflation? >>

Corporate greed.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

Here is some inflation I ran into today. Filled a cylinder of acetylene and almost fell over when they told me it was $56.49 . Thats up $11 over what I paid in June for the same size bottle.

• Options

<< <i>

Corporate greed. >>

It's because we will gladly pay it. If not, then we would all cancel our insurance.

• Options
    Why do you take the nurse's word that there iu a shortage?

Because she compares notes with the other nurses throughout the hospital, because when a doc prescribes a medication it's the nurses who have to procure it, whether the local pharmacies have it or not.

It's because we will gladly pay it. If not, then we would all cancel our insurance.

You don't explain how the price decided one fine day to absolutely skyrocket and stay there. You don't want to believe there's a shortage? It's all just happenstance and doesn't count as inflation? If you can't see it, you may well be the one who's denying reality.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My long distance charges are down. Not that I can make money with a phone, mind ya.
  • Options

<< <i>

Most likely a pyramid scheme.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Most likely a pyramid scheme. >>

You're in denial and all wet.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's not pharaoh from the truth

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Because she compares notes with the other nurses throughout the hospital, because when a doc prescribes a medication it's the nurses who have to procure it, whether the local pharmacies have it or not.

You don't explain how the price decided one fine day to absolutely skyrocket and stay there. You don't want to believe there's a shortage? It's all just happenstance and doesn't count as inflation? If you can't see it, you may well be the one who's denying reality. >>

So I find this report

Seems like old news.

It's all just happenstance and doesn't count as inflation?

If the pharma companies decided to boost production and the price fell 80%, would that be deflation?

I do see these price increases and I also see those increases as a result of an increasingly aging population, not of FED actions.

• Options
    If the pharma companies decided to boost production and the price fell 80%, would that be deflation?

Yes, it would. I'm talking about a 10,000% increase here, from a $4.00 script to a $400 script for the same medication.

I do see these price increases and I also see those increases as a result of an increasingly aging population, not of FED actions.

I don't think that the use of this antibiotic has any relationship to an aging population, or the Fed. I see it as price gouging by the pharmaceutical companies involved. The fact that insurance covers a chunk of the cost doesn't make it justifiable.

Your report is 18 months old, so there must be some other factor involved. The price increase is real, and normally I would expect a higher price to cause companies to start making more of it but apparently the shortage has become worse - not better.

I'm told that the government is hoarding the entire supply, but if I mention that on a chat board, I'd be labeled as an alarmist. Ignoring it doesn't make the huge price increase any more palatable however, especially if you don't have insurance.

At the very least, it's a good example of the government's presence in a market causing negative impact to consumers - the consumers that gov.com always asserts that they are helping.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Big pharma is first cousin to big bank.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Here's a good deal

Arby's 5 for $6.95 Roast Beef Classics

SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY

Lunch for a 5 day work week until you get sick of them.

5 for $6.95

Scroll down to bottom of page.
  • Options
    Text The fact that insurance covers a chunk 

Which is exactly why the price is higher...subsidies always result in higher prices. Blame congress, not the Fed. If the G wants inflation then it should raise the minimum wage.

• Options
    Just saw some friends who got Garth Brooks/Tricia Yearwood concert tix.....$120/ea for nosebleeds. Ouch
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Arby's 5 for $6.95 Roast Beef Classics

SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY

Lunch for a 5 day work week until you get sick of them."

Floor sweepin's...
  • Options

<< <i>Just saw some friends who got Garth Brooks/Tricia Yearwood concert tix.....$120/ea for nosebleeds. Ouch >>

Youch. At least it is a luxury purchase and not a necessity.
  • Options
    Gefilte fish was $12.00 a jar at my local Kroger subsidiary.

Never bought it and have no idea how much it cost a year ago or ten years ago, but $12,00 for a 24 ounce jar (about 1/3 water) is borderline criminal. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My fiancée's prescription for doxycycline used to be a $4.00 script at Walmart. The one she picked up yesterday was priced at over $400.00 before her insurance covered most of it. She, and most of the other nurses that she knows can verify that many antibiotics are being priced higher because of "shortages". WTF?

I filled a prescription for Advair the other day that was priced at $318.00. The last time I bought it, the price was $148.00.

These drugs have been out a long time and are already amortized in every conceivable way. The drug companies haven't spent any more money on R&D since these drugs have been available for years and years. Their marketing and distribution costs should be stable.

There are several issues here. Where are all of the antibiotics going in order to cause such a shortage? Apparently the government is "stockpiling". Next, why aren't the drug companies being held accountable for "price gouging" like the oil companies have been held accountable?

Just musing on a Thursday morning. >>

Packaging and trademarks often count for a lot. If you buy 20/5 Lotril it's probably priced in the $195-$350 price range for a 90 tab bottle ($800-$1400/yr) If you buy the two generic ingredients separately you can do it for around $225/yr. But a 100X increase can't be explained but one way....gouging. I used Advair up until 2009. Now I'm glad I'm off it. If these things don't get you with unintended side effects, the price will kill you.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Today the Billion dollar bill has replaced the Lincoln Cent.

For the last few decades, the cent was accumulated and not circulated as the diminishing value was hardly worth the effort. Mint has had to manufacture scores of billions of the coins just to facilitate commerce (though they should be eliminated).

In 2014, much of the free money being produced is being gobbled up by large industry and the elite 1% income earners.

To try to minimize the liquidity squeeze on the remaining 99%, the fed has to keep spewing out greenbacks so that we can buy our toilet paper at Wal-Mart and maybe splurge on a $5 Starbucks. Of course the cost of this is close to double digit inflation, but what the hell, we can always eat cake.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up one of my staples at Wallie World... the larger sized container of Folgers Columbian coffee.... and did a double take upon seeing it is now priced at 9.95.... last one I purchased was around 8.00.....

I'm sure the price increase is due to fair trade, or perhaps a bad coffee crop. Surely cannot be due to inflation...
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>Just picked up one of my staples at Wallie World... the larger sized container of Folgers Columbian coffee.... and did a double take upon seeing it is now priced at 9.95.... last one I purchased was around 8.00.....

I'm sure the price increase is due to fair trade, or perhaps a bad coffee crop. Surely cannot be due to inflation... >>

Breakfast is getting more expensive, drought in south america hurting the coffee crop, citrus greening hurting the orange crop, porcine virus hurting the pork belly supply.
    Olive oil is going to get more expensive soon, as Spain (which produces about half of the world's olive oil) is having a drought.

Offset by bumper crops in wheat, corn and soybeans from American farms this year, those things will get cheaper. So will the natural gas to heat it all up.

• Options

<< <i>Just picked up one of my staples at Wallie World... the larger sized container of Folgers Columbian coffee.... and did a double take upon seeing it is now priced at 9.95.... last one I purchased was around 8.00...... >>

Reports of ground coffee starting to contain more than coffee beans. Appears additives including mulch and dirt (but nothing detrimental to your health) are being added to cut costs. I'm gonna stick with grinding my own beans, that way I can add the amount of dirt I deem acceptable.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just picked up one of my staples at Wallie World... the larger sized container of Folgers Columbian coffee.... and did a double take upon seeing it is now priced at 9.95.... last one I purchased was around 8.00.....

I'm sure the price increase is due to fair trade, or perhaps a bad coffee crop. Surely cannot be due to inflation... >>

Breakfast is getting more expensive, drought in south america hurting the coffee crop, citrus greening hurting the orange crop, porcine virus hurting the pork belly supply.
    Olive oil is going to get more expensive soon, as Spain (which produces about half of the world's olive oil) is having a drought.

Offset by bumper crops in wheat, corn and soybeans from American farms this year, those things will get cheaper. So will the natural gas to heat it all up. >>

Answer is to sleep until noon and start the day with lunch!
  • Options
    Food prices would come down considerably if we all refrained from the extra 300 calories per day we intake. Thats 100 billion extra calories per day we consume in America.

Perhaps its easier to grasp the problem in these terms. 100 billion calories is the same as...

400 million McDonalds hamburgers,
    650 million cans of beer,
    600 million ounces of peanuts,
    6.25 billion teaspoons of sugar,
    1.3 billion eggs,
    425 million pork chops
    120 million pounds of sirloin steak.

• Options

<< <i>Food prices would come down considerably if we all refrained from the extra 300 calories per day we intake. Thats 100 billion extra calories per day we consume in America. >>

American farmers produce over 4000 calories per American, per day.
  • Options
    Stopped by an old hangout "in town," a place I seldom frequent these days, coffee and a couple of bagels was almost $7.00. I'm starting to sound like my Grandmother, "when I was a kid."
  • Options
    << Caught speeding today; I'm sure the fine per mile over the limit will be inflated from what I paid last time (> 10 years ago)
    Any guesses? The bill will show up in a week or two.. >>

Metalsman:
    Not inflation Baley... what inflation?... no, no Inflation here... that's Just you paying more for a higher demand product!

MY educated Guess... if 10-15 miles over about $12-$15 per MPH over... If in a school zone or work zone..... double that.... if the fine officer spilled his coffee and dropped his donut.... PRICELESS!

MGLICKER:
    In our town 11-15 miles over is $275. That would be my guess, unless you were really flying.

Cohodk
    Ponch or Jon?

85 in a 65, so 20 mph over, on the freeway, yes CHP and he was a "Jon" type, polite enough about it but no way was I getting off with a warning

$367, or $18.35 per mph, paid quick and easy on line, my last ticket a long long time ago (before the internet!) cost me a day in court and then traffic school, so a win in that respect (time is precious)

Averaged for all the speeding I've done in the past decade, ends up being a pretty good deal, and now I'll cool it on the throttle for another 11 months
    (yes, Baley can find the bright side of any situation)

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    keceph `anah
  • Options

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i><< Caught speeding today; I'm sure the fine per mile over the limit will be inflated from what I paid last time (> 10 years ago)
    Any guesses? The bill will show up in a week or two.. >>

Metalsman:
    Not inflation Baley... what inflation?... no, no Inflation here... that's Just you paying more for a higher demand product!

MY educated Guess... if 10-15 miles over about $12-$15 per MPH over... If in a school zone or work zone..... double that.... if the fine officer spilled his coffee and dropped his donut.... PRICELESS!

MGLICKER:
    In our town 11-15 miles over is $275. That would be my guess, unless you were really flying.

Cohodk
    Ponch or Jon?

85 in a 65, so 20 mph over, on the freeway, yes CHP and he was a "Jon" type, polite enough about it but no way was I getting off with a warning

$367, or $18.35 per mph, paid quick and easy on line, my last ticket a long long time ago (before the internet!) cost me a day in court and then traffic school, so a win in that respect (time is precious)

Averaged for all the speeding I've done in the past decade, ends up being a pretty good deal, and now I'll cool it on the throttle for another 11 months
    (yes, Baley can find the bright side of any situation) >>

Starting September 1st the COZI channel is going to have CHiPS on every weeknight. image
  • Options
    20 over in GA gets you a 'super speeder' fine along with the ticket as of the past year. These are separate in the system, so if you pay the ticket and don't pay the super speeder fine (which happens a lot as folks don't know) you get penalties compounded daily and your license suspended w/no notice.

My brother got one of these, didn't know he had the super speeder, and went to go get his license renewed for his b-day and they told him he was suspended and had an outstanding 2 grand fine adding up each day. The ticket was around new years, his b-day is first week of March. The super speeder fine would have been like $300-400 I think if paid on time.

The donuts in the GSP break room must be gourmet by now.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    my monthly family cell phone bill just reduced from $240 to $200 and now I can add another 6 lines at no cost. 20GB of shared data, unlimited talk text
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I forgot that my monthly mortgage is going down $54 due to lower taxes
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Sold 6 cows this past weekend for a crazy price.
    Bought 2.5 pounds of hamburger meat yesterday for a crazy price, $3.19/lb.
    Guess I should've kept one of the cows, butchered it myself, and put it in the freezer for steaks all year long. image

Gas continues to fall. $3.27/gal
    Milk dropped a little. $3.89/gal
    Pork butts are going up. 2.29-2.49/lb doubled since last year.
    Sausage is cheap. $1.29-1.49/lb
    Bacon is crazy. $5/lb
    Hot dogs are cheap cheap cheap.
    Pepsi's are cheap. $6/24pk
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.