Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #1

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not send it in. Looks 64+ to me.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia minted dimes for 1969 & 1970, with very few exceptions, are the worse coins to ever leave a US Mint.
    And that includes early coinage from colonial times. Yes, I can close my eyes now and see them working away in the dim light of the mint. Pounding out the coins with their big stone hammers. Tossing the finished coins onto the floor to be walked on for six weeks minimum. Thus ensuring the population that used them would never have need to resort to sunglasses to cut down the glare emanating from them.
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Philadelphia minted dimes for 1969 & 1970, with very few exceptions, are the worse coins to ever leave a US Mint.
    And that includes early coinage from colonial times. Yes, I can close my eyes now and see them working away in the dim light of the mint. Pounding out the coins with their big stone hammers. Tossing the finished coins onto the floor to be walked on for six weeks minimum. Thus ensuring the population that used them would never have need to resort to sunglasses to cut down the glare emanating from them. >>

You forgot that they voided on them from time to time too. image 1969, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976-1980, are possibly the worst dimes I have ever encountered from the clad era for mint set dimes and rolls if you can find the rolls. 1986, 1990-1991 $ 1995, are absolutely horrid and 2006-P, 2008-P are just dogs period. I went through 3 complete green boxes of 2006-P's and never found even a 7FB. Those last 2 years, those dimes just howl to the moon, they are such dogs.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not send it in. Looks 64+ to me. >>

I think it'll easily go 65 because of the atypical luster. I agree you can find a 64 with less marking.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

1/2 roll of GEM 46-P Roosers I purchased from a dealer at a small show cause they were just plain cool.
    paid $70 for 25 coins.
    What do you guys think?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck fire! Even if they were circulated that would be a deal. Are they UNC's?

I have a 1946-S 10C PCGS MS67FB up on ebay if anyone is interested...looking for trends value.

I will post the link in BST.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GEM as I noted for all to see! image

GEM

Bought a roll of 55-s as well from Jerry Haeuer is the dealer.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, maybe my photo sucked...grade just posted on this guy (by the way, less than 30 days on economy service)...

SCORE!!

29550901 5135 1969 10C USA MS66

I went from owning none cause I couldn't find any, to now I own 2 (the one I bought from a forum member, and this one I just made).
  • Options

<< <i>Well, maybe my photo sucked...grade just posted on this guy (by the way, less than 30 days on economy service)...

SCORE!!

29550901 5135 1969 10C USA MS66

I went from owning none cause I couldn't find any, to now I own 2 (the one I bought from a forum member, and this one I just made). >>

Well you had several seasoned Roosevelt Dime collectors/submitters here and all of them said that it would grade 64/65 at best. Either you received a really generous grade on a bad coin, a correct grade on a very decent coin, or your photo was whack. Needless to say...congrats o the grade.

The one I sent in I really thought it would pop at 65 at best on a beautiful sunny day, and it came back 66, so what do I know.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul, in hand the coin just screamed with luster. My photo did a bad job ... once the coin comes back from PCGS I'll re-image it, hopefully I will take some time to get it right.

Also, it was really hammered out, I guess is the best way I can put it. It does have a few ticks here/there, but nothing terribly distracting (one obvious tick being on the obverse, but it's well hidden in the hair).

Honestly, I was so shocked at the grade for about .5 seconds I thought I clicked on the wrong link or something.

I then took out the coin (MS66) I received yesterday from the forum member to examine it (I didn't have time yesterday), and to be 100% honest the one I sent in is nicer without question (both obverse and reverse). The one I have here in my hand has about 2x as many hits, and some in really prominent places, and the reverse on the one here is not even remotely close to the one I had sent it.

Looking at this 66 in my hand, there is no question that the one I sent in was a 66. I'll post side-by-side pics when I receive it. Kind of cool to own 2 of these now...
  • Options
    What you said about all of those ticks and getting a 66 is scary, very scary. I sent in a small handful of really super nice 1974 Roosevelts around the time that PCGS was really hard on Roosevelt Dimes. The best grade I received on some that were really cut well with blazing luster and absolutely no ticks at all was 66.

It is just amazing how each year is treated differently within the same series of coins. a 1969 MS66 is not the same as a 1981-D MS66 or a 2006 MS66.

They are Apples, Bananas, & Oranges. All are fruit, but all different colors and tastes.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    All I can say, is I would have lost BIG TIME on betting that coin would not get close to MS 66.
    Dan
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1969-P PCGS67 just went for 400+ at HA.
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭
    But it looked awful- Looked flat, hazy, and very unappealing! If that was my choice I would have passed... based on the HA photos.

JL
  • Options

<< <i>A 1969-P PCGS67 just went for 400+ at HA. >>

Also a 1965 PCGS MS67FB sold for $1,645 with the juice and a 1982-D PCGS MS67FB $1,410 with the juice.

Would like to have had both of those coins. I thought they were way over priced considering I paid a little over $500 combined for both the 1966 and 1967 PCGS MS67FB's.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Did you see the 1954S MS67FB hammered with the juice for $470.image A few years ago that was a $3000 coin. There were
    price extremes on the plus and negative side for several Roosies in that auction.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you see the 1954S MS67FB hammered with the juice for $470.image A few years ago that was a $3000 coin. There were
    price extremes on the plus and negative side for several Roosies in that auction. >>

Unfortunately Nick, I know the Clad Roosies 10x's more then I know the silvers, but I am learning. Through you and the stats you provide such as this one, I can learn some of them.

I really wanted that 1965 MS67FB badly, but just couldn't see spending that much money at that dime with what I now know. image I would rather try and make one myself, a very difficult task, but I believe is doable.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My recent submission gained me this 1954 MS66FB Secure+.

I picked it up at a show a couple of months ago because I liked the color.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Hopefully should get the grade back on my first submission tomorrow. 1980 D that I'm expecting to be at least a 65FB.
  • Options
    Grant that would be a great submission. The pop showing only two graded FB. One in 65FB and one in 66FB. image

I also noticed the new pop in the 1970 reverse of 68 Roosies.
    Dan
  • Options

The 80D 65FB would be a great score. I'm expecting the 80D FB pop to double over the next 30 days. Dan I noticed the pop
    for the 70P rev of 68 went from 1 to 4. Congrats on your score there with 2 top pops graded.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick. You say the 80-D pops will double in FB? I've looked at The 80-D's in rolls until I was cross-eyed, but am happy someone found A few more. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Seeing grades for coins received 3 days after mine. So hopefully mine shows up soon.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely want to hear about the 80D. image
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely want to hear about the 80D. image >>

Will do
  • Options
    Lets check back in 30 days to see what happened with the 80D FB pop. Right now it's 2.
  • Options
    So is it safe to say that there is now a "New beginning" to a interest in Roosevelt Dimes?

1980-D in FB's...never seen one, not even close.

1974 & 1978 are the 2 most difficult years, as there are still NO FB's in any grade for those 2 years.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>Seeing grades for coins received 3 days after mine. So hopefully mine shows up soon. >>

Wonder why mine wouldn't be up yet?
  • Options
    Ahhh. The waiting game. It always seems to take longer when it is your coins. I have some in now that has been waiting for grading since 4/9. I still check every day.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So is it safe to say that there is now a "New beginning" to a interest in Roosevelt Dimes?"

I agree. I was made aware of that months ago when "secret" buyers at auction paid super strong prices for numerous low pop clads. To this day, Nick tells me he has no idea who the 2 or 3 "secret" buyers were that ran up these clad dimes to world record auction levels.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>"So is it safe to say that there is now a "New beginning" to a interest in Roosevelt Dimes?"

I agree. I was made aware of that months ago when "secret" buyers at auction paid super strong prices for numerous low pop clads. To this day, Nick tells me he has no idea who the 2 or 3 "secret" buyers were that ran up these clad dimes to world record auction levels.

Wondercoin >>

Well I for one was really amazed at those 2 clads that recently sold in the last heritage auction that I mentioned in an earlier post. The 1965 and 1982-D PCGS M67FB's. I can say I have no clue either as to whom these buyers are, but they are willing to shell out the loot for their clads thats for sure.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Any of you guys going to the FUN show this year? I'm thinking about going for the first time and would love to meet some fellow Roosie collectors.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going winter FUN and the ANA in August. I'm a Complete Dime Collector....thus a Roosie collector. I have met Wondercoin, Onlyroosies, Stooge and a few others I can't think of right now. Would always like to meet new collectors.image
  • Options
    I'll be at winter FUN this year for sure. Mitch, I still have no idea where those clad dimes went. The only clad dime from a Heritage or any other
    auction that I know of it's whereabouts is the 1966 MS68FB. Same goes for the silvers that have been selling in the recent auctions. I'm not
    buying them nor am I affiliated with anyone buying them.

Nick
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys- Feel like teaching a class? Can you post a Rosie that is "Hammered" vs a soft struck one and then a clad vs a silver?

If you feel this is giving away a trade secret I understand... But I have a very nice set of Silver rosies and I could not grade them for the world... So I was hoping I could get tutored from the cognoscenti
  • Options
    Do you guys have any kind of method to putting together your sets?
  • Options
    You mean by date/mintmark, filling holes in an album or competing in the registry?

For my album sets, I use mint sets that I have cut up or bought singles somewhere. The latest stuff you can find rolls at banks or dealers.

For the registry stuff, you will just have to decide a budget, a realistic goal and start searching. If you can make a few of your own on the way, then that would be great, but it can be expensive tuition!
  • Options
    Sorry, should have said, registry. Thanks
  • Options
    Grant, A method to my madness is I have to have the best. or, be involved with the best. Have a hand in it. But there are many ways to build a registry set.
    All white, All toned, all 66FB or 67FB. I would stay away from any grade below MS66 and would only build an FB set. A very fun and challenging set would be
    a monster toned MS66FB or better set. But most of all have fun with it, but don't expect your set to appreciate in value without the aid of gradeflation.

I prefer the silvers over the clads

• Options

<< <i>Grant, A method to my madness is I have to have the best. or, be involved with the best. Have a hand in it. But there are many ways to build a registry set.
    All white, All toned, all 66FB or 67FB. I would stay away from any grade below MS66 and would only build an FB set. A very fun and challenging set would be
    a monster toned MS66FB or better set. But most of all have fun with it, but don't expect your set to appreciate in value without the aid of gradeflation.

I prefer the silvers over the clads

image >>

Thanks, I'm trying to build a 67FB set. That is a beautiful 47 by the way.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I hadn't checked this thread in a while and there are some great new posts. The best collectors are Rosie collectors. Let's see if EVERYONE can get to FUN in January. If so, we can all bring a few Rosie's for show and tell (and in Nick's case show off)! image

Nice 47s!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Here's one for you Bill

• Options
    Anyone know where I might pick up a 75D in 67FB?

Ignore the above, can't afford at the moment.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. I hadn't checked this thread in a while and there are some great new posts. The best collectors are Rosie collectors. Let's see if EVERYONE can get to FUN in January. If so, we can all bring a few Rosie's for show and tell (and in Nick's case show off)! image

Nice 47s! >>

Roosie collectors certainly are the BEST collectors! I had a great time in Orlando at the FUN show with Nick and the Gang. Dinner at Vitos was nothing short of simply AMAZING!!!

Nick was very extremely nice to me and showed off some jaw dropping Roosevelt dimes in some insane grades and colors.

I might have to go in January. If the Illinois winter is as bad next year as it was this last winter I may just move down there. When I was in Orlando it was 75 degrees all week. Really nice when its -15 in Rockford. image

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    None of you guys attend the summer FUN show?
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    GrantPage, sorry I had 1975-d 67fb for sale a month or more ago...maybe next time.
  • Options
    Honestly, FUN is hot in July. Golf becomes problematic. The January show has always been a Rosie stronghold.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Do any of you guys collect proofs? I have a some raws I'm looking to unload.
  • Options
    If they are cameos or have exceptional toning, they might not be difficult to unload. Otherwise, Im not too sure about the market.
  • Options
    If they have stoooopid color PM me.