Comments

• Options

<< <i>If they have stoooopid color PM me. >>

Unfortunately no toners
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That 47-S is very angelic!

Very nice!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Got the grade back on the 1980 D. Didn't get the FB but was a 66.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Grant,
    I was counting on you getting an FB in my prediction of the 80D FB pops.
  • Options
    I really thought I would
  • Options
    Do any of you guys do NGC, or strictly PCGS? I've heard NGC is more strict with the FT than PCGS with FB.
  • Options
    Never limit yourself to just one holder. I have dimes in both NGC and PCGS holders. There was a time NGC was tougher on the bands. I think each is pretty equal today.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, Nick is correct. There are truly great Roosies in PCGS and NGC holders.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Id agree with the guys who have more experience than I do. Check out that Rainbowroosie set ATS!!! Simply amazing!!! Hard to pick a favorite. You can find mine by clicking on the banner...its not too bad either, but I need better photos to show it off!
  • Options
    Would any of you guys be interested in a lightly used Dansco Roosevelt album?
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrantPage,

You seem very eager to learn much on the Roosevelt series and that is wonderful to see, as it is always fantastic to have new collectors in the series. I took a 5+ year hiatis from any type of collecting after I left Roosies. So with that said, I would do 2 things while your here if I was you.

1) Listen and read very closely what Wondercoin, OnlyRoosies, RainbowRoosies, Date-n-type, & sometimes even Myself say and post. I see some of these Gentlemen as the "Board of Directors" so to speak when it comes to the Roosevelt Dime series. Now, do we know everything, of course not. But they have amassed some of the finest world class Roosevelt dime sets to be ever assembled, and have decades of knowledge.

2) Do a search on this forum with the key word(s) Roosevelt or Roosie and read old threads from years gone by and learn about the series and as you read, remember #1.

There are a few other collectors to look out for such as Dimeman, Dan50, Colorfulcoins, MistercoinMan, etc.... I'm sure I left out a few Guys from the past that had a very influential part in my collecting. I certainly learn a lot from these forums and still do to this day.

I owe quite a bit to the Guys I mentioned above, quite a bit indeed.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>GrantPage,

You seem very eager to learn much on the Roosevelt series and that is wonderful to see, as it is always fantastic to have new collectors in the series. I took a 5+ year hiatis from any type of collecting after I left Roosies. So with that said, I would do 2 things while your here if I was you.

1) Listen and read very closely what Wondercoin, OnlyRoosies, RainbowRoosies, Datye-n-type, & sometimes even Myself say and post. I see some of these Gentlemen as the "Board of Directors" so to speak when it comes to the Roosevelt Dime series. Now, do we know everything, of course not. But they have amassed some of the finest world class Roosevelt dime sets to be ever assembled, and have decades of knowledge.

2) Do a search on this forum with the key word(s) Roosevelt or Roosie and read old threads from years gone by and learn about the series and as you read, remember #1.

There are a few other collectors to look out for such as Dimeman, Dan50, Colorfulcoins, MistercoinMan, etc.... I'm sure I left out a few Guys from the past that had a very influential part in my collecting. I certainly learn a lot from these forums and still do to this day.

I owe quite a bit to the Guys I mentioned above, quite a bit indeed.

Paul. >>

Thanks will do, already learned a lot
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed my free sub's will expire soon. Need to get busy on this I guess.
    Think I'll try something different this time.
    Dan
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I turned the 1969-P into a guess the grade thread on the US coin forum...check it out, let us know your thoughts.

1969-p thread
  • Options
    That was a great thread on the dime. I wish I could take photos that good!
  • Options
    Jason there are many members here capable of great coin pictures. That said, I'm sorry to say I'm not one of them. However many of our members will be willing to help instruct you as how to take better pictures. Find some pictures that a member has taken, then using messages ask for their help. I'm sure you will find someone that can lend you some advice.
    Dan
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I've had different answers to this question so I thought I'd ask here, are there key dates to a roosevelt set?
  • Options
    Key dates: none up to MS 67. With really nice color and 67 plus surfaces 59-63 in general, 53p, 55d, 56d...the single toughest with great color is a 61p...if you get one I'm a buyer. I'll let Onlyroosies and Wondercoin comment on FB coins, but my 49p in 68star FT is likely the best of that date by far.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

There are no key dates in the silver Roosevelt series. If you are trying to build an FB set then you will find some difficulty with a
    few dates above MS67. I have seen just about every date (silvers) available in MS67FB or higher over the last 12 months. I could
    put together a silver set MS67FB or better in about 6 months. It just comes down to funds available. The clads will take a life time.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The clads will take a life time."

Or, 6-12 months of gradeflation somewhere along the line image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I have found that PROPERLY GRADED MS67FB specimens of the following dates are truly elusive:

1953-P
    1955-P
    1958-P
    1961-P
    1963-P

And, let's give honorable mention to 1955-S, 1957-P and 1963-D as well.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I have had numerous opportunities to buy a 1963-D dime in MS67FB this year. But, no coin met my standard for the grade and so that coin is not in my #2 (really #3 whenever Nick takes back over the #1 slot with his newest masterpiece of a collection) "Fun" set currently registered. Hence, it is really not all that relevant whether a (plastic) set could be built in 6 months or 12 months as Nick correctly states. The only relevant question (to me at least) is about how long it might take to build a truly high quality MS67FB and better set. On that question, I would say about 2-5 years. To get to RainbowRoosies level of quality ... about 20 years, give or take if you start today. But, of course, one could get there much, much faster if they simply waived around their checkbook and were prepared to pay big multiples for great coins. You might even get RR's attention.

Just my two cents.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I think I'm slowly starting to learn what to look for when grading Roosevelt's, but would love some tips from you guys.
  • Options
    Told you Onlyroosies and Wondercoin know bands!! Seriously, they grade Roosies BETTER than any TPG. image
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Mitch and gang, nice Roosie talk....

I've got 7 pop 1 Roosies in my Registry Sets (including a 55P and 55S you mentioned, Mithch) and, darn it, Mitch, I don't want you going down the street from where you live to PCGS and submitting over and over trying to upgrade at the "right" time because you will only lower the value of my coins (some call it an investent) when you score an upgrade!!!

Remember AllCoinsRule's thread.image

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    RR. Congrats on the Seven pop 1's!! I will not be doing much roosie submitting for the next year so you Won't get much trouble from me. I have a number of projects that I need to address this year. So, in the meantime I will expect you to challenge current number 1 for the top slot! Wondercoin.
  • Options
    ""Nick takes back over the #1 slot with his newest masterpiece of a collection""

I have no idea what you are talking about. I found that set way down at #45. must have been some coins submitted and the new serial numbers
    not recorded yet. At least that's my guess. Isn't that what happens with your quarter set Mitch... Everything Mitch stated above about quality and
    key date FB silvers is right on. One area to really focus on is strike. If the strike is there the coin really pops. The only thing that will over shadow
    a less than strong strike is monster toning. Put those two together and that's how MS68FB's are created.

A little bit on value. This is strictly to the eye of the beholder. I like a fresh new coin with no recorded history. Here's an example. there have been
    3 new MS68FB Silver Roosies made over the last month or so. a 1946P, 1946D and a 1947S. I did not slab any of these nor do I know who owns them.
    I do know the history of the 46P and 46D since I once owned both those coins or have worked with a collector who once owned them when they were
    in lower graded holders. I doubt I would be interested in either of them at this time. But then this 1947S MS68FB shows up in coin facts. I've never
    seen this coin before. I can't find a history on it. It's gorgeous, I love it. I'd pay $6000 for it today sight seen if it were offered to me. Anyone know
    who made it? PM them and have them PM me. I'm a buyer. The only down side, it's pictured in coin facts. I add value to a coin that cannot be traced
    anywhere.

If you think my little quirkiness is weird sit down with Rainbowroosie and listen to him for a while.

As always, just my 10c worth.
    Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Nick. I believe the nicest 47-S is the unsold coin from the JHF Superior sale (on the cover). As I recall, we passed on a serious offer of $4,500 for the coin in the MS67FB holder when an MS67FB was worth a few hundred dollars at the time. It will see PCGS for the first time since that landmark Superior auction very soon.

Regarding the clads... Nick you recall what happens when the standards relax a little bit as they did when that small group of pop 1/0s was slabbed many years ago that you essentially tossed in when I bought your clad dime set for JHF many years ago. History has a way of repeating itself.

Just my two cents.

Wondercoin
  • Options

Yes, I agree that this coin should be a lock MS68FB and a shot at MS68+FB. But it's not there yet... I also remember JHF having another one
    almost identical that could also grade MS68FB. Today the 1947S MS68FB is a pop 4 coin. In my mind it's a pop 6. I'd still pay $6K right now
    for the new one that was made. Can't guarantee I'd pay that going forward.

I truly believe a silver Roosie MS68+FB will be made this year.

• Options
    Do you guys do a lot of roll hunting? If so where do you get your rolls? Banks?
  • Options
    Not rolls, Mint sets. My favorite hunting grounds are NGC holders.
  • Options

<< <i>Not rolls, Mint sets. My favorite hunting grounds are NGC holders. >>

I wonder if I have any that might upgrade?? I'm a bit too chicken to crack them out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not rolls, Mint sets. My favorite hunting grounds are NGC holders. >>

I wonder if I have any that might upgrade?? I'm a bit too chicken to crack them out. >>

That's why I'm wary of buying NGC
  • Options
    Buy the coin, not the holder. FACT... All the recent top pop clads that we're made over the last 12 Months were cross overs from NGC holders, NOT from gradeflation. These were superior coins made by mark at datentype.

Have to go. I'll reply more later
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    What is actually required for FB designation?

I've had dimes with obvious complete split bands (top & bottom sets) come back without the Full Bands designation.
  • Options
    The upper and lower bands are supposed to be split all the way across without any tags of metal in the way and no contact marks that span the bands. There also needs to be some definition of the vertical torch slats. Check out a proof dime for a good example as they are almost always complete. If you have some in holders without the designation, the you might have some that need upgrading cause it wasn't that long ago that the designation was added to TPG holders. You can still find dimes that are FB/FT but not listed on the holders although they are getting tougher to find.
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the other JHF 1947S. I believe this coin and the one I listed above will be in PCGS MS68FB holders by the end of the year,
    and deserving so.

Here is a pic of the 1947S MS68FB that was just made a week or so ago. My offer of $6K stands until Tomorrow. This will be IMHO a pop 6 coin
    by the end of the year and worth IMHO around $4500.

• Options
    Nick. Great library of pics. Do you agree that one of the JHF coins is the nicest 47-S out there? Wondercoin
  • Options
    ""Nick. Great library of pics. Do you agree that one of the JHF coins is the nicest 47-S out there? Wondercoin ""

Yes, I would agree to that statement. I believe the first one I posted is the best of the 2. It would not surprise me if that coin
    ended up in a PCGS MS68+FB holder.
  • Options
    Nick,

I have to ask, why do you think that the 2nd JHF 47S that you posted will make it to MS68FB? I still have my copy of the JHF auction catalog and there appear to be lots of dings on the reverse. The first one appears to have much cleaner surfaces. I've not seen it in hand, I bet its spectacular. I do own one of the old blue 47S's from Craig's set and it is by far my most favorite dime and possibly favorite coin I own, so I can imagine what these guys look like in hand.

• Options
    Jason, I think the strike and color trump the few little tics on the reverse. Craig had 3 of these spectacular Blue 1947S Roosies.
    Here is a pic of the 3rd one. It now resides in a PCGS MS68FB holder.

• Options
    I got mine from him as well. Maybe NGC needs another look at it. It resides in a MS67*FT holder currently.
  • Options
    They probably do. Craig had a few others. You must have one of them. The NGC 1947S MS68*FT that is in Paul's set was
    from Craig's small hoard. all of these were once in PC MS67FB holders. I think Craig had 6-7 of these blue toned 1947S dimes.
    I can recall another that now resides in an NGC 68FT holder.
  • Options

Jason,

Here is one of the other 47S dimes from Craig's Hoard that eventually upgraded at NGC.

• Options
    When purchasing NGC stuff, how successful is the crossover rate to PCGS?
  • Options
    Grant, you have to learn how to grade. If you're just going to buy NGC stuff you will be lucky if 5% crossed. You also have to understand
    what each grading service is looking for in a grade. PCGS rewards strike and luster. NGC likes color and mark free surfaces. Regardless of
    the holder you have to be able to grade the coin or work with a capable dealer to help you. if you want to try the upgrade, crack-out and
    re-grade game you going to have to pay your dues. The learning curve can be quite expensive. A dealer once offered me $1000 for what
    I thought was a common coin I just paid $200 for. I thought he was crazy only to find out a month later the coin upgraded by 2 full points.
    He knew exactly what he was looking at regardless of the holder it was in or the grade on the holder. I ended up buying the coin back for
    $7000 and at the time it was worth all of that. This was my start of many lessons learned. buy the coin, not the holder.

Still and always: Onlyroosies
  • Options
    WOW I love all the Roosie pictures & stories that go with them. Where else but a Roosevelt dime thread can you see stuff this entertaining?

imageimageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I have a few clad Roosies if anyone is interested? Nothing epic but still quite tough all dates pcgs ms 66FB :

1979-d, 1977-d, 1972-d and 1971-d

• Options
    If I wanted to add some toners to my collection, where is the best place online to find them?