Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #1

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

There is no pic of the 83 no-S 70DCAM in coinfacts. I don't believe it was created by polishing off the S mint mark. I believe they
    forgot to punch the mint mark into the die.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone from PCGS reads this thread, I think someone is asleep at the wheel while looking at the #1 Roosevelt set that is sitting in most or all of the FB sets. This set should have been listed this year as a "HALL of FAME" set, and I highly doubt given another 50 years if anyone could even come close to duplicating it, let alone passing it.

But, I am from the Chicago area, and like the Chicago Cubs, the story goes like this.....Wait until next year!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul. Can I chime in that my mint state 1965-1998 Clad Quarter set also did not receive a modern Hall of Fame award yet again. Last I looked, there were just two mint state clad quarters in the world in PCGS holders that could improve my collection and I passed on one of them in a recent auction as I liked my half point undergrade coin better. As you said, there is always next year. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Thanks Paul for the very kind comments about the clad set. Mitch's Clad quarters deserve HOF status more than my clad dimes, but neither set gets the respect deserved. Oh well, maybe some year down the road. Probably many years when our kids own the sets and Clad coins will be those strange coins they used to make with the different colored metal in the middle!!image
  • Options
    Wondercoin,

Anyone who assembles a Quarter set of such caliber as the one you have, let alone any other set of that level can bust in on my thread any ol' time, plus I think you've earned it with as much knowledge that you donated to the Roosie community over the years.

DCGolfer,

Longtime my friend! You have put together a clad set that gives me nightmares when I sleep, because I just can't believe it is real. Some of those grades are just sick. Although, I have done some research and after learning a few things since I was gone for 5 years, I believe that anything now is possible and I believe that it is possible to have even a better set then the one listed, at least from 1984-date. Earlier is a different animal I believe, but again with luck, searching, patience, time and a lot of time, it is very possible.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul. Don't forget the spoonful of gradeflation... that can always help the recipe. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Dcgolfer. Thank you for the comment, but there is plenty of room in the HOF modern club for you too!!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    onlyroosies: I am writing because you left me a message about filling some of my spaces. I am looking for the variety's and FB coins. If you can help me send me a list so we can get together. I am also a die hard roosie fan and will keep them forever. I think they are great but CAC doesn't like them. Look at my web site 1946fs504 or 1970fs801 and let me know what you have.

Thanks much,
    winky
  • Options
    Winky, turn on your PM function
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Set Registry Forum winky. image
    Dan
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something big just happened!!! Stay tuned, I hope he'll announce it soon...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    I'm not sure who "HE" is, but if I had to guess since it is in this Roosevelt Dime thread, it would have to be either:

1) Someone popped an MS68+FB Silver, or
    2) Someone popped an MS69FB Silver. or

3) LabLover just bought his first of many 2014 Proof Dual-Dated Gold Kennedy Half Dollars and your so happy you can hardly contain yourself!?!? imageimage

I'm betting on #3.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Remenber this coin I posted a page or 2 ago. I Ended up buying it. The pic doesn't do it justice. Its a true
    Moose in all respect. A month or 2 ago I said the blue JHF 47S was the nicest on the planet. Then I received
    this one. When I held it in hand my jaw dropped. I didn't care how many MS68FB's were going to eventually
    be made for this date. I knew I had a special coin. PCGS agreed with me and it now resides in an MS68+FB holder.

The "Almighty Dimes" set was just updated with several new special additions. You can view the Silver Set Here
  • Options
    Nick,

image Your set continually amazes me. image Congrats on grading the very first PCGS MS68+FB Silver Roosevelt Dime.

Have a 6 pack on me! imageimageimageimageimageimage

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Super nice coin Nick. image
    Dan
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Not bad, but I'd like the same toning on the reverse. Hard to call it rainbow toned when one side is lacking.... image

Seriously, the Cascio Roosie train continues to roll over all competitors!

imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    There are times when one stands in amazement watching the big dog hunt...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Nick
    Now where is the extra 10% you told me I would get if the coin upgraded?image
  • Options
    Dick,

That's not an upgrade. the plus just says it's high end for the grade. An upgrade would have been a
    bump to MS69FB. Maybe next time.

I think the 61P Billy got from you is a 68FB hiding in that under graded holder.

Nick
  • Options
    I hope so for his sake. All in all that set contained some of the prettiest Roosies I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Nick. Congratulations my friend on the super upgrade. I've been all over the planet these past 30 days so I have not even opened up your last email. I assume it was about this great coin. The barrier has been broken!

Wondercoin

PS... I think you owe Dick 10%. image
  • Options

<< <i>All in all that set contained some of the prettiest Roosies I have ever seen. >>

Ok, where are the rest of the sets coins? Are there any scraps for us little people...image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that 68+ is a real stunner. Grats on that one.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    What the pic doesn't show is the reverse is a bit more rim toned and the luster is dripping off the coin.
    I just got it back today and I shack my head every time I look at it.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dick,

That's not an upgrade. the plus just says it's high end for the grade. An upgrade would have been a
    bump to MS69FB. Maybe next time.

Nick >>

The plus does a little more than just say it's high end for the grade. Based on the PCGS price guide the value is increased from $6850 to $12,000.

I think I'd call that an upgrade.

I realize it's only a guide, but..............
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many days that I wish I was still in the Roosie Dime race, and this is one of them. There are so many beautiful coins on this thread that exemplify what true collectors can find. Dazzling white gems and mesmerizing colored coins. I got out of the race in 2004, but I still continue to collect them, just off the record ::

Thanks guys for keeping this series in the forefront.
    Doug
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Roosie Nick.

I just sent in a bunch of Roosie varieties.......no 68's I'm sure....but hopefuly hole fillers!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>There are many days that I wish I was still in the Roosie Dime race, and this is one of them. There are so many beautiful coins on this thread that exemplify what true collectors can find. Dazzling white gems and mesmerizing colored coins. I got out of the race in 2004, but I still continue to collect them, just off the record ::

Thanks guys for keeping this series in the forefront. >>

Doug, If I remember correctly, your "White Fang" set of Roosevelts were quite the set, laced with MS68's and other low pop specimens. Very happy to hear that you are still picking up a few nice ones here and there. They are addictive that is for sure and that is exactly why I came back.

I finally made it to the PCGS booth at the A.N.A. and dropped off my 8 free grades. All Roosies. I also picked up quite a few raw dimes that I think are quite remarkable, including a very high grade 1994-D FB that should go 7FB/8FB.

Did anyone else have any Dime scores or luck at the A.N.A.?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Roosevelt that used to reside in my 7070 is at GreatCollections (along with 20-something variety attributed coins) to be put up for auction anyday now.

With eight reportedly higher through PCGS, hopefully he will find a new home.

While not a toner, he is a blast white MS67FB; image

1947-S Roosevelt PCGS MS67FB
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Hi Doug,

It's never to late to get back in the game again. I have quite a few nice under-grades that need a home and I always sell
    at a loss. Tell you what.. For you only. I bought This Coin in a heritage auction a few months ago. I don't need it now. I paid $1500 for it.
    That was to much. I'd sell it to you for $700.

Nick
  • Options
    BTW he does proofs, too. The newest "Filler" in Rainbow Roosies set. Anyone care to guess the grade?

• Options

<< <i>he does proofs, too. >>

Does? Cooking?
  • Options
    Damn Jim,
    That is harsh!!!!! Now you have to play guess the grade. Here's a hint, it ends with a star. image

This is in a class with the 61 you sold me.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Jim
    Does this picture make a difference?

• Options
    I'm going to say PF68*
  • Options
    Nick. Both of those 1947-S "Blue" dimes from the JHF Superior sale are now in PCGS-MS68FB holders. Just wanted to let you know. Wondercoin.
  • Options
    I always said those were 68FB quality dimes. When figuring the pops I always added 2 to the 68FB grade
    knowing that someday those 2 would be there. It's a good thing I got the plus on mine to help preserve
    my value. I figured that too though. The only reason I bought the one I did was because I was expecting
    it to plus or I would have waited for one of yours.

Congrats on the 2 upgrades
    Nick
  • Options

<< <i>I would have waited for one of yours >>

You two should get a room. Always out-doing one or another...imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>This is in a class with the 61 you sold me. >>

Billy,

Few, if any, are in the class of the 61! Who's yo daddy?
  • Options
    Everyone should bring some Roosie eye candy to FUN. You guys haven't seen a few I've stashed recently.image

I'd like to see the 47s side by side.image
  • Options
    Jim,
    The 61 p is COOL, but you know that...image
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a 69-P Rossie in an NGC 66 holder for dirt cheap ($25)...been meaning to post but then had to leave for a business trip (will post pics over Labor Day weekend).

Net-net, I swear this thing has FB...and no imagination is needed. I will crack it out and send to PCGS raw so they don't have to view it through plastic. It looks 66 as well, but I am more interested in getting an FB designation...so I'll keep you guys posted.

I might even send it in using the more expensive/faster service so I don't have to wait forever in suspense image

Pics to come next weekend...
  • Options
    I'd like to see the pictures of the 69-P when you can post it. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I'm just bumping this because I like to see a Roosie string on top.image
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a 69-P Rossie in an NGC 66 holder for dirt cheap ($25)...I swear this thing has FB...and no imagination is needed >>

Did you look at the flame on the reverse while drooling over your bands to see if it had a REV-68? imageimage

Nice score!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver Roosies are sweet, but clads are great too image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice '73-D!!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

COIN INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 30473689
    PCGS Coin #: 85144
    Date, mintmark: 1973-D
    Denomination: 10C
    Grade: MS66+FB
    Mintage: 455,032,426
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value: $120
    Holder Type: Standard
    Population: 1
    View this coin in PCGS CoinFacts

Auction Appearances of This Coin

None known

Very nice coin indeed!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Jim,
    Post some photos from your star set. I'm having Roosie withdrawal symptoms.image
  • Options
    Post #300!!!

When I started this thread, I was hoping to have a few collectors come around and talk Roosies, but I never thought it would ever get to 300 posts. This really has turned out to be a great thread with tons of info, pictures, and great Roosie topics, not to mention Nick's insane #1 Roosie set. image

My hope is that we reach another 300 and keep it going...

Paul.

P.S. I have been chewing at the bit waiting for my 8 free grades to pop (All Roosies). It is my first coin sub in 5 and a half years! image

Later, Paul.