Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #1

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, Your right. That was January 2013 with you and Lauren. That was my last time at Vito's. Capital Grill built a
    seafood tower for us the next day and we all said no more Vito's from that time forward. I'll be at FUN this year

Nick
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Paul are you ordering any of the Kennedy 4 coin set's?
    Dan
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Dan50 I got a reply from you 7 hours ago but can't find it, can you send it again? Winky
  • Options
    Winky I think you must have me mixed up with someone else. I don't recall any contacts with you. And checking back through my message history, there's no sign of contact there. Can you send a message telling what this is about?
    Dan
  • Options
    I guess I am dumb as I thought it was on. What do I need to do to turn it on?????
  • Options
    It was about Roosie talk and actually it went to my email address from web master. If you like to look, one of my PCGS registry sets is 1970 fs 801 and can be pulled up on the web. I am just a Roosie nut like all the other Roosie nuts losing money by the minuet but still collecting. Thanks
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paul are you ordering any of the Kennedy 4 coin set's? >>

Dan, I am not ordering anything from the mint as of this time. Not sure if I'm going to get involved in that. Still purchasing Roosevelt Dimes. Very few at this time as I am very choosy, selective, and not wanting to waste money. I would have bought the Dime that was pedigreed by Nick that was up for sale on eBay, but I don't like a Roosie with solid toning on just 1 side only.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off topic for Roosies, but if anyone not intending to buy the (5) Kennedy sets can order them for me, I will pay $575 delivered upon receipt for what costs slightly over $500 cost from the Mint. And, you also get 500 flight miles on your credit card! Send me a PM if you are interested in doing that for me. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a small lot (5) of 1969-P NGC graded Roosies for $54 (total for the lot, dirt cheap). Don't recall all their grades but some looked good (PCGS 66 material). Sent in economy/modern so it took a while to grade but grades just posted...got 2 PCGS 66's out of the deal. Hoot hoot image

I have 2 other PCGS 66's so now I have 4 of them total, and as you/I darn well know some are nicer than others and 2 have a shot at FB.

I'll wait to get these little guys back from PCGS and then will send in all 4 PCGS 66's together in a regrade submission to see if I can make one 67 or get one of the 66's to go FB ...taking a page from Wondercoin's book about setting up coins in submissions image

Anyhow, very happy to have made 2 66's in any event.

• Options
    check those 69P's for an FS-901 reverse of 68.
  • Options
    winky I did check out your two sets

The 1970 FS801 PCGS EF 45 pop 1/0
    The 1959 D/D FS 504 PCGS MS 66FB pop 1/0
    The 2004-D Dbl Ear FS-101

Keep up the good work, and good luck with tracking down the ones you still need.
    Dan
  • Options
    mercurydimeguy That sounds like quite a find.
    And like Nick said, be sure to check the rev for the rev of 68 variety. That would be super if one came in as FB, variety or not.
    I know of only one 1969-P Rev of 68 in 66FB, but it's not in the variety holder.

Wishing you luck with your submissions.
    Dan
  • Options
    Yes I love the 3 coins you listened. I also have a 46S FS504 and 53 FS501 65FB and those are hard to find and never cheap.
    Anyway if you find something I need keep me posted. Thanks for your time. By the way Winky is my wife's nickname and mine is Pinky. How crazy is that, but true.
    What is the name of your dime collection on the registry so I can look at it?

Ken
  • Options
    Here are all 4 together...and I have 5 other 65's...might send in all 9 for giggles.

Anyone you like best (took some on-the-quick unedited pics tonight)? I certainly have my favorite (came from the last batch below)...

• Options
    Not sure if it is the lighting, but I like #4 the best.

<< <i>Anyone you like best?

image >>

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if it is the lighting, but I like #4 the best. >>

Literally identical lighting, just moved from coin to coin, to take a few quick snaps.

Coin 4 is different, it's really struck well. You can tell by the lettering, the rims, the surface, it was probably an earlier strike coin before some of the die fatigue started setting in.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is going to FUN?
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    I'm with you but I only want extremely rare Roosies that no one else has like the 1967 FS101 DDO. Does anybody have one they don't need??
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is going to FUN? >>

Trying to make the show, but may be in Ft Walton working on the house...will let you know...would hate to miss dinner with the Rossie Guy's!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    I'll be at FUN
  • Options
    Anyone with some good Roosie news, or some newp(s)???

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I have some Roosie news. My son Justin and I met with Nick for more than an hour and a half today (on a unrelated deal involving some "modern crap") and discussed the state of the Roosie Dime market. Just a fascinating discussion - I wsh we had tape recorded it to play to all collectors (and I would love to hear it again). The bottom line...

My take on the conversation (and I am certainly not speaking for Nick here). The high end Roosie set building market, from a collector standpoint, has all but dried up these days - there are very few high end collectors remaining who are seriously working on a world class Roosie registry set (unless they are hiding in the shadows). Frankly, I believe there are likely one or two such collectors secretly building world class sets (but can not be 100% certain as they would be doing it in "secret"), but certainly not as aggressively as others have done in the past (assuming they are out there). A few finest known (PCGS-MS68FB) silver dimes that appeared at auction in the recent past performed somewhat poorly and it would be a welcome surprise if an upcoming auction showed a different result for a mostly NGC collection. To collectors like Nick (or even me for that matter with respect to my Washington quarters right now), it is a buyers' market - we don't have to buy almost anything these days and are not facing a huge risk of getting dethroned in our #1 positions for some time to come. Hence, Nick can "name his price" for dimes he needs and I can buy only coins that are very, very fairly priced (e.g. the weight 6 pop 1/0 1935-D MS67+ quarter I recently bought at auction for a mere $6,000 hammer). Just yesterday, I was offered a pop 1/0 silver Washington quarter from the 1960's freshly made for "$25,000". Honestly, I would have a hard time paying more than what I paid for the 35-D quarter in the same grade as the 35-D is a much better (and sexier) coin in my humble opinion. So, the dealer wants $25,000 and I am a buyer for less than half that price - maybe even closer to a quarter of the price!! Do I care if someone pays him $15,000 or more for a coin with 1/3 of the weight as the 35-D I just bought for $6,000 hammer? Who would prefer a pop 1/0 quarter from the 1960's over a pop 1/0 quarter from 1935-D in the exact same grade for goodness same? Nick faces the same issues every day and has no reason to "pay up" for anything. Why should he?

In fact, when the complacency sets in that I am describing, it is not uncommon for a top registry collector to simply "cash out" to the new guy in town who wants to "pay up strong" for the coins. While I have little or no interest in selling my quarter set in the next couple years (at this very moment as I write this) - I wouldn't be surprised if either Nick or myself did not own our set at some point in the next 24 months.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff Mitch. Ill be curious if Nick comments.

Ill also be curious to see how one of the top NGC guys fares at auction as his set is currently up at Heritage. I think there is just about a week to go on his auctions, but bidding definitely mirrors what you are saying. I have thought about putting together another set, even making a few upgrades, but I realized I like my dimes just fine.
  • Options
    I have looked closely at the high-end set on Heritage and they are very nice. I also have noticed that TNFC has 3 MS68FB silver Roosies that he has had for sale now going on several weeks on eBay at exuberant prices. Never seen 3 such dimes languishing for sale for so long before. Certainly the tide has changed and the rivers are drying up.

I've stopped buying Roosies because after careful consideration, I feel the bottom hasn't been touched yet. Doesn't mean I won't pick up a choice specimen, but price wise, I'm just not tossing my money to the wind.

IMHO, Nick's set (clad) side still has room to grow. I would hate to see him abandon it beforehand, ie: Redesign, 100% completed w/varieties.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Mitch and Justin treated me to lunch the other day. Yes the topic of Roosies came up. I was a little surprised that Mitch and I were on the same page in regards to our sets. Why do we
    need to buy anything when nobody else is stepping up to the plate. We both are more than capable of cherry picking the market and getting the grades our coins deserve. e.g. recently a complete raw
    Roosie set when through PCGS. I cherry picked 3 coins and paid a very fair price for them. the 47S 68FB, 54S 67FB and 63D 67FB. Since then all 3 have received the plus added to the grade. I also
    recently crossed the NGC 1953P MS68*FT to PCGS MS68FB. I paid a very fair price for the coin in the NGC holder feeling very comfortable that coin would eventually cross. So when I see
    a PCGS MS68FB pop 1/0 silver Roosie sell on Heritage (un-reserved) for $3500 with juice and weeks later another MS68FB pop 3/0 again sell for $3500 with juice why should I pay more.

Mitch and I differ on in one area. He thinks there might be a secret collector or 2 building world class sets. I don't think there is anyone out there secretly putting together even a top tier set.
    why would they have passed on the last couple silver MS68FB Roosies that hit Heritage at $3500. It's not because they already had the date. 1 was a pop 1/0 and the other a pop 3/0 and I
    knew where the other 2 were. There's currently 3 very nice MS68FB silver Roosies on eBay right now. As Stooge said they have been sitting there for quite awhile. I'm in the camp with Mitch
    on these. I could use 2 of them and I do like the coins. But no way could I bring myself to pay over what the Heritage dimes brought. I doubt I would even be that high. Mitch paid $6000
    for a quarter when the Price guide was $14000. I recently bought a Silver Roosie for $3500 when the price guide was $8700. We have it right. what is everyone else missing here.

As far as my set goes. It's not being offered for sale and as far as I know Mitch's quarter set is not offered for sale. But if someone offered Mitch $1,000,000 for it I bet he would sell it, and
    if someone offered me moon money for the "Almighty Dimes Set" I would too. Otherwise I'm content spending the rest of my life continuing to build upon this world class Roosevelt Dime set.

Nick
  • Options
    Just a couple comments to Nick's post:

1. The possible "secret" collector(s) I refer to do not have to be collecting at this very moment. I believe one may be taking a break from this series at this time. Maybe he will come back next year or the year after, or possibly never at all. Yet another collector is likely out there based upon some coins I am aware of that sold. Let's see if the clad dimes go for reasonably strong levels next month in the big sale.

2. The 35-D quarter in MS67+ cost about $7,000 with buyers' fee. I would prefer that coin to the "$25,000" MS67+ from the 1960's any day of the week.

3. A 1989 $50 Gold Eagle grading NGC-MS70 just fetched about $30,000 at auction!! The coin is worth slightly over melt one grade under! Give me (7) assorted pop 1/0 or pop 3/0 silver Roosies MS68FB any day of the week to that one gold coin. The Roosies can rise again one day; no one should count them out by any means.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I think its a great time to be buying. I have considered starting another set. I even bid on a couple that were at auction on ebay, but got outbid! Guess someone is making a set.
  • Options
    I think it is a great time to be buying too. But be a selective buyer. Buy for your collection not because you think you can flip them for a quick buck.
    There are soooo many nice Roosies available right now. Let them come to you don't chase them. This current Heritage auction could be the start
    of Roosie capitulation.
  • Options
    I agree with Nick on buying Roosies now. I would not sell my set and I feel like Nick, I will own my set when I go and let someone else make all the profit but I will enjoy it while I am here and keep upgrading all the way. Check out my #3 set in the registry 1946 FS 504. It has taken a long time and a lot of money but it is right under Nick and Jon sets and I am extremely happy about that.
  • Options
    If anyone has any unimprovable color coins, keep me in mind. 😉
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    These 2 are unimprovable

• Options
    Out of this world!!
  • Options
    Those are very beautiful Dimes Nick! Crossing them???

I was over on the U.S. coin forum and came across this thread: Selma Burke Controversy Repost from ATS and thought that the information in that thread would be a good read for many of us here, while we take a break from Roosie hunting. image If you have about a 30 minutes to an hr to read...there you go.

Thread on U.S. Forum regarding Roosies

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know that there were so many people over here interested in Roosevelt dimes. I've been active ATS for a little while, but just started posting here the other day.

So, I wrote up the Selma Burke thing. If there are any comments from other Roosevelt collectors, I'd love to hear them.

I also noticed that there were a few recent posts about the 1969 and 1970 FS-901 varieties. This is a variety that I've been studying for almost a year. I also recently wrote a short thing on '69 & '70 FS-901 and posted it ATS. Here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8155765#Post8155765

It's probably nothing that you don't already know. And it's a little outdated now. I mentioned that, in nearly a year of looking for the 1969 FS-901, I haven't even seen one. However, I did recently find one on eBay for sale. It's too expensive for what it is. But it was a relief to finally see one.

I mention FS-901 because one of the ANACS graded FS-901s in the post is on eBay now if anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381070515155?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT It's consigned. That's not my eBay username.

I also have two more 1970-D FS-901s at ANACS currently being graded, and the PCGS MS 66 at the end of the post currently with our host for variety attribution. So I'll most likely be wanting to let go of the 1970-D PCGS MS 65 FS-901 in the post sooner or later and, depending on the grades, one or both of the ANACS coins that they have now. Message me here or ATS if you're interested.

One variety that I've been looking for is a 1970-D CONECA DDR-002. I have examples of DDR-001 (FS-801), DDR-003, and DDR-004 (FS-802). But I'm missing 002. If anyone has a certified or definite mint state example, I'd be interested in picking it up from you. From what I've seen, there is a lot of strike doubling found on 1970-D dimes and I don't need any more of those.

Lastly, I also noticed someone else's post about 1969-P MS 65 and MS 66 examples. I have a NGC certified '69-P at MS 66 that I'm looking to unload if anyone is interested...cheap! I actually believe that it is overgraded at MS 66. I'd put it at MS 65 on a good day. However, I just sent the coin back to NGC for appearance review and it came back with the same grade...MS 66. If anyone wants it, I can let it go for $32 and will ship for free anywhere in the U.S. Not to show all my cards or anything, but I only paid something like $22 for it originally...but had to spend a little on it for shipping for the appearance review. Message me if you're interested. I can obviously send you photos of it.

I've been collecting Roosevelts exclusively for almost three years. So all this only scratches the surface of my Roosevelt interests. And I've already typed too much for one post. So I'll wrap it up with one of my favorite rainbow toners in my collection:

1949-S NGC MS 67
    imageimage
    "Man will never be perfect until he learns to create and destroy; he does know how to destroy, and that is half the battle.”
    - Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    I believe and I think Dimeman might be on board with this also, but I cannot speak for him that there might be a 1970 near AM/wide A M variety for the reverse of this year and it may be tied into the rev. of '68 or the DDR 801/802. I also have a few graded NGC and raw 1968 DDO and believe that I have a different early stage DDO with light doubling on the date and LIBERTY. The strike is much better.
    The amount of Rev of '68, DDO's, DDR's for 1968-1970, I believe that we may see a few more hit the CPG book in its next edition.
    If anyone who collects Roosevelts knows they should have Kevin Flynn's book "The Authorative Referrence Book on Roosevelt Dimes". Even though the book is severely outdated, it is a very useful tool none the less, and has a vast array of pictures of RPM's, DDO's, DDR's.

As always just my $0.10

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have Flynn's book. And, yeah, it is a great resource for photos...but a little outdated and is missing or mistaken about some key information. I've actually contacted Flynn asking when, if ever, he was planning to do an update. I can't remember exactly what he said (it's early in the morning for me right now), but I believe he said that he can't do an update until all of the copies of the 2001 edition were sold.

If you weren't already aware of it, RichardsRooseveltReview.com is another great resource for photos....lots of variety photos. That's where I first became aware of the photo of Churchill and Roosevelt following the Casablanca Conference in 1943.
    "Man will never be perfect until he learns to create and destroy; he does know how to destroy, and that is half the battle.”

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    Nice 49S!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the best pic I could get of my one and only 1969-P 901.

• Options
    Dimeman,

Nice Rev.of '68 Dime you have there.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul. The 1969-P 901 is hard to come by.
  • Options
    I just sent in all 69-P dimes I had as one batch for regrading... 5 65's and 4 66's. Hoping to get lucky and make either a 66+ or 67, or an FB. Even just one upgrade would be cool. I arranged them "just so" with the obvious high end coins "sticking out" of the bunch. Let's hope they like at least one of them image

Submission received 12/3 so I won't know until early January...will keep you posted.
  • Options
    Yeah, no doubt. I actually found a dealer with a PCGS example graded MS 63. Here ... no photo though.

Does anyone have a good survival estimate for this variety? I've been in a discussion ATS about it.

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    I will be at FUN.image Wouldn't miss it!
  • Options
    If you have not seen the Hitler Finds Out About PCGS plus and CAC string on the coin forum stop now and view the video. It is the funniest coin video I've ever seen!

See ya at FUN. I'm bringing my rainbow 1950-64 proof set. Be sure to ask to see it, vibrant rainbow proofs are tough to come by. I'm also bringing two MS coins that will simply knock your socks off for the date, includes a 61P that is an impossible coin with color.

Everyone bring a great Roosie or two for show and tell!! Let's make FUN special this year!imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have been going to the local Rockford Coin & Stamp shop for the last 35-40yrs image and they just never fail to amaze me.

I actually haven't been in there in a few months, because no offense, local coin shops tend to have the same tired material unless they have a ton of traffic, do shows, eBay (Buy/Sell/Trade), and what have you. Anyway I asked to look at their selection of MS Roosevelt Dimes and he had a whopping 4 Silver Roosevelts that were MS and none of them were attractive, but they did have a nice selection of clad Dimes. Several specimens of various dates including a very nice selection of 1965-1972, which he had no pricing on. That doesn't bother me, but what I found funny was I found a really nice MS65/66 No-FB blast white 1970-D DDR, I believe to be an FS-801. Very bold doubling. He usually has a CPG sitting around, so I was going to verify to see if it was the 801 or 802, but that didn't matter to me, so I asked him to look it up for a price to charge me and he said "Oh Boy, these are about worthless, you can have it for a couple of bucks"

All in a days work my friends....

Paul.

P.S. No Winky, I didn't find anything you are looking for. imageimage

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Not bad for a couple of BUCKS!!image
  • Options
    2 bucks for the coin and $50-$60 to get it graded and attributed.
  • Options
    I just got this 64-D in hand. I bought it thinking it was the RPM502 and would upgrade my 65. But in hand it looks different that the 502 I have in 65. The 502 is shaped like a triangle where this is more of just a bar shape. It has nice color which you don't normally see on 64-D's. Maybe it is a new variety. See what you think.

Edited to add this is a NGC66.

• Options

<< <i>image >>

I bet this obverse looks stunning in hand. Nice, very nice.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Anyone care to share their winnings with us regarding the "Paul Kiraly #1 NGC Registry Roosevelt Dimes Set" on Heritage.

I did not bid.

Later, Paul.