Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

Comments

• nagsnags Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the US Mint is drawing enough sales away from the ANA show dealers, we may see an end to the US Mint's welcome that the ANA shows. Mint collected over one and half million in sales the first go around. That's a lot of money not spent with the dealers there. >>

What percent of the sales at the ANA are (directly or indirectly) to a dealer or for a flip? The number has to be almost all of them
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the US Mint is drawing enough sales away from the ANA show dealers, we may see an end to the US Mint's welcome that the ANA shows. Mint collected over one and half million in sales the first go around. That's a lot of money not spent with the dealers there. >>

What percent of the sales at the ANA are (directly or indirectly) to a dealer or for a flip? The number has to be almost all of them >>

I would say over 75% but it's hard to fault someone for flipping when they can wait in line for 4 to 8 hours, do a quick flip of 5, and then go home and order one from the Mint with the profits.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't understand why they can't start shipping to the people that ordered on day one. If they have a few thousand to distribute at coin shows they have enough to start shipping the others. I remember seeing these made a few months back so they do have them.

Seems unfair to me. >>

Distribution center may be waiting on the packaging that goes with these. Comes from a different contractor. I'm sure that the mint has, at least in their own eye's, a good reason for not beginning the shipments. >>

the same distribution center that ships to ANA ships to us. If they had 2000 coins to sell, then they had 2000 coins to ship to us first.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't understand why they can't start shipping to the people that ordered on day one. If they have a few thousand to distribute at coin shows they have enough to start shipping the others. I remember seeing these made a few months back so they do have them.

Seems unfair to me. >>

Distribution center may be waiting on the packaging that goes with these. Comes from a different contractor. I'm sure that the mint has, at least in their own eye's, a good reason for not beginning the shipments. >>

the same distribution center that ships to ANA ships to us. If they had 2000 coins to sell, then they had 2000 coins to ship to us first. >>

How do you know the mint staff didn't bring them along from the mint? I doubt a shipment that large was made to the convention center when a much more secure method would be to transport them directly from the mint with the mint personnel and with mint security. Logistics dictate bringing them from the mint was the best method.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

bring them from the mint?

the mint sales counters (HQ and union station) get them shipped from the same place we get them shipped from. Everything routes through Indiana.

no difference. same point.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>bring them from the mint?

the mint sales counters (HQ and union station) get them shipped from the same place we get them shipped from. Everything routes through Indiana.

no difference. same point. >>

ANA is not a routine point of sale, one time shot that requires all sort of stuff be brought in by mint employees. And with that kind of cash flowing you can bet it includes some serious mint security.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

<< <i>

<< <i>bring them from the mint?

no difference. same point. >>

ANA is not a routine point of sale, one time shot that requires all sort of stuff be brought in by mint employees. And with that kind of cash flowing you can bet it includes some serious mint security. >>

as mentioned earlier there is a US Mint policeman there. image People get $$ shipmens from Indiana all the time. You think HSN gets them personally delivered?

Anyway, it still does not get away from the fact that Indiana had 2000 coins to sell, but did not ship them to us and instead only had them on backorder.... then sold them days later at the ANA while we wait.

• Counter 31174
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What percent of the sales at the ANA are (directly or indirectly) to a dealer or for a flip? The number has to be almost all of them >>

I would say over 75% but it's hard to fault someone for flipping when they can wait in line for 4 to 8 hours, do a quick flip of 5, and then go home and order one from the Mint with the profits. >>

Why is the wait so long with 75 people?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counter up only 692...the big slow down is happening....watch what happens next Wednesday with the price for an uptick or continued sub 1000 sales

<< <i>Anyway, it still does not get away from the fact that Indiana had 2000 coins to sell, but did not ship them to us and instead only had them on backorder.... then sold them days later at the ANA while we wait. >>

We don't know that these coins ever went to Indiana and we don't know that these coins weren't set aside for this specific purpose. Without knowing I don't see where those that placed orders have a legitimate claim to them. Those that ordered should get their coins and they should get them in order of when they were purchased. That is the mint's policy and I don't see indication that they will not honor it. If they don't, please let me know and I'll join the complaining.

If anything the mint is doing the flippers a favor and really publicizing these coins via the ANA. The first flippers usually don't see the highest returns, especially when there is a limit on mintage or a window on availability.

Lucky ANA buyers were in the right place at the right time, let it go. Stuff happens. And no, I'm not one of them.

I am absolutely and 100% sure they all route through Indiana.

<< <i>I am absolutely and 100% sure they all route through Indiana. >>

Unless you have 100% reliable inside information I'm absolutely and 100% sure that you are not absolutely and 100% sure. image

Why don't you ask the mint why placed orders were not given priority.

Trade shows such as the ANA are special events for the US Mint and require special logistics. I find it hard to believe the mint picks up a phone and tells Indiana contractors to send 1000 coins to the show and they will pick them up when they get there.

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Counter 31174 >>

And shipping 08/23 image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>Counter 31174 >>

And shipping 08/23 image >>

Get ready for the first few tracking numbers this Sunday night!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

<< <i>

<< <i>I am absolutely and 100% sure they all route through Indiana. >>

Unless you have 100% reliable inside information I'm absolutely and 100% sure that you are not absolutely and 100% sure. image

Why don't you ask the mint why placed orders were not given priority.

Trade shows such as the ANA are special events for the US Mint and require special logistics. I find it hard to believe the mint picks up a phone and tells Indiana contractors to send 1000 coins to the show and they will pick them up when they get there. >>

I could tell you but ...

I wish I could tell them in person, but I'd have to call them as I've since moved.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reguardless of where the coins were shipped from, the real policy is:

One batch of the coins is for us to do whatever suits us with and the rest are to be shipped whenever we are ready.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>Reguardless of where the coins were shipped from, the real policy is:

One batch of the coins is for us to do whatever suits us with and the rest are to be shipped whenever we are ready.image >>

the real policy is "we will ship customer orders first come first serve." Let me know when they don't. image

A good example is collector coins sold individually and also sold in sets. Should orders placed for the W uncirc. ASE all be filled before the mint releases the annual dollar set that also contains the W uncirc ASE?

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are ANA buyers flipping to? Dealers at show like when UHRs were some at show with 5 or 10 limit? 20% flip not worth it on FeeBay w/all fees.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anything the mint is doing the flippers a favor and really publicizing these coins via the ANA. >>

If the mint had stated upfront, on the website at the start of sales on Aug 8 that 1000 coins, limit five per customer, would be available for purchase and immediate possession at the Chicago ANA show on Tues, Aug 13, 2013, I think it would be a great promotion. Everything would be up front and nobody that ordered from the website would be ticked.

To me, I don't see how it's such a great promotion. It would have been better not to pi** any one off, but some customers are peeved, so as a promotion, eh.
    Yes you are correct that the coins in batch # 2 are to be be shipped to customers FIFO.

and the coins in batch #1 are for "preferred treatment"
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    If everyone will give up on the illusion that everything is fair and that they have an equal shot at everything,

they will be more happy and have less to complain about.image
    my order was in well before the first person was in line at the ANA

yet the system showed backorder???)

<< <i>

<< <i>If anything the mint is doing the flippers a favor and really publicizing these coins via the ANA. >>

If the mint had stated upfront, on the website at the start of sales on Aug 8 that 1000 coins, limit five per customer, would be available for purchase and immediate possession at the Chicago ANA show on Tues, Aug 13, 2013, I think it would be a great promotion. Everything would be up front and nobody that ordered from the website would be ticked.

To me, I don't see how it's such a great promotion. It would have been better not to pi** any one off, but some customers are peeved, so as a promotion, eh. >>

The surprise appearance of the coins has made it a much better and more talked about promotion. The fact that they are already on ebay due to the ANA is not gonna drive the price up? I expect those that get them via orders will get a better price than those who currently have them in hand and for sale. So far I don't see where the mint has failed to follow its shipping policy. ANA coins only started the clock earlier on the price drive up. Anyone that feels slighted by the mint should cancel their order and take their business elsewhere and quit whining about it.

• It does not make sense to me.... designate my coin as FS, or ER when 2,000 coins, or more, were sold before mine was ever shipped. imageimageimage
    Solution:
    A label with FS, or ER after 2,000 coins
    Or FS / ER of the second batch.image

Alex
  • I have a better solution...
    A label with OF - Ordered First.

Alex
    First Strikes/Early Releases has nothing to do with best strikes or best coins, "Earliest Sales" would be more appropriate. Every time they pull out a new set of dies, even after the FS period has ended they are gonna get the best strikes. FS/ER is nothing more than a sales tool used to create demand. And it works well. Theoretically a First Strike coin could be struck at the end of die run and actually be a poor strike. Once struck all of the coins go on a shelf and are most likely pulled for shipping in no particular order of when struck. If aftermarket buyers would quit paying extra for "special" labels, submitters would quit paying extra to get them. TPGs are only meeting the demand that they themselves initially created. Marketing genious if you ask me, but I won't pay extra for them.

Maybe we can get a "First Graded" for the first coin of a series that gets graded.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    OK, derryb, I'll call Uncle, but not because of any opinion or argument you present here. Whining, unfairness, greatness of promotion, enabling of flipper prospects, etc., etc., etc., has nothing to do with it.

I'll cite this factual portion of the US Mint shipping policy -

Order Acceptance Terms

Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.

You may cancel your order at any time prior to processing.

The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.

The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.

Looks like the Mint thinks this is in its best interest.
  • I don't get what the big deal is. You ordered and you will get your order. At least you're in 50 bucks less than they're selling for now and if things keep going like they're going you'll be in at a very nice price.
    From NN about the Kennedy Set:

He praised the ANA event as a must-attend convention.

“We’ve learned a big lesson here: funnel a key product launch at ANA.”

imageimage

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First Strikes/Early Releases has nothing to do with best strikes or best coins, "Earliest Sales" would be more appropriate. >>

Actually, "Early Release" is really more appropriate than "First Strike" as they are in fact, early releases as this can be proven by the ship date. There is absolutely no way for proving when they were actually struck! I guess the ANA coins could be slabbed as "Earlier Release."
    to me there are a couple of issues:
    The Mint should ship to those who ordered ASAP. This whole idea of making people wait when product is obviously available is baffling. It seems so unnecessary and is becoming the norm as reflected in the past few offerings. All the consternation and frustration could be avoided with a simple explanation of why the shipping can't start immediately after the orders start.
    The second irritating thing is the underhanded disrespect that is shown toward the Mints customers. This is not the first time the Mint has pulled a fast one. Remember the ASE that was promoted as being a one time offering then appeared in another set when that sets packaging was designed and approved way before the first ASE set was even offered ? But this is what happens when bean counters take over any company. Customer satisfaction and transparency go out the window in the name of maximizing profits. I'm not against profit. But if they weren't so weasely and just were honest up front there wouldn't be a problem and bad feelings.

FWIW I ordered gold eagles on Wed. morning before price update and was notified they shipped today. I'm sure the special issue buffalos require special logistics and that the mint is not just sitting on ready to ship products. Most likely a delay in the large number of needed COAs or other mint packaging, but I for one give them the benefit of the doubt on not rushing them out the door. The TPGs seem to understand this in the way they don't start the FS clock until shipping begins.

I would also expect the shipping to begin much sooner (normally occurs) than they are indicating and that their current projections for shipping, since it is a special issue requiring special logistics, have built in cushions in the event of unforeseen delays.

Lot of the same whiners whining about the same thing since the last special mint issue and the one before that. Whay do they keep going back for more abuse?

When this customer is no longer happy with mintr service, I wil no longer be a customer.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    i can't think of any logical reason for the Mint to go and sell these at a show when they say themselves that they have MORE than 31,000 orders to fill.

Exactly

But 29000 (2000 less, that figure includes the Ana coins esp. since they came through Indy, too)

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are ANA buyers flipping to? Dealers at show like when UHRs were some at show with 5 or 10 limit? 20% flip not worth it on FeeBay w/all fees. >>

Dealers on the floor were paying between 150 and 225 over per coin today.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Dealers on the floor were paying between 150 and 225 over per coin today."

At around $200/coin over most people were not selling today best I know (although some obviously were). I personally bought some coins in that range today. Only time will tell if they perform well or not.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 333 ✭✭
    One positive point. My shipping date has changed to 8/23
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One positive point. My shipping date has changed to 8/23 >>

Mine, too! "1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 08/23/2013." image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mine, too! "1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 08/23/2013." image >>

Likewise...it's about time
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Likewise...it's about time >>

What time did you fellows place your orders ? Mine was placed at 12:14pm 8-8-13. My order still sez shipping 9-8-13.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I'll make you guys feel better. My order placed 28 minutes before the price increase and my ship date is 9/27. By Christmas we'll all have our coins and those guys paying $3k to have Chicago release on the label will have a $2k coin if they're lucky. I think 80-90% will be PR70. Btw I will have the rarest of all mine will stay OGP.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got off the phone with the Mint and was told that the coins at the ANA show were shipped from West Point. I ask her if they had any at PBGS and she said they haven't gotten any yet. She said when they do get them they have to box them up and then the shipping will begin.

I filled out the Mint survey today while checking an order....I'll probably be banned and never get that order...image

Agent Jim, I'm with you on the OGP.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If everyone will give up on the illusion that everything is fair and that they have an equal shot at everything,

they will be more happy and have less to complain about.image >>

If those of us who believe in "fair, and equality before the law" gave up on making it fair, the world would suck worse. Oh yeah, it already does. Nevermind. Carry on.
    This attitude permeates society. Is there something wrong with "fair" ? Some of us know that not EVERYTHING is fair, but true is still true, and wrong still wrong.

An ounce of gold is still an ounce of gold and why have an "ORDER NUMBER" , if there is no order or sequential distribution of such ?

P.S. I am happy image ... in order to be, it was the realization that LIFE isn't fair.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Likewise...it's about time >>

What time did you fellows place your orders ? Mine was placed at 12:14pm 8-8-13. My order still sez shipping 9-8-13. >>

12:06
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    What would prevent our dear friends at the US Mint from keeping a couple thousand Coins to sell to the Christmas crowd?

Seems to me that wouldn't be much different from selling at the Coin Conventions.

Go US Mint. Do the biggest mass marketing thing you can dream of.

<< <i>

<< <i>If everyone will give up on the illusion that everything is fair and that they have an equal shot at everything,
    they will be more happy and have less to complain about.image >>

If those of us who believe in "fair, and equality before the law" gave up on making it fair, the world would suck worse. Oh yeah, it already does. Nevermind. Carry on.
    This attitude permeates society. Is there something wrong with "fair" ? Some of us know that not EVERYTHING is fair, but true is still true, and wrong still wrong.
    An ounce of gold is still an ounce of gold and why have an "ORDER NUMBER" , if there is no order or sequential distribution of such ?

P.S. I am happy image ... in order to be, it was the realization that LIFE isn't fair. >>

Please don't take everything I say to the extreme. It is meant to be sarcasm. Never stop trying to do what you can

to make things better, however do not be too naïve to realize the way things are. Life can be good if you make it.image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Hattrick. It's a good post you made and sometimes I just want to expound a bit.
    While channel surfing last night I flipped to AAN (American Auctions Network), a sort of auction/bin channel that has coins, and seeing the reverse buffalo full screen stopped me in my tracks. They were offering raw ones for $1,999.97. The guy said you can get them graded your self for $50. (semi quote here as I didn't write what he said down) "If you get a 70 you will make $300 instantly. If you get a 69 you'll break even. Or make $100." He didn't explain the procedure for getting it graded...whether they would do it for you (like I'd trust that method...oh no, yours came back a 69 or 68. Rrrrrright) or you would send it in to your grading service of choice ( they were showing lots of other coins from across the street) Then this part was a little sketchy and it wasn't repeated so I couldn't confirm exactly what he said. I thought I heard him say you could get the ANA labeled one for $2,999. HUH?? What was that you said? He said a little later he would have a couple more on Sunday. ???? He was saying "another one out the door....and another..." I watched a little while longer but no more buffalos came by so I could pin down what they were asking for an ANA slabbed 69 or 70.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file