Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set official order thread

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People are buying these for $180 a set right now. They'll be available for at least a month, crazy. >>

Stupid is as stupid does. I've never understood why people pay a premium for items which are available directly from The Mint.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>People are buying these for $180 a set right now. They'll be available for at least a month, crazy. >>

Stupid is as stupid does. I've never understood why people pay a premium for items which are available directly from The Mint. >>

Either they don't realize they, too, can get these directly from the Mint, or their impatience wins out over practicality. For some people, the switch is "off". image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered 3 sets. Ship date 8/8/13.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say these would be offered at a USM counter at a Southern Show this week - was it in St Louis???

If thats the case, and true, everybody kiss FS goodbye.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ship date has magically transformed to 6/17/2013, order placed at 1305.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My ship date has magically transformed to 6/17/2013, order placed at 1305. >>

Yup, mine (1:03pm) was 7/25 on the email, changed to 7/11 on the website and then changed to 6/17. At this rate they should be at my door next Wednesday image

Oh, I should add....assuming some sets were released at the show do you really think that the TPG's would forfeit all the potential FS monies because of these few sets??? I would think not and the date would start when they are first shipped to the general public.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Smoe is bettin' da crap flips. >>

Hum... I see. Last one flipped will see the smelt.image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

As the order date expires the end of June - I'm holding off ordering until
    the 5 oz. Silver White Mountains New Hampshire is issued next week.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Yeah if it comes in under 500k, I'll place an order.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha Ha Ha!!!! Placed my order. Spin the dice.

This "shipping date" altercation of 8/8 is as fictitious as the belief that the Bulls can pull this series out!

The Heat is on!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did someone say these would be offered at a USM counter at a Southern Show this week - was it in St Louis???

If thats the case, and true, everybody kiss FS goodbye. >>

FYI

The U.S. Mint only had a sample at the show. All sales are being made on line or via the telephone.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    First order for 2 sets @ 12:20 Expected ship: 6-17-13 #41480xxx
    Second order for 2 more sets @ 12:49 expected ship: 6-17-13 #41484xxx

In 29 minutes they took 3,930 orders.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    When silver was selling at $35 an ounce just a few years ago didn't the mint sell 25 million regular bullion ASEs. Silver at $23, I can imagine there could be planchet shortages. Can always hope. They are taking orders but will they fulfill them. Anyway. I place 5 single orders by 1 PM. Will remain sealed. No way getting these graded. Will buy an NGC 70 set to keep complete all my anniversary eagles starting from 2006.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelled. I don't see it flipping well, jmho. Good luck to all.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Product will be available for shipping 09/30/2013
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I have two sets of three on order with a ship date of 8/8/2013. With the number that are currently sold by the Mint, I bet I cancel them by the date the first sets are shipped.

good luck to anyone who is buying to flip. I just don't see it with this set!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Sales updated...Now at 182,733
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that set has quite a strong propulsion. I wonder it the Mint has a guy like on the movie "Airplane" that says "just kidding" in regards to that counter. image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sales updated...Now at 182,733 >>

Isn't that as of last Friday? I believe the counter is for the previous business day's last sale.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Now it says product will be available for shipping 9/30/2013......... image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Someone better tell this guy that they're not going to flip!

It's not a HUGE profit but $35 X 5 is still a quick $175. Less shipping and fees of course image

I think those whom got their orders in early will be able to flip it for a small profit. I bought five sets myself. Not sure if I'll send all five in for grading with First Strike (if eligible) or just pick my one set out and sell the other four without grading them. The whole goal was to get the four sets to pay for the one I want to keep image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Quite high number of set sold.....

Amazing, End of Sept is shocking as well.....

One of these days I will get mine ordered.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta think the sales will slow to a trickle. The flippers want them fast for a few valid reasons. I'd guess the sales from here until the end are folks who actual want to keep the coins.

Anyone want to guess on what date the TV dude will start selling these, and at what price?
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gotta think the sales will slow to a trickle. The flippers want them fast for a few valid reasons. I'd guess the sales from here until the end are folks who actual want to keep the coins.

Anyone want to guess on what date the TV dude will start selling these, and at what price? >>

June 17th and for about $220 a set is my guess.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options

<< <i>Someone better tell this guy that they're not going to flip!

It's not a HUGE profit but $35 X 5 is still a quick $175. Less shipping and fees of course image

I think those whom got their orders in early will be able to flip it for a small profit. I bought five sets myself. Not sure if I'll send all five in for grading with First Strike (if eligible) or just pick my one set out and sell the other four without grading them. The whole goal was to get the four sets to pay for the one I want to keep image >>

The net is maybe $30 total for selling 5 sets, and that's pretax.
  • Options
    The "enhanced" silver eagle is not the only thing enhanced about this product. The mintage looks pretty enhanced from some of the other "special" eagles, since the 2006 RP.

Let the flippers burn.image
  • Options
    The mint needs to go back to a limited mintage.. I miss all the cry babies , Now they all get their pacifiers.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now they will cry about how we did not get in on time for 1st strike, The US mint needs to fix there ording. image I'm in for 20 ship date 6/17/13 Looks like that is the 1st round of shipping image All going in for grading.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I s'pose that I'm obligated to buy a couple of these sets. Argh.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sales are slowing down considerably 187,541 total as of 5PM 5/14 approx +5k from yesterday
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sales are slowing down considerably 187,541 total as of 5PM 5/14 approx +5k from yesterday >>

It may turn out well this year for the flippers if that continues......time is ticking downimage

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sales are slowing down considerably 187,541 total as of 5PM 5/14 approx +5k from yesterday >>

It may turn out well this year for the flippers if that continues......time is ticking downimage >>

I bet quite a few are waiting until the last week to see what the numbers are
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Probably a 250K mintage like last years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It may turn out well this year for the flippers if that continues......time is ticking downimage >>

I bet quite a few are waiting until the last week to see what the numbers are >>

With a shipping date of 9/30 for those that are waiting....I don't know. I suspect that the 6/17 shipping date orders will be rewarded, if they get slabbed with a FS label.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the 6/17 shipping date orders will be rewarded, if they get slabbed with a FS label.

This is one of those situations when many of the coins having FS labels may be some of the very last ones struck from any particular die.

Let's review. There is a one month ordering period, but the shipping doesn't even begin until the orders are closed. This gives the Mint time to stockpile a reasonable number of coins in packaging ahead of time. As the ordering period winds down, I figure that about half of the coins are already struck and the other half are waiting for the final numbers before a 2nd Mint run is scheduled.

So, when the first orders are being shipped, they are being shipped from the top of the pile of the stockpiled inventory, not the very first ones made. In this case, my speculation is that FS may be more representative of First Shipped than of First Strike.

It's for this reason that I believe FS designation is more important to sellers of these issues than to buyers of them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    New number up 191,726
  • Options

<< <i>So, when the first orders are being shipped, they are being shipped from the top of the pile of the stockpiled inventory, not the very first ones made. In this case, my speculation is that FS may be more representative of First Shipped than of First Strike. >>

thus the label "First Release" or "Early Release"...it says zip about when they were struck...appropriately just when they were shipped....
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    On the FS statement you are beating a dead horse.

There needs to be a seperate site for label collectors.

It is like the kings clothes.

As long as there is a marketplace value or percieved value the FS game will continue.

Irony is there are still plenty of sealed registed boxes of eagles with postal date stamps out there from 1980s-1990s that should qualify for FS labels but can't get them.

Go figure.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Order status changed to in-process 6/17 ship date.

Joe
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the FS statement you are beating a dead horse.

As long as there is a marketplace value or percieved value the FS game will continue.

Irony is there are still plenty of sealed registed boxes of eagles with postal date stamps out there from 1980s-1990s that should qualify for FS labels but can't get them.

Go figure. >>

I always end up opening the boxes from the US Mint. I like to take them out and look at them every now and then. Plus most of the presentation boxes are nice.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>On the FS statement you are beating a dead horse.

Go figure. >>

image Never really understood the hype for a FS designation as a collector but see how it could be used as a just another marketing tool for sellers.
  • Options
    No mention of First Strike on the PCGS Website to date, yet our friends across the street are pumping the issue.
    This could be a big boon in sales for PCGS, not sure why they are not involved in the First Strike hoopla.
  • Options

<< <i>Make sure you dial the right number, I was retarded and dialed a number for call girls by accident ><

The US Mint is 800 - 872 - 6468

it is NOT 8468 blah >>

Haha! image
    Taylor
    Just do it.
  • Options
    <<So, when the first orders are being shipped, they are being shipped from the top of the pile of the stockpiled inventory, not the very first ones made. In this case, my speculation is that FS may be more representative of First Shipped than of First Strike.>>

FS is a product of PCGS and nothing more. I'm surprised the U.S. Mint hasn't latched on to this concept. They could easily offer a true FS program, the first 1000 struck with new dies or something along those lines, couldn't they? Offer them in a lottery, ahhh maybe not.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<So, when the first orders are being shipped, they are being shipped from the top of the pile of the stockpiled inventory, not the very first ones made. In this case, my speculation is that FS may be more representative of First Shipped than of First Strike.>>

FS is a product of PCGS and nothing more. I'm surprised the U.S. Mint hasn't latched on to this concept. They could easily offer a true FS program, the first 1000 struck with new dies or something along those lines, couldn't they? Offer them in a lottery, ahhh maybe not. >>

Holy carp, that's a cool idea!!!! I love it, but the mint would never do it and the public would have a cowimage

• Options
    <<Holy carp, that's a cool idea!!!! I love it, but the mint would never do it and the public would have a cow>>

Maybe every so many orders will include 1 of the first 1000 struck pieces? Or what ever is deemed first struck 250? 500? Special packaging and a numbered COA to go along with it? A program like this would have to be approved by Congress though. I'm curious if this has been considered by the Mint director and staff. Perhaps I should write the Mint a letter and ask if this is something they would consider.
  • Options

<< <i><<So, when the first orders are being shipped, they are being shipped from the top of the pile of the stockpiled inventory, not the very first ones made. In this case, my speculation is that FS may be more representative of First Shipped than of First Strike.>>

FS is a product of PCGS and nothing more. I'm surprised the U.S. Mint hasn't latched on to this concept. They could easily offer a true FS program, the first 1000 struck with new dies or something along those lines, couldn't they? Offer them in a lottery, ahhh maybe not. >>

But they did several years ago with the Presidential coin First Day Covers. They clearly indicated in their write-up, that the coins in those sets came from the "first struck" batches. Didn't help them in their sales though. If I remember correctly, only the G.W. of 50k, sold out in a couple of weeks
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    has anyone confirmed that the mint was or was not delivering the coins to buyers at the New Orleans Money Show?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ah hundred image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file