Home U.S. Coin Forum

2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set official order thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• I am through with the Mint. I ordered two sets on the first day in the first hour and received them in the second go around of shipping.

I submitted them for grading and got all 69's.

Get this...I finally received them back from PCGS last Friday. The USPS package had a crack/tear in one corner. It didn't seem too bad, but I started to get worried. Next, I noticed the blue PCGSW box was cracked, but just a small crack in one corner. When I opened the PCGS box, my heart dropped. If my sons weren't in the same room, I may have strated balling uncontrollably. All four holders were cracked. Two were cracked/shattered in the back and it looked like one of those spider web cracks like when your windshield gets cracked. One had a crack in the front running across the top of the coin all the way across the front. The last one was cracked on the side. I contacted customer service immediately and finally heard back from them today. Hopefully this works out ok.

What a rough time from start to finish with these coins.

For me, the last straw with the mint was the Silver Proof Set. I've been ordering them since 1999. I just so happened to check the Mint website recently and noticed they are now selling them for something like $10 less than the original price.

They definitley don't care for the individual collectors anymore.

Oh, and I ended up breaking down and buying a 70 set, since I already had the proof, burnished, and uncirculated from West Point in 70. That Enhance Mint State coing is a real beauty.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant believe no one is getting there sets still. Just crazey i wonder how many dealers it took to do this to every one and now the the Buffalo lets see how long it take on this one.... image

Hoard the keys.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I received my set from Goldmart last week. Looked great, packaged well.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • These are the coins I got that has these marks on it. I wanted to get them graded, but afraid these will not pass 69, what do you all think?

Does anyone take the coins out of the capsule and put them in non-PVC flips to submit it to TPG and save the capsules for future use?

SPOT1
    SPOT2
    SPOT3
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Links are dead....

I never take them out of the capsules....less chance of scratching the surface
  • Thanks for the notice, try again please.

Thank you for your advice.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the notice, try again please.

Thank you for your advice. >>

How about some obverse pictures.... Are your scans for one coin or 3 separate coins? Scan 2 & 3 appear to be for the same coin
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • they are the same coin, I just angle the light differently.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody know where I can get ( 6 ) of the coin capsules for the OGP's that goes with these sets?
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>Does anybody know where I can get ( 6 ) of the coin capsules for the OGP's that goes with these sets? >>

check with PCGS or NGC...they should have "boat loads" of those. For a small price, I'm sure they'll send you all the ones you need. Give them a call & let us know what they say.

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anybody know where I can get ( 6 ) of the coin capsules for the OGP's that goes with these sets? >>

check with PCGS or NGC...they should have "boat loads" of those. For a small price, I'm sure they'll send you all the ones you need. Give them a call & let us know what they say. >>

I called PCGS and CS rep said they either return to customer or keep on hand to replace broken or damaged one. None for sale and could not recommend where to get.

I will keep searching and post when I find some.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feebay will have them. I dont know how much. image

Hoard the keys.
  • How about NGC, give them a call as well.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

here
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

here >>

Try wondercoin

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I finally got my one set ordered.
    Confirmation # 41560XXX.

30 September estimate. >>

The other day, I received an email from the USM,
    seems they shipped my one set - and late this afternoon,
    the two coin W mm'd set arrived - the "enhanced" version is WOW !!!

I only ordered one set - I don't have them certified - they stay in their
    original Mint capsules - and get placed in an Eagle Album. [ The 2x2 Flip pages
    work perfectly to hold the original capsules !! ]
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

check with PCGS or NGC...they should have "boat loads" of those. For a small price, I'm sure they'll send you all the ones you need. Give them a call & let us know what they say. >>

I called PCGS and CS rep said they either return to customer or keep on hand to replace broken or damaged one. None for sale and could not recommend where to get.

I will keep searching and post when I find some. >>

Have you tried the BST? I have had luck there before, on similar, and also helped out a couple of others that posted there for similar (when I had extra) over the years.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Thanks MsMorrisine, I contacted Wondercoin and he said he would check for me when he returns from his trip.
    I will wait to hear from him.

Thanks again to all who replied.image
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a slightly different off topic question... I have a bunch of mint capsules returned from graders.

How do you get them open? Is there a trick to it? The two halves won't come apart. Even tried a suction cup on it for grip, but they still won't separate. Gonna take a hammer to it soon... image
    Had that problem before. I held over the whistle of a steaming tea pot for a couple of seconds. Have outer side facing steam.

the heat will make it expand faster than the inside and loosen up.
  • badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

On a slightly different off topic question... I have a bunch of mint capsules returned from graders.

How do you get them open? Is there a trick to it? The two halves won't come apart. Even tried a suction cup on it for grip, but they still won't separate. Gonna take a hammer to it soon... image >>

Hold the capsule on the edge using your thumb and 2 or 3 fingers so that you're looking at the edge.

I start out with a sharp knife blade and slip it into the crack between the two halves and GENTLY rotate the blade a small amount to open the crack, rotate a small amount and repeat while pinching with the thumb and fingers to keep the crack from closing. Work your way around until you can get a broader blade such as a butter knife in and continue the process until they come apart. You'll probably have to go around 3 maybe 4 times. Don't hurry.
    Thin knife blade method would not work on one for me. the steam made it come apart easy.

P.S. use a pair of tongs to hold the capsule or you will burn your fingers.
  • badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thin knife blade method would not work on one for me. the steam made it come apart easy.

P.S. use a pair of tongs to hold the capsule or you will burn your fingers. >>

Whatever works.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On a slightly different off topic question... I have a bunch of mint capsules returned from graders. How do you get them open? Is there a trick to it? The two halves won't come apart. Even tried a suction cup on it for grip, but they still won't separate. Gonna take a hammer to it soon... >>

I've always used a fingernail. I find the seam, run my fingernail around it once, then use my thumbnail to jimmy it open. Never had a problem...
    The heating method on reactive pure silver???

No way.

You are using the wrong kind of blade: try a box cutter

(Would notching the larger bottom a bit would cause air-not-tite effects? It would seem on the Mint's they never close fully anyway. So what would a small notch hurt?)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>On a slightly different off topic question... I have a bunch of mint capsules returned from graders. How do you get them open? Is there a trick to it? The two halves won't come apart. Even tried a suction cup on it for grip, but they still won't separate. Gonna take a hammer to it soon... >>

I've always used a fingernail. I find the seam, run my fingernail around it once, then use my thumbnail to jimmy it open. Never had a problem... >>

That is what usually works. Then when I could not get my nail in some the thin knife blade worked. But had a gold buffalo one that was pushed so tight that even after a 1/2 hour

trying to get athe knife blade in I though of trying the steam and in seconds I had it apart. Steam works great on tight jar lids as the metal expands much faster that the glass.

<< <i>The heating method on reactive pure silver???

No way.

(Would notching the larger bottom a bit would cause air-not-tite effects? It would seem on the Mint's they never close fully anyway. So what would a small notch hurt?) >>

You are right . Never use the steam method with a coin, however we are talking about empty capsules returned from graders. With an empty one it can be pushed together so tight you can not even

get in the thinest of blades. For an empty capsule the steam had it open in seconds.

When in the middle of a discussion sometimes we overlook one of the facts which in this case is that the capsule is empty.

<< <i>The heating method on reactive pure silver???

No way.

box cutter works every time. Heating is a no no.
    Ja Ja

Missed those posts about it being empty.

abox cutter will still get a little bit off the edge without removing a chunk to the inner diameter and that'll be the leverage point. Faster than water boiling image

<< <i>Ja Ja

Missed those posts about it being empty.

abox cutter will still get a little bit off the edge without removing a chunk to the inner diameter and that'll be the leverage point. Faster than water boiling image >>

Smashing it with a hammer is even faster.image

However if you don't have any extras, want to use them and are a perfectionist like me, you don't want any cracks or chips showing.

Then it is time to get into a little hot water. image
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<She also said that these wouldn't ship until the week of JULY 25.>>

My order states 5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 07/11/2013.

EDIT: Is this latest offering a good example of crowd herd dynamics? >>

OMG! OMG!

Got my last two sets (last day order) yesterday!

Only 3 months from order to fullfillment. image

They're still in the box. They might stay there...
  • Well to my surprise I received my set last night. Why am I suprised you ask? Well thats because I CANCELLED my order and bought from GM (which arrived a LONG time ago)!!!

I checked the CC and it was charged, but I have a confirm email that my order was cancelled... image

Upon inspection they look great, I think I will probably just keep
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    The one and only come image

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely a beautiful set, though I sense interest is starting to slip as flippers wait for the next "victim" - oops, gave away my feelings on that!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    I think these will start rising shortly once the buffalo stampede is over. I also expect a large reduction in final mintage once the final numbers which include returns and cancellations are released.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++++ MINTAGE REDUCTION.....maybe ++++
    Mint News Blog reports there could be, might be, a major reduction in the mintage numbers of this set. A tease from the article:
    .....After one reader noted some figures accessed from the cumulative numismatic sales figures posted on the US Mint’s website, another reader noticed that the sales figure for the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set indicated 234,532 units. This would represent a reduction of 46,778 units from the last reported sales figure......
    For the whole article follow this link Mint News Blog Post

• CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins image Is scheduled to issue these two amazing silver coins at 2014?image

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file