Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options
    Just keep those 1981 rack boxes unopened and nobody gets hurt! image
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options

<< <i>Well brothers, just to add to the current state of delirium,
    I just closed a deal: I think i'll keep the prices I paid private to save myself from a public scolding

2 1975 Topps Cello boxes
    4 1981 Topps Rack Boxes
    2 1983 Topps Rack Boxes
    1 1983 Fleer Rack Box
    and...
    1 1980 Topps Vending sealed case! image

I have been looking for that for a long time...
    now all I need is a 1978 vending case, I am sure there are a few laying around somewhere (yup sure there are)

EDIT: just did my usual lurking of BBCE and on the home page Steve writes this "We sold out. Thanks, Steve." with no explanationimage
    Reminded me of the commercial with the guy staring at the computer and realizing that he has just "finished" the internet >>

Congratulations on your deal that's very exciting! I remember seeing stacks of vending boxes back in the day. If I only knew then what I know now.

Any reason you're looking for vending in particular? Will you be opening any of the newly acquired material in hopes of popping some gem mint cards?

- John
  • Options
    Thanks John,
    I am hoping some day to build nice sets from my HS years (1981-85) - just for my personal memories. So I will be one of the idiots someday submitting Dan Petry cards hoping for a 10 grade for an otherwise worthless piece of cardboard image
    Vending seems to be the best overall value while racks seem to offer the best chance at 10s. I guess I am guilty of adding to the frenzy and to be honest I should just keep my mouth shut because it is probably costing me money...but you know it is all for fun
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1 1980 Topps Vending sealed case! image

>>

Oh my!!!! If you start ripping that one, please let us all know
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Although not accurate for all sports, there is no fighting the fact that 70s and early 80s unopened baseball product is getting harder
    and harder to find.

BBCE raised their buy prices significantly, but their inventory has barely increased. In fact, it is well known that BBCE has paid over their published buy prices in the past and it would not surprise me if they need to do so now in order to get the little inventory that they have been able to get recently. Even auction prices realized are basically 2x what they were 18 months ago. For this segment of the market it is basically becoming very hard to replace inventory, and for some issues it is next to impossible to do so.

When I look at this segment of the market, I will not be a believer that we have reached a true plateau until I start seeing the available inventories start increasing again. It seems like the vast majority of the people who are collectors of this segment of the unopened market are buyers right now. And while there are a bunch of buyers, there are barely any sellers. Yes, maybe you see a box or two here and there every so often, but when was the last time a large block of these products came available (either as a group lot or to be broken up individually) on the market?

With this state of affairs, historical prices have rapidly become relatively meaningless. The present immediate sell-outs we've seen as BBCE has put up new inventory are telling us all that prices still have a ways to go (upward) before supply catches back up with demand.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Vending seems to be the best overall value while racks seem to offer the best chance at 10s. >>

Agree with you and for my part the vending case for 1980-81 is my preference due to cost.

For those years you can still pull 10s and even some great 9s.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    This is probably not going to be the most popular posting in this thread but
    I feel that it needs to be said.

Be more like MintMoonDog.

Be more creative and take some initiative.

Get out there and find unopened. It's out there. Talk to local card shop
    owners and let them know what you're looking for. If you don't have a card
    shop locally then hit the road and find some. Go to some shows. Check
    Cragislist. Talk to some older collectors that may be willing to part with items.

If you don't have time or motivation to do this then you're at the mercy of one supplier
    and you'll just have to live with the limitations that it entails.

But if everyone keeps fishing in the same pond then you're going to be disappointed
    at the both the variety and lack of supply as well as rapidly rising prices.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But if everyone keeps fishing in the same pond then you're going to be disappointed >>

Be careful which ponds you fish though or you could be more disappointed in the outcome
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>This is probably not going to be the most popular posting in this thread but

But if everyone keeps fishing in the same pond then you're going to be disappointed
    at the both the variety and lack of supply as well as rapidly rising prices. >>

Thanks Dave and a personal piece of advice, don't waste a day arguing about your suspicion that "Crush" Davis is juiced because boxes will come and go on BBCE before you can type your Brady Anderson analogy.
    And convince your boys that community college is the "new" ivy league as you spend their college fund image
  • Options
    Yes there are risks -- but the excuse that only certain suppliers can be trusted
    to get product from absolves one of taking any initiative.

My post was not meant as a criticism.

I am merely challenging the unopened aficionados to think outside the box more and
    saying that it is worth the effort spent to do so.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So I will be one of the idiots someday submitting Dan Petry cards hoping for a 10 grade for an otherwise worthless piece >>

LOL....I was a huge Petry fan. He is a great guy as well. I have about 70 1980 Petry rookies that I had kept protected in soft sleeves since the early 1980s. I looked through them a year or two ago and I did not find even one that I thought would even grade a 9. Again shows you how tough those cards are. By the way, I also graduated high school in 1985.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes there are risks -- but the excuse that only certain suppliers can be trusted
    to get product from absolves one of taking any initiative.

My post was not meant as a criticism.

I am merely challenging the unopened aficionados to think outside the box more and
    saying that it is worth the effort spent to do so. >>

Wise words indeed, but even those of us who look outside of a single source are seeing very limited supply
    for unopened vintage product. There are many more buyers right now than there are sellers. And it is not
    common to find huge volumes available even when you do find a seller.

This is far from an issue of everyone going to the same "watering hole". For some segments, in particular
    1970s and early 1980s Topps BB, there is just very limited supply. And when a box comes onto the market
    it is usually the situation that MANY potential buyers start swarming (some with very deep pockets as was
    demonstrated in the REA auction this year).

When even the major vendors are having trouble replacing their inventory you know that supply is short.

Dave
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am merely challenging the unopened aficionados to think outside the box more and saying it is worth the effort spent to do so >>

In searching for other avenues to buy unopened material I have found that some of the boxes coming from other sellers have been bad. It does me no good to buy a box and save $30 today to learn that the box is worthless later. The other issue that people need to realize is the impact of reselling these items down the road. A year ago I decided to do my own group rip and I cracked open a box of 1977-1987 Topps football run. I had people questioning (rightfully so) where I got the boxes and if they were legit. I ended up selling 21/36 lots and that was over a three week period. Those who bought wrote back and said the packs were perfect and told me that they were very pleased.

After this experience I don't think I will ever do this again. It was a ton of effort but this made me realize that if the box does not have his seal of approval selling individual boxes/packs would be difficult. I think all of these boxes did come from BBCE with the exception of one or two but were straight from a case.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well brothers, just to add to the current state of delirium,
    I just closed a deal: I think i'll keep the prices I paid private to save myself from a public scolding

2 1975 Topps Cello boxes
    4 1981 Topps Rack Boxes
    2 1983 Topps Rack Boxes
    1 1983 Fleer Rack Box
    and...
    1 1980 Topps Vending sealed case! image >>

That is a mighty scrumptious lineup, Moondoggie. Pacify me with some photography when they arrive, por favor.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>As much as I've enjoyed this thread, I now have a slight change of heart as far as creating it and feel as though BBCE might be taking advantage of this board by raising prices his on items that that probably would of never even been raised otherwise. That's just how I see it now. >>

You've created a MONSTA and it's spinning out of control ala Frankenstien. Ultimately you will responsible for consequences this brings...............image
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is probably not going to be the most popular posting in this thread but

Get out there and find unopened. It's out there. Talk to local card shop
    owners and let them know what you're looking for. If you don't have a card
    shop locally then hit the road and find some. Go to some shows. Check
    Cragislist. Talk to some older collectors that may be willing to part with items.

If you don't have time or motivation to do this then you're at the mercy of one supplier
    and you'll just have to live with the limitations that it entails.

at the both the variety and lack of supply as well as rapidly rising prices. >>

I agree with this statement about creating your own "stash" by finding your own upopened. There are so many people that stashed away unopened boxes in the late 80's and early 90's for investment potential that have not even thought about selling yet. I know of two ladies who have an extensive amount of unopened 80's and 90's material (and I am talking large amounts...one lady used to won a Ben Franklin dime store) that were left to them by their deceased husbands. I know they have it, they know I know how to dispose of it..it is just a matter of time for them to finally decide it is time to let it go. This stuff is out there, you just have to ask questions and let it be known you are in the market for this product.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    just figured I would give me two cents on this topic...I personally have bought from steve for many years and a few of the other big dealers out there as he has done with me...I collect cello boxes and fun bags from the 70s and try to buy as many cello boxes that I can...the fact is they are getting much tuffer to find...I have no problem paying a premium for an unsearched product and for a 1st class person...I don't believe for 1 minute that steve hikes his prices because of us at all not saying this was implied I really don't think we have that much of an effect..(I could be wrong) I myself love cello cases and rack cases and have been buying them for years and it is just really getting tuff to find 1981 thru 1985 cases let alone anything in the 70s..i put a few cases up for sale about 6 months ago and I was shocked how fast they went...supply and demand and with people cracking these they will continue to rise in my eyes in fact so much so that im banking on it...and of course unopened vintage packs...id love to see this thread in about 3 years and see what happensimage
  • Options
    Hey all! First time poster here, figured this would be a good spot to do the "introductory message."

Like most, if not all, I got started from my dad taking me to card shows as a kid. I first started collecting in '85 (Topps) when I was 7. Collected for most of my childhood and then moved on to other things. Fast forward to a couple months ago -- my dad passed away and my mom gave me about 400 cards of his, all of them '59 Topps, some graded. This struck a chord and got me into collecting again. I'm mostly interested in early 80's stuff.

Reason why I posted in this thread, is because I've purchased a few things from BBCE and I was one of the lucky ones to snag a cello box of the 82 & 83 Topps before they sold out. I was shocked to see how fast they went. I ordered mine around 4:30 ET and re-checked their website about 5 hours later to see they were all gone.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that this forum seems like a really cool place. I've checked it daily for the past week and decided to sign up to share stories with others.

I'm from Ohio and was debating on going to the National in a few weeks. I have no interest in modern/contemporary cards, which I'm assuming would be a big draw to a giant card show like that? For anyone that has been to these shows in the past, is there a good amount of vintage packs/boxes for sale at these things?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey all! First time poster here, figured this would be a good spot to do the "introductory message."

Like most, if not all, I got started from my dad taking me to card shows as a kid. I first started collecting in '85 (Topps) when I was 7. Collected for most of my childhood and then moved on to other things. Fast forward to a couple months ago -- my dad passed away and my mom gave me about 400 cards of his, all of them '59 Topps, some graded. This struck a chord and got me into collecting again. I'm mostly interested in early 80's stuff.

Reason why I posted in this thread, is because I've purchased a few things from BBCE and I was one of the lucky ones to snag a cello box of the 82 & 83 Topps before they sold out. I was shocked to see how fast they went. I ordered mine around 4:30 ET and re-checked their website about 5 hours later to see they were all gone.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that this forum seems like a really cool place. I've checked it daily for the past week and decided to sign up to share stories with others.

I'm from Ohio and was debating on going to the National in a few weeks. I have no interest in modern/contemporary cards, which I'm assuming would be a big draw to a giant card show like that? For anyone that has been to these shows in the past, is there a good amount of vintage packs/boxes for sale at these things? >>

First off, welcome to the board. As I'm sure you've seen already, there are a bunch of great guys here with knowledge on a variety of stuff.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend going to the National as it is a great show with lots of stuff you don't see at the smaller regional shows even if the prices tend to be higher for the most part. BBCE sets up at the show and they have a great selection of vintage packs and boxes for sale as well as some others.

Congrats on picking up those '82 and '83 cello boxes and good luck getting back into the hobby. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey all! First time poster here, figured this would be a good spot to do the "introductory message."

I'm from Ohio and was debating on going to the National in a few weeks. I have no interest in modern/contemporary cards, which I'm assuming would be a big draw to a giant card show like that? For anyone that has been to these shows in the past, is there a good amount of vintage packs/boxes for sale at these things? >>

Welcome, and I ditto Mike's comments. There is indeed a ton of experience and real in-depth knowledge on this board. I've learned a ton over the past 6-7 years perusing the various threads.
    EDIT: sorry about your father passing - wrote the welcome message before actually reading the entire post
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

Welcome to the boards! You may want to consider starting a new thread to introduce yourself as many may have tuned out on this monster thread some time ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing and can only imagine how powerful it was when your mother handed you those cards and brought back some great memories together.

As far as the National, you should definitely go. You will find just about anything you can imagine and a great deal you never did imagine there. Vintage/modern, raw/graded, high grade/low grade, memorabilia, unopened, and so much more.

Snorto~
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That price was insane for that 79 rack lot. I was fairly close to closing a deal with him for around $700 dlvd, but even that was a premium price, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Did you guys see a 1978 Topps cello box on eBay yesterday morning for $800? I clicked on the listing and it said ended. I can't find it in the completed listings section, however. I was wondering if it got snagged before I could get it or the seller pulled it. Even if the seller ended it early, wouldn't it show up on searches? Confusing to me.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you guys see a 1978 Topps cello box on eBay yesterday morning for $800? I clicked on the listing and it said ended. I can't find it in the completed listings section, however. I was wondering if it got snagged before I could get it or the seller pulled it. Even if the seller ended it early, wouldn't it show up on searches? Confusing to me. >>

I didn't see it, but noticed that sometimes items don't show on completed auction searches even if you put the key words in. $800 a coupe years ago and it would have sat on ebay for months. Now it sells in minutes at that price. Glad I saved a few, and wish I had back the couple I've also sold during the years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you guys see a 1978 Topps cello box on eBay yesterday morning for $800? I clicked on the listing and it said ended. I can't find it in the completed listings section, however. I was wondering if it got snagged before I could get it or the seller pulled it. Even if the seller ended it early, wouldn't it show up on searches? Confusing to me. >>

I didn't see it, but noticed that sometimes items don't show on completed auction searches even if you put the key words in. $800 a coupe years ago and it would have sat on ebay for months. Now it sells in minutes at that price. Glad I saved a few, and wish I had back the couple I've also sold during the years. >>

I wish I didn't sell two of my 1979 wax boxes over the past year. I'll be holding onto the other three for sure.
  • Options
    I may very well be in the minority with this line of thinking, but I for one feel like we're catching breaks with current BBCE prices. All it takes is a little digging to augment this stance. A handful of weeks ago an 82T wax case was eviscerated @ 190/pop. A lot of members on this very board got a piece of the action. Meanwhile, this brother just recently let one go for 30%+ more. I have no reason to doubt dugout as a seller, but let's face it, even on the best of days he's still reading the bottom of BBCE's shoes. It's all relative, folks. In fact, if we're thinking logically here, we should be eternally grateful that we're not ponying up a significant premium for unopened from the preeminent leader in the hobby.

• Options

Scott, I don't know why it didn't come up for you, but here it is.

1978 Topps Baseball Cello Box

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, after what i've observed around here today, i suppose we oughta be thankful that Geddy Lee doesn't hang out on Steve's front doorstep waiting for him to return from buying trips.

or, maybe now he does.
  • Options

<< <i>well, after what i've observed around here today, i suppose we oughta be thankful that Geddy Lee doesn't hang out on Steve's front doorstep waiting for him to return from buying trips.

or, maybe now he does. >>

Me thinks maybe I need to hang out by Steve's front doorstep too.

Don't worry, I'm not a psycho or anything. image

Edited to add: Plus, Steve does have a distant early warning system. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I did not buy the 78 Baseball cello box but I got there 78 Football cello box for $550. I thought it was a good deal.
  • Options

<< <i>I did not buy the 78 Baseball cello box but I got there 78 Football cello box for $550. I thought it was a good deal. >>

That is a sharp looking box.....nice addition! I have always liked the look of that set.

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i> wish I had back the couple I've also sold during the years. >>

Tim, you and I strongly disagree on this point! image
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>I may very well be in the minority with this line of thinking, but I for one feel like we're catching breaks with current BBCE prices. All it takes is a little digging to augment this stance. A handful of weeks ago an 82T wax case was eviscerated @ 190/pop. A lot of members on this very board got a piece of the action. Meanwhile, this brother just recently let one go for 30%+ more. I have no reason to doubt dugout as a seller, but let's face it, even on the best of days he's still reading the bottom of BBCE's shoes. It's all relative, folks. In fact, if we're thinking logically here, we should be eternally grateful that we're not ponying up a significant premium for unopened from the preeminent leader in the hobby. >>

::like::
  • Options
    The forecast must have called for intermittent '75 showers this week...

• Options

<< <i>

I did not buy the 78 Baseball cello box but I got there 78 Football cello box for $550. I thought it was a good deal. >>

Well I decided to try and make a profit from that 78 cello box so I listed it on eBay for 1k. It sold a week later to a buyer named Hal Steinbrenner. Yeah that Hal Steinbrenner. Never knew he was a collector. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I did not buy the 78 Baseball cello box but I got there 78 Football cello box for $550. I thought it was a good deal. >>

Well I decided to try and make a profit from that 78 cello box so I listed it on eBay for 1k. It sold a week later to a buyer named Hal Steinbrenner. Yeah that Hal Steinbrenner. Never new he was a collector. image >>

That is very cool! Congrats on the sale! IIRC there was a guy who worked with the Yankees down in FL who was a big unopened collector, but his name escapes me at the moment. BTW, that was quite a profit you made on that box in a short period of time!

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well I decided to try and make a profit from that 78 cello box so I listed it on eBay for 1k. It sold a week later to a buyer named Hal Steinbrenner. Yeah that Hal Steinbrenner. Never knew he was a collector. image >>

That's fun! I sold some vending boxes to him maybe 6 months ago! image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well I decided to try and make a profit from that 78 cello box so I listed it on eBay for 1k. It sold a week later to a buyer named Hal Steinbrenner. Yeah that Hal Steinbrenner. Never new he was a collector. image >>

That is very cool! Congrats on the sale! IIRC there was a guy who worked with the Yankees down in FL who was a big unopened collector, but his name escapes me at the moment. BTW, that was quite a profit you made on that box in a short period of time! >>

Dang. You beat me to that listing by literally a minute! It was on my iPhone screen. When I went to BIN it disappeared.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is very cool! Congrats on the sale! IIRC there was a guy who worked with the Yankees down in FL who was a big unopened collector, but his name escapes me at the moment. BTW, that was quite a profit you made on that box in a short period of time! >>

Dang. You beat me to that listing by literally a minute! It was on my iPhone screen. When I went to BIN it disappeared. >>

Yeah the old days of eBay I use to be able to pick up a Buy It Now newly listed card priced cheep but now it seems like there is every Tom, Dick & Harry looking for a deal so its pretty much dumb luck if I come across one.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To say that they reloaded the 1980s baseball category would be an understatement. Currently 192 items in 1980s baseball. I seem to remember someone pointing out that the total was down to 108 not too long ago.

I'm pretty curious to check tomorrow morning and see how much of it is still there.
  • Options

<< <i>To say that they reloaded the 1980s baseball category would be an understatement. Currently 192 items in 1980s baseball. I seem to remember someone pointing out that the total was down to 108 not too long ago.

I'm pretty curious to check tomorrow morning and see how much of it is still there. >>

Damn. I am about $5,000 short of the stuff I want to get.
  • Options
    Insane!! Lets see how long this last. First thing I looked for was 1980 Topps wax box - none unfortunately.... but lots of everything else.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To say that they reloaded the 1980s baseball category would be an understatement. Currently 192 items in 1980s baseball. I seem to remember someone pointing out that the total was down to 108 not too long ago.

I'm pretty curious to check tomorrow morning and see how much of it is still there. >>

Damn. I am about $5,000 short of the stuff I want to get. >>

LOL 20K for me, and I just dumped a ton of cash on upgrading my 1971 set...so I am out. Glad to see the product there!
  • Options
    Not too much from the 70s added thus far, though. Hoping to see a few new items soon. I did see that the 79 super cellos sold pretty quick, though~was listed this afternoon and gone by this evening.

• Options

<< <i>Insane!! Lets see how long this last. First thing I looked for was 1980 Topps wax box - none unfortunately.... but lots of everything else. >>

I looked too, but surprised there is none there. But I do notice an increase in all prices pre-1986.
  • Options
    The 82 and 83 Topps wax and cello cases would make for some nice group rippage! image

• Options
    Yeah, not much of anything added to the 70s. Although there are some 79 wax trays, which I don't expect to be there in the morning.
  • Options
    80's is already down to 192. So 2 items have already been bought...
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, not much of anything added to the 70s. Although there are some 79 wax trays, which I don't expect to be there in the morning. >>

IIRC earlier in this thread there was some debate about whether a 79 wax tray could justify a $60+ price point. I guess that question has been answered, lol..

• Options

<< <i>80's is already down to 192. So 2 items have already been bought... >>

It was always at 192.