Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>80's is already down to 192. So 2 items have already been bought... >>

It was always at 192. >>

lol oh...i thought it was at 194....::whistles:::
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭
    Grote- I remember when the case of 1979 Topps Rack case was out on eBay and many thought $45 was too high per rack. This was only five months ago when this case came up.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    After some long days at the National, the BBCE boys put in some overtime to get the remnants listed. New items started hitting the site around 5:00PM CDT up until about 10:00PM CDT that I noticed.

Definitely beefed up their football section... with wax box run from 1977-1985 (they only had 1982-1985 before) and added cello boxes for 1975, 1983, 1984, & 1985. A few new wax, cello, racks, & grocery racks too.

I pulled the trigger on more than a few of them.... just waiting until tomorrow to see how many I got too on time to actually get! One has to move quickly, even us lowly football collectors, with all the cardboard piranha circling the site. image

I was awfully tempted by the 1975 cello and 1981/1984 rack boxes, but (as of yet) resisted the urge since they are outside of my collecting focus (although so were the 1977-1979 boxes I DID order). image

Happy hunting all!

Snorto~
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    1977 opc baseball packs...
    up from $16/pack to $22/pack...ouch!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 82 and 83 Topps wax and cello cases would make for some nice group rippage! image >>

hint. Hint. HINT!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 82 and 83 Topps wax and cello cases would make for some nice group rippage! image >>

hint. Hint. HINT! >>

Calling Mark aka cincyredlegs, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I bought a box of 1983 Topps Football wax from BBCE for 90 in February. They are now selling for 140.
  • Options
    I guess 76 FB wax trays are pretty rare. They had single packs at $60 before they sold out. The tray is only 3 packs, which is nearly $135 a pack.
  • Options

Im game!!!!! image
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

hint. Hint. HINT! >>

Calling Mark aka cincyredlegs, lol.. >>

I am working on it fella's.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    I noticed the increase last night and also picked up that the prices seem to be slightly under the ebay market. I picked up a cello box of 1981 Topps, as it's the last cello I've been looking for from the early 80's. I think it was $165? That seems to be right around, and maybe slightly lower than what I had been seeing on ebay for them. I was also tempted to buy a wax box of '82 Topps, but I resisted (for now). Those are priced under $200, which is about what they are going for on ebay. Glad to see some stock replenished.

p.s. I just want to say I love that '81 Topps set and the cards. They are like the "red headed step-child" of early 80's baseball cards. No really good rookie cards, slightly ugly design, not as much demand as the years around them, but I just love those cards.
  • Options
    1000!!
  • Options
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Man I gotta stop looking at the BBCE website... way too tempting!
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    When the dust settles, how much of that newly-listed product will be gone from the site today?
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered and spoke with Steve. He said he got over 1 million orders last night. That is just insane
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just ordered and spoke with Steve. He said he got over 1 million orders last night. That is just insane >>

Wow! That's a lot.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>I just ordered and spoke with Steve. He said he got over 1 million orders last night. That is just insane >>

I have a feeling many people pulled the trigger on the same items. It'll be interesting to see who ends up with what.

Jeff
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

This is tongue and cheek correct? No way Steve took over 1 million orders last night.
  • Options
    I hope a lot of the 4 figure items are sold for my bank accounts sake. I also don't hear anyone talking about a group rip......sounds like people want their stuff first.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This is tongue and cheek correct? No way Steve took over 1 million orders last night. >>

Patrick Bateman used some of the principle from his bonus.
  • Options

<< <i>This is tongue and cheek correct? No way Steve took over 1 million orders last night. >>

Maybe over 9,000. image
  • Options
    Just heard from BBCE about an order I placed last night. I went after the 1975 Topps Cello football box they had left, and didn't win the race. They seem to have indeed sold a ton of the new stuff.
    Jeff
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This is tongue and cheek correct? No way Steve took over 1 million orders last night. >>

Probably 1 million page refreshes on their website
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    +1000 Foo! image

I was pleasantly surprised to hear this morning that everything I ordered last night as they were hitting the site were in stock! image

I was unpleasantly surprised to hear they are no longer doing the 10% discount, especially with the price hikes. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>I was unpleasantly surprised to hear they are no longer doing the 10% discount, especially with the price hikes. image >>

Indeed.
    Jeff
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

maybe he meant to say dollars. image
  • Options
    BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    Hello!
    It's been a crazy night/day since I updated the website last evening. We are trying to keep up with the orders and updating the website as we do so.

A couple people have asked about the blanket 10% discounts we usually give CU members. Most of the items that are pre-1985 we have not been able to give the discount on. The reason is as follows. For example:

We only had 1 box of 1975 Topps football cello. We probably took orders for 8 of them! The first person who bought it, gets the first crack in line at it. That's the way we try to be fair. The first order on the timestamp gets the first crack at it. That person who got it may have asked for a 10% discount on it. However, the following 7 orders after that were from people who did not ask/nor get a discount. So we offer the box to the first person who made the first order without the discount. If they want it, they can have it for full price. If they pass, we have many people waiting who will take it at full price (Some of them are even CU members!).

Therefore, in this absolutely crazy unopened market, we are offering the discount on stuff that sits around. The stuff that is on fire, we just cant do anything about at this time. The market is crazy. There is a good chance I will be buying this stuff back in the near future for what I'm selling it for today.

I will re-visit this issue in the future. Someone told me to just "put a price on it where you can offer 10% blanket discounts". This also means to just raise everything 10%, then offer 10% off. However, I don't like the idea of just inflating the prices and then giving a discount. This just doesn't look right to the customer who buys off the site and never asks for a discount.

Thanks, Steve
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was unpleasantly surprised to hear they are no longer doing the 10% discount, especially with the price hikes. image >>

I thought that was only on certain items.
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know you offered the discount on personal orders.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 10% discount for CU members? I did not know that.
  • Options
    Thank you for clarifying the very generous discount. I agree, from a business standpoint, that inflating prices on everything for a blanket discount is bad practice. However, for group rip items, it's great! Haha. I didn't think a lot of it would last and sure enough, it didnt. My bank account is saved. I't s been terrible the last few weeks figuring out what to buy, old Topps boxes, 90's boxes, Bowman Chrome boxes, 13 Topps Mini, etc.....hopefully we can get this group rip started! I see cases of 82 and 83 stuff sitting there!
  • Options
    Foo,
    Congratulations on reaching 1000 with this thread!

I just made what might be my last purchase on BBCE - the first step in recovery is admitting you have an addiction...at least that is what Lindsay told me today on the phone. We decided to help each other out...I will begin to drink all the booze she is giving up and she will find a way to keep me distracted from stalking the BBCE website - just thinking about what that might be
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    damn this thread for pointing out the new items!

i did some serious damage to my credit card this morning. excited for the great stuff tho!
  • Options

<< <i>Hello!
    It's been a crazy night/day since I updated the website last evening. We are trying to keep up with the orders and updating the website as we do so.

A couple people have asked about the blanket 10% discounts we usually give CU members. Most of the items that are pre-1985 we have not been able to give the discount on. The reason is as follows. For example:

We only had 1 box of 1975 Topps football cello. We probably took orders for 8 of them! The first person who bought it, gets the first crack in line at it. That's the way we try to be fair. The first order on the timestamp gets the first crack at it. That person who got it may have asked for a 10% discount on it. However, the following 7 orders after that were from people who did not ask/nor get a discount. So we offer the box to the first person who made the first order without the discount. If they want it, they can have it for full price. If they pass, we have many people waiting who will take it at full price (Some of them are even CU members!).

Therefore, in this absolutely crazy unopened market, we are offering the discount on stuff that sits around. The stuff that is on fire, we just cant do anything about at this time. The market is crazy. There is a good chance I will be buying this stuff back in the near future for what I'm selling it for today.

I will re-visit this issue in the future. Someone told me to just "put a price on it where you can offer 10% blanket discounts". This also means to just raise everything 10%, then offer 10% off. However, I don't like the idea of just inflating the prices and then giving a discount. This just doesn't look right to the customer who buys off the site and never asks for a discount.

Thanks, Steve >>

Or just set up your website so that when someone buys something the inventory is automatically adjusted and if you run out of something the site puts a sold out stamp on the item or deletes it entirely. I bought something from Dave and Adam's last night (per box $38 compared to your price of $55) and when I tried to buy 5 boxes it told me there were only two left. Different from a few months ago when I bought that exact same product (for $44) from you and had to contact you to see how many you had left and was told you only had one box left. I bought the one box from you only to see the same product on your site hours later for $55. I also got free shipping from Dave and Adams (ordered more than $150 to qualify for that).
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Holy Cow! Unopened is going like crazy. Over half the items I flagged last night are no longer available. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    I got lucky and went 3/3!! Just checked & all 3 are no longer available.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patrick Bateman used some of the principle from his bonus. >>

I'm sure you realize his post was just to poke fun. I contacted Steve and he confirmed that no such sale of a $15k '79 wax case took place.

For those who are easy to trust, when you read these outlandish stories, especially from new members with few posts, do some homework before you buyin to the hype.

On a more positive side, great to see Steve posting here and that he and the crew did so well at the National and shortly following. Well done! >>

Yes I am quite aware his post was not to be taken serious. Nor was my response.

Quite frankly I am stunned you think anyone took it seriously and you went to the trouble to contact Steve to see if his buy actually happened.
  • Options
    she can't stand being out of the loop. i encourage everyone to be equally as divisive until her circuits blow. image
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Everybody go crazy and buy everything! You may never see any of it again at these prices! - every seller of readily available wax on the planet

lol

Don't get me wrong. I love seeing money spent in our hobby and couldn't care less what it's being spent on. I just think that what's happening with this '70s/'80s/'90s wax isn't sustainable and there is a lot more of it out there than people think. Just because fewer people are selling to BBCE doesn't mean it's all drying up. Prices are increasing because fewer and fewer people are selling to BBCE and more and more are holding or selling on their own. BBCE's prices are rising and product is flying off the shelves, not because it's getting harder to find, but because it's getting harder for THEM to buy. This creates false ebay prices based on BBCE sales of stuff they are having a harder time finding to flip, but is still out there in abundance. It's a bubble, IMO.
  • Options
    Interesting that Steve has an 83T sealed cello case listed at $4,000 (= $250/box) and individual cello boxes priced at $240/box. It may be the first time I've seen a sealed case priced at a premium over the equivalent box price price. I can understand the premium, given the assurance that comes with a sealed case of cellos not having been, potentially, picked over in an open box. But, it seems that premium should be more than just 4.2% though. With a sealed case, you don't have to worry that the cellos with stars on top have been removed or that the cellos with the right sequencing for a key RC have also been removed. Isn't that worth more than 4.2%?
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    In another two weeks we'll be saying: "definitely. BBCE is drying up." image
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    Interesting that the 1981 Topps 3box rack case sold for 1000.00 in less than a day. Congrats to the buyer. Just 3 months ago I picked one up from Dugout Dave's for that amount and it was easily 30% over the price at BBCE. I figured it would reach 1K in a year or two but not in this market!
    I know many of us are missing out on a lot of stuff but I have to admit that I am thoroughly enjoying this ride and all the banter image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    We may never see this day in the near future, but it would be interesting to see a few of the very well known big wax collectors give their entire inventory to Steve to sell, and
    see how long it would take for it to get bought up.

I'm talking about these big guys who have vintage wax collections well into the 6 figures, of wax from the 50's through 70's.

It would just be interesting to see if a lot of it hit the market, how long it would take to sell.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We may never see this day in the near future, but it would be interesting to see a few of the very well known big wax collectors give their entire inventory to Steve to sell, and
    see how long it would take for it to get bought up.

I'm talking about these big guys who have vintage wax collections well into the 6 figures, of wax from the 50's through 70's.

It would just be interesting to see if a lot of it hit the market, how long it would take to sell. >>

I'm hoping grote sells some good stuff soon too!

aconte
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm hoping grote sells some good stuff soon too!

aconte >>

Me too. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    A) how are "worthy premium ripping materials", er, unopened boxes vanishing if they are just moving from one guy's warehouse to another guy's storeroom?

B) the affected slab market, er, red-hot graded cards get pumped full o' roid bids on any day a Probstein or PWCC auction ends and it's been happening for quite awhile.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A) how are "worthy premium ripping materials", er, unopened boxes vanishing if they are just moving from one guy's warehouse to another guy's storeroom? >>

I like to refer to it as a vault. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to see you Mike, sorry I missed you at the Nat. I was there in spirit. image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON