Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>The good thing is that you'll have a fair number of shots at getting that elusive Fernando PSA 10 rookie. It would be good to see pics of what you mine from the case >>

I feel like I've already hijacked this thread enough as it is -- I"ll start a new one to report my findings.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dare I say this thread has become moribund? I was beginning to think that we were in the eye of the National hurricane, but then someone sniped the crap out of a '75 mini box today. I think it happened while I was sneezing.

Yo Cubs, how did the sea o' 81 vending turn out?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options
    Takin' a breather half-way through the 81 Topps vending case.

Lots of great low-pop cards and the usual badly-centered ones as well, but it's exceeded
    my expectations so far. This is my first vending case after a bunch of wax and rack cases.

Overall a lot of fun so far and when I'm done bustin' the entire case I'll evaluate what's there.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I noted some 1982 and 1983 Topps cello boxes from unopened cases on the BBCE website this afternoon. Let's see how long they last image Also some early 80's Fleer boxes. I'm trying to stay strong and save my allowance for the National
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I noted some 1982 and 1983 Topps cello boxes from unopened cases on the BBCE website this afternoon. Let's see how long they last image Also some early 80's Fleer boxes. I'm trying to stay strong and save my allowance for the National >>

3...2...1 Let the floodgates open.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

3...2...1 Let the floodgates open. >>

They stated that the 83 Topps cello had the black x out on them. Is that possible on a unopened case or was it a typo?
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3...2...1 Let the floodgates open. >>

They stated that the 83 Topps cello had the black x out on them. Is that possible on a unopened case or was it a typo? >>

The X out cases were marked by Topps to prevent returns for credit. They can be original boxes or "put together" boxes consisting of single packs returned from stores to fill boxes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm blaming cpamike if my wife asks me what the heck is this 80s stuff you're getting now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭
    I think they priced high enough to prevent an insta sale. I could be wrong....
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm blaming cpamike if my wife asks me what the heck is this 80s stuff you're getting now.. >>

Yeah, but they are from a sealed case. Personally, I'd go for the 1982 Topps Baseball cello box since it is a non-X out box even if the stock picture isn't. Unfortunately I'm at my limit for the 80's this month.

I'm just glad you aren't blaming me for getting slapped. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd go for the 1982 Topps Baseball cello box since it is a non-X out box even if the stock picture isn't

Great minds think alike.. image

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I want a 1985 Topps box from BBCE that looks case fresh.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭
    1982 cello sold out already! I picked up a 1983. The x-out doesn't bother me considering it is from a sealed case and from Steve.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Crazy people!

aconte
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    We were paying $135 for 82 Topps cello and $126 for 83 Topps cello last year. We paid $167 for each earlier this year. I didn't see what the 82's were listed at but the 83's are at $240 with no discount. So they have basically doubled in less than a year.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    As much as I've enjoyed this thread, I now have a slight change of heart as far as creating it and feel as though BBCE might be taking advantage of this board by raising prices his on items that that probably would of never even been raised otherwise. That's just how I see it now.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As much as I've enjoyed this thread, I now have a slight change of heart as far as creating it and feel as though BBCE might be taking advantage of this board by raising prices his on items that that probably would of never even been raised otherwise. That's just how I see it now. >>

^^^^+1
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As much as I've enjoyed this thread, I now have a slight change of heart as far as creating it and feel as though BBCE might be taking advantage of this board by raising prices his on items that that probably would of never even been raised otherwise. That's just how I see it now. >>

Marc,

I don't believe Steve is gouging us. The un-opened market is hot now and prices are going crazy. I do believe that we now have a influx of "investors" that are buying and holding to make a profit over time.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    I've had nothing but good dealings with BBCE but I refuse to put them on the same level as a saint. A few months ago after I took part in a group rip I added a box of unopened hockey for $44. I asked how many they had in stock. I was told one. I took the one. Next day the same box is for sale on their site. New price: $55. Seemed slightly shady to me.
  • Options
    Dugout was selling 82 cello boxes for $225 just recently and sold them all out, and I would rather deal directly with Steve for the $15 premium. Also, we know from past experience that Steve does not cherrypick boxes, and it's not often that you can acquire a case fresh non-x-out, non-cherrypicked cello box from 1982. That's the way I look at it.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Because when you can't keep boxes from selling within minutes of posting them on the site, raising the price doesn't make sense. Are his prices not allowed to reflect the market?
  • Options

<< <i>

Because when you can't keep boxes from selling within minutes of posting them on the site, raising the price doesn't make sense. Are his prices not allowed to reflect the market? >>

Definitely he should be able to. If someone where to have bought all those boxes and immediately put them up on ebay stating exactly where and when he got them and upped the price by $50 per box, good chance they would have sold quickly.
  • Options
    Because when you can't keep boxes from selling within minutes of posting them on the site, raising the price doesn't make sense. Are his prices not allowed to reflect the market?

I'm not just talking about those items that he can barely keep on the shelves but he has also raised the prices on other products that without this thread, I don't believe they would have been raised. 1985 Fleer baseball, 1987 Fleer baseball, 1986 Donruss baseball, 1986 Topps baseball, and even a case of 87 or 89 Topps. Things that aren't exactly flying off the shelves either. Dont get me wrong either, BBCE is top notch and I've never had an issue dealing with them but its just funny how the prices have raised (and how much) since this thread was created in January of this year. Compare them to before January. I think someone posted prices recently and some barely had any movement in 2 years. Now boxes that really should have no business going up in price suddenly are? Ok...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking for commission? image
  • Options
    LMBO. Nice one Jeff.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure it's on him. They aren't his posts and everything is gone the second he puts it out there. Now, if the board is creating a bubble, then we should probably stop doing that.

Edit since I read your comment after I wrote this. If he has later 80s stuff is overpriced, it won't sell. He should probably have something stay on his sight too. I would enjoy ripping a couple of boxes of 86 topps actually, but don't think I will at $18. If others agree, it will sit.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    LOL
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    What would be an interesting stat to know is just how many purchase orders, percentage-wise, are placed by board members. I know Steve has a large following of customers who are not CU message board members.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>What would be an interesting stat to know is just how many purchase orders, percentage-wise, are placed by board members. I know Steve has a large following of customers who are not CU message board members. >>

Agreed. id say less then 15%
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The endless whining and entitlement on display here never ceases to amaze.

Dear BBCE,

Thanks for having sub-market prices for years on the majority of boxes I hunt for. Thanks for making it right any time there was a question of quality on a box you sold me. Thanks for the discounted group rip prices. Thanks for existing. If your boxes get too expensive and/or a better vendor comes along, I promise to simply stop buying from you as opposed to complaining about you on message boards.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Remember, Marc, you created this thread BECAUSE things started flying off the shelf. And in past years, when things sold out on BBCE's site, they would typically raise the price the next time they stocked it. And remember, Steve even stated that he does not even need to list the fast selling wax - he could just sell it directly to the "big" buyers he talked about. Also, given the lack of product out there, I am sure Steve is paying much more for this stuff than he ever has in the past.

I thought $240 for a 1982 cello was just crazy, but it appears they sold out within hours today at that price...so Steve could have sold them for even higher than that!

What would be interesting is if BBCE started offering these boxes on ebay in auction format....I can't imagine what the ending prices would be for their company-sealed boxes.
  • Options
    Dear thehallmark,

This is an open forum where collectors and card enthusiasts come to discuss sports cards in general which can and even will include prices of cards for sale from various websites from time to time. There are many people on here who post comments that may have views different than your own and not everything you may read here will you be in agreeance with either. This thread does not seek your approval nor will any thread on this board I feel ever will and if you dont like it, then may I remind you that you are not here forcefully. Hopefully you will stick around however and just enjoy yourself and respect others different thoughts and views and refrain from making such childish comments when you read something you don't agree with.

Best~
    Marc
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i> you are not here forcefully. >>

Do you see the irony here?
  • Options

<< <i>I've had nothing but good dealings with BBCE but I refuse to put them on the same level as a saint. A few months ago after I took part in a group rip I added a box of unopened hockey for $44. I asked how many they had in stock. I was told one. I took the one. Next day the same box is for sale on their site. New price: $55. Seemed slightly shady to me. >>

Same thing happened to me a few years back buying Topps fan favorites boxes. Placed an order for multiple boxes and was told my complete order couldn't be filled. Next day or two later, more boxes were listed at a higher price.
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Because when you can't keep boxes from selling within minutes of posting them on the site, raising the price doesn't make sense. Are his prices not allowed to reflect the market?

I'm not just talking about those items that he can barely keep on the shelves but he has also raised the prices on other products that without this thread, I don't believe they would have been raised. 1985 Fleer baseball, 1987 Fleer baseball, 1986 Donruss baseball, 1986 Topps baseball, and even a case of 87 or 89 Topps. Things that aren't exactly flying off the shelves either. Dont get me wrong either, BBCE is top notch and I've never had an issue dealing with them but its just funny how the prices have raised (and how much) since this thread was created in January of this year. Compare them to before January. I think someone posted prices recently and some barely had any movement in 2 years. Now boxes that really should have no business going up in price suddenly are? Ok... >>

So when Steve sells out of product at prices below what e-Bay is asking or getting, and he has to pay higher buy prices to replenish them, he should sell at his old prices? Looks like he wouldn't stay in business.
    The years and products you mentioned above do sell. His prices despite the increases are still less than e-Bay. And good luck finding case fresh product he has for the prices he is asking.
    If '85 Fleer, '86 Donruss, and '87 Fleer don't move, why doesn't he have any instock currently (doubt he is saving these for the National)? He hasn't had '86 Donruss in awhile, and sold out of the '85 and '87 Fleer with price increases just recently.
    If anyone cares, the '86 Topps came from a freshly sealed case, and was labeled as such when I purchased. This is not mentioned in the description.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally do not think this thread has caused the prices to go up on unopened wax.

The market has been gaining steam for a while and once you get upward moving prices people start looking for the next stuff to move and that in it self makes it move.

It is possible that many members here are certainly influencing prices but not solely responsible for the current market.

The only way to ration goods is by price and quite frankly with the pace many of these products are selling the prices are too low to meet current demand.

There might have been 20 boxes sell and demand for 50 in some cases at the prices these hit the market for.

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally do not think this thread has caused the prices to go up on unopened wax.

The market has been gaining steam for a while and once you get upward moving prices people start looking for the next stuff to move and that in it self makes it move.

It is possible that many members here are certainly influencing prices but not solely responsible for the current market.

The only way to ration goods is by price and quite frankly with the pace many of these products are selling the prices are too low to meet current demand.

There might have been 20 boxes sell and demand for 50 in some cases at the prices these hit the market for. >>

+1

I think it is funny that people think this thread is the reason prices have gone up. Steve even mentioned what is really going on in the market (as others have correctly predicted) somewhere in this tread or the other thread similar to this topic. People have either failed to read his comments or have read them choose to ignore them.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Uh oh. BBCE has no cases of 1988 Topps baseball (other than vending). Do you think it's drying up??? Have all 1,000,000 cases been opened??? I think its due for a price bump... INVEST NOW!!!

I just noticed 1986 Topps boxes are now $18? lol Who is paying that and why? In hopes of a $20 low-pop PSA 10?
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Inside info: I heard the gentleman who owns the only Just So Tobacco Cy Young is closing a deal to sell it, so he can put the money instead into 1980's wax image
  • Options
    I bought one of the '85 Fleer boxes. Now all I need is an '85 Topps BBCE-sealed wax box and my unopened collection will be complete. image
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭
    So does that mean since certain items are increasing does the BUY price follow as well?
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Pretty soon the term "junk wax" will become obsolete and the cheapest box available will be 1991 Fleer baseball for $15.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Checked BBCE early afternoon, and saw that they had 82 and 83 cello from sealed case at $240 a box and thought, yeah, maybe those boxes will stick around for more than 24 hours at that price. Also, saw michigan test 1983 for $185. Went out tonight, got home at 10 p.m. and all was gone. Guess I need to make my full time job watching the BBCE website and refresh constantly so I can actually buy new product when it is offered! :-)

Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>I bought one of the '85 Fleer boxes. Now all I need is an '85 Topps BBCE-sealed wax box and my unopened collection will be complete. image >>

I am amazed at the prices of Fleer 85 right now.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So does that mean since certain items are increasing does the BUY price follow as well? >>

Yes, he recently raised his buy prices.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    I'm obviously a mule operating in a world of cheetahs - I spend one day fiddling with some nut about my suspicion that Davis might be juiced and whoooosh a hole mess of cards come and go on BBCE! image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I'm not just talking about those items that he can barely keep on the shelves but he has also raised the prices on other products that without this thread, I don't believe they would have been raised. 1985 Fleer baseball, 1987 Fleer baseball, 1986 Donruss baseball, 1986 Topps baseball, and even a case of 87 or 89 Topps. Things that aren't exactly flying off the shelves either. Dont get me wrong either, BBCE is top notch and I've never had an issue dealing with them but its just funny how the prices have raised (and how much) since this thread was created in January of this year. Compare them to before January. I think someone posted prices recently and some barely had any movement in 2 years. Now boxes that really should have no business going up in price suddenly are? Ok...

errr..so let me gett his straight. Steve, who has been in the business upmteen years---prices his stuff based upon what???????

a thread put up by someone who has been collecting '80s unopened for what? 8 months? I don't mean to come down on you Foo, but really, this thread caused him to raise his prices?

I am thinking that Steve has enough experience in the business to know what will sell at a particular price--WITHOUT influence from the the few piranhas on this board who clamor for unopened product.

I am quite sure that even without this thread, Steve would have had the brains to raise prices a little. I mean he is a business man--and the product he moves is HOTTER THAN HOT!! If most businesses could charge people twice as much for services or product and still have them come thru the door --they would and do. Steve is in it to make $$$$$$---not satisfy our need at the lowest prices.

If it's too high--pass on the product--someone will buy it
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foo another thing that must be taken into consideration is that if Steve's buy prices goes up his retail price is naturally going to follow.

Let's say he wants to make a 25% gross profit margin on the sale of unopened material. in 2011 he may have been able to purchase a case of something for $1,000 and would offer it to the public for $1,250. Notice I used the term gross in this example as that is not what flows to the bottom line. He has costs to advertise, run the warehouse and expenses to locate the product and others not mentioned. Bare in mind this is just an example to prove a point.

Fast forward to 2013. The unopened market is hotter then many long time hobbyists can recall seeing it in years. This means the competition to acquire the same product has increased and with the global reach of the internet anyone now can attempt to compete in the card world. The market is the final determinant of price and because anyone with a computer and a PayPal account can go after the product and the only way to stock his shelves is to raise his buy prices.

From the example above now that case is having documented sales of $2,000. Remember Steve is not the only game in town. So he now has to raise his buy prices and hence his retail prices.

The fact that they are charging more in no way guarantees they are making anymore money on the product that is being offered on the site. There are plenty of card dealers I am sure who have been sitting on large amounts of product for years that would indeed be seeing greater profits but a volume dealer has to move with the market. It is like buying and selling a commodity.

If you and others want Steve to continue to offer great product the only way he can is if he makes a profit.
  • Options
    In general, it does seem to be the case that 80's unopened is trending right now as 70's gets steeper in price, which is natural. I have slowed down because of it as well. BBCE still maintains, IMO, the cheapest, most secure prices out there (on most stuff). But I feel comfortable with his prices. They dont scare me.

The sentiment about 80's and whether there are still zounds of cases lurching in attics somewhere seems to have been tamed as we await the aftermath of the national coming up.

Overall, I still find late 80's a stark contrast from early 80's in price. 1980-1985 are more or less at $100 and up, while 1986-1989 are $15 and less.
  • Options
    Well brothers, just to add to the current state of delirium,
    I just closed a deal: I think i'll keep the prices I paid private to save myself from a public scolding

2 1975 Topps Cello boxes
    4 1981 Topps Rack Boxes
    2 1983 Topps Rack Boxes
    1 1983 Fleer Rack Box
    and...
    1 1980 Topps Vending sealed case! image

I have been looking for that for a long time...
    now all I need is a 1978 vending case, I am sure there are a few laying around somewhere (yup sure there are)

EDIT: just did my usual lurking of BBCE and on the home page Steve writes this "We sold out. Thanks, Steve." with no explanationimage
    Reminded me of the commercial with the guy staring at the computer and realizing that he has just "finished" the internet
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!