Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• "Day 18 - Bought the best deal of the trip today. Nine hours going over 700+ autographed baseballs was draining, but it was worth it. There are 94 different HOFs represented here, many with multiple baseballs, and tons of future HOFs as well. Heading back to the office tomorrow morning to begin sorting through everything we've bought over the past couple of weeks. PSA/DNA will be at our offices on Thursday, so that doesn't give us much time to get everything ready for them."

"We think everything should be ready for our appointment with PSA Thursday afternoon. It will be a long day; they won't be at our offices until around 3pm, and it usually takes 4-5 hours to certify all the autographs. Let's hope our success rate stays extremely high; having autographs not passing the authentication process is a real buzzkill!"

"Day 22 - PSA/DNA came to our offices and spent about four hours authenticating some of the autographed memorabilia we've acquired since they were last here in November. While they did kick out some bad autographs (a couple dozen baseballs, some index cards, a mini helmet, and lots of trading cards), overall we had our best showing yet! I wish every autograph I buy was real, but as much as I know about them, I'm far from being an handwriting expert. Almost all the premium items were good (including all the Mantle items - a first for us!) Of course, now Steve has the unenviable task of getting this up on eBay ID bbcexchange, but with the upcoming trips he has scheduled over the next few weeks, don't expect to see the memorabilia up until mid-April."

"Day 26, 27, and 28 - three long days in the office, three long nights in the hotel room, working on getting inventory ready for sale. Just when I thought I had priced all the graded cards we got back from PSA, another package shows up with another 250+ cards. Also, pricing 800+ baseballs is tough when you consider all the variables - the type of ball, the various inscriptions, and the condition of the ball as well. "

"The 800+ autographed baseballs we've bought over the last month- now all authenticated."

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I definitely think it would be a conflict of interest if Steve was submitting the cards and especially the packs to PSA, but as has been discussed before this is not the case. All the PSA graded material Steve has is from his purchases of people's collections. It would actually make no sense for him to not have PSA graded material based on how popular they are. I've seen GAI graded packs on his website as well. >>

Really? I was under the impression that he was submitting packs. Is that not true? I honestly have no problem with it either way.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    seems like the "dealer" has you all right where he wants you...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MMD -- simply incredible, brother! Enlighten me on the wrapped up case T/L?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>i wonder how many times Steve has read through this never-ending story and face-palmed. >>

I'll bet he could care less
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards

• << <i>@MMD -- simply incredible, brother! Enlighten me on the wrapped up case T/L? >>

Thanks, I believe you are pointing towards my 6-box rack case from 1979? I bought that around 2008 - haven't seen one since. I also bought a 1979 topps vending case that is on the other side of the room. My idea at the time was to build a high end PSA set through submission. I broke about 20 vending boxes and a cut-card case from 1979 and rooted through about 15 pristine raw sets for a large submission recently. The unopened market has taken off so much I have delayed cracking the rest of my 1979s until I can figure out what the actual market is. 1979 is tough to figure because almost no one actually collects this set on the registry. I figure the rack case will continue to appreciate because that is perhaps the best chance to find the next Ozzie 10.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I definitely think it would be a conflict of interest if Steve was submitting the cards and especially the packs to PSA, but as has been discussed before this is not the case. All the PSA graded material Steve has is from his purchases of people's collections. It would actually make no sense for him to not have PSA graded material based on how popular they are. I've seen GAI graded packs on his website as well. >>

Really? I was under the impression that he was submitting packs. Is that not true? I honestly have no problem with it either way. >>

Not from my understanding, but I've been wrong before. I heard that they were having autos done by PSA/DNA which Snuffy did link to, but that has more to do with them augmenting their business model once Reed came on board. Don't know if they are now submitting raw cards as well as they compensate for the decease in unopened purchases, but with the amount of fakes out there I wouldn't blame them for high end cards.

Btw, nice setup Henry. Just make sure those shelves hold out with all that weight. I'm assuming you hit the beams with those brackets for the shelves.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I wish BBCE would asctually list there BIN inventory on their website. eBay is firewalled and I like to buy stuff when I am at work!
    1981 Topps Baseball Wax Factory Sealed 20 Box Case on Ebay for $3799. What are all you unopened collectors thoughts on that? Good deal under the circumstances or not?

• << <i>1981 Topps Baseball Wax Factory Sealed 20 Box Case on Ebay for $3799. What are all you unopened collectors thoughts on that? Good deal under the circumstances or not? >>

Well you are paying $180 a box at that rate. Thats about the highest per box going right now. As a case it is nice,and you wont see many sealed like that, but I still think its a little high.

• And there are hundreds if not thousands of storage rooms & closets like moondog's all over the country. But keep on thinking it's all dried up to make yourselves feel better about your investments, er collections.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even Moondog's room, though, is a drop in the bucket, and primarily very late 70s and early 80s. I guarantee you there aren't thousands or even hundreds of cases of mid 70s cello or rack sitting around.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 1all1all Posts: 510 ✭✭✭
    I don't know Tim. Here's a shot of me in my favorite orange vest walking around my basement trying to get things organized. At this point, I've got my isles labeled 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. -Doug <wink>

• Man Shrevebo, I don't know what happened to you how how PSA burned you but they must of gotten you really good because you are just one big sour puss. Nothing positive ever comes out of you. Why do you even come here since its obvious PSA destroyed your life from what it sounds like.
  • Hi guys,
    I been coming to this site for about 10 years and love the information and knowledge you guys provide. I hardly ever post and don't have a horse in this race but......ShreveBo is probably right. There is probably hundreds if not thousands of rooms like moondogs.
    I work at a warehouse that has supplied all the Mom and Pop stores with all there supplies for the last 50 years. And yes that included Sports cards.
    Now I can tell you that I WORK with 2 older gentlemen that bought cases and boxes of late 70's and early 80's cards. They were small collectors back then and had the sight not to open to much of what they bought. ( Yes they opened a lot of the stuff up and it all isn't gold. I saw cases of 80's Batman and Marvel Cards along with 88 Topps Baseball)

These guys have no computer and get all there sports card knowledge from SCD and me these days. They are fairly well off these days and are happy to smoke there Marlboro's and drink there Miller Lites. They know what they have and aren't in any hurry to sell any. Now if these two normal guys are sitting on this stuff how many other collectors like this have this stashed away.

• ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    WELL BRING IT ALL OUT HATERS!!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • I hate people like Moondog that have so much but don't share.

If he would give us each one box then everyone would be happy.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
    Eddo, you work at a Topps distribution warehouse? I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of cases of 1980s product stashed away but to me vintage is defined as pre-1980 product and I guarantee you neither one of those gentleman has any cases that they had the foresight to save from the mid 1970s unless they started working there in their teens and are still at the same warehouse 40 years later? Also, as far as I know, Topps distributed product back then directly to stores. Have you ever seen any cases of 1970s sportscards in their stash? My guess is these guys may have a ton of mid to late 1980s unopened as your examples would also seem to illustrate. Or they might be spinning the yarn a bit on you after a few of those Miller Lites, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eddo, you work at a Topps distribution warehouse? I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of cases of 1980s product stashed away but to me vintage is defined as pre-1980 product and I guarantee you neither one of those gentleman has any cases that they had the foresight to save from the mid 1970s unless they started working there in their teens and are still at the same warehouse 40 years later? Also, as far as I know, Topps distributed product back then directly to stores. Have you ever seen any cases of 1970s sportscards in their stash? My guess is these guys may have a ton of mid to late 1980s unopened as your examples would also seem to illustrate. Or they might be spinning the yarn a bit on you after a few of those Miller Lites, lol.. >>

+1

Other than

1 - the Rosen's Paris, TN find
    2 - the stashes from Conlon and Fritsch
    3 - a few former Topps executives that personally stashed a case or 2 back in the day

there have been VERY few appearances of massive cases from the mid-1970s and earlier

Dave
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Since the topic of this thread is: "Is BBCE finally drying up?", the OP was just asking if Steve's ability to buy product has become harder. It is obvious the answer is yes unless BBCE is just stashing all of his vintage stuff. There isn't very much listed on Steve's site in the 70's department, even the early 80's is becoming tougher to locate. So with this in mind, does anyone think that Steve is holding back product to sell at the National? And will prices be significant higher?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the website....Steve added some 1980 vending from sealed case, 1981 vending from sealed case, and some 1982 wax boxes. Lets start the insanity :-)

• << <i>Since the topic of this thread is: "Is BBCE finally drying up?", the OP was just asking if Steve's ability to buy product has become harder. It is obvious the answer is yes unless BBCE is just stashing all of his vintage stuff. There isn't very much listed on Steve's site in the 70's department, even the early 80's is becoming tougher to locate. So with this in mind, does anyone think that Steve is holding back product to sell at the National? And will prices be significant higher? >>

I vote for yes to the first question and probably to the second.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost

<< <i>I don't know Tim. Here's a shot of me in my favorite orange vest walking around my basement trying to get things organized. At this point, I've got my isles labeled 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. -Doug <wink>

image >>

Doug, is that a 73 2nd series cello case right to your left?? image

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Since the topic of this thread is: "Is BBCE finally drying up?", the OP was just asking if Steve's ability to buy product has become harder. It is obvious the answer is yes unless BBCE is just stashing all of his vintage stuff. There isn't very much listed on Steve's site in the 70's department, even the early 80's is becoming tougher to locate. So with this in mind, does anyone think that Steve is holding back product to sell at the National? And will prices be significant higher? >>

I vote for yes to the first question and probably to the second. >>

Higher prices? Consider some of what we have witnessed over the past 18 months or so:

1973 Topps BB Wax Box (4th series): 66% increase

- 4Q11 Ebay $1800
    - 4Q11 Collect Auctions $1825
    - 2Q12 Collect Auctions $1791
    - 3Q12 Collect Auctions $1825
    - 4Q12 Collect Auctions $3560
    - 2Q13 Collect Auctions $2471
    - 2Q13 Fritsch $3000

1973 Topps BB Wax Box (5th series): 115%-120% increase

- 4Q11 BBCE $4375
    - 4Q12 Collect Auctions $6073
    - 2Q13 REA $9480
    - 2Q13 Fritsch $CALL

1975 Topps BB Cello Box: 50%-55% increase

- 4Q11 Collect Auctions $1971
    - 1Q12 Fritsch $2400
    - 2Q12 Collect Auctions $2888
    - 3Q12 Collect Auctions $2386
    - 3Q12 Fritsch $2800
    - 4Q12 Collect Auctions $3236
    - 2Q13 Collect Auctions $2991
    - 2Q13 Fritsch $3000

1975 Topps Mini Wax Box: 50%-80% increase

- 3Q11 BBCE $1215
    - 1Q12 Mile High $1375
    - 2Q12 BBCE $1700
    - 2Q13 REA $2251

And few, if any, of these sales had to include sales tax, exhibitor fees, travel/lodging costs, etc.

Prices will almost certainly be higher at National. The real question is how much 1970s unopened product be available there?

Dave

• << <i>I don't know Tim. Here's a shot of me in my favorite orange vest walking around my basement trying to get things organized. At this point, I've got my isles labeled 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. -Doug <wink>

image >>

To dispel the popular 1952 Topps dumped at sea myth. Pictured here is the barge Sy Berger gave to my Dad containing the left over 1952 topps cases. Being my Dad's favorite son he of course left it to me. Here it is being moved to an undisclosed location.

<< <i>

<< <i>1981 Topps Baseball Wax Factory Sealed 20 Box Case on Ebay for $3799. What are all you unopened collectors thoughts on that? Good deal under the circumstances or not? >>

Well you are paying $180 a box at that rate. Thats about the highest per box going right now. As a case it is nice,and you wont see many sealed like that, but I still think its a little high. >>

factory sealed 81 case sold yesterday................amazing
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I bought an unopened wax box of 1981 from Steve about 4 months ago for $90/. It's not like there is some hot rookie card in there driving up the price either. Just a statement on the perceived supply of this older material still out there. Great for everyone who already owns it, but sucks for anyone who still wants it.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    horse meet carrot.

<< <i>I bought an unopened wax box of 1981 from Steve about 4 months ago for $90/. It's not like there is some hot rookie card in there driving up the price either. Just a statement on the perceived supply of this older material still out there. Great for everyone who already owns it, but sucks for anyone who still wants it. >>

$ 700 for a 81 PSA 10 Ricky Henderson recently may have something to do with it
  • 1980 vending is gone.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Since the topic of this thread is: "Is BBCE finally drying up?", the OP was just asking if Steve's ability to buy product has become harder. It is obvious the answer is yes unless BBCE is just stashing all of his vintage stuff. There isn't very much listed on Steve's site in the 70's department, even the early 80's is becoming tougher to locate. So with this in mind, does anyone think that Steve is holding back product to sell at the National? And will prices be significant higher? >>

I vote for yes to the first question and probably to the second. >>

Higher prices? Consider some of what we have witnessed over the past 18 months or so:

1975 Topps BB Cello Box: 50%-55% increase

- 4Q11 Collect Auctions $1971

>>

I was the lucky winner of this box image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered a box last night, and was just informed by email that I'm not getting it, so I guess they sold out earlier than that. Sure would be nice if Steve could put a system in place so people wouldn't have to waste time submitting an order and receiving an invoice for non-existent product...
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Man, it's too bad I don't collect Fleer Stickers...I'd be in hog heaven!
    Nikklos
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    All this is just another OCD behavior...both the hoarding as well as the believing you see patterns where others don't... Ie I'm gonna invest because this stuffs gonna be rare someday.

• << <i>All this is just another OCD behavior...both the hoarding as well as the believing you see patterns where others don't... Ie I'm gonna invest because this stuffs gonna be rare someday. >>

i would imagine that is still a strong mentality in card collecting as that was the predominant attitude that catapulted the business in the 80's. It may not be as obvious today, but it is definitely present in different forms. I personally am trying to strike some harmony with my seller and collector self. So far the collector is winning, with which I am ok. But its not led by greed, but enjoyment.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    This is absolutely crazy. A lot of this stuff is NOT that hard to find.

There are plenty of people who are sitting on nice stashes. About 2-3 months ago I picked up a couple nice 1981 Topps and a nice 1982 Topps vending cases (which I think ended up with Steve).. I have been talking to collections and his friends have friends with collections and it's crazy to think what kind of prices these boxes bring when there are hundreds of cases still available!
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

• << <i>This is absolutely crazy. A lot of this stuff is NOT that hard to find.

There are plenty of people who are sitting on nice stashes. About 2-3 months ago I picked up a couple nice 1981 Topps and a nice 1982 Topps vending cases (which I think ended up with Steve).. I have been talking to collections and his friends have friends with collections and it's crazy to think what kind of prices these boxes bring when there are hundreds of cases still available! >>

Maybe the circle of people "in the know" has grown smaller. Or those with large collections now have bigger collections.
    The seeing patterns where others don't thing...I think there's a few people out there that fancy themselves the next Larry Fristch.

<< <i>1980 vending is gone. >>

81 Vending is still available.........image
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is absolutely crazy. A lot of this stuff is NOT that hard to find.

There are plenty of people who are sitting on nice stashes. About 2-3 months ago I picked up a couple nice 1981 Topps and a nice 1982 Topps vending cases (which I think ended up with Steve).. I have been talking to collections and his friends have friends with collections and it's crazy to think what kind of prices these boxes bring when there are hundreds of cases still available! >>

You're correct that early 1980s product is not that hard to find, and print runs in 1982 and 1983 were probably several times what we saw in 1981, which was probably double or more what we saw in 1980. However, people like me are getting sick of all the bad wax out there, which is pushing up the value of a BBCE sealed box, at least among people who understand there is a real issue out there (such as most of those on this forum). Finding BBCE-wrapped boxes is not that easy, unfortunately, which in part explains why they sell out so quickly.

Also, given that 1982 Topps wax boxes have hovered around $130-200 for the last 20 years, there isn't a lot of downside in my opinion.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
    As far as vending goes, it's tough to find a reputable source so for me it's not so much about supply (which does continue to decline) but about getting a truly case fresh 1980 vending box from a solid source. There are only 24 boxes in a case, so I guess it's not too surprising to see the case sell out that quickly.

• I do wish I have gotten a box or two of the 1980 vending. One for my collection and one to open as the other box I opened, although nice corners, were very much off center. I dont think I pulled anything gradable from that box. But I will have to wait patiently....
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do wish I have gotten a box or two of the 1980 vending. One for my collection and one to open as the other box I opened, although nice corners, were very much off center. I dont think I pulled anything gradable from that box. But I will have to wait patiently.... >>

Still some case fresh '81 bricks available...

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

<< <i>

You're correct that early 1980s product is not that hard to find, and print runs in 1982 and 1983 were probably several times what we saw in 1981, which was probably double or more what we saw in 1980. However, people like me are getting sick of all the bad wax out there, which is pushing up the value of a BBCE sealed box, at least among people who understand there is a real issue out there (such as most of those on this forum). Finding BBCE-wrapped boxes is not that easy, unfortunately, which in part explains why they sell out so quickly.

Also, given that 1982 Topps wax boxes have hovered around $130-200 for the last 20 years, there isn't a lot of downside in my opinion. >>

Well that's sorta relative don't you think? Stagnant money sorta stinks really bad compared to what a mutual fund(or for that matter bond or even savings account) has done since 1993.

A few boxes each year...that's a collection. OCD issues to be sure, but nothing life impacting.

Cases upon cases....that's phsychological issues gone wild and the justifications don't really support it.
    I don't know about prices on 1980s unopened but 1970s unopened boxes and cases have risen sharply in value and pricing over last decade alone. People keep waiting for prices to level off, never mind decline, but it's just not happening. All of this is just a bonus too, as the majority of collectors collect for their personal enjoyment, not to replicate the retirement portfolio.

• stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    To dispel the popular 1952 Topps dumped at sea myth. Pictured here is the barge Sy Berger gave to my Dad containing the left over 1952 topps cases. Being my Dad's favorite son he of course left it to me. Here it is being moved to an undisclosed location.

image >>

Too bad the 1952 Topps wasn't dumped in a landfill in New Mexico. Check out this story on Atari Video games:
    In search of E.T. Video Games
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Also, given that 1982 Topps wax boxes have hovered around $130-200 for the last 20 years, there isn't a lot of downside in my opinion. >>

Well that's sorta relative don't you think? Stagnant money sorta stinks really bad compared to what a mutual fund(or for that matter bond or even savings account) has done since 1993.

A few boxes each year...that's a collection. OCD issues to be sure, but nothing life impacting.

Cases upon cases....that's phsychological issues gone wild and the justifications don't really support it. >>

Well then...I am sure there is a really interesting savings bond or savings account message board that you could switch to and find more enjoyable than this one.

Take care.

• << <i>I think early '80s will follow as late '70s has, it's just gonna take longer because of quantity and quality. There's a finite quantity to this all, and we're witnessing the effects of this first hand. It's pricey fun image >>

When you mention quality issues are you talking about Topps factory QC issues or the prevalence of more and more resealed packs out there as this stuff gets to higher pricey fun levels?
  • holy carp snuffle. i read your last post and thought it was THAT person saying:

'When you mention quality issues are you talking about Topps factory QC issues or the prevalence of more and more resealed packs out there as this stuff gets to higher pricey fun levels?'

Was about to explode.

most excellent maneuver on the avator.
  • 1all1all Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

<< <i>holy carp snuffle. i read your last post and thought it was THAT person saying:

'When you mention quality issues are you talking about Topps factory QC issues or the prevalence of more and more resealed packs out there as this stuff gets to higher pricey fun levels?'

Was about to explode.

most excellent maneuver on the avator. >>

Haha!!! True dat! +1